PDA

View Full Version : Women's Hiking Skirt

Hammock Hanger
10-24-2006, 21:56
Ladies:
I have some material and time on my hands. So, I have decided to make a few hiking skirts. This is a new venture for me and I’ll see how it goes. As most of you know I am an avid hiker so being on the trail and not behind the sewing machine is my main objective. I have seen others with good intentions get overwhelmed and then not be able to produce. I doubt I will get more then a few orders but wanted to state up front that I will only take orders I feel I can complete in a reasonable amount of time. I will be leaving for the trail in early April 2007, so no orders will be accepted after March 1, 2007. – I hope to return and would be able to take orders after September 2007.

I have two bolts of material, lavender and a dark gray. This material is similar to those used in some of the hiking pants with the zip off legs, in the nylon family. I washed out the skirts in the sink, simulating a stream or baggie. They were comfortably dry with in 2 hours and totally dry around 3 hours. Of course the elastic in the waistband takes a little longer. If you were wearing the skirt while wet I am sure it would dry faster from the heat of your body.

The skirt is a mock wrap (it is not a wrap). It does have the covered slit like a wrap so there is plenty of leg freedom. I have put on a small plastic buckle that is completely ornamental and can be left of if you are counting ounces. I also have tried to make the elastic in the waist easily accessible so that you can cinch it in as you lose weight on the trail. A little clip can unsecure the elastic and after pulling it as tight as you want a few tacking threads will hold it back in place.

I can customize the pockets to your liking. On the proto-type I put a double pocket on one side. The upper one goes all the way down to the bottom of the shorter one. I did this so that a folded map would fit appropriately. The bottom pocket is normal sized. I could put pockets on both sides whatever you want.

I am asking $25.00 for the skirt. (I have seen them for much more in the stores, and this one gets some custom attention.)

You can view the proto-type skirt at: http://photos.yahoo.com/hamockhngr2002

If interested let me know. I can send fabric swatches if desired, just send a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to:
Susan Turner
10162 Meadow Pointe Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32221-8002

I can accept PayPal or check.

I will need:

n your waist size
n your hip measurment
n the length you would like
n what type of pockets
n buckle or no buckle
n which color
any other comments you want to give me. I’ll see what I can do.

Tinker
10-24-2006, 22:23
That's a great idea!

Have you thought about making custom hiking kilts for guys?

I'd have to muster up the courage to wear one.:o

Hammock Hanger
10-24-2006, 22:31
That's a great idea!

Have you thought about making custom hiking kilts for guys?

I'd have to muster up the courage to wear one.:o

Actually I have, but thought I would do this a little at a time and see how it goes. Test the water so to speak. If it works out I may try doing a male version... whatever that would be. Bigger flap?:confused:

I bet you would look cute in one, look how nice Sgt Rock looks.:p

Tinker
10-24-2006, 22:36
Cute would not be the word for it!

I might get cited for "visual pollution". :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-24-2006, 22:40
HH, when sewing for men keep this in mind - all gut, no butt.

Gaiter
10-25-2006, 00:48
do these come in plus sizes?

Hammock Hanger
10-25-2006, 07:14
do these come in plus sizes?

If you want it too. I can also make it wrap vs a mock wrap if you want.

Programbo
10-25-2006, 08:01
Has the trail changed that much?...Because I can`t say I ever saw a gal in a skirt all my years of hiking back in the olden days

Programbo
10-25-2006, 08:04
HH, when sewing for men keep this in mind - all gut, no butt.

Maybe most men..I`m 29" on my waist and 36" on my hips ;)

Hammock Hanger
10-25-2006, 08:09
Has the trail changed that much?...Because I can`t say I ever saw a gal in a skirt all my years of hiking back in the olden days
Where ya been hiking buddy... I have been wearing a skirt for the past 4 years. Lots of ladies do. Better yet a lot of guys do.:rolleyes:

Programbo
10-25-2006, 18:38
Where ya been hiking buddy... I have been wearing a skirt for the past 4 years. Lots of ladies do. Better yet a lot of guys do.:rolleyes:

I`m sure they do ;) .....But when I said I had never seen a gal hiking in a skirt I was talking about like 30 years ago.....All I`ve done recently is day hiking so I may have missed a lot of skirted gals (And guys) as of late.

Hammock Hanger
10-25-2006, 22:43
I`m sure they do ;) .....But when I said I had never seen a gal hiking in a skirt I was talking about like 30 years ago.....All I`ve done recently is day hiking so I may have missed a lot of skirted gals (And guys) as of late.

You need to get out there and hike... it is amazing what you can SEE especially if you hike as the sweep!!!:eek: