PDA

View Full Version : hiking skirt venture...

Hammock Hanger
10-24-2006, 21:53
Ladies:
I have some material and time on my hands. So, I have decided to make a few hiking skirts. This is a new venture for me and I’ll see how it goes. As most of you know I am an avid hiker so being on the trail and not behind the sewing machine is my main objective. I have seen others with good intentions get overwhelmed and then not be able to produce. I doubt I will get more then a few orders but wanted to state up front that I will only take orders I feel I can complete in a reasonable amount of time. I will be leaving for the trail in early April 2007, so no orders will be accepted after March 1, 2007. – I hope to return and would be able to take orders after September 2007.

I have two bolts of material, lavender and a dark gray. This material is similar to those used in some of the hiking pants with the zip off legs, in the nylon family. I washed out the skirts in the sink, simulating a stream or baggie. They were comfortably dry with in 2 hours and totally dry around 3 hours. Of course the elastic in the waistband takes a little longer. If you were wearing the skirt while wet I am sure it would dry faster from the heat of your body.

The skirt is a mock wrap (it is not a wrap). It does have the covered slit like a wrap so there is plenty of leg freedom. I have put on a small plastic buckle that is completely ornamental and can be left of if you are counting ounces. I also have tried to make the elastic in the waist easily accessible so that you can cinch it in as you lose weight on the trail. A little clip can unsecure the elastic and after pulling it as tight as you want a few tacking threads will hold it back in place.

I can customize the pockets to your liking. On the proto-type I put a double pocket on one side. The upper one goes all the way down to the bottom of the shorter one. I did this so that a folded map would fit appropriately. The bottom pocket is normal sized. I could put pockets on both sides whatever you want.

I am asking $25.00 for the skirt. (I have seen them for much more in the stores, and this one gets some custom attention.)

You can view the proto-type skirt at: http://photos.yahoo.com/hamockhngr2002

If interested let me know. I can send fabric swatches if desired, just send a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to:
Susan Turner
10162 Meadow Pointe Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32221-8002

I can accept PayPal or check.

I will need:

n your waist size
n your hip measurment
n the length you would like
n what type of pockets
n buckle or no buckle
n which color
any other comments you want to give me. I’ll see what I can do.