PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU pronounce "Appalachian"?

RockyTrail
10-25-2006, 11:57
Do you say "App-uh-latch-un" (3rd syllable sounds like door "Latch") or "App-uh-lay-shun" (3rd syllable sounds like "Lays" potato chips).

I use the door latch pronounciation (probably because I grew up in the NC foothills) but my better half uses the potato chip version (she is a Southern Belle from the deep south).
I used to think it was a North/South thing, but I dunno...what do you think?

I would like to post a poll, but I can't figure out how.:-?

RockyTrail
10-25-2006, 12:03
Oops, I see how to do the poll now, have at it!

hikerjohnd
10-25-2006, 13:30
I love it when people correct me - I pronounce it with the Lays sound - One of my students corrected me in class - boy did I have fun with her!

Thor
10-25-2006, 14:03
I actually switch back and forth without really thinking about it. This doesn't appear to be an option, though, so I went with 'grunt'.

Monkeyboy
10-25-2006, 20:01
I pronounce it "Appalachian"......:)

freefall
10-25-2006, 20:15
When talking to people that should know what I'm talking about I just say A.T. Otherwise, `tater chips!

littlelaurel59
10-25-2006, 20:48
I have always maintained that the people who live in a place pronounce it correctly. In these parts, it's "Ap-pa-LATCH-un." Always has been. There is a state university in Boone by that name.

Anything else brands you a flatlander tourist.

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2006, 21:14
When Earl Shaffer said it, it sounded like "apple-at-chin".

Dust
10-25-2006, 21:29
I pronounce it "Appalachian"......:)

I'll second that.

SGT Rock
10-26-2006, 03:44
When Earl Shaffer said it, it sounded like "apple-at-chin".

Cause despite being a yankee, Earl knew what was right.

Here is a snippet from a book I read, it explains it in a way that most folks that hike can understand.

One of my favorite authors is Sharyn McCrumb. She is originally from around Boone, but she normally writes about a fictitious town around east Tennessee called Hamlin which is based on Erwin according to her. In one of her books “The Songcatcher” there is a scene where an AT hiker is at a hostel up on the NC boarder (sounds sort of like Hot Springs) and the hostel owner Baird is talking to a yankee AT hiker with the trail name Eeyore and the subject of pronunciation comes up. It is one of the best ways I have ever seen the subject presented:

“Interesting part of the country. Lots of stories.”

“Lots of Celtic bloodlines in the people here. Stories is what we do.”

“Well, I’ll he interested to hear some stories. This is my first visit to Appa-lay-chia.”

Baird said gently, “Well, folks in these parts call it Appa-latch- a.”

Eeyore shrugged, as if the information did not interest him. “In New York we say Appa—lay-chia.”

Baird had this conversation rather often, too, and in this round he was less inclined to he charitable. The statement We say it that way back home sounded like a reasonable argument unless you realized that it was not a privilege Easterners granted to anyone other than themselves. If a Texan visiting New York pronounced “Houston Street” the same way that Texans pronounce the name of their city back home, he would he instantly corrected by a New Yorker, and probably derided for his provincial ignorance. But here in rural America, the privilege of local pronunciation was revoked. Here, if there was any difference of opinion about a pronunciation, Eastern urbanites felt that their way was the correct one, or at least an equally accept able option. One of Baird Christopher’s missions in life was to set arrogant tourists straight about matters like this.

“You know,” he said to Eeyore, gearing up to his lecture in genial conversational tones. “Over in Northern Ireland once I visited a beautiful walled city that lies east of Donegal and west of Belfast. Now, for the last thousand years or so the Irish people who built that city have called it Derry, a name from darach, which is the Gaelic word for ‘oak tree.’ But the British, who conquered Ireland a few hundred years back, they refer to that same city as Londonderry. One place: two names.

“If you go to Ireland, and you ask for directions to that city, you can call it by either name you choose. Whichever name you say, folks will know where it is you’re headed and most likely they’ll help you get there. But you need to understand this: When you choose what name you call that city--- Derry or Londonderry- -you are making a political decision. You are telling the people you’re talking to which side you’re on, what cultural values you hold, and maybe even your religious preference. You are telling some people that they can trust you and other people that they can’t. All in one word. One word with a load of signifiers built right in.

Now, I reckon Appalachia is a word like that. The way people say it tells us a lot about how they think about us. When we hear somebody say Appa-lay-chia we know right away that the person we’re listening to is not on our side, and we hear a whole lot of cultural nuances about stereotyping and condescension and ethnic bigotry, just built right in. So you go on and call this place Appa-lay-chia if you want to. But you need to know that by doing that you have made a po-li-ti-cal decision, and you better be prepared to live with the consequences. Friend.

Eeyore blinked at him anti took a deep breath. “Appa-latch-ah?” he said.

“That’s right,” said Baird. “Appa-latch-ah. Say it a tune or two and you’ll get the hang of it. Pretty Soon any other way of saying it will grate on your ears.”

Another long pause. Eeyore peered at his smiling host, who had gone back to shelling peas and humming an Irish dance tune. “Who are you?”

Baird Christopher smiled. “Why, I’m a cosmic possum.”

McCrumb, Sharyn.” The Songcatcher”. New York, NY, Penguin Putnam, 2001.

Miss Janet
10-26-2006, 11:38
This problem with pronunciation was solved years ago when it was decided that north of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "lay"... South of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "latch". If you don't believe me then check out the notice inside the restrooms at the ATC in Harpers Ferry. There you will find the proclamation posted for all to see... I just don't know who decided it!

BlackCloud
10-26-2006, 16:28
I have always maintained that the people who live in a place pronounce it correctly. In these parts, it's "Ap-pa-LATCH-un." Always has been. There is a state university in Boone by that name.

Based on my experience that too many people who live near the AT mispronounce so many other words that I would'n use this as a standard.

There's no such thing as a crik...

Skyline
10-26-2006, 16:45
This problem with pronunciation was solved years ago when it was decided that north of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "lay"... South of the Mason Dixon Line it should be pronounced with a "latch". If you don't believe me then check out the notice inside the restrooms at the ATC in Harpers Ferry. There you will find the proclamation posted for all to see... I just don't know who decided it!

Exactly right. I was about to post nearly the same words.

So, it's "latch" then, right? :-)

stickman
10-26-2006, 17:57
I grew up in West Virginia. If you don't pronounce it right, I'll throw an apple atcha!

Stickman

DavidNH
10-26-2006, 18:32
I gotta say..it just sears (burns) my ears when ever I hear someone speaking of the Appa-latch-in trail.

From Ct. to Maine..and places in between with mountains way more serious than anything south of there... it is always pronounced Appalay shun trail or occassionally appa lay tchin trail.

appa-latch-in trail just sounds wrong. And pronouncing it that way would label you as some backwoods southern hick..at least to my ears. Amd probably to the ears of anyone living north of Tennessee!

Davud

tiamalle
10-26-2006, 20:45
I gotta say..it just sears (burns) my ears when ever I hear someone speaking of the Appa-latch-in trail.

From Ct. to Maine..and places in between with mountains way more serious than anything south of there... it is always pronounced Appalay shun trail or occassionally appa lay tchin trail.

appa-latch-in trail just sounds wrong. And pronouncing it that way would label you as some backwoods southern hick..at least to my ears. Amd probably to the ears of anyone living north of Tennessee!

DavudIt means"for ever"take a long time trying it each way:D

littlelaurel59
10-26-2006, 22:17
Based on my experience that too many people who live near the AT mispronounce so many other words that I would'n use this as a standard.

Sure there is. I got one out beside my house. Sometimes I get one in my neck:D

SGT Rock
10-27-2006, 02:15

Just like there is no such thing as a Caa, draa, and earl is a title, not something that goes in your caa.

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 02:39
I'm with Miss Janet in saying that how it's pronounced all depends on where you are.

It was strange hearing the way you southerners pronounced it (ya, I made fun of it to the folks back home sometimes), but while I was there it sounded just about right. As soon as I got north, it went back to appa-lay-shun, and that felt just about right, too.

SGT Rock
10-27-2006, 02:39

Davud

And it just burns our ears to hear someone say it the other way. But I reckon we all ought to just change down south to make the yankees feel better and not offend their delicate ears :rolleyes:

I guess having most of the 6,000' plus peaks in the south means we don't have any of the serious mountains down south. Classic.

I wonder how you pronounce Appalachee when it comes to the Indian tribe? Or Appalachicola, FL? Or the Appalahicola river? Hmmmm :-? Do you note some dual standard in how it is done up north?

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 02:50
There's just one way to do it up north -- the right way. APPA-LAY-CHUN.

I'd say, learn to appreciate how wonderful it sounds while you're up here, but I agree it must sound horrible to a southerner. Nothing sounds more charming then the southern accent. Ah, I do miss it!

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 02:51
That's SHUN. APPA-LAY-SHUN! Big difference between SHUN and CHUN.

RAT
10-27-2006, 03:04
Some say Apple Latch Un,,, ??

Thor
10-27-2006, 08:47
Just like there is no such thing as a Caa, draa, and earl is a title, not something that goes in your caa.

And what the hell is 'wooder'? Apparently what flows from faucets in Jersey is tree-based.

Paul Bunyan
10-27-2006, 09:48
There's just one way to do it up north -- the right way. APPA-LAY-CHUN.

I'd say, learn to appreciate how wonderful it sounds while you're up here, but I agree it must sound horrible to a southerner. Nothing sounds more charming then the southern accent. Ah, I do miss it!

I'm sorry, but here in Greene County Virginia, (the home of the bonefied redneck) we pronounce it Apple-a-che-an.:)

Tbun
10-27-2006, 10:01
Here's how the dictionary says to say it:

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=00-database-info&db=web1913) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?pt=appalachian&ia=web1913&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse %2Fappalachian)
appalachian
\Ap`pa*la"chi*an\, a. Of or pertaining to a chain of mountains in the United States, commonly called the Allegheny (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=allegheny) mountains.

Note: The name Appalachian was given to the mountains by the Spaniards under De Soto, who derived it from the neighboring Indians. --Am. Cyc."

The way they use it in the midwest (lay) is typically considered the most "neutral" dialect, but as far as I can tell, experts tend to say that however they use the language where you are is the correct way to use it... being from the north east, I say the experts are a bunch of hippies and that the appa-lay-chian trail runs along the appa-lay-chian mountains (from GA to ME).

Ender
10-27-2006, 10:11
The north won the war, therefore we get to pick. It's Appa-lay-shun!!! :p

**Runs for cover**

I'm kidding, of course. The name derives from the Appalachee indians, and the mountains were named by the Spanish explorers after the natives. So, the "latch" pronunciation has most likely been around longer. But language is ever evolving, which I personally think is cool, so I think there's no wrong way to say it. Whatever makes you happy. ;)

longshank
10-27-2006, 12:09
If I'm in the south, I use a long "A", and when int he north, I use a short"A".

longshank
10-27-2006, 12:11
And what the hell is 'wooder'? Apparently what flows from faucets in Jersey is tree-based.

Is that how people from Jersey say "water"? That's a new one for me, and I'm orig. from there.:-?

Thor
10-27-2006, 12:13
Is that how people from Jersey say "water"? That's a new one for me, and I'm orig. from there.:-?

At least some of them do. It may be a regional thing. I have cousins who live near Atlantic City who 'worsh' things in 'wooder'.

Ender
10-27-2006, 12:20
At least some of them do. It may be a regional thing. I have cousins who live near Atlantic City who 'worsh' things in 'wooder'.

I've heard that a lot in PA, but not in Jersey. Never been to AC though...

The jersey people I know pronouce it "watah".

doodah man
10-27-2006, 12:47
Well....
I am not so sure that I should jump in here, but what the heck. As I am neither a northerner nor a southerner, but a westerner (Colorado and now California) and pretty remote from the area under discussion, I don't know if my vote should count. However, as my father was city guy Minnesota and my mother was a farm girl from Louisiana and they met in Nawlins (New Orleans to the non locals) I did grew up hearing lots of dueling pronunciations for different words or even totally different words for the same thing. (For the small flowing stream - creek vs. crik, the gas pedal on your car - accelerator vs. footfeed, etc.). I am pretty certain that the first time I heard someone pronounce Appalachia was decades ago on one of those Sunday morning infomercials asking for donations to help out poor children in some coal mining community or other. They pronounced Appalachia as apple-ay-chee-ah and Appalachian as apple-ay-chee-un. Since that is the way I first heard it pronounced, that is how it sticks in my brain. To avoid putting anyone off next year during my A.T. hike, I may just have to take the grunting option. doodah-man.

SGT Rock
10-27-2006, 13:13
FWIW the New Orleans accent is often portrayed wrong in movies too (you may agree with me doodah man) but when I went south of New Orleans (yes there is some land south of there) I thought I was back in Chicago when people talked to me.

Alligator
10-27-2006, 13:32
At least some of them do. It may be a regional thing. I have cousins who live near Atlantic City who 'worsh' things in 'wooder'.There's no "or" or "oo" sound. More of an "ar", "aw", or "ah" sound.

Thor
10-27-2006, 13:36
There's no "or" or "oo" sound. More of an "ar", "aw", or "ah" sound.

I believe I know my cousins better than you do :)

Alligator
10-27-2006, 13:46
I believe I know my cousins better than you do :)I believe I lived in various parts of NJ for over 25+ years, including four years outside AC. I think you have a little wahter in your ears;) .

Skyline
10-27-2006, 14:09
Here's how the dictionary says to say it:

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=00-database-info&db=web1913) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?pt=appalachian&ia=web1913&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse %2Fappalachian)
appalachian
\Ap`pa*la"chi*an\, a. Of or pertaining to a chain of mountains in the United States, commonly called the Allegheny (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=allegheny) mountains.

Note: The name Appalachian was given to the mountains by the Spaniards under De Soto, who derived it from the neighboring Indians. --Am. Cyc."

The way they use it in the midwest (lay) is typically considered the most "neutral" dialect, but as far as I can tell, experts tend to say that however they use the language where you are is the correct way to use it... being from the north east, I say the experts are a bunch of hippies and that the appa-lay-chian trail runs along the appa-lay-chian mountains (from GA to ME).

The locals are always right.

The local natives where I live, Luray VA (just west of Thornton Gap for AT hikers), pronounce the town LOO-ray. Most everyone else says La-RAY. Therefore, LOO-ray it is!!! :-)

Skyline
10-27-2006, 14:12
Wanna hear some wierd-azz pronunciations of everyday words? Go to Pittsburgh, PA.

Check this out...

http://www.pittsburghese.com/

chknfngrs
10-27-2006, 14:14
So I have a college degree from App-ah-latch-ayne State. But I hike on the Appa-lay-chun Trail all the time.

I once knew somebody who lived in Be-Yoona Viss-ta (Buena Vista) VA, which I guess is down the line some from LOO-ray.

I also hiked up Mt. Warshington when I was a kid.

Alligator
10-27-2006, 14:17
The locals are always right.

The local natives where I live, Luray VA (just west of Thornton Gap for AT hikers), pronounce the town LOO-ray. Most everyone else says La-RAY. Therefore, LOO-ray it is!!! :-)I agree wholeheartedly Skyline. I say it "App-uh-latch-un", like the people that live there say it.

I used to live in Keasbey, that's "Kaysbee" and a little place outside AC called Absecon, that's "Ab see' cun"

"Come see LOO-ray Caverns!":D

Footslogger
10-27-2006, 14:31
Moved out here from Marietta, GA

...that's MAY' RETTA

'Slogger

StarLyte
10-27-2006, 14:34
I can't believe there is a thread on this.

What Pokey says.

It's Blackstone early tonight.

SGT Rock
10-27-2006, 14:37

What Pokey says.

Actually this comes up regularly on the site. Same ****, different day.

bobgessner57
10-27-2006, 19:07
Many of the pronunciations in the southern mtns are rooted in olde english.
Some of the "misspelling" is also straight from the old days as are many words that may still be heard such as hoped for the past tense of help, clumb as past tense of climb, etc. Colorful speech makes the journey interesting.

The quickest way to piss off a southerner is to invoke "The way we do it up north..." clause. Be true to yourself and pronounce Appalachian the way your mama told you.

Heater
10-27-2006, 20:55

What Pokey says.

...just reminded me. They had Blackstone at the Stones concert. How appropriate! Thought of you when I saw that.

Jester2000
10-27-2006, 21:27
I pronounce it "Apple ache-ing." 'cause hiking on it makes my apples ache.

"Wooder" is a Philly liquid, and you should make sure all of your shots are up to date before you drink any.

While I feel that "the locals are right" sounds like the way to go, a really long freakin' chain of mountains involves an awful lot of locals, yes?

Never felt like my pronunciation was a political statement or an insult, although I appreciate McCrumb's understanding of the peculiar nature of my Dad's hometown . . .(while there, by the way, I don't speak with an Irish accent, and the folks over there aren't insulted by it one bit. Ain't that a shocker?)

Just one more random thought: the first time Miss Janet asked me if I was a "hocker," I thought she thought I was going to spit or something. . .

StarLyte
10-27-2006, 21:31
Hey Jester-
you're posting a lot these days.....before you know it, we'll see Jester's mom posting.
:D :D :D

--back to the thread---

bigcranky
10-28-2006, 10:37
'Wooder' is a South Jersey/Philly thing. My mom is from Trenton, and still asks me if I want a 'glass of wooder.' I finally stopped pronouncing it that way after 26 years in the South. (It took me almost that long to start pronouncing Appalachian the right way :) )

RockyTrail
10-28-2006, 10:53
Sorry Rock and Starlyte if this subject is old news, but here's my take on it:

When I was growing up in the south, we had only a handful of northerners in our community. While they were certainly accepted and valued friends, we thought their speech habits were, well...peculiar. Then, during my college years, a buddy invited me to visit Philadelphia one summer after he went up there to work. As we made the rounds through the rowhouses of North Philly, I became an instant rock star primarily because of my North Carolina accent (well, good looks help too)! Some people have said I sound like Andy Griffith to them; if so, then I guess it's because he too is from old N.C.

Ever since then, I have really enjoyed meeting people from all parts of the country with their various regional dialects. I think these intangible things are something to be valued and cherished, as they are quickly fading due to the mass communications we have today. Even my own kids have a watered-down version of the southern accent. In a few years, we will all sound like midwesterners (no offense to midwesterners, but they are the accepted "neutral" standard).
I LOVE it when I hear an authentic Boston, NYC, Minnesota, Maine, Texas, or "Nawlins" accent! I think it adds depth to one's personality. If you have it, be proud of it. It's all good. And in my opinion, there is NOTHING cooler than that aristocratic-sounding central Virginia accent that I imagine Robt. E. Lee once had!

So, I say pronounce "Appalachian" as you see fit, be true to yourself, but please don't put down your neighbor if he says it differently.
Remember, to a GI in a foxhole, with bullets whizzing overhead, that yankee, southern, NYC, or midwestern accent may be the sweetest sound he's ever heard.
Sincerely, Rocky:sun

Roland
10-28-2006, 12:41
Rocky, yours is possibly the best post I've read on this subject.

Red Hat
10-28-2006, 18:02
I must confess that I always used to say "apple lay chian" but I was corrected by a local in Hot Springs. He said "if you're gonna hike it, you at least ought to know how to say it". Now how I pronounce it depends upon where I am. So when I am south of Virginia I don't offend their ears. And once I am north, I don't offend theirs. When I'm here at home in Texas, I say it the same way I used to.

Miles
10-28-2006, 18:15
Pronunciation 1:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?appala01.wav=Appalachian

Pronunciation 2:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?appala02.wav=Appalachian