PDA

View Full Version : Reading Material....

Hammock Hanger
05-08-2003, 12:44
When I was hiking with a friend last month we got around to talking about taking along a book to read on long hikes. I said that some hikers tear books into sections. She and I both agreed that tearing apart a book is hard for us to do. She (Trailtalker) said that she collects the book sections that come every month in the back of the readers digest. She brings a few along and has no problem trashing them when done. Also easy to put a few in each maildrop box.

I thought that this was a neat and lightweight way to carry some evening reading material.

Just thought I would throw that idea out there into the Whiteblaze cozmos...;)

Hammock Hanger

coaster
05-08-2003, 16:39
I need a book to read before nighty night. The one thing I aint gonna skimp on in weight is a good paperback! I dont like the idea of tearing a book apart, there have been plenty of times out on an adventure where I would find a well needed read in some hostel. Would piss me off if I just found sections. I can see the arguement about carrying dead weight, but someone down the way will really appreciate it! If you carry 3 books and juggle them you'll really only be carrying 2!hahahahahaha

Peaks
05-08-2003, 16:44
I carry a paperback, but try to limit it to 200 pages. No war and peace on a backpacking trip.

mongstad
05-08-2003, 20:59
I can't go anywhere without a book. It's food. That's one thing missing from this site, book recommendation. I am reading now "Our Southern Highlanders" by Horace Kephart. Originally published in 1913, this guy blew it all off and moved to the Smokies. Good book.

SkyKing
05-09-2003, 21:54
I ALWAYS carry a paperback to read on the trail. 200 pages..hummm......that's just a book REVIEW!! :) About 2 inches worth of book is just right..weight is a little more than your "no skid".......and can be used for that in an emergency!!

asmtroop3
05-10-2003, 07:17
I'm a Tom Clancy fan which means I have to dump all food, sleepings systems and water in order to bring any of his works on the trail. I've considered tearing some up into sections, but what if I got to a good part and ran out of pages?????

I just read the trail guide and write in a journal instead.
Sooner or later I might have my own adventure novel.(lol)

Shoe Leather Express
05-17-2003, 22:12
Penthouse Letters. Nothing like laying down for the evening to "Dear Penthouse...." :D

brian
05-17-2003, 22:43
asmtroop: on my last 8 day trip, the bear and the dragon came with me not read, and by the end...this 13 oz monster of a book was completed. Was it worth the almost extra pound. Absolutly

Brian

asmtroop3
05-19-2003, 09:07
Brian,
Always worth it, yes. And if you subscribe to ultralight motto , "Dual uses or it ain't getting packed", it has a couple of other uses:
1. The bear and the Fire Starter.
2. The TP and the Dragon.....

I will bring it (Red Rabbit) since I am at a "can't put it down Stage" this weekend if I have not finished it yet.

brian
05-19-2003, 14:32
...but red rabbit is only harcover for the time being........

your not serious

asmtroop3
05-21-2003, 06:53
It's either that or read one of those OP center books again.
I don't think they are some of his best works.:D

Read my byline. No I take very little serious.