PDA

View Full Version : Official 5th Annual Billville Trashgiving

Blister
10-25-2006, 19:24
The Official Dates for this years 5th Annual Billville Trashgiving
December 1-3

:dance :dance
A great place to have Trashgiving this year; The Glencliff Hikers Welcome Hostel. The trail just outside the front door - makes Saturdays hike a no-brainer! Plenty of Bunk space and camping for the brave. We can look forward to a GREAT weekend. I believe it prudent at this time to open the invitation to all Hiker Trash or wanna be hiker trash. I look forward to this event started many years ago (thanks to woody and beanpie), a chance to spend a holiday with our Trail friends. For some it is an opportunity to recover from time spent with blood relatives, for other a mere excuse to eat, drink and be merry. At least a single brave attempt at the fire pit is worthy. All musical instruments are encouraged.
If you are planning on coming, drop me a line so I can figure the food amounts accordingly.

Pokey2006
10-25-2006, 22:28
Thanks for the open invite. Since it's within driving distance, I might...weather depending.

Wonder
10-26-2006, 17:11
I plan on being there! SOunds like a blast!

Jester2000
10-27-2006, 20:04
And with the move to Glencliff a new tradition was born: the annual "Rubbing of the Missile."

RAT
10-27-2006, 21:01
Thanks for the invite , soundz like something I would really love to attend, but why does it have to be soooooo far away from me ? And also it's not my wknd. with my kids so I am trapped :( , hope it is a blast without me anyways ! I look fwd. to the reports !

RAT>PATROL

The Old Fhart
10-27-2006, 21:10
Jester-"And with the move to Glencliff a new tradition was born: the annual "Rubbing of the Missile.""Actually it is in Warren, right next to the church. How many phallic symbols does one town need?:-?

Newb
10-28-2006, 11:07
Umm...I suppose if I have to ask where Glencliff is that it's too far for me to travel.

Lone Wolf
10-28-2006, 11:10
Can't get theah from heah. Ayuh!

neighbor dave
10-28-2006, 11:27
:-? it's rite cher!:D
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=glencliff&state=nh&zipcode=

Jester2000
10-29-2006, 12:11
Well that was awfully neighborly.

Blister
10-30-2006, 08:51
I feel baited... planning an event next to such a large phallic symbol? Whatta ya want - I've been on the trail for 6 months, the bigger the better. Anyways.. I just found out - did you know you can climb up into the missle? You can only go about 1/2 way though. I havn't tried it yet, but I am always up for something new.
;)

DavidNH
10-30-2006, 09:18
tentatively, i plan to be there.

David

the goat
10-30-2006, 09:51
i'm in too. :sun

it'll be a hellova drive from va, anyone in the mid-atlantic wanna share a ride up to glencliff?

The Old Fhart
10-30-2006, 10:19
The Goat-"it'll be a hellova drive from va, anyone in the mid-atlantic wanna share a ride up to glencliff?"I believe Minnesota Smith plans to finish in Kent about then and is looking for a ride to Trashgiving.:D

the goat
10-30-2006, 10:46
I believe Minnesota Smith plans to finish in Kent about then and is looking for a ride to Trashgiving.:D

lol, who's gonna rent a flatbed to haul that massive pack of his!?!?:D

Jack Tarlin
10-30-2006, 18:58
Geez, if this is true regarding Smitty's plans, it might be time to change the date or postpone the event!

Then again, after six months of travel and relative solitude, perhaps Blister is ready to meet a new and totally different kinda guy.

What interesting offspring they'd produce. :eek:

Skidsteer
10-30-2006, 19:18
Geez, if this is true regarding Smitty's plans, it might be time to change the date or postpone the event!

Then again, after six months of travel and relative solitude, perhaps Blister is ready to meet a new and totally different kinda guy.

What interesting offspring they'd produce. :eek:

Watch it Jack!

FD could construe that as an open invitation to photoshop. :eek:

WalkinHome
10-30-2006, 20:48
Hey Blister,

Don't forget your protection-half way, all the way....well, you know what I mean LOL.

Blister
10-31-2006, 10:25
Havn't ya'll the manners not to insult the cook? Be very, very careful.;)
:dance :dance :dance

RAT
11-03-2006, 18:01
it'll be a hellova drive from va, anyone in the mid-atlantic wanna share a ride up to glencliff?

Where in Va ?

Wonder
11-04-2006, 02:05
i'm in too. :sun

Coming through Philly??:-?

the goat
11-04-2006, 12:35
Coming through Philly??:-?

check yo pm's.

the goat
11-09-2006, 18:08
blister- can you post the address where we can send you some $$$ ahead of time, b/c i know you need to get a lot of stuff ready in advance. (i assume to send it to packrat's place, but my comopanion is m.i.a.... plus i wanna be sure).

thanks!!:sun

LIVESTRONG
11-12-2006, 20:10
very tempting, only 795 miles for me but I don't think ill make it

LIVESTRONG

DavidNH
11-12-2006, 20:28
I am amazed and impressed that folks would drive 800 miles for a party and hiker gathering. Man that is a long way to come!!

David

Jack Tarlin
11-13-2006, 19:41
November seems to be flying by.....just a quick reminder to folks who might be joining us for Trashgiving: One of the toughest things Blister has to do, in addition to the kick-ass cooking, is to try and get a rough idea of how many she'll actually be shopping and cooking for. Obviously, people who decide to show up unannounced at the last minute will be wined and dined famously, but it'll REALLY help her out if you drop her an RSVP if you're planning to show up. She needs to know how many turkeys will be at the table in Glencliff and this does not merely apply to the winged variety.

Oh, and if you DO show up at the last minute, for Chrissake, bring a pecan pie. For some reason, these always seem to run out first!!

Lone Wolf
11-13-2006, 20:30
What about winged feet?:eek:

Stonewall
11-13-2006, 20:45
Ah what the heck. Count me in... If all going good I will be there.

Blister
11-20-2006, 12:58

The phone number is 603-989-0040 if anyone has any questions ect....(really the only way anyone will get a hold of me, there is no cell coverage in Glencliff)

I am very excited about the weekend. There will be some local musicians stopping by throughout the weekend, wood has been allocated for the fire pit. I am just brimming with anticipation.
I will begin some of my preperations once the real turkey day has passed (everything goes on sale the day after Thanksgiving!) And again as many RSVP's I can get will help in planning.

Fiday night for the early arrivals I will have an assortment of homemade soups, chillis and baked breads. There will be fresh baked breakfast items available Sat morning while I continue preparing the feast for later in the day. Sunday morning will hail another breakfast as well as many to-go containers for folks to take leftovers home.

Peace Out and Lots of Love! Blister

Old Hillwalker
11-20-2006, 13:13
Count me in. I will be droppin in to see how I can hep out in the next coupla daze.

Jimmers
11-20-2006, 15:01
Count me in! Can't wait!
Also, if anyone needs a ride from the Philadelphia area I've space for three other people in my car.

Minerva
11-20-2006, 16:52
Blister,
If I'm not working that Saturday I'll be there...should know my schedule by the end of this week. MrsGorp

Jack Tarlin
11-20-2006, 18:28
Wow, this is a great response. This could be a VERY well-attended Trashgiving.

Just wanted to mention that I've been fielding letters and messages almost every day from folks who might want to attend but live far away. If folks planning to attend could do what Jimmers kindly did, and offfered space in their cars, that'd be great. So if you ARE planning to attend, and if you DO have room in your vehicle, please post that material here so other folks can get in touch with you. It'd also mean folks would have company on the trip, and less gas to buy as well. (Never mind where we're gonna park 54 cars in Glencliff!)

Another reminder.....it looks like there wil be more attendees than there are bunks, so be aware that some folks will be sleeping outside; so pack accordingly. Early December in New Hampshire can get a little brisk.

Wonder
11-20-2006, 20:39
Bummer news......I have to work that weekend, so I will net be there. I'll miss you all and hope that I get to see the picutres!

TJ aka Teej
11-20-2006, 22:49
I wish it was this weekend! Basketball starts that weekend (I coach two youth teams) - I'll be thinking of you all, have fun and don't freeze!

A-Train
11-20-2006, 23:55
Blister-

Myself and 522 (game 02') will be attending. Not sure if we'll be coming friday night or sat. morning. Will be bringing food and beverages of some sort. Hope to do a hike of some sort over the weekend, and work off the chub.

I've got plenty of room in the ole' Sable and can transport people from the NY area or people along the way.

Jester2000
11-23-2006, 03:22
Good Lord! This is turning into some sort of thing. . .may have room for one from the Philly area, particularly if it is a hot hiker chick, although a dude with some serious personality will do. But now that I think about it, would prefer a dude to a hot hiker chick with no personality.

Anyway, PM me if you need a ride. Can take one, or two if we compress the banana costume way down.

With all of these people planning on attending (or so it seems), I have to wonder, do I have enough Silly String?

DavidNH
11-23-2006, 09:48
Blister,

I just want to confirm..I'll be coming. Most likely arriving Saturday.
So don't forget to pile on the stuffing and gravy :)

I will be coming up from Concord, NH and have space for another rider or two but it seems everyone is from further away or at least elsewhere so I don't expect anyone would want a ride from me.

Are we still doing the Warren Doyle curse jar? Does anyone anywhere actually like the guy?:-?

David

Lone Wolf
11-23-2006, 09:50
Have you met him? Or do you just go by what Jack says?

DavidNH
11-23-2006, 09:55

I have met him at ALDHA gatherings. I go not only by what Jack says but also by what several other folks have said.

he seems like a guy that favors more structure and pushyness than most hikers would want. You get told where to camp, how far to hike, when to rest (which is rarely), like no zero days till Hanover!

David

MOWGLI
11-23-2006, 10:02

Geez, you'd think some folks would take Thanksgiving off from obsessing about Warren. Wouldn't you?

Happy Thanksgiving to EVERYONE.

Lone Wolf
11-23-2006, 10:11
he brought it up!:)

Jack Tarlin
11-23-2006, 17:42
Hey, Mowgli.

W.D. is a non-issue at Trashgiving, as well as at the rest of our gatherings.

He's just another hiker, as welcome at our table as anyone else.

So take a breath, calm yourself, and go eat some more.

Have a great holiday.

MOWGLI
11-23-2006, 19:13
Hey, Mowgli.

Have a great holiday.

Thanks Jack. I just came up for air between dinner & dessert. Hope you're having a great day.

warren doyle
11-23-2006, 21:05
In response to DavidNH:

Every five years, I organize a non-commercial, folk, task-oriented group expedition up the entire Appalachian Trail. It is 127-days long and we follow a set schedule the entire way. No one is 'told' want to do. People have a 2.5 year preparation period, including three, 3-day backpacking trips, to decide whether they want to walk the AT this way. It is true that our first scheduled full rest day is in Hanover; however, it is 'easy' to earn full rest days in Damascus, Pearisburg, Delaware Water Gap and Kent.
Expedition members can also 'bank' rest days through pre-expedition practice hikes and by doing their own pre-expedition section hikes.
The expedition is van-supported and most days are spent day hiking. We have two, two-day backpacks in GSNP, an overnight in PA, a two-day backpack in the Whites, and a three-day backpack in the Mahoosucs.
There are advantages and disadvantages to walking the trail this way and the people who decide to join the group are well-informed about these to help them in their final decision.
I have organized seven groups and we have had 100% completion rates (of those who committed to the expedition's task - as symbolized by six unbroken circles at Katahdin) in six of the seven expeditions (i.e., 1975, 1980, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005).
My next, and probably final, expedition will be in 2010.

Jack Tarlin
11-23-2006, 21:12
One can "earn" full rest days?

Gosh, how magnanimous.

Most hikers generally pick them for themselves.

And how many folks from the 2005 expedition actually chose to get up early in the morning and climb Katahdin with you, Warren? Howw many actually wanted to summit with you?

I've heard several interesting stories about this and would be interested in hearing yours.

Actually, hold off on that.

This thread is about an annual hiker get-together in Glencliff. I regret David's remarks that got the thread off-topic and I hope we can get back to it.

If Warren wants to tell us about how happy and successful his flock was in 2005 he can do it at another location.

Jack Tarlin
11-25-2006, 19:06
Well, Thanksgiving is behind us and my favorite country station has already started playing truly horrible Christmas songs, so it'd seem that the holiday season has arrived, big-time.

This also means it's time for Trashgiving.

For those of you unfamiliar with this particular Holiday, here's a brief history.
Some years back, more than I wish to actually remember, blister, myself, and a few other folks were talking about Thanksgiving. We realized that in some cases, our families were very far away and we wouldn't be getting home for the big day. And in some cases, for any number of reasons, a family visit wasn't in the cards that year.

Thanksgiving is a tough holiday for a lot of hikers....a lot of us work almost every day in the off season so we can do our thing in the springs and summer, and this often includes weekends and sometimes, holidays. And we travel widely and in many cases, live a great, and quite expensive distance, from our families. And then, of course, sometimes family visits are strained, with siblings we haven't seen in awhile; step-parents and relations we could do without; assorted relations either arguing politics, football, or something else stupid; over-sugared toddlers running amouck underfoot; the charming annual meeting with Uncle Shmendrick who reminds you in front of everyone how old you are and pointedly demands to know when you intend to do something with your life.....in short, the sort of thing that happens at tradional dysfunctional family gatherings.

Anyway, some years back we decided we REALLY liked the idea of having Thanksgiving with people we actually enjoyed spending time with, i.e. friends and other hikers, and thus, Trashgiiving was born.

We've been doing this for years now, the weekend after Thanksgiving. We started out in Vermont, and then moved the party to Hanover for a couple of years. This year our friends who run the hostel up in Glencliff NH have very graciously offerred us the place, and this is where we'llbe all this upcoming weekend. Some folks will be arriving Friday, some on Saturday. If the weather is good on Saturday morning, some foolks will go up Moosilauke, a beautiful climb. Some will go on shorter hikes. Some will keep the cooks company. We'll find a volunteer to sit in the kitchen and peel potatoes accompanied by a large glass of Jameson's. (Hi Jester!!) We will watch Karine do extraordinary things with a turkey or two.

And then sometime in the afternoon, we'll have a really wonderful meal.

Dunno what will happen after that, most likely a bonfire and assorted revelry. Hopefully no drum circle. Definitely no contra dancing. And preferably, no political discussions except for perhaps one short one bewteen Jester and myself which will start amicably, grow progressively louder, eventually result in each of us calling each other something unpleasant. We will then exchange glasses, grin, and get back to discussing the Red Sox.

And then Sunday, after a kickass breakfast, we'll all head home.

And THAT'S Trashgiving, and I hope lotsof you will try and make it. If you think you might, try and let Blister know so she'll have a very rough idea of ravenous attendees. (Reach her here or at (603) 989-0040, which is also the Glencliff hostel number if you get hopelessly lost). Some folks will undoubtedly crash inside, but there probably won't be enough room for everyone, so bring whatever you think you'll need to survive a night outside in New Hampshire in December.

Anyway, hope to see some of you at the end of the week!!

trailangelmary
11-26-2006, 06:04
:( Happy Holidays to all of you. I will miss trashgiving once again. Not enough time available to take off this time of year. Love you all. Miss ya. Have a blast!!

Blister
11-26-2006, 15:21
Hey everyone, I just finished checking all my pm's - I am sooo excited!!! Looks like there will be some new faces as well. I am very excited, oopps I already expressed that. I am begining some of my baking tonight. We will also have the main house open for the weekend so there is plenty of floorspace as well as the bunking situation. Yippee!!! I can't wait to see everyone!!!!!
Peaace Out
Blister

Bluebearee
11-28-2006, 11:36
A-Train is encouraging me to get my butt over to Glencliff this weekend....I'm feeling a little shy about joining in. I definitely didn't get enough Thanksgiving food last week (no leftovers! :( ) - and would love to go for a hike up Moosilauke on Saturday. Is that definitely happening? If so I would plan on being there early enough Sat AM.

What's the protocol with the meal? Do I bring something or contribute $$?

Blister
11-28-2006, 12:10
You can surprise me with anything and there will be a donation jar, all monies left over the actual cost of food and supplies will be donated to the hostel since Packrat is not charging us for using it, electric, firewood ect..... I am looking forward to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2006, 15:13
Dunno about a Saturday hike....Intellicast forecast says it's gonna rain in Glencliff thru Friday with clearing but chance of snow :eek: on Saturday.

Maybe we'll just walk a mile up to Jeffers Brook Shelter, have a beverage, and turn around and go back to the house!!

BlueB: If you want to bring something, a few ideas are Apple Cider, or maybe juice or pastries for Sunday's big breakfast. Don't be shy, there will be people you know and people you don't; I'm hoping we get a few folks planning to hike next year; there are always new faces. A Billville event is merely a bunch of friends you haven't actually met yet.

Anytime Saturday is fine, we usually eat sometime in the afternoon after people are back from their hike.

WalkinHome
11-28-2006, 18:08
What Jack said about Billville-take it to the bank. An opportunity not to be missed. Enjoy!

MEANT 2B
11-28-2006, 22:11
Your right Jack that weather forecast doesn't sound very good, it was FAR better this past weekend. I was up on Mt. Cube Saturday hiking the CRT and I couldn't have asked for better weather no matter how hard I tried. Oh well, it's been like that all year long, except for Mother's Day and Labor Day Weekend, every other holiday weekend has had awesome weather around western NH, the non holiday weekends has had crappy weather, LOL!!! Definitely not what you would normally expect to see happen.

Not sure if I'll be up Friday night or Saturday morning. I shouldn't be far from there most of the day but I have a feeling I'll have to make a trip home after work before heading up. It will be the weather that will be the deciding factor as I have a blower/heater/defroster on my car that is on the blink right now. I'm hoping their won't be any freezing rain. I could be in BIG trouble if there is.

Stonewall
11-29-2006, 01:29
I'm kind of pissed right now. As it looks I am not going to be able to make it up. I have a crap load of school work that is due. And only have 2 weeks to finish it and the weekends being my crutial time to finish it... God I need a break though. and was totaly siked to see everyone again considering I missed the gathering for school as well. :mad: Wish me luck.

Jimmers
11-29-2006, 03:04
If your plans change the offer of a ride is still open Skytop! And anyone else that needs a ride too, as I've plenty of space and would love the company.

Stonewall
11-29-2006, 08:26
Much appreciated Jimmers I was going to contact you tonight to let you know but you beat me to it :)

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2006, 13:17
SkyTop:

Study like crazy between now and Friday; you'll be back in PA Sunday night.

Two weeks is a long time.

See you in Glencliff! :D

Blister
11-29-2006, 13:21
Hey All.......... its me again.
I have a little mastermind of a useful worktrip for Sat as well for any that are interested. Hill Walker, whom is one of many trail maintainers will be here as a guest for Trashgiving. He lives locally and is in charge of the trail south of Mount Moosilauke. A couple of hours of clearing blowdowns, with a handful of volunteers it can be done in a snap. In case the weather is too sketchy for the climb up and back from Moosilauke, this is another option for those wanting to work up their appetites. I am excited! I'd like to THANK those of you that have volutneered their help and assistance. I think a good time will be had by all! and I am still excited....................

Bluebearee
11-29-2006, 15:46
Alright, I'm in, unless the weather for driving isn't great Friday night (going to stay in Lebanon with a friend). I'll be there early Sat morning rearing for a hike or work, whichever, as long as it's outside and exercise. I plan to bring cider and a coffee cake and will help with whatever else is needed. Looking forward to talking some trail and meeting new folks....(and revisiting the scene of my bee sting incident 9/11/02)!!

A-Train
11-29-2006, 16:21
Sweet BB!

The idea of doing some trail work suprisingly intices me more than a hike up Mooseilauke, as the weather doesn't sound conducive to a long day. Plus I may not be able to get there at the crack of dawn-which is the kind of start you'd need for a long hike like that with less daylight hours.

I'll hopefully be bringing a pecan pie, some adult beverages and some juices for breakfast.

Lookin' forward to it

Jack Tarlin
11-29-2006, 19:25
Had a rare day off today and spent most of it helping Blister shop. We put a major hurting on the BJ's wholesale club and Price Chopper in West Lebanon.

It's kind of an adventure not really knowing how many you're cooking for.

All I know is that it's a safe bet that nobody's gonna go hungry this weekend.

Anyway, a wonderful way to spend the afternoon; other than peeling the odd potato, or making my signature artichoke/spinach dip, which I've been refining for the last few years, I ain't going NEAR the kitchen this weekend, unless it's to get ice for a drink. Blister has things well in hand.

Anyway, I'll be up in Glencliff in less than 48 hours!

Hope to see lots of you guys there.

Old Hillwalker
11-30-2006, 12:17
Wow, this is fantastic. Looks like I may actually will have sombody to talk to while doing trail work for a change. My dog often comes along to help. A great listener, but not much of a conversationalist I'm afraid.

Kidding aside, I am spending today cutting and peeling 10 foot long Spruce bog bridge puncheons at my wood lot in preparation for help hauling them to the trail and just plunking them down near the designated mud holes.
Later on, if people are still willing we will travel to the "J" trail on north Smarts Mtn to do the Fall walk through with waterbar cleaning tools. Maybe pay a visit to Smarts Tower that for some is full of happy memories of spending the night in that tiny tower.

Thanks in advance. TomW

DavidNH
11-30-2006, 14:11
I will be bringing a store bought apple crumb pie to donate to the cause!

I may also join in on some of the trail work. I don't plan to arrive till late morning on Saturday Though.

I have no interest in going up Mt Moosilauke given the conditions that are expected (ie wet, cold, maybe icy windy snowy).

Hopefully, I'll get to meet some familiar faces and of course some new ones!

Anyone from the AT class of '06 planning to show up?

DavidNH

the goat
11-30-2006, 18:51
bfitz, matthewski & the goat will rolling into glencliff at some point tomorrow morning. :sun

driving tonight 'cause we're crazy like that.

long drive w/ pit-stop in philly to gather 1 matthewski.

will bring an undisclosed number of beers from america's oldest brewery.

Jack Tarlin
11-30-2006, 19:01
Have a safe trip guys, and if you see this before you leave, call Blister at 603-989-0040 to make sure someone'll be there when you arrive!! Most folks aren't getting there til afternoon.

If you feel like taking a break in Hanover I'll be at my place all morning chopping wood; drop by if you feel like it, otherwise see you in Glencliff!

mweinstone
11-30-2006, 21:52
the giving of trash in a billvillien mannor . may your packs contain embarassing things for us to laugh at, may the storys break ribs, may the puke run red with wine. and may all of your coffie induced pee stops on the way there be in time. wishing everyone who cant be there could......matthewski.

so much whiskey, so little time. if only there could be shine.to make whiskey look like wine.we'd shine and dine and toast the pines. till dawn found us, upsidedownjellyfishfoodcaked.

halftime
11-30-2006, 21:58
And take pictures

Bluebearee
12-01-2006, 16:17
[QUOTE=will bring an undisclosed number of beers from america's oldest brewery.[/QUOTE]

Damn....I shudda put an order in! Bought some while in the DAKs back in early October...been hoarding them...almost out.

I'm bringing homemade French crumb coffee cake for Sunday morning, blueberry (duh) muffins for the meal and a gallon of cider!

I'll be packed for hiking or trail maintaining tomorrow, regardless of weather. Plan to arrive in Glencliff in the AM (9 ish?) - staying in Lebanon tonight with friends.

Minerva
12-03-2006, 08:33
Yesterday, Chef Blistah pulled off another Grand feast.

First came the succulent hor d'oeuvres scallops wrapped in bacon, jumbo shrimp and crudités. The main course table was laden with turkey and fixins of whipped potatoes, stuffing, squash and gravy. Lots of salads and breads. Then there was my personal favorite, the dessert table and "Jester's Mother's Apple Cake". Had two platefuls and this morning I'm still stuffed.

Folks came from Virginia, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Besides the usual Billville suspects it was good to see Honey & Bear, 522, Atrain, Bluebearee and the one and only Matthewski! Both Snickers and Riverside thru hiked this year and there was at least one 2007 thru-hiker in planning there, "Bill from outside of Boston".

The north connected with the south when Tiffany Ballou checked in to see if all was under control. The weather was perfect for the bon fire. No one read Jester's memo on sending Christmas cards, but somehow the crowd managed just fine.

I had a GREAT time...back to the salt mines. Only 21 shopping days left to Christmas....call your orders called in soon!!!:banana
MrsG

mweinstone
12-04-2006, 01:49
billville was great. the people , music and food came together into one big musical burp fest of trailwork and bondfire and snotrocket competitions and all manner of over eating. no drinking as rumored was evedent but all manner of fun was had by a group of great folks. jacks house is cool as ship./ and blistah can cook like mther. and her food is the money. and earl and honey were great and lots of food and jack was really swell and i love billville.and hilll walker listens to led zep and lives on a hill overlooking 25000 acares of forrest and hes the best trail boss i ever worked with. teams of four of us carried 500 lb logs into a swampy bit of trail and left them for hillwalker to return and set. then we marched from different directions de brambleing the trail for 4 and a half miles. i walked alone the whole way catching and passing the others at the end. we made bramble with shrimp in a basket and bramble and eggs and bramble soup and coconut fried bramble and all manner of bramble dishes. and it was glorious and the moon was near full and we saw a mutant chipsquirrle and jack lives in a weird vally of woodchopping and thinks hes chopped wood each morning but wakes to find it was all a wonderfull chopping dream. then he gets up and chops. but with a saw. a power saw. and the hostel is oldschool AT complete with old school AT folks runnin it. and we picked up trash on the roadhead and did i mention the food? ther was alot. and it was good. and we ate it. and we sang. and lisa danced. and we had all manner of rumpus and monster play. and we invented an all bacon all the time hostle. with a single low bacon cover charge at the door for all the bacon you want. and fans to send the aroma down the trail. and a lookout posted to single the need for more bacon. and pigs and a slicer and a deep fryer. we would fry baskets of the stuff.

bfitz
12-04-2006, 05:18
Just got home. 4 am.

Can't wait till the next time....

To feast with you all, playing songs and celebrating and laughing together is a rare (rare enough, anyway) priveledge...and I did...and it was good. I'll raise my cup again in Billville soon!

Blister, Martha Stewart has nothin' on you!

Stonewall
12-04-2006, 09:43
I'm Jealous, I am glad all turned out so well and everyone had a good time. God I wish I could have been there. Till next time.

mweinstone
12-04-2006, 11:05
and mrs gorp showed up for a camio appearence and i got hugs and wine. and i got to meet bluberrie from maine who i think i met on trail this year. and the old fart fars alot really loude and dosnt appologize he just keeps on talkin like nothin happened while hes rippin these squeakers and hornblowers and seat squishers. hes really really smart with out aa toush of ms.well. maby a touch.and we had bagles jack brought but he diddnt bring enough so we made him get moire before we let him have any. and i met big jon and me and bfitz and the goat did alot of hangin and talkin and laughing. and all manner of rumpuss was had. i love billville. and i will recomend going to the pa ruch on jan 26 27 28 if you have an ounce of ability to do so. there will be fun their as well im assuming.

the goat
12-04-2006, 11:32
what a blast was had at the glencliff trashgiving. good food, good trails and good company. blister outdid herself with a weekend-long, belly-popping feast of the highest order. it was great seeing everyone and sharing laughs & stories & more laughs.

road tripping w/ matthewski & bfitz was good times & bfitz propelled himself into legendary road trip status with his driving prowess on the last leg of the trip, that saw us arrive safely back in VA.

emerald
12-04-2006, 15:57
Happy to hear ya'll had a great time. Wish I could have been there too!

Sly
12-04-2006, 16:58
road tripping w/ matthewski & bfitz was good times & bfitz propelled himself into legendary road trip status with his driving prowess on the last leg of the trip, that saw us arrive safely back in VA.

Speaking of roads trips Goat, I'll most likely be driving out West around the 1st of April. I could get you as far as Phoenix with a few stop along the way (FS campgrouns) and a day or two in Albuquerque (friends). I'll show you some of the CDT and the GET along the way.

Keep it in mind.

A-Train
12-04-2006, 23:56
Man, that was a great weekend, glad I made the trip. The food was outstanding, thanks to Blister, and the company excellent too. Glad I got out on the trail both days, and was able to enjoy the beautiful weather we had.

Great to see old friends, but also to make new ones. Looking forward to the Warmer in Duncannon!

Jimmers
12-05-2006, 02:34
What an absolutely awesome weekend! The company was great as always, with many great conversations, but Blister really went the extra mile putting together the meals all weekend long. Hope you got a chance to sleep in Monday Blister! :) You more than earned it. Hope to see everyone at the warmer again!

VSA
12-06-2006, 08:10
Yep, once again i left billville with the strange feeling of my belly being stretched out by a combination of food and laughter.

It was so good to see everyone.

Cant wait for the Warmer!

Blister
12-07-2006, 16:27
I am still floating on cloud 9!
I want to THANK EVERYONE who pitched into helping me last weekend. I had nerves building up the entire week in hopes all would enjoy, and I do believe they did. Sorry some of the Billville faces were missing, regaurdless the best trashgiving ever!!!!!!!!!!!
My heart always swells after spending time with good friends, whaz a bit nervous introducing my new guy to everyone, but he was amazed and surprisingly not shocked. Thanks to Hillwalker and the billvillian trail crew. Thanks to all the musicians, thanks for the kitchen help, thanks for all the donations. I guess this will be an event that will never die, it does my heart too much good! Thanks to Jester and everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cannot THANK YOU enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really do LOVE you all! Am I getting soft in my ole age???
:dance :dance :dance :dance

Old Hillwalker
12-07-2006, 22:26
This has to have been the absolute high point of my year of maintaining on the AT. When I asked Blister Sister if I could attend the Trashgiving being only a lowly trail maintainer, she responded with a resounding Yes. What a great group of people. The food, the music, the conversations, the camaraderie were all wicked good!

The Billvillain Trail Croo was a maintainer's dream: Thanks to matthewski, lisa, jester, meant 2 be, jimmers, the goat, chomp, VSA, and last but definately not least, baltimore jack. Guys, I have cut, split and stripped four more logs in my side yard. When can y'all come back?

Guess I will be using the old toboggan after all:D

Thanks for everything....see you on the trail.

Tom "Hillwalker" Wheeler

TJ aka Teej
12-08-2006, 00:17
The Billvillain Trail Croo was a maintainer's dream: Thanks to matthewski, lisa, jester, meant 2 be, jimmers, the goat, chomp, VSA, and last but definately not least, baltimore jack.

That's quite a roster of villians, Hillwalker! Glad to read here about yet another gathering of fine trail-folk :D

chomp
12-08-2006, 04:34
It was an awesome weekend - Thanks for being a fantastic host, Blister. In fact, I'm down here in DC hanging out with The Goat and The Dude right now. Hillwalker - VSA and I are ready to help. Drop me a PM and we'll see if we can help you out with a few of those bog bridges.

StarLyte
12-08-2006, 08:50
It was an awesome weekend - Thanks for being a fantastic host, Blister. In fact, I'm down here in DC hanging out with The Goat and The Dude right now. Hillwalker - VSA and I are ready to help. Drop me a PM and we'll see if we can help you out with a few of those bog bridges.

Chomp did you take any pics? :D

The Old Fhart
12-08-2006, 13:08
Starlyte-"Chomp did you take any pics?"I managed to attend Trashgiving for just a couple of hours Saturday night and did get a few photos which I just posted. There were many more people there that I missed or just didn't get pictures of. It was a great time talking with old and new friends.