PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seen this DVD

Boat Drinks
10-24-2006, 14:43
And if so, is it any good?
http://www.amazon.com/TREK-Journey-Appalachian-Brian-Burnham/dp/B0002DFWHQ/sr=8-9/qid=1161715279/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9/104-0387211-5228758?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

TREK - A Journey on the Appalachian Trail

Lone Wolf
10-24-2006, 14:45
Yup. One of the better of the coupla dozen out there.

Blissful
10-24-2006, 14:52
Yes, I've seen it many times. Very good. It's not technical about the trail, the shelters, etc itself but more on the emotions and thoughts each of the guys go through as they progress along the trail, as well as interviews with other hikers. Though these guys really cruised it.

Actually, I'd love to see one of these done from the women's perspective.

Kerosene
10-24-2006, 15:07
I think that is was one of the better videos out there, although some of the language was a little rougher than I wanted my daughter to hear (despite the fact that she already hears it at school).

I camped with Strider's dad (Strider is one of the hikers who helped produce Trek) at the Pickle Branch Shelter on a lovely October 2003 evening. Nice guy.

1Pint
10-25-2006, 13:17
Yes, I've seen it many times. Very good. It's not technical about the trail, the shelters, etc itself but more on the emotions and thoughts each of the guys go through as they progress along the trail, as well as interviews with other hikers. Though these guys really cruised it.

Actually, I'd love to see one of these done from the women's perspective.

My library has Trek in their DVD collection, so I watched it. Then I made some friends watch it because I wanted to give them another way to understand why I want to do this thing.

Like Blissful, I liked that it wasn't focusing on the technical because there are enough other sources (WB, books, etc) for that. My favorite part is where they are talking about experiencing the biggest highs and lows all in the same day.

I would absolutely love to see a film focused on women hikers. I imagine it would be really interesting to see where women's experiences were the same and also radically different from men's experiences. So, Blissful, go for it!

wpbucher
11-02-2006, 10:26
When the four horsemen enter New York they jump off a ledge into the water. Any ideas on the name and location of this body of water?

Lone Wolf
11-02-2006, 10:29
Canopus Lake maybe?

Jaybird
11-02-2006, 10:49
And if so, is it any good?
http://www.amazon.com/TREK-Journey-Appalachian-Brian-Burnham/dp/B0002DFWHQ/sr=8-9/qid=1161715279/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9/104-0387211-5228758?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
TREK - A Journey on the Appalachian Trail

Yes, saw it when it first came out..very good.:D
production quality is totally professional!

wilconow
05-16-2007, 21:16
they must have started really late? they're wearing t-shirt & shorts in camp in the first few days and it's so green

Footslogger
05-16-2007, 21:59
My wife (BadAss Turtle) hiked with them on and off on her thru in 2001 and she was in the background (off camera) in some of the scenes. Great group of people.

I met my wife in Monson and hiked the Wilderness with her. Met them but fell behind and got to Katahdin the day they summitted. Quite a party at Katahdin Stream Campground when they got back down.

One of the hikers in the video "Sheriff" is now the owner of the Baja Cafe (formerly the Side Track Cafe) in Damascus. Stop in and say HEY to Sherrif (Jared) for old Footslogger and BadAss Turtle !!

Gaiter
05-17-2007, 00:07
some clips from TREK are on www.youtube.com along w/ a couple other AT documentary clips

Jim Bowie
05-17-2007, 09:01
I haven't heard of this video; I actually started the same day as these guys at Springer on my own failed thru (made it to Troutdale/Daleville/Troutville/Daledale - I get confused around there). They were nice enough guys, but I definitely think that in some ways they already had the story written before the trip began, if you know what I mean. Hand selected trailnames (One guy used a symbol, ala Prince), more focus, less spontaneity.

HYOH and these guys were all knowledgeable and prepared and I only knew them at the beginning of their journey. Besides, 3 out of 4 of them put me to shame! I do remember the fourth (who was the fittest hiker of them all) getting hit and run on a bike in Erwin. I definitely wouldn't mind checking out the video, I just don't want to pay 20 bucks for it!

Jim Bowie
05-17-2007, 09:02
they must have started really late? they're wearing t-shirt & shorts in camp in the first few days and it's so green

Yeah, we started on May 1st

pumatrack
05-17-2007, 11:54
I agree, the film is one of the best but they spent entirely too much time talking about the one person that left the trail. I own virtually every one of the AT films out there and this is still one of the best. Someone has to make an AT flick that really shows the trail though. Too many of these films make it look like a walk in the park and don't show how steep the trails are are all the rock climbing that needs to be done....