PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Yurtman

hacksaw
10-24-2006, 05:03
Hey y'all, I've had enough of my present domicile and really don't like the idea of another dwelling with square rooms with nice uniform flat surfaces and lots of questionable products and processes that deplete non renewable resources and/or are health risks from off gassing and the like, so in my search for an alternative I ran across an article on Yurts and the light over my head flashed brightly as I remembered a guy I met who went by the name of Yurtman, a personable chap who had and freely shared a wealth of knowledge of the Mongolian Yurt.

The light went off when I could not find any contact info on him, so here I am asking for your help. If anyone knows how to contact the Yurtman I would really apreciate a heads up or at least forwarding my request on to Yurtman if you can. I realise there's a wealth of info on the web, but I'd still like to talk to someone with personal knowledge of the construction processes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Hacksaw

MOWGLI
10-24-2006, 06:46
If anyone knows how to contact the Yurtman I would really apreciate a heads up or at least forwarding my request on to Yurtman if you can. I realise there's a wealth of info on the web, but I'd still like to talk to someone with personal knowledge of the construction processes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Hacksaw

There was a Yurtman in 2000 who lived near Asheville in a yurt community. Don't remember his real name. He flip flopped. That the guy?

Tha Wookie
10-24-2006, 11:19
Is he from Earth Haven?

Hacksaw, I can put you in touch with a number of other people with yurt knowledge.

Aren't you from GA? There is a sweet yurt eco-tourism place just east of Dalonegah owned by a guy who lives to talk about yurts. But I can't remember his name just now. I also know some professional tee-pee makers, and a very nice one that is for sale ($1500) if you're intested in that route as well.

Here in athens we have people doing cobb-houses at Earth Song, those are very cool too you should check 'em all out.

Johnny Swank
10-24-2006, 11:59
I built a straw bale yurt and lived in it for 2 years during grad school. Give me a holler if you have any questions.

Miss Janet
10-24-2006, 20:41
Hal Jackson, aka, Yurtman, still lives in a Yurt near Asheville. He is now making a few yurts for sale and they really are neat. I was in one of his designs for a weekend this summer. It rained all weekend but it was nice in the yurt. I have lost his phone number but I will PM you a way to get in touch with him.

hacksaw
10-25-2006, 00:03
MAN! You guys are on top of it!

Yes, Janet, it was Hal and thanks for the hook! I still love you!

Wookie, I'll be in touch. And, yep, a natural born Georgia Cracker, B&R in Cumming, GA! In the Athens area from about '71 to '77, I used to live in Bishop, Out Flat Rock Road, In the Infamous Whitehall "G. D. Hippie dope den" as labled by the Watkinsville PO-leece! and in Brumby Hall 'till we got caught!!! finally over on Chase Street in Normaltown. Was a drop in at UGA art and "J" schools until they ran me off, and worked at the now defunct "Easy Truckin' " VW shop until mid 70s when I made the big jump to Little Five Points/Va. Highlands Neighborhoods 'till I couldn't take it any more and ran for the hills. After 6 years here at Big Canoe living in capitalist decadence I can't take this any more, so it's back home to Forsyth County on what is likely the only 10 acre patch of woods left in the County. Since I'll be like permanently stealth camping and I can't handle conventional housing any more, looks like a Yurt to me!

I can go basic open room design about 20 ft Dia since there is a bath/laundry house, Deep water well, electrical service, a functional septic system and a big old shop building already on site, Not to mention a John Deere 450 Bulldozer, a '73 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and a '46 DeSoto Sedan Deluxe to play with! (Yep, it's a caretaker gig) Soooo, yeah, I live in Georgia and have some old and probably useless knowledge of the Greater "Classic City" vicinity- I even know where the tree that legally owns itself is! Looks like a trip to Athens is definately in my future. I'll get in touch beforehand and maybe get you to show me around the alternative housing community if you got the time and inclination.

Thanks a ton for the info, I really do appreciate your taking the time to pass it on!

Johnny, the hay bale design is interesting and something I will include in my design development. Seems like it would be a great insulator but something of a fire hazard. Thanks to you as well for the info!

Y'all done made my day! Whiteblaze folks RULE!

Hacksaw

10-25-2006, 10:18
Come down and see us. The B&B about 1/2mile down the road has yurts. I can set a tour for you. We almost made the hostel all yurts. We were looking a a place in Duck Town, Tn (it is just above Blue Ridge, Ga) to purchase ours. Let us know, we would be glad to help.

hacksaw
10-25-2006, 18:15
Hey Profile,
I appreciate the invite! I been looking for an excuse to come see y'all and this looks like it! My brother lives in Morganton and a trip to his new digs is on tap for this weekend and will be a full blown family get together so I can't do a trip to Dahlonega for a week or so, but I'll be in touch and we can work it out. I'm looking forward to checking out your place too, so expect a call in a few days when I got my November calendar squared away. See ya' soon.

Hacksaw

Blister
10-25-2006, 19:14
Once you get the girl built send me an official yurt warming. Give me an excuse to see an ole friend, and tell Yurtman I said hello. Miss you brotha!

hacksaw
10-26-2006, 02:03
Hey Girl!

God, I'd love to be standing up at Davenport Gap with you and Poster and ....(Dang, I spaced on the dude with the Shepard) right now!!!! That made for a lovely morning up a helluva fun mountain!
(you remember giving me your address when we were in Hot Springs -it was on your credit card reciept? I still got it!!! Don't believe me? PM me and I'll read you back your card number!

I'm looking to have the site work on the place done 'fore winter and get it up and running by spring. It's gonna be home soon as I can make it that, but you know you got a roof and a rack anytime you want one down here in Ga, Girl so all you gotta do is show up!

Great to hear from you, Girl, hope you're havin' fun and doin' Hell....I mean raisin' Well....Oh, you know what I mean!

Come see me Bitchen',

Hacksaw (And yes, I still do..They tell me I can rattle the windows on a good night!) Luvya!