PDA

View Full Version : My Equipment List :-?

RagingHampster
05-08-2003, 14:22
Ok, so I've got my pack ready for my first "light-weight" long-distance hike this spring. I'm going 120 miles on the M&M trail in central MA/NH. Heres my gearlist, and I'm obviously looking to strip even more stuff. I use alot of TP (mostly for blowing nose which I pack out), love my camera, and going with a Cadillac bag is a must.

Hamster's Gear List:

- 5lb Stripped LL Bean Mt Washington Pack
- 2lb 0.25oz DLG Arapaho Solo Tent w/9 Ti Pegs & Stuffsack
- 2lb 5oz TNF Flight 35*F Bag w/Stuffsack
- 10oz Modified Therm-a-Rest Z-Rest

- 2.75oz Soda-Can Stove, Ti Stand, Simmer Cap, & Windscreen
- 1oz Soda Bottle (20floz) for Fuel
- 6.75oz MSR Ti 1L Pot, Lid/Pan/Plate, Litelifter, & Mesh Stuff Sack
- 1oz MSR Ti Fork & Spoon w/Lock-ring
- 1.5oz Plastic Funnel, 12 Cone Coffee Filters, Zip-Lock Bag
- 3oz Aqua Mira Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment Set
- 1.5oz Platypus 3L WaterBag & Cap (empty)
- 1.75oz 1L Widemouth Soda Bottle for Water (empty)

- 4.5oz First Aid, Repair, & Emergency Kit
- 2.5oz Petzl Tikka LED Headlamp
- 1oz Victorinox Classic Swiss Army Knife
- 0.5oz P-38 Can-Opener
- 1.5oz Oakley Polarized Sunglasses & Rubber/Nylon Holders
- 4oz Sil-Nylon Foodbag & Nylon Rope
- 10oz Toiletry Kit (Toothbrush & Paste, TP, & Cleanwipes) & Bag
- 0.75oz Lighter
- 0.75oz Blistex Lip Medex w/Menthol
- 1oz Trashbag Pack Cover

- 2.5oz TNF Gore Windstopper Highpoint Hat
- 2oz OR Polartec 300 Mittens
- 2lb TNF Denali Jacket
- 2oz Ozark Trail Ultralight Plastic Poncho
- 1oz XL Bandana w/Hitchhiking Signs Dyed On
- 6oz Seal Skinz Waterproof Sock Shells
- 1oz Small Trashbag For Clothing

- 3oz Section Guides & Maps
- 3oz 16 Pages Paper & Mechanical Pencil
- 1lb 9.75oz Sony F-707 Digital Camera w/Polarizing Lense & Two 128MB Memory Sticks

17lb 11.25oz Dry Pack Weight

Stuff on Body...
- 5oz Cotton ( :eek: ) Short-Sleeve T-Shirt
- 1lb 8oz REI Synthetic Convertible Pants/Shorts w/Belt
- 2oz SmartWool Medium Weight Merino Wool Socks
- 1lb 14.25oz Teva Guide Wraptor (Pair)
- 3oz Baseball Cap
- 3oz Watch w/Alarm
- 17oz Leki Makalu Ultralite Ti Hiking Poles (Pair)

I am considering a lighter (but still cadillac-comfort) bag.
I carry 1lb methenol, 2.5lb food/day, water as needed.

Hammock Hanger
05-08-2003, 14:27
truly cuts down on nose wipes... HH

RagingHampster
05-08-2003, 14:40
truly cut down on nose wipes... HH

Hahaha... yeah I know... I'm horrible with that :p

tlbj6142
05-08-2003, 14:50
truly cuts down on nose wipes...I always thought that is why we had sleeves on our shirts.:banana :banana

MedicineMan
05-09-2003, 09:38
loose the tent
loose the pad
loose the heavy pack
and you could get to 10pound base weight easily
dont forget a sil-nyl pack liner large enough to be a VBL which can also be an emergency shelter for you or someone else in hypo
and have you seen any posts here on hammocks-just teasing :)

steve hiker
05-11-2003, 17:28
Let's see, your pack weight come to 21 lbs. 3 oz., including a 5 lb. pack. That makes the pack almost one-fourth (25%) of the total pack weight. Damn. Do you really need such a heavy, heavy-duty pack to carry 16 lbs. 3 oz of gear?

brian
05-11-2003, 21:20
Get a P-1 or P-2 from ULA equipment. Well, just look into it. They are both great packs for a great price. ula-equipment.com

Brian

tlbj6142
05-11-2003, 21:49
I'll speak up for RH;

He has two other lighter packs, but just loves this one. I think there is a separate thread on the vary topic.

brian
05-11-2003, 22:12
now that the brain juices are flowing....i seem to remember reading that thread:-\

Brian

JackW
05-15-2003, 16:30
17 Pounds? Heck, I don't see how I can get away with less than 40 pounds and that is before I add food and water. I want to hike in the wilderness and I want to be comfortable. I know that I will suffer for my desire for the soft life but heck, I will be in the woods and under the stars and that is reward enough. Perhaps after a few miles north of Springer I will think differently but by then I will have gained some strength and will be thinking about what I am missing (pillow, warmer clothing, radio, blanket, cover for sleeping bag to increase warmth, another hat or two, scarf, pocket warmer (the kind duck hunters use) honey (for tea), Can of Dinty Moore Stew, etc. Ah, it is hard to escape the progress of the civilization I'm so used to. We shall see.

Rambler
05-28-2003, 13:13
Hampster, I have to think hard to criticize your list. Suggestions: 2lb Denali -- can you find a lighter layering system without giving up warmth? 20 ounces of fuel is enough for 20 meals. You might not have to carry so much at once , especially in NH. Pack: This where you can really save the pounds. The frameless choices really do work. (Golite and GVP-4) Mountainsmith Ghost is popular and reviewed at thru-hiker.com. Granite Gear has a low price model on sale, 3200 cu., I think. You have found a lightweight tent. Start thinking about tarps. Not only can you save weight, they fold down into a very compact size and you can use your hiking poles for supports. A 2lb tent is great. My homemade bug-proof tarptent with line and 10 pegs weighs 1.5 lbs, but the stuff sack is only 10"x 8"x 2.5", flat not round. Saves weight and space and keeps me comfortable.