PDA

View Full Version : How do you mark on nylons?

MAD777
10-25-2006, 17:32
I've just begun making my own gear such as quilts and I haven't found anything that will mark on slick nylon fabrics.
I've tried Sharpie and others and have resorted to using the blue painters tape from Home Depot.
It works for small items but when I'm cramming the material for a quilt through my sewing machine, the tape really makes it hard to work with.

Any ideas out there?

Gaiter
10-25-2006, 17:39
have you tried wax, don't know if that will work but there are wax pencils out there.

camper10469
10-25-2006, 20:04
I use a regualr magic marker, the type used on laundry. It works fine on silnylon, never had any problems with it at all. Maybe you're using the erasable kind of markers?

hammock engineer
10-25-2006, 20:07
I'll second the marker. A Sharpie works fine for me. I cut so that the marker line is not on the pattern in order not to have a marker line on the finished product.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-25-2006, 21:09
I use a laundry marker and cut as hammock Engineer does.

Fiddler
10-25-2006, 22:42
If none of the markers work try a paint pen. They're about the same size as a full-size marker, but they have a spring-loaded tip and are filled with oil based paint. Cost about 3 or 4 dollars. I've never tried them on slick nylon but they have marked everything else I've tried. Get them at a paint or hardware store. What might be a disadvantage to fabric marking is they make a line about 1/8 inch wide. And it's very hard to get off.

bogey
10-26-2006, 20:11
one of those ball-point white-out pens.