PDA

View Full Version : Level of solitude?

SL_amani
10-26-2006, 01:29
This is for those veteran thru hikers: How often do you run into people while hiking the trail? I am sure it fluctuates depending on where you are geographically, but can you give me a general sense of how much solitude I can look forward to?
Thanks,
Shane

Blue Jay
10-26-2006, 01:42
It's more a matter of time rather than geography. Georgia in June is absolutely beautiful and yet very few are there. Hike up here in blackfly season and you won't see anyone.

Pokey2006
10-26-2006, 01:55
I went NOBO at the usual time, and solitude was tough to come by at night, when it was time to camp. I rarely got to camp alone in the beginning, though managed to score solo campsites more often later in the game (I also fell behind the pack, being Pokey). I mostly had the trail to myself while actually hiking, which was the most important thing for me.

That changes, however, when you get close to the popular day hike areas on a weekend -- then, even during the day while you're hiking, you're going to keep bumping into hiker after hiker after hiker. If you're looking for solitude, try to avoid the most popular areas on the weekends. You usually get a good sense of how popular places up ahead are as you go.

Also, if you go SOBO, it's my understanding that the trail is quieter, except perhaps probably when you're passing by the NOBO pack.

ScottP
10-26-2006, 03:07
It's really the thru-hiker's decision how much solitude you want. You can choose to hike with the pack, or to be ahead of (the more viable of the two options) or behind it. You can also choose to stay at shelters/designated campsites or to stealth camp.

the goat
10-26-2006, 08:28
head southbound, solitude is everywhere.

DavidNH
10-26-2006, 09:43
I never had a day without seeing some one on my AT trip. Perhaps it was because I hiked north bound from march to sept.

If I had to pick an area for solitude it would easily be
the 100 mile wilderness. But even there it takes some effort to get away from people.

I am sure timing matters a lot as well. The thru hikers seem to go in waves.

Above all if you want solitude..avoid March and April from Damacus southward!

David

chris
10-26-2006, 10:07
For most of the AT in between the Smokies and the Vermont you're rarely away from the sound of a road or power lines. The AT isn't the place to look for wilderness or solitude given the numbers; there are better trails for that. Instead, the AT offers other qualities that can be quite rewarding as well. If you're looking for solitude, try other areas. However, I was able to find some by simply hiking when other people didn't. This wasn't hard to do. I was normally hiking by about 6:30 or 7, enjoyed the cooler weather and morning sun, and rarely saw anyone on trail until 9 or 10. I hiked past 6, usually until around 8, and saw people then as well.

max patch
10-26-2006, 10:12
While there were only 2 days that I didn't see another person on my 5 month 1 week thru, most of the time I hiked alone. If you want solidtude you can find it. If you want constant company you can find that also. Depends on what you are looking for.

SL_amani
10-29-2006, 14:42
For most of the AT in between the Smokies and the Vermont you're rarely away from the sound of a road or power lines. The AT isn't the place to look for wilderness or solitude given the numbers; there are better trails for that. Instead, the AT offers other qualities that can be quite rewarding as well. If you're looking for solitude, try other areas. However, I was able to find some by simply hiking when other people didn't. This wasn't hard to do. I was normally hiking by about 6:30 or 7, enjoyed the cooler weather and morning sun, and rarely saw anyone on trail until 9 or 10. I hiked past 6, usually until around 8, and saw people then as well.

What are the 'other qualities' that the AT has to offer?

Bob McCaw
10-29-2006, 20:28
I started really early in 2004 -- May 19 -- and had lots of solitude in Maine. There were several days I didn't see a soul, and I had quite a few shelters to myself. But after the NOBOs started passing by in the opposite direction, there was lots of company at night.

I was out hiking this last week and met a SOBO who started September 5. Now there's someone who likes solitude!

chris
10-30-2006, 15:31
What are the 'other qualities' that the AT has to offer?

For me, one of the main appeals of the AT is the community. As you progress north (or south), you get to know the other people around you very well. The community forms and unforms in a way that just doesn't seem to happen in settled society. The sheer numbers of people on the AT mean that you will find a large number of jackasses, but also a large number of good, quality people.

Given the weather of the land the AT passes through and the frequent road crossings, you don't have to think too much about survival for most of the year (so, March starters will have to think a bit more, May NOBOs a bit less). Water is everywhere. Snow isn't much of a factor. You can bail quickly and easily and there are lots of people to help you if you need it. These things make the AT a really good choice for someone who doesn't have a lot of hiking experience. For such people, the AT will feel plenty wild.

Oh, and the wildflowers in the south in late April through May are the best just about anywhere. They can be beat in the West by sheer numbers and colors, but nothing here smells like Mountain Laurel there.

Footslogger
10-30-2006, 15:45
My experience is northbound so take this from that perspective. In the beginning there is little solitude. You will see several hikers during the day and the campsites/shelters and typically full. That lasts a month or two and then things start to thin out considerably.

By the time you are north of PA you can often go a day or so without seeing any other hikers. I started on March 29th (2003) and by July I was spending a lot of time alone on the trail.

In many ways it's whatever you want it to be. You can hike in pods or deliberately speed up/slow down to avoid the hiker clusters.

That said, like others have commented, it is refreshing and often helpful to spend some time with other hikers along the way.

'Slogger

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 22:02
One of the "other qualities" of the AT that you might be interested in is that it's like one giant backpacking school, especially if you're going NOBO in the spring.

If you love hiking, camping, and backpacking, but aren't confident with your ability to survive alone in the backcountry, this is a great way to learn and build your confidence. Through the other hikers you meet, and the well-informed and friendly outfitters you'll encounter along the way, you will learn more then you ever thought possible about tents, backpacks, cooking in the backcountry, pooping in the backcountry, avoiding bear attacks, and on and on and on.

And it's probably the most fun you'll ever have in school!

However, if you already have the skills, knowledge and confidence, and you don't need to socialize with other hikers, AND are primarily looking for solitude, there could be other trails which would better suit your needs.

longshank
10-31-2006, 10:34
If you're looking for solitude, try the Continental Divide instead. It kicks ass.