PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where this will go but,

Fat Man Walking
10-24-2006, 23:41
I would like to get my hands on a copy of Ray Jardine's book "Beyond Backpacking."

Don't think I will ever get that maniacal about ultra light backpacking, just too much in love with some of my creature comforts, but, I am getting older and would like to take some of the stress off my knees.

I presently have an order in on Amazon.com for a copy but have had my order delayed a couple of times and am running out of patience with that.

If anyone has a copy that they would like to get rid of for a reasonable fee, please send me either an email ([email protected]) or a personal message here.

Heater
10-24-2006, 23:53
I would like to get my hands on a copy of Ray Jardine's book "Beyond Backpacking."

Don't think I will ever get that maniacal about ultra light backpacking, just too much in love with some of my creature comforts, but, I am getting older and would like to take some of the stress off my knees.

I presently have an order in on Amazon.com for a copy but have had my order delayed a couple of times and am running out of patience with that.

If anyone has a copy that they would like to get rid of for a reasonable fee, please send me either an email ([email protected]) or a personal message here.

Just cancel the order if you can and get it at you local bookstore or outfitter.

refreeman
10-25-2006, 00:07
http://www.ray-way.com/bb/index.shtml

highway
10-25-2006, 05:47
How about your nearest library?

If they dont have it, have them check for it in their library system and forward it. The service is free, as is the book:sun

Rain Man
10-25-2006, 09:48
See if it's available used on www.alibris.com. If so, it'll be quick and cheap! It's where I get almost all my hiking books now.

Rain:sunMan

uscgretired
10-25-2006, 10:25
4 available on Ebay half.com. Priced from $14.95 to $63.00.

DawnTreader
10-25-2006, 11:02
See if it's available used on www.alibris.com (http://www.alibris.com). If so, it'll be quick and cheap! It's where I get almost all my hiking books now.

Why do they want $63.00 for this book?? is it out of print? seems a little sketchy to me. I would bet whiteblaze.net is a better resource for lightweight backpacking than this Jardine character. I mean, seriously, there are so many 2000 milers on this site.. The things I learned on this site really blew my mind when it came to using them in the field. Thanks to everyone for the help :)
I think the key is learning how to search this site.. It was indeed tedious sorting through all the crap here, but my lightweight questions were answered with a little time and patience. I can't imagine Ray Way has anything to offer in his book that isn't covered or bested in the archives of this amazingly resourceful website....I like it a lot.....:banana

Just Jeff
10-25-2006, 19:08
Jardine's book organizes everything and presents it in a logical, easy to follow fashion that discusses the principal first so you know why, then gives the practical tips on how. It's very convenient, and even though I don't agree with everything in there, I thought it was a very good introduction to the lightweight mindset...it showed me a new way to think about hiking gear.

WB has loads of info on it (definitely more practical tips than Beyond Backpacking), but as you said it can be tough for a newbie to sort through, and to really understand the benefit of doing something one way over another, or to really get how multi-use works in the pack without reading several threads that he may or may not find at the right time.

The book provides structure that WB does not.

Excellent book, IMO, but I wouldn't pay $63 for it.

jasonklass
10-25-2006, 20:26
You've got mail!

Fat Man Walking
10-25-2006, 21:13
Thanks to all for the advice. One thing we can count on here at WB is a variety of ideas and attitudes. What makes the world go round.

Don't know if yall need anymore evidence of my mental state other than to know that like most here, I am OCD about hiking but, I ain't crazy enough to pay $65 for a paperback on how to hike light.

Hadn't thought about the library and I'm not sure what kind of selection that the local guy has here but, a couple of new avenues to explore. Thanks.

Anyway, Thanks again for the help. See yall up the trail.

Pringles
10-26-2006, 12:12
Hi,

Jasonklass says "you've got mail," so I assume something (pleasant) is afoot. But the folks who are suggesting that you contact your local library are right on the money. If your library doesn't own it, they can interlibrary loan it. Mind you, it's interlibrary-loan, not interlibrary-keep, but it works great! The library I work at has Beyond Backpacking, and we interlibrary loan our books. I know we have Beyond Backpacking, because I picked it out and put it on the shelf--in fact, most every book order that I see has a few backpacking/kayaking books added to "round it out." I call it "collection development". :sun So check out that local library! When they get tired of interlibrary loaning all your backpacking requests, maybe they'll BUY some backpacking books, so have those suggestions ready. ;) Now I gotta work on our video collection (mumble, mumble).

Seriously, though, most libraries are really happy to take suggestions for purchases. They want to have books that their patrons want. But be warned that it takes a library a long time to buy a book and process it.

Beth

Rain Man
10-26-2006, 17:50
Why do they want $63.00 for this book?? is it out of print? seems a little sketchy to me. ...

Don't know, as I didn't search for it. But I will say I've bought books for $20 (give or take) that also listed for $200 or so. You get the idea.

These folks are often book afficianados. If the book is in mint condition, perhaps signed by the author, etc., then it may go for a book collector's high price.

On the other hand, another copy may no longer have its dust cover, may be an old library copy and marked up, etc. To a collector, this copy of the book is about worthless.

I suppose that's what you saw.

Vi+
10-26-2006, 19:21
Jardine was among the first to write well about lightweight backpacking.

Before him, people who actually practiced lightweight backpacking were considered part of a lunatic fringe, and irresponsible regarding their personal safety. Today some non-hikers still consider all backpackers part of a lunatic fringe, which is a bit overblown since clearly I shouldn’t be included. And some hikers still consider some other lightweight hikers irresponsible as to their safety. Some of this condemnation is warranted since hikers are people, and some people are, after all, idiots (using the loosest sense of the term).

I think some of his advice is a bit excessive, but the book is very worthwhile reading, especially if you haven’t spoken with or read advice from experienced backpackers. Before him, all hikers HAD TO carry all manner of things which are now widely considered optional or unnecessary.

I read his books (the second is only a rehash of the first; either book will do just fine) and compared the items and weights of his and his wife’s gear list with my own. There was very little difference, just a few ounces. A solo hiker who reads Jardine or carefully considers the advice of lightweight hikers, and wants to reduce the weight carried, will pare down much of his/her carry weight and arrive pretty close to what the two Jardine’s shared. I’m not a lightweight hiker, I just hate to carry weight, so I became a lighter weight hiker. Jardine told me it was alright to do that, and I think, all in all, he’s right.

HikeLite
10-27-2006, 10:09
I don't think that book is worth buying.