PDA

View Full Version : Miss Janet's hostel, the good and the bad

John B
10-25-2006, 15:07
I stayed at Miss Janet's hostel on the evening of October 19, used her shuttle service the following morning, and returned to shower and pick up my car on Oct. 24.

The good: Her hostel is clean, very reasonable, easy to find, and located near the services most hikers want. But to talk about only the facilities would really sell short this hostel. Quite frankly and without exaggeration, Miss Janet is one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. She has that unique ability to make people feel that she's your best friend and that she's known you for ages. Holiday Inn, for example, can provide you with a bed and a shower; Miss Janet provides you with a home.

The bad: There is no bad there.

Gaiter
10-25-2006, 15:19
Miss Janet is one of the few people in the world that you just instantly give respect too, an amazing lady. And she gives respect right back!!!

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2006, 15:25
I agre with John 100%, but can't help but point out that he visited in mid-October!

If he were there in April or May, he'd find it very different indeed.

Janet's house is a remarkable place, and unique on the Trail, but folks need to be aware that it's quite different in the springtime at the height of hiker season, and over the years, there have been a few people that have found it a bit too crowded, busy, and active for their tastes.

A vey small fraction of these folks have actually complained about the place, in Trail journals, and elsewhere, which frankly, amazes me.

Those few people who expect peace, quiet, and solitude when they go into town for some rest and relaxation might want to keep this in mind.....or they can always visit Janet in October!

StarLyte
10-25-2006, 15:47
Hey JohnB-

Very nice of you to state this about Janet's.

Yes, there were hikers that stayed there this spring that gave a poor impression of Janet's. It upset me terribly. They obviously have never been to a hostel on the Appalachian Trail during busy thru-hiker season. Janet didn't think twice about it. She's beautiful like that.

RITBlake
10-25-2006, 16:07
simply one of the finest, if not the finest hostels/hostel owners on the trail.

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2006, 16:15
Boston:

First of all, go there and see for yourself, and THEN get back to us on what's logical and what ain't.

But yeah, there are absolutely places on the Trail that are all good.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2006, 16:18
Rusty's ain't one of em'.:cool:

WalkinHome
10-25-2006, 19:22
The good: It's all good

The bad: She doesn't serve lobstah enough!!

weary
10-25-2006, 21:30
Rusty's ain't one of em'.:cool:
No. But Rusty's is different -- at least before they turned the lights on. I found it a great place to stay -- and observe.

My favorite trail hostel is The Cabin, of course. I'm going there Thanksgiving -- with several kids and grandkids -- including Mathew, who sort of just popped up a couple of years ago without any advance warning -- at least to his grandparents.

Weary

geckobunny
10-25-2006, 22:09
The good thing about Miss Janet's...she gives 100%. And then musters up more to give. And when she runs out of that...somewhere she finds more to give.

The bad thing about Miss Janet's...you have to leave her hostel (eventually) to continue hiking ... but you can always come back :)

A-Train
10-25-2006, 22:40
Is there REALLY and off season for Janet?? I stopped by for a day or two enroute to Asheville on a wild weekend trip from Vermont to see Yonder play. It was February 19th for crying out loud. Shouldn't be any hikers right? There were about 10 folks staying the night, some who were in the process of hiking, some who were just visiting, and others who were staying temporarily. I'm not sure the place is ever truly free of hiker stench and funk. And thank God for that.

Doctari
10-26-2006, 09:07
I agre with John 100%, but can't help but point out that he visited in mid-October!

If he were there in April or May, he'd find it very different indeed.

Janet's house is a remarkable place, and unique on the Trail, but folks need to be aware that it's quite different in the springtime at the height of hiker season, and over the years, there have been a few people that have found it a bit too crowded, busy, and active for their tastes.

A vey small fraction of these folks have actually complained about the place, in Trail journals, and elsewhere, which frankly, amazes me.

Those few people who expect peace, quiet, and solitude when they go into town for some rest and relaxation might want to keep this in mind.....or they can always visit Janet in October!

As I stated in "Words of wisdom" from a while ago:
> All, & I do mean ALL! Shelters, Campsites, Hostels, Motels, Restaurants, Stores, & etc. Will have someone say something bad about them. Listen to them or not, I chose to not listen, & have had many a good experience at places I was warned against stopping at / visiting. On the opposite end, EVERY: Shelter, Campsite, Hostel, Motel, Restaurant, Store, & etc. will be SOMEONE’S favorite. <

There is just no pleasing some people. :rolleyes:

Doctari

Rain Man
10-26-2006, 11:14
There is just no pleasing some people.

One of the nice things about nice people is that they WANT and handle well constructive criticism. I know Miss Janet and I bet she'd LOVE to know if something were amiss at her place.

This Pollyanna idea that there can be no wrong in the world with a particular place is just that. Every place might be improved or tweaked, either now or in the future. Recently I think someone asked about donating a computer to Miss Janet's place. IMHO, that is evidence of "criticism" (someone not happy about something and voicing it), just a constructive, productive kind.

I give talks and presentations from time to time in my profession upon request, sometimes to college classes, sometimes to fellow professionals. I am mature enough to know I can't be objective about myself, nor that it does me much good to listen to fans who will only heap out praise. The folks I want to hear from are the good critics, who by "complaining" help me polish the rough edges or expand the things that are strong and good. I even created a critique form so that I could "urge" folks to give balanced and complete and honest feedback.

Again, in my opinion one of the good things about Miss Janet is that I bet she'd love balanced, worthwhile feedback, and she'd take it in the spirit given, or let it roll off her back like a backpacking duck in an AT downpour.

Besides, I'm not worried on her behalf that there's going to be an overwhelming flood of negativity directed at Miss Janet!!!

Rain:sunMan

Grampie
10-26-2006, 12:26
I first met Miss Janet during my 2001 thru. She had not opened her hostle yet but was in the planning stage. I followed her progress, on Whiteblaze, and struggled with her as she delt with the problems, one at a time.
I was so glad, for her, when she finally put all the pieces together and opened to service hikers.
This spring I had the opportunity to visit Janet. Her hostle is much more than just another "trail stop". It has developed into a MUST STOP. Janet offers so much, to those who stop by, to add to your trail experience. She has such a large and loving heart.
She is a special person who helps to make the AT WHAT IT IS.:sun :sun

Gray Blazer
10-26-2006, 12:33
One of the nice things about nice people is that they WANT and handle well constructive criticism. I know Miss Janet and I bet she'd LOVE to know if something were amiss at her place.

This Pollyanna idea that there can be no wrong in the world with a particular place is just that. Every place might be improved or tweaked, either now or in the future. Recently I think someone asked about donating a computer to Miss Janet's place. IMHO, that is evidence of "criticism" (someone not happy about something and voicing it), just a constructive, productive kind.

I give talks and presentations from time to time in my profession upon request, sometimes to college classes, sometimes to fellow professionals. I am mature enough to know I can't be objective about myself, nor that it does me much good to listen to fans who will only heap out praise. The folks I want to hear from are the good critics, who by "complaining" help me polish the rough edges or expand the things that are strong and good. I even created a critique form so that I could "urge" folks to give balanced and complete and honest feedback.

Again, in my opinion one of the good things about Miss Janet is that I bet she'd love balanced, worthwhile feedback, and she'd take it in the spirit given, or let it roll off her back like a backpacking duck in an AT downpour.

Besides, I'm not worried on her behalf that there's going to be an overwhelming flood of negativity directed at Miss Janet!!!

Rain:sunMan

.OK, then.I was camping AT Beauty Spot last July and I wanted to meet Miss Janet so I stopped by her house and she was not there!! She was (GASP!!) on vacation in (of all places) Florida!! Another bad thing is that there should be giant signs all over Erwin directing you to Miss J's as it was a little bit difficult (for me) to find!! I hope I wasn't too harsh. Sorry.:D

Gaiter
10-26-2006, 12:54
ya can't blame her for taking a vacation every once in a while, no one can be around hiker stench all year long!!!
But i like the idea about making signs leading to miss janets. maybe like peaisburg va, where there are blue blazes leading to the hostel up the hill. what color should her blazes be? if miss janet would like this done, I'd be willing to work out a wkend if someone wants to help w/ this.

Gray Blazer
10-26-2006, 14:06
what color should her blazes be?

Candy Cane Stripes.

Just Jeff
10-26-2006, 15:49
Might want to check with the rest of the community before you go painting the town red. Or blue. Or candy cane stripes. :)

bfitz
10-26-2006, 15:53
Forgiveness is more easily obtained than permission.

Gaiter
10-26-2006, 16:02
lol, i think checking w/ both miss janet and the town would be a given, maybe even showing the town pics of the pearisburg blazes. anyone have a testimonial about those being helpful?

RockyTrail
10-26-2006, 18:04
If blazes don't work, how about a yellow-brick road?:D
Just watch out for the munchkins

tiamalle
10-26-2006, 20:26
Boston:

First of all, go there and see for yourself, and THEN get back to us on what's logical and what ain't.

But yeah, there are absolutely places on the Trail that are all good.Ms Janet is super

Gaiter
10-26-2006, 20:27
i hear they bite, meaner than the ponies in grasyon highlands

atraildreamer
10-26-2006, 20:40
WIth the arrival of the 7 puppies, this time next year Miss Janet will have quite a pack to sic on the complainers! :eek:

(Not that she would ever do that, of course! :D )

Congratulations to Miss J. on the arrival of her new grandson! :banana

Thor
10-27-2006, 09:20
The bad thing about Miss Janet's...you have to leave her hostel (eventually) to continue hiking ... but you can always come back :)

Actually, this relates to an actual bad thing about Miss Janet's. The place is TOO good, and thus people don't leave. When I showed up there were people swarming all over the place, a couple dozen hikers at least, some of whom had been there a week or more..possibly much more, but that was rumor. I remarked that the place looked like someone had "kicked over an anthill".

Now, I'm not one to expect peace, quiet, and solitude at a hostel. In fact, finding things OTHER than peace, quiet, and solitude is half the reason for going to a hostel in the first place, but I don't care for the 'sardine' experience so much :D I'm sure they would have made room for me somewhere, but sleeping on the floor wasn't terribly appealing and I moved on to a hotel.

So, there you have it, an actual complaint about the place. It's just too good. Come on, people, move on and make room for others! ;)

sherrill
10-27-2006, 10:46
Uh oh, we might be looking at a Miss J's franchise....:D

jodestick
05-25-2007, 09:53
can someone give me directions to miss janets? i am coming from I40 and meeting a friend who is hiking. just her address would help. her website doens't seem to be working.

thanks!

jodestick
05-25-2007, 09:57
scratch that....i mean i will be coming from johnson city....I-26

thanks!

jlb2012
05-25-2007, 10:26
There are three Erwin exits from I-26 - take the second one (for Rt 107 I think), left turn off exit ramp (toward Erwin) cross RR tracks, straight through traffic light onto a smaller street, go one block and right turn on Elm Ave., Miss Janets House is on left in that block or the next block - 220 Elm Ave.

jodestick
05-25-2007, 11:53
thanks so much!!!!!!

tallfran
05-26-2007, 01:04
It is exit #37 off of I-26. Then follow directions given. Be careful! Miss Janet's is definitely a vortex...

LEGS
05-26-2007, 03:31
If blazes don't work, how about a yellow-brick road?:D

MUNCHKIN IS HIKIN THE PCT, SHES ABOUT 300 MILES INTO IT SO FAR, BUT SHE'LL BE BACK TO JANETS WHEN SHE FINISHED!!! HAHAHAHAHAHQHA SO WATCH OUT!

Vi+
05-26-2007, 13:43
Rain Man,

Post #14 is a wonderful post. Thank you.

You advised:

“(S)omeone asked about donating a computer to Miss Janet's place. IMHO, that is evidence of "criticism" (someone not happy about something and voicing it), just a constructive, productive kind.”

“One of the nice things about nice people is that they WANT and handle well constructive criticism.”

If you ever wonder about donating $1,000,000.00, more or less, to the Vi+ fund, don’t hesitate. DO IT.

I’m a nice person. I want precisely this type of constructive, productive criticism, and I handle it well.

Thanks.

P.S. Send me a private message when you’re ready. I’ll provide you all the relevant information about a bank I sometimes use in Switzerland. I’ll be standing by the computer waiting for your PM. Don’t pull out now.

Honey Dew
05-28-2007, 22:35
Miss Janet's place is great! She is the sweetest and most giving person you'll run across...and I think that may be detrimental in some ways. I noticed a few people that were taking advantage of her hospitality during my stay there. But, it's Miss Janet's place and she runs it as she wants to. I met many great people there. There was always great conversation going on...and great food too! Thanks Uncle Jack! You're the best! But next time, ask Miss J for the bacon! lol! Miss J, thank you so much and it was a blessing to finally meet you. Mountain Dew has told me many great things about you and your family and I hope that ya'll will get to come visit as planned. God bless you in your future endeavors! You will be great missed!

Always
Honey Dew

Ron Haven
05-28-2007, 22:54
Miss Janet's place is great! She is the sweetest and most giving person you'll run across...and I think that may be detrimental in some ways. I noticed a few people that were taking advantage of her hospitality during my stay there. But, it's Miss Janet's place and she runs it as she wants to. I met many great people there. There was always great conversation going on...and great food too! Thanks Uncle Jack! You're the best! But next time, ask Miss J for the bacon! lol! Miss J, thank you so much and it was a blessing to finally meet you. Mountain Dew has told me many great things about you and your family and I hope that ya'll will get to come visit as planned. God bless you in your future endeavors! You will be great missed!

Always
Honey DewMiss Janet is a legend :D even if you did try to drown me on my birthday at trail days.PS did you find that jar of jelly I left you in that bag:banana

Gaiter
05-29-2007, 03:52
okay, i've got a computer that i will no longer need when i move, it works alot better than the one that ms. janet has in that little room off of the bunk room, but it really needs more memory
right now it only has 256mb
does anyone have a stick of this that they aren't using? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0740394

Uncle Silly
05-29-2007, 13:00
okay, i've got a computer that i will no longer need when i move, it works alot better than the one that ms. janet has in that little room off of the bunk room, but it really needs more memory
right now it only has 256mb
does anyone have a stick of this that they aren't using? http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0740394

thickredhair,

That's standard desktop RAM memory -- look for the specs "PC3200" or "400mhz", "184-pin DIMM" to make sure you get the right module. Don't buy from Dell as they'll charge a fortune ($71!!). I prefer Crucial brand memory, eg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146532 -- right now NewEgg.com has this for $38 shipped. Other brands can be found cheaper but I've had good experiences with NewEgg and with Crucial memory.

If you're serious about donating your computer, holler at me and maybe I can arrange to pick it up and get it to Miss Janet's place.

--silly

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-29-2007, 14:28
Ms. Janet for prez - if she can handle thrus and sectioners, she can handle the world with ease. :D

Gray Blazer
05-29-2007, 14:39
Ms. Janet for prez - if she can handle thrus and sectioners, she can handle the world with ease. :D

Finally, you and I agree on something political.:sun

1Pint
05-29-2007, 14:50
I had planned on staying at Miss Janet's during my thru this year. Unfortunately, I fractured my ankle prior to Erwin. So it was a major surprise when I received a beautiful picture of Miss Janet and the crowd staying at the hostel all holding a sign saying "Get Well Laura" and a card signed by them.

Just way too cool! Thanks Miss Janet! :sun

Laura/1Pint
Class of 2008 :D

Gaiter
05-29-2007, 14:51
thickredhair,

That's standard desktop RAM memory -- look for the specs "PC3200" or "400mhz", "184-pin DIMM" to make sure you get the right module. Don't buy from Dell as they'll charge a fortune ($71!!). I prefer Crucial brand memory, eg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146532 -- right now NewEgg.com has this for $38 shipped. Other brands can be found cheaper but I've had good experiences with NewEgg and with Crucial memory.

I can't really afford to buy a stick right now, was hoping someone might have one. (i'm graduating from college next week!!!, living off of nothing, ramen diet, luckly parents still give me gas money)

If you're serious about donating your computer, holler at me and maybe I can arrange to pick it up and get it to Miss Janet's place.
ha and pass up an excuse to go up there myself? as long as my schedule works out, i'll be able to get up there, assuming gas doesn't go up to $4/gal

-gaiter

Uncle Silly
05-29-2007, 14:56
I can't really afford to buy a stick right now, was hoping someone might have one.

yeah, i got that; i'm in the same boat. just figured i'd point out the specs on what was needed and supply a cheaper alternative to the link you gave, in case someone decided to be generous and buy the part outright.

ha and pass up an excuse to go up there myself? as long as my schedule works out, i'll be able to get up there, assuming gas doesn't go up to $4/gal

fair enuff! but don't bet on the gas, apparently it's already there in Chicago area... :(

StarLyte
05-29-2007, 15:40
I just want to say thanks Uncle Silly...you always show your kindness and generosity to the AT Community.....I remember when you helped Trail Angel Mary with her computer last year....

mweinstone
05-29-2007, 17:55
why trail angel mary is great. because i say so.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxomatthewski smootches tam.

Heater
05-29-2007, 18:36
thickredhair,

--silly

Piggybacking your post to Thickredhair,

Also, find out how much additional memory the motherboard will take. Some of the older motherboards will not handle much memory by today's standards. Not only can that be a waste of money and time but it can also cause serious problems with your system if you try to update with too much memory.

You can get a copy of Everest free edition to get a snapshot of your hardwear if you don't know what is actually in your computer.

Gaiter
05-29-2007, 18:46
it has one- 256 stick in it now, it can handle two sticks of either 256 or 512

Chaco Taco
06-18-2007, 12:25
Is it usually busy at Miss Janet's in mid August?

thestin
06-18-2007, 12:27
Is it usually busy at Miss Janet's in mid August?

Not this year, since Miss Janet has posted that she is closing her hostel in a few weeks.

Overpass
07-17-2007, 12:16
Not this year, since Miss Janet has posted that she is closing her hostel in a few weeks.

Why? Could someone post a link to her post? This is the first I've heard of this and am supper-bummed...

thestin
07-17-2007, 12:27
Miss Janet is selling her home and looking for a new place. There have been a couple of threads here about it. Do a search...

rhjanes
07-17-2007, 14:21
the one today is entitled "ho Hum" and was started by her-own-self

Jim Adams
07-17-2007, 22:41
I met and stayed at Janet's on my 2002 thru and found her to be an incredible lady! I consider her to be a very good friend and have stopped at her place EVERY time that I've had the chance....I have yet to stop when there were no hikers there... no matter what month!

geek

Overpass
07-17-2007, 23:18
Miss Janet is selling her home and looking for a new place. There have been a couple of threads here about it. Do a search...

Thanks. I did in fact do a search before posting. Nothing. The new "ho-hum" thread doesnt' give any info on the "why" or where...:confused:

Heater
07-17-2007, 23:44
Why? Could someone post a link to her post? This is the first I've heard of this and am supper-bummed...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=368480#post368480

minnesotasmith
07-18-2007, 02:43
scratch that....i mean i will be coming from johnson city....I-26

thanks!

Hit both the great Chinese buffet restaurant there and the outfitter. There is no buffet in Erwin that I know of, and no outfitter (unless you count Uncle Johnny's).

the goat
07-18-2007, 09:43
There is no buffet in Erwin that I know of,

KFC buffet.

minnesotasmith
07-19-2007, 05:11
Question is, where is her new hostel located, and when will it open?

Hikerhead
07-19-2007, 07:32
She's buying Rusty's place and having it moved closer to the trail. :)

minnesotasmith
07-19-2007, 20:17
Where is her new place going to be located?

Heater
07-22-2007, 16:33
Where is her new place going to be located?

She said she found a place she liked but wasn't specific on the location because I think she has not actually bought the place yet. IOW... there is no "new place" yet or... it has not been announced.

Hope she finds something soon! :)

Pack Mule
12-07-2018, 13:50
Who out there knows how I might get a card to Miss Janet, snail mail?