PDA

View Full Version : first time hanging report

scope
10-24-2006, 09:58
Went out this weekend with my HH U/L Explorer for the first time - and I mean really, first time... I don't have any where to put it in my yard so this was literally the first time I've hung! :eek:

This was the section north of Neels Gap, and the first thing I noticed is its hard to find small trees where the straps can wrap around like they're supposed to. I was afraid that this would affect how well the thing stayed up, but it was never a problem. Tying it was easy, although I screwed up one side creating a knot that was difficult to get undone the next day. For not having even practiced before, the 'lashing' as described on the Hennessy website (and vaguely so on the bag) was very easy and I did not have to make any adjustments during the night. :)

I realize this was my first time and that I'm low on the learning curve, but I guess I'd have to say I was disappointed in that I did not lay as flat as I had hoped. I'm a stomach/side sleeper and I found a little too much curve to get comfortable on my side, although pulling my legs in to a fetal position helped. Might have been fine on my back except that my closed cell pad was creating a pressure point on my tailbone. Overall, though, I slept OK, and felt good the next day, despite the fact that rain 'blew' in about 3am and didn't stop until 8am. Plus, I was using a pad and sleeping bag. It was 40 (+/- 2 degrees) out and I felt it would be better to be wrapped up in the sleeping bag instead of using it as a blanket. Probably was best for warmth, but this just made rolling around and staying on the pad more difficult, leading to further sleep loss. :(

Was quite windy in our gap site during the night, but it didn't bother me or the HH. I saw a scout had one setup on Wolf Laurel which was a bit more exposed, and heard he had problems keeping his tarp on, although based on what I see with mine, that must have been a user setup issue. Breakdown was a breeze the next day, both in terms of time and not having to deal with dirt from the ground which might have been nasty with all the rain we had.

While I'm somewhat disappointed I didn't have the experience that I had hoped for, I can't say it was totally unexpected. I knew I was getting into an unknown that had many variables and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. It just made me want to get out again with another setup to see how it performs. If I had the money, I'd certainly get an underquilt - and no, I'm not even going to attempt to sew! - but I think I will try the Speer Extender first with my 3/4 Thermarest. I found it difficult to handle the full length closed cell pad in the hammock so I'm hoping the 3/4 will work better for me - with a small ccell pad as stop-gap for my calves if nec. My hope is that if I'm less constricted with trying to stay on the full pad, I'll be able to adjust enough to lie more flat than I was able to this time. :-?

hammock engineer
10-24-2006, 10:27
Nice report.

I had the same problem with finding small enough trees. The 2 I set up in my backyard are too big. I cut my HH rope leaving about a foot, tied a loop in the rope, then sewed 15 feet of 1" straps to the loop. I tie the 4 wrap speer knot. This way I do not need to mess with tree huggers of the HH knot. Works great for me, might be worth a look.

On the sag issue, make sure the HH is tight. It is going to have a lot of strecth the first few times you use it. Try getting in and putting all of your weight in it, then get out and retie the knot. This seems it help. Also try using trees that are a little farther apart. The may also help with the sag issue. I can lie on my side, but not for bery long on my stomach.

Just Jeff
10-24-2006, 10:39
The tree huggers don't have to go twice around the tree. One wrap is fine, even if there's a big gap between the hugger and the "front" of the tree where the hammock pulls the hugger out. It won't slip.

And you're right - the SPE will help you worry less about the pad and more about sleeping.

And like HE said, if the trees are too close it can reduce your sag, and make sure the ridgeline is tight when you get in.

Keep playing - it's a good excuse to get out in the woods!

TN_Hiker
10-24-2006, 12:19
I'm a fairly new "hanger" as well, but trust me keep working at it -- it is worth the time spent on the learning curve. I "ditched" my stock tree huggers and made my own using 3/4" tubular webbing each about 7 ft long prior to sewing loops on each end. I have been able to get a good wrap on most trees and have not noticed any bark damage from using the narrower straps.

scope
10-24-2006, 13:04
The tree huggers don't have to go twice around the tree. One wrap is fine, even if there's a big gap between the hugger and the "front" of the tree where the hammock pulls the hugger out. It won't slip. Yep, never slipped although it would have made for easier tying up if they were wrapped around once. The HH site says you can tie the straps together, so maybe I'll get another 42" pair and do that?

And like HE said, if the trees are too close it can reduce your sag, and make sure the ridgeline is tight when you get in. To clarify what I think HE said, if the trees are farther apart, you can string it tighter and thereby reduce the sag, right?

JJ - see above

One other thing I noticed is that with the windblown rain, it did not stay dry under the hammock. Had my pack in a garbage bag, but left some other stuff out which could get wet - and it did. I could definitely see the benefit of a hex fly, or MacCat tarp, which if the SPE works out, might be the next investment.

peter_pan
10-24-2006, 13:45
Welcome to the hanging crowd....good report...thx for posting it.

Pan

Seeker
10-24-2006, 15:43
One other thing I noticed is that with the windblown rain, it did not stay dry under the hammock. Had my pack in a garbage bag, but left some other stuff out which could get wet - and it did. I could definitely see the benefit of a hex fly, or MacCat tarp, which if the SPE works out, might be the next investment.

site selection can be a huge help in eliminating wind-blown rain... if you get that 'ideal spot', the rain falls straight down on you, even if it's blowing like crazy outside your particular thicket... but you're right. sometimes you don't have much choice, and a larger tarp helps.

stoikurt
10-24-2006, 16:20
Yes, site selection can be very important. I was on the AT week before last and spent Saturday night at Woods Hole shelter just below Blood Mountain. I first set up my HH and "Neo" tarp on the windward slope just below the shelter. As it was getting dark and colder I realized that was not a good idea. I had my son help me, and we each untied one end and carried the whole rig to a couple trees on the leeward slope. I slept very warm and toasty in the upper 30's that night. :)

neo
10-24-2006, 16:28
Went out this weekend with my HH U/L Explorer for the first time - and I mean really, first time... I don't have any where to put it in my yard so this was literally the first time I've hung!

This was the section north of Neels Gap, and the first thing I noticed is its hard to find small trees where the straps can wrap around like they're supposed to. I was afraid that this would affect how well the thing stayed up, but it was never a problem. Tying it was easy, although I screwed up one side creating a knot that was difficult to get undone the next day. For not having even practiced before, the 'lashing' as described on the Hennessy website (and vaguely so on the bag) was very easy and I did not have to make any adjustments during the night. :)

I realize this was my first time and that I'm low on the learning curve, but I guess I'd have to say I was disappointed in that I did not lay as flat as I had hoped. I'm a stomach/side sleeper and I found a little too much curve to get comfortable on my side, although pulling my legs in to a fetal position helped. Might have been fine on my back except that my closed cell pad was creating a pressure point on my tailbone. Overall, though, I slept OK, and felt good the next day, despite the fact that rain 'blew' in about 3am and didn't stop until 8am. Plus, I was using a pad and sleeping bag. It was 40 (+/- 2 degrees) out and I felt it would be better to be wrapped up in the sleeping bag instead of using it as a blanket. Probably was best for warmth, but this just made rolling around and staying on the pad more difficult, leading to further sleep loss.

Was quite windy in our gap site during the night, but it didn't bother me or the HH. I saw a scout had one setup on Wolf Laurel which was a bit more exposed, and heard he had problems keeping his tarp on, although based on what I see with mine, that must have been a user setup issue. Breakdown was a breeze the next day, both in terms of time and not having to deal with dirt from the ground which might have been nasty with all the rain we had.

While I'm somewhat disappointed I didn't have the experience that I had hoped for, I can't say it was totally unexpected. I knew I was getting into an unknown that had many variables and I'm satisfied with how it turned out. It just made me want to get out again with another setup to see how it performs. If I had the money, I'd certainly get an underquilt - and no, I'm not even going to attempt to sew! - but I think I will try the Speer Extender first with my 3/4 Thermarest. I found it difficult to handle the full length closed cell pad in the hammock so I'm hoping the 3/4 will work better for me - with a small ccell pad as stop-gap for my calves if nec. My hope is that if I'm less constricted with trying to stay on the full pad, I'll be able to adjust enough to lie more flat than I was able to this time. :-?

:) it only gets better,practice makes perfect,happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

RockyTrail
10-24-2006, 17:01
JJ -. I could definitely see the benefit of a hex fly, or MacCat tarp, which if the SPE works out, might be the next investment.

Unfortunately MacCat is temporarily out of business (he's now in engineering school). He makes good stuff...He says he'll be back, but I dunno, I went through the same training and there is no way in tarnation I could have had time to make and sell tarps while in school, but then I have a one-track mind I guess.