PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best merino wool base layers?

refreeman
10-25-2006, 00:01
Merino wool base layers debate:

Hi you’ all and welcome to the merino wool base layers debate. Thanks for stopping in, let’s here you thoughts on the questions below.

Who makes the best merino wool base layers? I have Smartwool and I am very happy with it. I want to buy some more merino wool base layers. You might know that this merino wool isn’t cheap, but you’re always glad you have it when you are on the trail. If there is a just as good brand that cost less I like to try that one out.

So, here are the merino wool base layer brands that I know of:
SmartWool
Icebreaker
Ibex
Patagonia
Helly Hansen – Hybrid wool / synthetic

1. Do you have any other brands to recommend?
2. Do you have any experience with merino wool base layers? What Brands? So how do your product do?
3. What is you favorite base layer? (any material)
4. Would you buy your merino wool base layer again?
5. Any additional thoughts?

Thanks everyone,
Refreeman

orangebug
10-25-2006, 08:29
Personally, I don't filter my water, but don't try to get others to follow my example. Others are very enthusiastic over hammock hanging.

Now, what was this debate about?

I have only one merino Smartwool shirt purchased on SteepandCheap. I'm quality and value conscious on the issue. I've never been disappointed by Smartwool. If I see another value on sale, I would check it out.

DGrav
10-25-2006, 08:35
I have become a bit of an IBEX addict. Their quality is outstanding and their customer service is awesome.

Yes it can be a bit $$$ but they do have a lot of great deals when the seasons change.

The next to skin layers I have from Ibex are:

Long Johns
Ribbies Top
Echo-T
Q-T
Outback Jersey

humunuku
10-25-2006, 09:24
check out www.craft-usa.com , i have one of their med weight (non-wool) base layers, it is amazing how warm it is...so i can't imagin how warm the super warm (wool) stuff is. also check out www.woll-underwear.com, I have two of thei shirts...seem like the are well made and toasty to me.

humunuku
10-25-2006, 09:25
www.wool-underwear.com - sorry i didn't proofread

refreeman
10-25-2006, 11:07
I found another brand at http://www.campmor.com.
Duofold 100% Merino Wool Midweight Underwear Crewneck (For Women)
Ladies this lloks like a deal to steal! I wish it was a men's.
It is so cheap I'm wondering about the quality.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Here's link to it.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/search/main.jsp?ip_server=&ip_text=merino+wool&ip_searchWithin=Off&ip_config=&ip_page=&ip_constrain=&ip_relax=&ip_sortBy=&ip_perPage=&ip_viewBy=&ip_autoSummarize=&ip_summarizeBy=&ip_expandDrillDown=&ip_collapsDrillDown=&ip_logNrow=&ip_logFeatureId=&ip_logHref=&ip_textRemoveTerm=&ip_state=c0%3Di%253A1%253B770%253BCategories%252CD escription%252CName%253Bsmartwool%253B%253Asmartwo ol%253B1%252C1%253B%252B0%26q%3D25%26as%3D1%26i%3D CATENTRY_ID%26k0.0%3Dsmartwool%26qt%3D1161737459%2 6qid%3DqSRD5oIUTsuWI%26tq%3D1%26vid%3DveVpsQdYmpqH G%26qtid%3DqSRD5oIUTsuWI%26s1%3DCATENTRY_ID%252F%2 52F1%26v0%3Dsmartwool%26rid%3Dr6rMcJW8zwAoF%26s0%3 Diphrase%2Brelevance%252F%252F0%26t%3D0&ip_bizRuleSrc=

refreeman
10-25-2006, 11:08
Ohh the price is:

Duofold 100% Merino Wool Midweight Underwear 1/4 Zip T-neck (For Women)
Price: $14.97
Price: $14.97

refreeman
10-25-2006, 15:44
Here's one of the best quotes that I found on whiteblaze on this subject.
Its by user soulrebel.
--------------------
I've recently blown out my cc buying smartwool and icebreaker's for myself and wife.

Smartwool has micro, lightweight, and midweight---loose relaxed fit, looser necklines and sleeves
icebrekaer has skin190, skin200, skin260gm/in -- more athletic fit, closer neckline, shorter sleeves.

smartwool micro is definately the lightest of the bunch but so light I actually ripped a small hole in the other day by accident.

Icebreaker has more styles and colors in the t-shirt crew and stitching is double cross stitch so longer lasting, but who knows if you'll keep it that long. Some icebreakers do NOT have over the shoulder seams so they're more comfortable with backpacking, but this doesn't usually apply to their crew t-shirts.

smartwool is just as good and I have those also. Both are nice to find on sale for 30-40 bucks at season's end... Expect to pay 60-80bucks for longsleeve smartwool or icebreakers.

comes down to this 4 me-- smartwool micros--spring/summer lightweight--spring/summer/fall midweight---fall/winter
icebreaker skin 190---spring/summer/fall/winter icebreaker 200 spring/fall/winter -icebreaker 260 fall/winter
-----------------------------
link to soulrebel's post.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11270&highlight=merino+wool

orangebug
10-25-2006, 18:34
Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

I've had several Duofold skivies and shirts. They are a very good value, but I've only used their synthetic fabrics.

humunuku
10-26-2006, 09:33
1. has anyone used Ibex woolies bottoms? Are they warm enough for very cold days, or are they too light? (I can get them wholesale, but I have to order them, so i don't know what they are like)
2. Does polypro still insulate when wet like wool does?

thanks

JimM
10-26-2006, 21:56
I've used Duofold for years with complete satisfaction.
Jim