PDA

View Full Version : PA Ruck 2007

StarLyte
10-26-2006, 09:29
PA RUCK 2007

January 26 - 28th 2007

WWW.PARUCK.COM (http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html)

Any questions - please contact StarLyte at: [email protected]

Welcome All !

Lone Wolf
10-26-2006, 10:16
I'll be there with my world famous chili. Camo Jack thought it was good anyway.

Cheesewhiz
10-26-2006, 18:17
I'll be there!!

MarcnNJ
10-26-2006, 19:07
Im in for sure......yo cheesewhiz, how goes?? Its Catch Up

A-Train
10-26-2006, 23:16
I'm hoping to be there this time. Haven't since 03!

bfitz
10-27-2006, 01:41
In!!!!!!!!!

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 01:43
Sounds like tons of fun, but if I go, I'll be incognito...

:)

Butch Cassidy
10-27-2006, 01:50
I just have to go, A possibility of meeting the biggest troublemaker on Whiteblaze? Butch:-?

bfitz
10-27-2006, 01:51
Sounds like tons of fun, but if I go, I'll be incognito...

:)
Too late, we all checked out your photos during this afternoon's debate. :D s'ok. It'll be a blast.:p

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 01:55
What, is Jack going? Lone Wolf? MS?

Who? ME????!!!???

Ha ha.

Guess I'll have to go dressed as a witch or something.

No, seriously, what is the deal with this ruck? I'm new to all these organized AT events, so I don't yet know one from the other....but I do look forward to having debates with some of y'all in person, over beers, lot more fun that way.

Butch Cassidy
10-27-2006, 01:59
I've already met Jack and Lone Wolf so that narrows it down:cool:

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 02:00
It would be fun to meet MS, huh?

bfitz
10-27-2006, 02:02
Just a bunch of trail geeks getting together to hang out. There's a few others...Winter Warmer at the Doyle etc. always fun. If StarLyte says come, then I'm coming.

Butch Cassidy
10-27-2006, 02:02
As a matter of fact that would help explain the cult following MS has on here:-?

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 02:34
Oh, boy, the Doyle....no, can't go back there just yet. I is ascared!

Wonder
10-27-2006, 06:28
Count me in!!!!

Blister
10-27-2006, 08:23
I'm gonna TRY. WORK is trying to talk me into something called FULL TIME with benefits, I havn't done that for a long time!! Whats a hiker to do? I can at least ask for the time off. Lets see I need Trashgiving, PA Ruck, ATC Bi-annual, Trail daze, Winter warmer, Gathering, a work trip or two and a weekly hike. Not too much to ask, is it?

attroll
10-27-2006, 12:31
What, is Jack going? Lone Wolf? MS?

Who? ME????!!!???

Ha ha.

Guess I'll have to go dressed as a witch or something.

No, seriously, what is the deal with this ruck? I'm new to all these organized AT events, so I don't yet know one from the other....but I do look forward to having debates with some of y'all in person, over beers, lot more fun that way.

From what I have been told by others, the purpose of a Ruck is sort of like ALDHA's meeting but on a smaller scale. It is get hikers past and present together and hold a couple of classes to help up coming hikers to prepare for their hike. It is also to hook up with other hikers and just have a good time.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2006, 12:48
Purpose of a Ruck? To friggin eat! You put the feedbag on at a Ruck!:D

StarLyte
10-27-2006, 12:59
Purpose of a Ruck? To friggin eat! You put the feedbag on at a Ruck!:D

That's our Lone Wolf.

He brings good tidings and good food. He is most excellent company.

ATTroll....very well put.

You can refer to the PA Ruck website (http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html) and read last year's write-up and view the schedule.

Lone Wolf
10-27-2006, 14:20
Thank you Marsha. You and Gypsy are my only fans.:)

mweinstone
11-07-2006, 19:10
bringing 12 suckling tofu vegen macrobiotic, pritkin, low sugar, low salt. low fat mock pigs.

and a smoked ham or three.

mweinstone
11-07-2006, 19:11
marsha darling, give me my food assignment now. im impatient.when will the list be on line?

Sly
11-07-2006, 19:12
Thank you Marsha. You and Gypsy are my only fans.:)

They may be your only female fans but.... ;)

mweinstone
11-07-2006, 19:14
10 weeks 10 weeks 10 weeks 10 weeks 10 weeks

half an hour half an hour half an hour....( from waterworld)

wheres that guy who can spell hannable lecturs noise ?

mweinstone
11-07-2006, 19:16
fth,..fth,...fth...........mmmmmmm census takers........

StarLyte
11-07-2006, 20:35
fth,..fth,...fth...........mmmmmmm census takers........

yeah that's it...keep goin.....keep goin....

Matthewski, you can bring anything you'd like at this point.

If you can imagine everything you would need at a picnic, that's what we need at a Ruck. Everyone potlucks for Friday and Saturday dinners. The hostel has a huge kitchen with many kitchen utensils, 2 stoves, 2 fridges, 2 sinks, but paper plates, eating utensils, paper cups, trash bags, foil, wrap, napkins are all needed. Not to mention coffee, creamer, teas, sugar, other beverages(?), and misc. donated items. It's endless. It's all needed. Plus if anything is left over, we donate it to the hostel. It's all appreciated. All dishes must be pre-cooked if at all possible because of the time involved, with the exception of Friday night's pasta.

Friday is always a specified cuisine, usually pasta, meats, salads, breads.

Breakfasts are on-your-own but we all bring breakfast foods and cook them up and everyone eats. Hot foods, pastries, coffees, you name it. Usually a few hikers will take on the responsibility of cooking breakfast if there are enough breakfast meats, eggs, potatoes, grits, biscuits, etc. etc.

Saturday lunch is a benefit. Some folks bring soups, chilis, cheese, lunch meat trays and good breads. Then everyone forms a line, makes a donation to the hostel (jar donation) and eats good. We always run out of soups and chilis though. This benefit takes place after a 3 hour morning hike to Pole Steeple so everyone is starving when they return.

Saturday dinner is the biggest buffet. A group of us (and whom is never specified, only those that want to help) heat up all the dishes that people bring. Doesn't sound like it, but it's a huge job, taking several hours because of the amount of food and supplies. Hikers line the walls and we just have a huge cooking jam session. Anyone is invited to help.

There is also clean-up but that's another paragraph :D

Lots of folks bring foods from their neighborhoods (ethnic) for sampling. That's always a lot of fun.

So the choice right now is yours. I won't start the food list until January. I thank you for offering, it is most appreciated.

It will be a lot of fun, especially that you're attending.

bfitz
11-07-2006, 20:41
I'm thinking pork bbq, with the vinegar and tangy coleslaw on top.

saimyoji
11-09-2006, 20:05
It sounds interesting, but I don't know if I fit in:

I don't have the experience (or apetite) of a thruhiker;
Am not in the (serious) planning stages for a thruhike;
Don't live all that close;
Don't have any particularly interesting trail slides to show;
Don't have any particular skills at cooking.....

Not sure if I'd fit in. :o

Could I show up, hang around for a while, not tell anyone who I am, sample some chili, make a donation, take a few pictures, maybe stay the night, listen to some people smarter and more interesting than I, and then sneak away?

Should I bring my leaky 4lb tent, or my new 10 oz. hammock w/ 3 lb tarp?
I just grabbed a new 15* bag, would this be a good chance to try it out?

I'm just so filled with internal conflict....gonna have to talk a walk this weekend and try to sort all this out.....

Little Gap to 309 anyone? If you're interested , don't tell me who you are, or ask who I am, that way we'll be sure not to ask the wrong questions of each other. Just show up and enjoy solo hiking, knowing that there is someone else doing the same thing. :eek:

:D

saimyoji
11-09-2006, 20:06
....make that take a walk....:o

ShakeyLeggs
11-09-2006, 21:42
It sounds interesting, but I don't know if I fit in:

I don't have the experience (or apetite) of a thruhiker;
Am not in the (serious) planning stages for a thruhike;
Don't live all that close;
Don't have any particularly interesting trail slides to show;
Don't have any particular skills at cooking.....

Not sure if I'd fit in. :o

Could I show up, hang around for a while, not tell anyone who I am, sample some chili, make a donation, take a few pictures, maybe stay the night, listen to some people smarter and more interesting than I, and then sneak away?

Should I bring my leaky 4lb tent, or my new 10 oz. hammock w/ 3 lb tarp?
I just grabbed a new 15* bag, would this be a good chance to try it out?

I'm just so filled with internal conflict....gonna have to talk a walk this weekend and try to sort all this out.....

Little Gap to 309 anyone? If you're interested , don't tell me who you are, or ask who I am, that way we'll be sure not to ask the wrong questions of each other. Just show up and enjoy solo hiking, knowing that there is someone else doing the same thing. :eek:

:D

Sounds like the perfect qualifications for attending. All are welcome.

Panzer1
11-09-2006, 23:18
Saimyoij,

a 15 degree bag is probably good. But you may want to bring an extra blanket. It can go below 15 there in January.
I believe it has gone down to 10.

(note: If you get too cold at night you can just go up to the hostel and get a bunk at anytime of night.)

You don't have to be a thru-hiker.
don't need to be in the serious stages of planning a thru-
If you live in PA, that's considered close.
you don't need to bring any slides.
just bring yourself.

If you can't cook, just buy something to bring that dosen't need cooking, like bread, cake, ect. You could also bring supplies like paper plates, cups, forks, spoons, sugar, coffee, ect.. (but check with Marsha first)

You can bring your tent or hammock or bring both of them and decide when you get there.

You can split a tent site with someone else to save money. up to 5 people per site is permitted. You don't need to have a site all to yourself. Post here for a partner.

If you stop down, come by my camp and say "hi"
It will be the site with the island blue F150 pickup tuck, 4 door with a covered back.

See you there.

Panzer

mweinstone
11-10-2006, 19:57
and if you wanna share my site ill be,"It will be the site with the island blue F150 pickup tuck, 4 door with a covered back, and matthewski camped close in his bibler megamid.

mweinstone
11-10-2006, 20:08
im trying to find out how to get alot of ice cream there. i need to know what my freezer capabiliti is or if you(the starlyte in mine eyes) think i can keep it out side? but of course this could be alot of trouble ending in soup. my dream would be 4 , five gallon biatches. next would be a lot of half gallons. im sure the freezer will be at a premium. let me know or ill bring cake. and if i have to lower myself to cake,... well,... let me just tell you,... ill bring enough. and youll be sorry.

why did that weird guy bring so much cake?

Spirit Walker
11-10-2006, 20:59
There are also a lot of bunks in the hostel. The cost is low, it is warmer than the campground and it helps support the hostel and keep them supporting us. If everyone camps out, they make little money. Though there is a day use fee - I think $5/day? Besides, the last few years it has been quieter at the hostel at night than at the campground.

Frosty
11-11-2006, 00:15
the last few years it has been quieter at the hostel at night than at the campground.It wouldn't be quieter on the first floor if I slept there :D

StarLyte
11-11-2006, 08:15
im trying to find out how to get alot of ice cream there. i need to know what my freezer capabiliti is or if you(the starlyte in mine eyes) think i can keep it out side? but of course this could be alot of trouble ending in soup. my dream would be 4 , five gallon biatches. next would be a lot of half gallons. im sure the freezer will be at a premium. let me know or ill bring cake. and if i have to lower myself to cake,... well,... let me just tell you,... ill bring enough. and youll be sorry.

why did that weird guy bring so much cake?

There are 2 refridgerators with nice size freezers to store this in the hostel kitchen (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13811&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1). I would say if you want to keep it outside, make sure it's in your car and out of the sun. It is most definitely cold enough at night, not sure about daytime. Last year I remember sitting outside on a swing eating my lunch without a coat on, yet at night even the campfire didn't keep us warm.

Any dessert is welcome Matt. Bring as much as you like of whatever you'd like.

StarLyte
12-07-2006, 18:39
My love for stoves has inspired me to post this message about an idea I have for the PA Ruck.

I plan on bringing a few stoves I own to display at the PA Ruck and am asking if any of you out there would like to display your stove at this event you are more than welcome to. There will be a small table where you can display your favorite or unusual stove. It doesn't necessarily have to be a common or desirable stove.

I am asking that you do not put a "for sale" on your stove as I am not encouraging people to make money, this is for educational purposes. No agenda please.

Yes I am bringing Zelph's stove, the StarLyte. It is awesome. I'm bringing my old cheap esbit too with 2 different type tabs, possibly another type stove.

Please feel free to bring what you'd like. I think it would be fun.

bfitz
12-07-2006, 20:19
I want to make a dragon sculpture using the alcohol stove technique.

rafe
12-21-2006, 02:35
It's a bit of schlep from Beantown, but I'm gonna try to make it. Let's see you all try to Tuckerize my beloved Camp Trails Pack...

If anyone else from the Boston area is planning to attend, I'd be happy to provide a ride (that would make it harder to back out ;).) Anyone? Bueller?

StarLyte
01-03-2007, 08:55
Happy New Years friends and PA Rucksters....

The PA Ruck will be held the last weekend in January, 26th thru 28th at
Ironmasters hostel, Pine Grove Furnace State Park PA.

Updates will be submitted frequently to the PA RUCK (http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html) website and here.

Potlucks are as follows:

Friday night pasta dinner:
Pasta, meats, salad, breads, cheeses

Saturday soup, chili and fixins benefit for the hostel

Saturday night RuckFeast
Anything goes !

Breakfast items. This is usually an on-your-own meal(s) but if you'd like to
organize a breakfast please feel free to do so. Otherwise, breakfast items
are donated by most everyone. It's a great way for everyone to get a little
involved in the kitchen, a GREAT place to be at the PA Ruck!

At this time if anyone has ideas on what they are bringing, please email me.
Some of you have already done this, thanks! Let's try not to confuse
anything with the Southern Ruck's menu if we can help it.

I'll post updated food lists here frequently. I am asking that you email me
directly with your contributions.

We have the DVD slide show projector for Saturday night, much thanks to
Brian Klotz "Jollies" for this. There will be a DVD player hooked up to the
TV for Friday night viewing.

Last year there were Rucksters who dropped off items at the hostel in
advance. We appreciate you and ask that if there are interests, please feel
free to do so again this year :)

Looking forward to seeing you!

Marsha
[email protected]

Deerleg
01-14-2007, 13:12
Hiked that area in the fall so I just added this pic of Pole Steeple to my gallery sence a few of you may be doing that hike...Have fun!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/9/5/ATTrip2006036B.JPG

Boat Drinks
01-16-2007, 15:54
I want to make a dragon sculpture using the alcohol stove technique.

I loved this idea BTW.

Boat Drinks
01-16-2007, 16:00
Man, after the SoRuck, how can I miss this one? """"OK, lets see, need a pet sitter again........... look at frquent flyer miles.......... can I take off from work again.......... what are they gonna do fire me....I quit in March anyway.....hmm........ Starlyte was right about the SoRuck........... will The Dude and Mathewski be there...... how about LW..... should I bring a sand wedge......... I bet I'll learn even more at this one........... Maybe make some brownies......... I don't have to get Tuckerized again do I.......I sure hope there is another camp fire........Maybe I can bring some of my famous cheese dip......""""""""

What's Happening to ME???????????????????????????:D

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:08
Man, after the SoRuck, how can I miss this one? """"OK, lets see, need a pet sitter again........... look at frquent flyer miles.......... can I take off from work again.......... what are they gonna do fire me....I quit in March anyway.....hmm........ Starlyte was right about the SoRuck........... will The Dude and Mathewski be there...... how about LW..... should I bring a sand wedge......... I bet I'll learn even more at this one........... Maybe make some brownies......... I don't have to get Tuckerized again do I.......I sure hope there is another camp fire........Maybe I can bring some of my famous cheese dip......""""""""

yeah i'm comin'. there will be a campfire. that tuckerizing crap is dumb.

otterman
01-16-2007, 16:26
Okay. I'm a section hiker with no plans to thru-hike, but I would love to meet other Whiteblazers. Is it worth the 7.5 hour drive for me to go to the PA Ruck?

Lone Wolf
01-16-2007, 16:30
Okay. I'm a section hiker with no plans to thru-hike, but I would love to meet other Whiteblazers. Is it worth the 7.5 hour drive for me to go to the PA Ruck?

Yes it is. Lotsa fun and great chow.

otterman
01-16-2007, 16:32
You may have talked me into it.

D'Artagnan
01-16-2007, 16:33

Dude, I'm starting to think you spent a little too much time with matthewski at the SORUCK. :D

Boat Drinks
01-16-2007, 16:46

I drove over 8 to get to the NOC, YES DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boat Drinks
01-16-2007, 16:47
Dude, I'm starting to think you spent a little too much time with matthewski at the SORUCK. :D

You may be right..;) ... Thanks for the Stogie BTW, Smoked it on my balcony last night listening to the waves.

Hammock Hanger
01-16-2007, 19:38
I drove over 8 to get to the NOC, YES DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeap, it was close to 8.5 for me. It was well worth it. Back in 2002 I drove all the way to the PA Ruck, but that is just a little to far. Glad we now have a SORuck.

Wonder
01-16-2007, 20:57
I'm only 2/3 of the way back. Matthewski and I just drove with THe Dude 12 hours back to VA, and now we have 4 hours to Matts and another 45mins to my house. ITS NEVER TO FAR!!! :-)
I had a blast, and wish that I could get outta work to make it to the PaRuck....mearly 2 hours away....oh, well
It was great meeting so many new people, and hanging out with my old buds. NOw I really can't wait for this season!
Less then a month until I hike!!!!!! WooHOo!
Gotta get on the road to Philly!

bfitz
01-16-2007, 21:44

I drove 12 hours to go to Soruck...

Sly
01-16-2007, 21:55
Yeap, it was close to 8.5 for me. It was well worth it. Back in 2002 I drove all the way to the PA Ruck, but that is just a little to far. Glad we now have a SORuck.

Brief history of the SORUCK...

The first southern Ruck was called the GARuck, held in 2001 at the Goose Creek cabins. Numbers 2 & 3 in '02 and '03 were at Amicalola Falls, #4 in '04 when the name was "officially" changed to SORuck or Southern Ruck at Camp Thornwell in SC, #'s 5,6 and 7 in '05, '06, '07 at the NOC.

1Pint
01-16-2007, 23:13
Brief history of the SORUCK...

The first southern Ruck was called the GARuck, held in 2001 at the Goose Creek cabins. Numbers 2 & 3 in '02 and '03 were at Amicalola Falls, #4 in '04 when the name was "officially" changed to SORuck or Southern Ruck at Camp Thornwell in SC, #'s 5,6 and 7 in '05, '06, '07 at the NOC.

Hey Sly - you and the crew (don't know for sure who was working with you since I wasn't paying attention in pre-Ruck school) did a great job and I really appreciate all the time and work you invested to make the gathering - um... ruck happen. :clap

Wonder
01-17-2007, 02:57
2am and finally home......can't wait to do this ride again next month.
At least I get to walk home that time!

Panzer1
01-17-2007, 13:32
2am and finally home......can't wait to do this ride again next month.
At least I get to walk home that time!

Glad to see you made it back home safely Wonderfoot.

So, are you going to "thru" next month, or is it just a section hike? Are you going with Matt?

Panzer

StarLyte
01-17-2007, 17:46
:D :banana

What he said.

StarLyte
01-17-2007, 17:49

It's 5-1/2 from Cleveland. It's a nice ride.

We have people from MI and IN also.....

Trillium
01-18-2007, 00:36
It's 5-1/2 from Cleveland. It's a nice ride.

We have people from MI and IN also.....
not to hijack this thread but I think it would be nice to have a gathering somewhere between Toledo and Indiana for the Ohio/Indiana/Michigan gang. :sun

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 06:59
Start planning it.

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 09:31
Hey Lone Wolf you're reading me....

After updating the food and supply list, the following is what we STILL need for the PA Ruck.

If you are attending the PA Ruck, it would be appreciated if you would either post your contribution idea here, or email me privately at: [email protected].

We are need of these items:

FRIDAY NIGHT PASTA DINNER-
Pasta, meats, sauce, cheeses, breads, salads

SATURDAY SOUP AND CHILI BENEFIT FOR THE HOSTEL:
We ONLY have 2 vegeterian chilis, 1 soup

SATURDAY NIGHT RUCKFEAST:
We are in need of all dishes, meats, YOUR Ideas
A great contribution is something you cook, or bought locally.
Ethnic dishes are always welcome!

There are only 2 dessert items

SUPPLIES:
We need COFFEE - (we have decaf)
We need creamers. And LOTS of it.
We need eating utensils, napkins.

We are set on everything else.

Attendance is usually 50 to 130 people.

Your attention to this is very important, we only have ONE week left to plan.

Thank you if you have already responded.

StarLyte

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 09:39
I'll bring carnivore chili for Saturday lunch. Meatballs for Friday night chow. Plus other stuff.

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 09:50
I'll bring carnivore chili for Saturday lunch. Meatballs for Friday night chow. Plus other stuff.

Hey LW - if you'd like, we can make the meatballs the day before at the hostel. I'll match your meat and we'll have meatball slinging feng shui event.

Gotta have carnivore chili. Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 09:52
OK. Thursday is my birthday. We'll make birthday balls.

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 11:06
OK. Thursday is my birthday. We'll make birthday balls.

You think we're going to sit around and just make birthday balls on your birthday?

I think not.

Lone Wolf
01-18-2007, 11:15
drink some merlot perhaps?:banana

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 11:20
drink some merlot perhaps?:banana

Oh my gosh.

EarlyBird2007
01-18-2007, 12:51
PA RUCK 2007

January 26 - 28th 2007

WWW.PARUCK.COM (http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html)

Any questions - please contact StarLyte at: [email protected]

Welcome All !

Hi, Starlyte. Early Bird here. I'm planning a thru hike this year starting from Springer on March 25. Looking forward to getting lots of tips from experienced thru-hikers. I'll probably come down early Sat. morning before the hike to Pole Steeple and stay till Sunday morning.

I live in Mechanicsburg, which is only @ 30 mi. from PGF. I see from your website that you are looking for firewood. Do you still need some? If so, I can probably bring some down this coming weekend. What else can I bring? You can send me a pm or email.

Also, being local, I am very familiar with the area. If anyone has questions about getting to PGF, you can point them my way.:D

By the way, the (very) long range forecast for that weekend is highs in the low to mid 30s, lows in the mid 20s, chance of snow flurries Sat. night. Pretty nornal for late Jan in central PA.

bfitz
01-18-2007, 12:56
mmmmmmm.....bithday balls..............

rafe
01-18-2007, 14:03
Anyone in MA want to share a ride to PARuck? PM me, please. I can drive or passenge. Might be more fun than doing the whole trip alone from Bedford.

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 16:46
Hello Pa Ruckster......

If you are able and willing, please bring CAMPFIRE WOOD.

As you all well know, this time of year up north is friggin cold.....this means besides huddling together to keep warm, sipping on spirits, we will need wood. The more wood, the bigger the campfire, we keep warm and you are the celebrity.

IN THE EVENT any of you live in the vicinity of Carlisle/Gardeners/Pine Grove Furnace State Park PA.......you can drop your wood off ahead of time at:

CAMPSITE # 68
with a NOTE on the woodpile that reads:
DO NOT TOUCH - PA RUCK

Or just bring your wood to the Ruck. We'll gladly taken it from you.

We will thank you and praise you for your efforts. Plus you won't freeze yer a$$ off.

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 16:57
.....refreshing tired minds......

We are having a backpacking stove display at the PA Ruck.

Bring your stoves. Old, new, handmade, ugly, tech, gas, wood, handcrank, tin, steel.....

We'll have a nice table and labels for you to put your stove(s) on too.

I am bringing the StarLyte stove. You guys have to see this! I brought it to the Southern Ruck but I carried it around with me like a newborn baby.

The backpacking stove display is a non-profit event.

All vendors are welcomed and encouraged to display their own items.

StarLyte
Stove Freak

jlb2012
01-18-2007, 17:08
Hello Pa Ruckster......

Or just bring your wood to the Ruck. We'll gladly taken it from you.

StarLyte - please note that there are some issues wrt transporting firewood these days especially with some new pests showing up like the Emerald Ash Borer. I would recommend only getting firewood from the local area - maybe 20 mile radius ???

bobsectionhikes2006
01-18-2007, 17:18
Marsha.....i think you have me down for a spiral ham...anything else you need...give me a holler....merlot eh...sounds good...although this is a "dry" event....i have a feeling some will show up in my pack...<G>...see ya there!

JB
Bob Davies

bfitz
01-18-2007, 17:26
Marsha.....i think you have me down for a spiral ham...anything else you need...give me a holler....merlot eh...sounds good...although this is a "dry" event....i have a feeling some will show up in my pack...<G>...see ya there!

JB
Bob Davies

Dry.......?

StarLyte
01-18-2007, 17:37
StarLyte - please note that there are some issues wrt transporting firewood these days especially with some new pests showing up like the Emerald Ash Borer. I would recommend only getting firewood from the local area - maybe 20 mile radius ???

Thanks for mentioning this HOI. I do mention this on the PA Ruck website (http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html).

Please refer to this site for more information:

PA STATE PARK SYSTEM (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/beetlesadvisory.aspx)

jlb2012
01-18-2007, 17:45
Thanks for mentioning this HOI. I do mention this on the PA Ruck website (http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html).

Please refer to this site for more information:

PA STATE PARK SYSTEM (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/beetlesadvisory.aspx)

Sorry - I missed the reference on the PA RUCK website.

Sly
01-18-2007, 17:46
Dry.......?

No alcohol allowed in the hostel or State Park.... :eek:

bfitz
01-18-2007, 17:54
I get it.;)

Panzer1
01-18-2007, 21:57
I live in Mechanicsburg, which is only @ 30 mi. from PGF. I see from your website that you are looking for firewood. Do you still need some? If so, I can probably bring some down this coming weekend. What else can I bring? You can send me a pm or email.

Gary Roberts usually hosts the camp fire in camp site #68. If you want, you can bring the firewood there. That's the site we had the camp fire the last couple of years in a row. It's like a community camp fire. We always need more fire wood.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-18-2007, 22:15
For those of you who have never camped out at the PA Ruck you should know that it can get very cold at night. It has been in the single digits at night before. Right now the long range weather is calling for 22* on friday night and 23* on saturday night. So be prepared.

If you get too cold at night you can always go up to the Hostel to spend the rest of the night there. We don't want anyone to get frost bite. (or you can just stay up all night partying at the campfire)

Panzer

Panzer1
01-19-2007, 01:11

There is no alcohol permited in the hostel, period.

Theretically, there is no alcohol permitted in the State Park too. However, many do imbibe in the park. It is best to do this in a inconspicious manner. If the park rangers come thru, and they do, you could get a large fine. The best advice is to be inconspicious when you consume in the park.

Panzers tip: Do not leave empty bottles/cans laying everywhere. Put them back into the box they came out of. Keep the box in an inconspicious place.

Panzer

Sly
01-19-2007, 01:32

I thought I said that? But if you think it's OK to break the regs in the state park, why wouldn't you at the hostel?

camojack
01-19-2007, 06:15
:rolleyes: Stealth drinking.

Tell that gal (formerly known as "Onepint") that she'll be stuck with her new trail name... :bse

Lone Wolf
01-19-2007, 10:27

Theretically, there is no alcohol permitted in the State Park too

It ain't a theory. www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/recreation/camping.aspx
2nd to last rule/reg

bfitz
01-19-2007, 10:34
We don't break any rules, we're law abiding citizens. Got it?

Gray Blazer
01-19-2007, 10:37
Wish I could be there. Have fun! Now we need someone in FL who is a good organizer. Who is gonna step up to the plate and organize some FL WB events?

EarlyBird2007
01-19-2007, 13:36
about booze at PGF. The trail maintaining clubs in PA have a good working relationship with the DCNR. We want to keep it that way. Please don't screw it up.:D

jlb2012
01-19-2007, 13:41
Wish I could be there. Have fun! Now we need someone in FL who is a good organizer. Who is gonna step up to the plate and organize some FL WB events?

CoralRives of course!!!

Draft Johnny ... draft Johnny .... draft Johnny

ROFLMAO:D :D :D :D

1Pint
01-19-2007, 13:52
:rolleyes: Stealth drinking.

Tell that gal (formerly known as "Onepint") that she'll be stuck with her new trail name... :bse

Hey Camo - that "new" trail name is strickly verboten as you well know!!

I'm looking forward to letting the trail name me - not a bunch of sleep-deprived alcohol-fed twisted-joke-telling fools such as yourself, Lone Wolf, Weathercarrot, and CoralRives.

With Sincerity and Plans for Outrageous Retaliation Should This Warning Not be Heeded,
Laura
(wondering why I can't find a icon that says "up yours":cool: )

Boat Drinks
01-19-2007, 19:53

CoralRives of course!!!

Draft Johnny ... draft Johnny .... draft Johnny

ROFLMAO:D

As soon as I'm done with my Hike, I'm on it Baby!:D :cool: I got pals with tons of land out in the country. No mountains though... That bother anyone???;)

Boat Drinks
01-19-2007, 19:55
I'm looking forward to letting the trail name me - not a bunch of sleep-deprived alcohol-fed twisted-joke-telling fools such as yourself, Lone Wolf, Weathercarrot, and CoralRives.

I was gonna be offended by that remark and then thought... "well, she pretty much nailed me....."

1Pint
01-19-2007, 22:38
I was gonna be offended by that remark and then thought... "well, she pretty much nailed me....."

;) :: taking deep bow ::

camojack
01-20-2007, 01:38
Hey Camo - that "new" trail name is strickly verboten as you well know!!

With Sincerity and Plans for Outrageous Retaliation Should This Warning Not be Heeded,
Laura
(wondering why I can't find a icon that says "up yours":cool: )

Fools? Do not awaken the WRATH of Camo, there, "Three-holer". :sun
(The "sleep-deprived, alcohol-fed, twisted-joke-telling" Part, OK...)

Boat Drinks
01-20-2007, 01:44
I see we have awoken the Evil CamoJack monster.... 3 post and counting!:sun

Sly
01-20-2007, 02:45
I see we have awoken the Evil CamoJack monster.... 3 post and counting!:sun

LOL... I like his stats... 0.01 posts per day! Talkative guy! :p

Heater
01-20-2007, 06:02
Oh my gosh.

Lone Wolf used a dancing bananna... Be very afraid...

StarLyte
01-20-2007, 07:22
about booze at PGF. The trail maintaining clubs in PA have a good working relationship with the DCNR. We want to keep it that way. Please don't screw it up.:D

The PA Ruck has an EXCELLENT reputation with PA State Park system, even during the Billville leaf blower demonstration (http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-ruck03). (dang how did I find THAT photo album)

How do I know?......they told me so. And they are completely aware of our presence too.

Bigger things to worry about. ;) Love to all.

StarLyte
01-20-2007, 08:43
We are in need of the following items still for the PA Ruck:

Friday night dinner:

Cheeses for the pasta
salad

Saturday Lunch Benefit
We ONLY have 1 carnivore chili (thanks LW), 2 vegetarian chilis, 1 soup
......we need more......
luncheon platters

Saturday night RuckFeast:
Meats - make sure your meat is precooked - unless you email me to arrange something - glady welcomed!

Main entrees

Vegetable entrees

Salads

Any dishes: ethnic, etc. don't be shy

Desserts - you can NEVER have enough

PA Ruck is usually a breakfast-on-your-own kind of thing. If you'd like to take charge of a breakfast, please do so.....

we need COFFEE CREAMER

plastic forks, spoons, napkins

Please feel free to post what you're bringing here, or email me at:

[email protected]

Thank you!

EarlyBird2007
01-20-2007, 13:31
Hello Pa Ruckster......

Starlyte & all: I just dropped off some firewood at site 68. By the way, the main road into the camping area is currently CLOSED. There is a big truck and some construction equipment blocking it. NEVER FEAR, just go in the exit road (obviously watch carefully for oncoming traffic) and it is easy to get to site 68.:D

jollies
01-20-2007, 14:41
Oh wonderful event organizer:

I will bring the coffee creamer, forks, spoons and napkins. By the looks of it, I'll need enough for about 40 - 50 people?

EarlyBird2007
01-20-2007, 15:15
The PA Ruck has an EXCELLENT reputation with PA State Park system.

Starlyte: I'm sure that is true. The point I was making is, the last thing any of us wants is for some Rucksters to be caught drinking illegally in the park.

By the way, I am planning to bring coffee AND creamer.:D

Panzer1
01-20-2007, 17:16
Starlyte & all: I just dropped off some firewood at site 68.

I hope it is still there by next Friday.

Panzer

Hangman
01-20-2007, 18:00
I can bring a few packs of block cheese of different flavors to add to salad.

Panzer1
01-20-2007, 18:45
Last year at the Ruck I had a problem with my digital camera. (Kodak DX3600) The zoom lense froze. It half closed and then froze/jammed in that position. At the time it was below freezing. I had tried to keep it from freezing by keeping it in my pocket as much as possible. But it froze when I took it out to use it. It was several months before finally a friend of mine was able to fix it for me. I'm not going to bring that camera to the Ruck again. Actually it was my wife's camera so I got a lot of crap for what happened. Does anyone else have problems with freezing cameras.

Panzer

jollies
01-20-2007, 19:19
OK, since Jimhfoster is bringing creamer, I'll bring the plastic silverware, napkins, and a soup for Saturday lunch.

bfitz
01-20-2007, 19:21
Lone Wolf used a dancing bananna... Be very afraid...

What did he do with that?:eek:

Heater
01-20-2007, 20:22
What did he do with that?:eek:

I don't know but it involves Birthday balls, Feng shui and a bottle of Merlot.
Now... if you combined those things with a quart of 10W-30, a set of Jumper cables. and a saddle, I could make an educated guess.

Panzer1
01-21-2007, 01:14
The PA Ruck has an EXCELLENT reputation with PA State Park system, even during the Billville leaf blower demonstration (http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-ruck03). (dang how did I find THAT photo album).

So who's bringing the leaf blower this year.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-21-2007, 03:41
I paid about $2.339 a gallon for gas at last years Ruck.
Yesterday I filled up for $2.239 a gallon.:banana
Cheaper gas prices should make it a little easier for people to make it to this years Ruck.

Panzer

camojack
01-21-2007, 04:44
LOL... I like his stats... 0.01 posts per day! Talkative guy! :p

Yeah, I'm positively loquacious (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/loquacious)...yet some still call me a troll. :eek:
("Some" are quite clueless, y'know?)

Hey, Sly, come to the PA Ruck; you won't have to coordinate a thing!

Sly
01-21-2007, 04:51
Yeah, I'm positively loquacious (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/loquacious)...yet some still call me a troll. :eek:
("Some" are quite clueless, y'know?)

Hey, Sly, come to the PA Ruck; you won't have to coordinate a thing!

LOL... Yeah loquacious, that's the ticket, thanks for the link! I'm thinking of coming up. Maybe if someone down here wants to share the driving....

camojack
01-21-2007, 04:58
LOL... Yeah loquacious, that's the ticket, thanks for the link! I'm thinking of coming up. Maybe if someone down here wants to share the driving....

FWIW, I hope you can make it; as for carpooling, try putting out a feeler on the "other" list.

Maybe if you go to Damascus, you can catch a ride with Lone Wolf. :-?
(I'm already supposed to be giving someone a ride from Philly...)

StarLyte
01-21-2007, 07:21
Starlyte & all: I just dropped off some firewood at site 68. By the way, the main road into the camping area is currently CLOSED. There is a big truck and some construction equipment blocking it. NEVER FEAR, just go in the exit road (obviously watch carefully for oncoming traffic) and it is easy to get to site 68.:D

Thanks for this info Jim !

Yes, I read about the campground construction and I phoned them a while back to ask them will this interfere with anything we have going on and they said absolutely not.

Thank you ever so much for dropping wood off, and please join us for a campfire!

StarLyte
01-21-2007, 07:23
I can bring a few packs of block cheese of different flavors to add to salad.

Thanks Hangman, got ya down for that.

StarLyte
01-21-2007, 07:27
Hello friends and devoted PA Rucksters........

Here is another update on our food and supply list:

Saturday soup benefit - we need soups. No more chilis please :rolleyes:

Saturday night RuckFeast:

We need entrees.....meats.....ethnic dishes (where are these?)......

Vegetarian DISHES

We have enough supplies, coffee and misc. Friday night dinner items are filled.

Hey.....gas is down to $1.99 a gallon !!!! Panzer fill up your truck now!!!

I'll update this list frequently.

Thanks to all !

Panzer1
01-21-2007, 16:15
Hey.....gas is down to $1.99 a gallon !!!! Panzer fill up your truck now!!!

I filled up on Friday night for $2.239. That's cheap around here. Gas must be a lot cheaper in Ohio then it is in the Phila area. A tank of gas usually lasts me about 2-3 weeks. So that's the last gas I'll buy until I'm on my way to the Ruck. I'll top off then.

See you all on Friday. We'll be arriving by about noon time. I want to get everything set up while it's daylight and not too cold. I'm bringing Matt plus another guy, a first timer, Rich, no trail name yet.

Panzer

Ridge Rat
01-21-2007, 21:51
I filled up on Friday night for $2.239. That's cheap around here. Gas must be a lot cheaper in Ohio then it is in the Phila area. A tank of gas usually lasts me about 2-3 weeks. So that's the last gas I'll buy until I'm on my way to the Ruck. I'll top off then.

See you all on Friday. We'll be arriving by about noon time. I want to get everything set up while it's daylight and not too cold. I'm bringing Matt plus another guy, a first timer, Rich, no trail name yet.

Panzer

Try taking a ride across the Tacony-Palmyra. I make the excuse that I am going to REI but I really do it for the 2.09 gas at the Wawa right across the bridge.

wpbucher
01-22-2007, 11:10
How many miles is the hike to Pole Steeple? Easy, Moderate, Difficult?

otterman
01-22-2007, 11:23
Strlyte - Put me down for beef vegetable soup for the Saturday lunch. I'm wracking my brain to try and figure something out for Saturday dinner. Would it be helpful to bring a crock pot to heat the soup or is it an issue with electrical outlets?

EarlyBird2007
01-22-2007, 13:30
If memory serves, it's about 4 miles one way. The hike is flat through the park, then there's a moderate up hill (past the 1/2 way marker) to the blue blazed side trail to Pole Steeple.

How many miles is the hike to Pole Steeple? Easy, Moderate, Difficult?

Spirit Walker
01-22-2007, 14:39
Round trip is 4 1/2 - 5 miles. It's an easy hike, with a nice view at the top.

EarlyBird2007
01-22-2007, 15:45
Round trip is 4 1/2 - 5 miles. It's an easy hike, with a nice view at the top.

You are probably right as to distance. Very pleasant hike. Last summer I did a 2 day hike there and tent camped just north of the 1/2 way marker.

Tenacious Tanasi
01-22-2007, 15:52
Last year at the Ruck I had a problem with my digital camera. (Kodak DX3600) The zoom lense froze. It half closed and then froze/jammed in that position. At the time it was below freezing. I had tried to keep it from freezing by keeping it in my pocket as much as possible. But it froze when I took it out to use it. It was several months before finally a friend of mine was able to fix it for me. I'm not going to bring that camera to the Ruck again. Actually it was my wife's camera so I got a lot of crap for what happened. Does anyone else have problems with freezing cameras.

Panzer

I've never had too many problems with my camera in cold weather. You see I simply put it down my bra to keep it warm between shots. ;)

Lone Wolf
01-22-2007, 16:24

some don't follow rules...
http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-ruck03/aal

ed bell
01-22-2007, 16:29
Try taking a ride across the Tacony-Palmyra. I make the excuse that I am going to REI but I really do it for the 2.09 gas at the Wawa right across the bridge.Gas down here in upstate SC was $1.86 today and dropping.

Ridge Rat
01-22-2007, 16:33
Gas down here in upstate SC was $1.86 today and dropping.

I miss the south sometimes. Car insurance isnt outragious either down there. I moved here from Raliegh NC for work. More money, less to show for it.

Sly
01-22-2007, 18:08
some don't follow rules...
http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-ruck03/aal

Oh wow! Who would have thunk Mr Law 'n Order- you're giving hikers a bad rep- would have flagrantly broken the rules. :p

StarLyte
01-22-2007, 18:26
Strlyte - Put me down for beef vegetable soup for the Saturday lunch. I'm wracking my brain to try and figure something out for Saturday dinner. Would it be helpful to bring a crock pot to heat the soup or is it an issue with electrical outlets?

Hi Otterman -

Yes, it would be beneficial to space and congestion if you would bring the crock pot; power source allowing ;)

StarLyte
01-22-2007, 18:27
I've never had too many problems with my camera in cold weather. You see I simply put it down my bra to keep it warm between shots. ;)

And it most definitely won't get lost. :D

Sly
01-22-2007, 18:35
And it most definitely won't get lost. :D

I don't know about that! My head could get lost! :eek:

Panzer1
01-22-2007, 23:14

So then, your saying if I brought my camera to the ruck, I could keep it there??

Panzer the hopefull

StarLyte
01-23-2007, 18:42
Hello Friends......

This is my last update on the PA Ruck.

Food situation is:

We have all supplies but I feel we could use more styrofoam cups.

We still need meats, entrees, vegetable dishes for Saturday night.

We need desserts.

Don't forget to bring your backpacking stove if you would like to put it among the Ruck's display - I have the 2 StarLyte stoves and my handy esbit...of course :D

It will be extremely cold at night.

If you are coming in late on Friday and want me to save you a plate, call the hostel (yes I do stupid things like this).

If any potential thru hikers are attending, bring your pack to be tuckerized. Pack just as if you were thruhiking.

Trail Angel Mary I am not going to have time to drive to Duncannon to pick up those items that you wanted to donate to the PA Ruck. If there is anyone in that area that is willing to swing by her house or the Riviera (I'll give you directions), it would be really appreciated.....that's UNLESS she is attending the PA Ruck herself ;)

jollies
01-23-2007, 19:12
I've been working on Mary to come too...Hope she makes it!! :-) I got the styrofoam cups, by the way.

mweinstone
01-23-2007, 19:50
a quiet man enters ironmasters annonimusly. he walks to a coner far from the bustle of hiker energys. from within his many mysterious parcels he produces a small devise and plugs it into the electrical outlet. and sinks to the floor . no one notices. the machine is a small air popper for making popcorn. another devise apperes from the bag. its a sterno stove. the man unfolds it and sets a can of solid alcohol fuel beneath it. he lights it and puts a pot on it full of butter. six pounds of popcorn begin to pop. butter melts . all is about to change in this quiet corner. the aroma sneaks off and arouses many who flok to eat . and then the quiet man picks up and dissapears as mysteriously as he appeared. he retreats to a large closet where under the light of a single bulb, he begins to slice pinnaples. emerging from his private prayer/ pinnaple closet , he depostits the last hours cuttings before the now drunken guests. again he dissapears. reapearing , he delivers bourbon to the crowd.a profuse amount of quality bourbon. one last time he sheds the warm glow of the others, gathering a few select bobers,..... they drift off. reapearing and re-dissapearing frequently ,........the clock on the wall suddenly screams,.RUCK!!!!

mweinstone
01-23-2007, 20:55
ever hear the real story of minnesota smith? my name is matthewski and i first met minesota smith in a two bit bar on the wrong side of the tracks in brooklyn. he was rambleing incoherently some crap about his failed writting carrer and how he should show them all by wrighting a book about faking a thru hike of the appalachian trail. i wasnt even listening to him till i heard the words appalachian trail. i turned and asked if i heard correctly and he asked," why do you like my idea?" to witch i replied, he couldnt do it and that i knew what i was talking about. he said that with my help he could and that he would give me royaltys from the book he thaught he could wright. and thats how it all got started. yesterday i got a letter from a publisher asking me to sign a contract for 3 % of the net profits on a book to be released in 6 weeks entitled,"the secret life of the appalachian trail" im not supposed to tell you all this. im leagaly responsible if i mess up the book release. so what. i made minnesota smith!

mweinstone
01-24-2007, 07:50
the only wanderer has somthing i want. im going to take it from him and there wont be any asking. im going to study his every move and thaught to find out how i can steal from him what i need. then im going to give it out to teenagers all over the place. its something ive been searching for since i was 9. its something he carrys on his lips and in his will. but nevertheless, i can take it for my own. im really good at stealing things like this from people without them noticing. what is it ? his will not to drink or smoke. yup. thats all. im gonna find out how he does it and do it too. if he can be happy with a dip and a pen, so can i.if hes learned how to replace partying with being alone with god, then so can i. and finnaly, if a fat old fart can do it, yada yada yada,.....

i love the wanderer. rucks are good for this.

mweinstone
01-24-2007, 16:49
one more work day till ruck! up to #37 ****/post on my multitask list of ruck related activitys. i learned multitasking by being in the presece of the master. marsha starlyte. allthough her peak task speeds far out perform my own, im still learning and hope to one day achieve starlytes speed of over 40 thousand tasks per second.in other task news, meeting panzer one at the train today to dump my high camp equiptment and tell him mrs panzer is comming. they are under the mistaken impression that shes not comming cause she and cold are old rivals. nevertheless. apon just returning from a sorte to the ruck useing my remote veiwing, ive learned these startleing facts about our ruck.
were out of napkins. the power went out in a storm sunday morn. the rumer that lone wolf wont show was false. and finally from the future,... mrs panzer was sitting at a table peeling apples and had a smile on her face that said," mat was right, what was i thinking?"

Wonder
01-24-2007, 19:01
Guess what folks! I'm a-commin' to ruck!
I won't be there until late friday night or early sat. There is an 80% chance that I hve a ride with my friend manifesto......her first hiker event, be gentle.
Anyway...can't wait to se y'all

mweinstone
01-24-2007, 20:06
gary and his dog pepper would attend ruck if only a ride could be found. gary and me hiked this year till we were lifelong type buddys. we wright and he sends photes of his wilderness camp in ohio. he lives in hillsboro ohio and i will so so gladly pay all trip costs for any car passing his direction. free gas tool and food from gary to ruck. hes hiking with lone wolf soon and then heading to hot springs , mrs j's and points north on trail. we need to bring gary and pepper and have lone wolf have another reason to make ruck. anyone?

mweinstone
01-24-2007, 20:10
spoke to starlyte today. she was on top of a mountain in mechanicsburg pa and exsploring animals caves. she says that two of you are comming from garys direction. one from indianna. who are you? ill call her back later .meanwhile, just gave panzer the food stuffs and pinnapples. he barly could lift my crappy bags. ill see him fri morn for blast off. meanwhile, lets get gary and pepper to ruck shall we?

mweinstone
01-24-2007, 20:16
i wanna see every psycked rucker on line now! i forgot, i also would freak out with joy if i could hang with gary and pepper for even a weekend.he lives kinda off the grid and without internet and i gotta call him tonight and let him know about rids. i may use craigslist . im gonna see what whiteblaze can do first. also spoke to corral reeves today. he has to work and wont be comming. hes real sad and i promised to call him from ruck to send him the sounds and voices of ruck. maby we will pass the phone around.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2007, 20:16
gary and his dog pepper would attend ruck if only a ride could be found. gary and me hiked this year till we were lifelong type buddys. we wright and he sends photes of his wilderness camp in ohio. he lives in hillsboro ohio and i will so so gladly pay all trip costs for any car passing his direction. free gas tool and food from gary to ruck. hes hiking with lone wolf soon and then heading to hot springs , mrs j's and points north on trail. we need to bring gary and pepper and have lone wolf have another reason to make ruck. anyone?

dont know no gary and pepper and aint hikin with nobody soon.

mweinstone
01-24-2007, 23:48
i got it wrong then.

mweinstone
01-25-2007, 17:36
hey lonewolf are you commin?

Lone Wolf
01-25-2007, 17:37
hey lonewolf are you commin?

nope. ain't comin'

bfitz
01-25-2007, 17:45
nope. ain't comin'Well, dang! What'sa- matter? Can't get outta work or something?

TOW
01-25-2007, 18:18
the only wanderer has somthing i want. im going to take it from him and there wont be any asking. im going to study his every move and thaught to find out how i can steal from him what i need. then im going to give it out to teenagers all over the place. its something ive been searching for since i was 9. its something he carrys on his lips and in his will. but nevertheless, i can take it for my own. im really good at stealing things like this from people without them noticing. what is it ? his will not to drink or smoke. yup. thats all. im gonna find out how he does it and do it too. if he can be happy with a dip and a pen, so can i.if hes learned how to replace partying with being alone with god, then so can i. and finnaly, if a fat old fart can do it, yada yada yada,.....

i love the wanderer. rucks are good for this.
i love you too bro...............btw, that's mr fat old fart to you pal.............

TOW
01-25-2007, 18:20
Well, dang! What'sa- matter? Can't get outta work or something?
lmao!!!!:D

mweinstone
01-25-2007, 23:16
hey bfitz(noise a can of soda makes when opened), when will you arrive?

bfitz
01-25-2007, 23:37
er....unsure....likely around 10 or so in the evening....mabye a bit sooner. I've got a few things to do tomorrow, figure I won't get done till around rush hour and then have to wait it out before departing.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2007, 23:43
Tell everyone I said hey. Sorry I can't make it, but two trips from Hanover to PA in the space of 4 weeks is one trip too many, especially since I started working weekends. Have a great time and see you in Duncannon in a month!

mweinstone
01-25-2007, 23:55
cool. cant wait ta blab ya.

Stonewall
01-26-2007, 00:28
Lol so I just found out I will be able to make it to the Ruck but won't be able to leave until around 3 which will put me up in the area around 6 pm. I haven't made any arrangement staying anywhere yet >.< I figured i probably be would be staying at the campground but again i haven't made arrangements. do you guys think that i would be able to call and figure out everything while on my way up? lol I hate last minute plans but thankful i can come up.

Oh and where should I go first Campground or Hostel?

Panzer1
01-26-2007, 00:35
Lol so I just found out I will be able to make it to the Ruck but won't be able to leave until around 3 which will put me up in the area around 6 pm. I haven't made any arrangement staying anywhere yet >.< I figured i probably be would be staying at the campground but again i haven't made arrangements. do you guys think that i would be able to call and figure out everything while on my way up? lol I hate last minute plans but thankful i can come up.

You don't need to make reservations. Just show up.

If your going to camp you will have to plan that carefully because it's going to be so cold.

If your going to stay in the hostel, less planning is needed.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-26-2007, 00:36
Whatever happened to global warming?

Panzer

bfitz
01-26-2007, 00:41
That was last week.

Stonewall
01-26-2007, 00:42

If your going to camp you will have to plan that carefully because it's going to be so cold.

Panzer

Thanks Panzer, lol that sounds better to me. planing is for the birds. I will see everyone tomorrow.

handlebar
01-26-2007, 00:48

I haven't made arrangements either, but figure there'll be room in the campground. I should be getting there early afternoon and will register in hostel first then check out campground. I plan to reserve a campsite by phone Fri AM. You're welcome to share my site, there won't be much on it beyond my MSR EOS1---I'll post info at the hostel using my trail name.

Split pea soup for Sat lunch is simmering on the stove right now and whole wheat bread is rising by the radiator. I should be there by 2pm.

Panzer1
01-26-2007, 01:38
I plan to reserve a campsite by phone Fri AM.

Sometimes its best to wait until you actually see the site. You can pick one in person that looks good or is next to friends. The campground is never fully. Especially this weekend, no sane person would be camping.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-26-2007, 02:50
They won't even let the bums stay outside this weekend. The mayor ordered that they all be picked up and taken somewhere warm.

Panzer

mweinstone
01-26-2007, 07:29
comming panzer! making pankakes and leaving. see ya at the rucktruck!

Lone Wolf
01-26-2007, 07:32

Panzer

cold? 2 years ago it was -2 the first nite, +1 the second. this weekend will be hot in comparison.

STEVEM
01-26-2007, 09:58
They won't even let the bums stay outside this weekend. The mayor ordered that they all be picked up and taken somewhere warm.

Panzer

So, Bums are a little higher on the food chain than you Ruckers.

minnesotasmith
01-26-2007, 12:02
ever hear the real story of minnesota smith? my name is matthewski and i first met minesota smith in a two bit bar on the wrong side of the tracks in brooklyn. he was rambleing incoherently some crap about his failed writting carrer and how he should show them all by wrighting a book about faking a thru hike of the appalachian trail. i wasnt even listening to him till i heard the words appalachian trail. i turned and asked if i heard correctly and he asked," why do you like my idea?" to witch i replied, he couldnt do it and that i knew what i was talking about. he said that with my help he could and that he would give me royaltys from the book he thaught he could wright. and thats how it all got started. yesterday i got a letter from a publisher asking me to sign a contract for 3 % of the net profits on a book to be released in 6 weeks entitled,"the secret life of the appalachian trail" im not supposed to tell you all this. im leagaly responsible if i mess up the book release. so what. i made minnesota smith!

I'm not going to say it's wrong...

Boat Drinks
01-26-2007, 13:34
I can't be there, my loss for sure.
I'm so ready to ditch this company. :( :mad: :datz

Have fun guys, be careful and much Love!!!!

Jester2000
01-26-2007, 20:00
Should arrive tomorrow am. Will most likely be at the Doyle tonight.

Trillium
01-26-2007, 20:28
Drive safely all! Sending good thoughts that you all make it safely to the ruck.

The National News was talking about a 22 car pileup on on I90, IIRC.

EarlyBird2007
01-28-2007, 13:12
Starlyte: Thanks so much for the wonderful job you did in organizing and pulling off the PA Ruck. It was great. I am in the process of posting my pictures. Thanks to everyone else who helped as well.

Can't wait for March 25.:sun

For those of you who are interested in following Long Hunter (Col. Brad Smith)'s hike, here is a link to his journal on the website of one of his sponsors, Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, an outfitter with 12 stores on the east coast. http://www.brmsstore.com/blogs/brad/

Sly
01-28-2007, 13:15
I was wondering when reports would start coming in. How was the weather?

EarlyBird2007
01-28-2007, 13:21
I was wondering when reports would start coming in. How was the weather?

Low of maybe 20 Fri. night. High of @ 38 on Sat. @ 28 this morning. A few flakes of snow, that's all. Pretty close to ideal for late Jan. I slept outside without a tent in a 15 deg. bag with my fleeces on. I was toasty.

Hangman
01-28-2007, 14:18
Pa. ruck was great thanks to all!! It was 15 degrees on my gage at camp friday night. nice hike up poole steeple sat am. Not sure temp. sat night My ride was leaving sat at 5pm so had to leave then too. I was hanging in my hammock and was sung as a bug in a rug. You can read my trip report at the hammockforums.net for any hangers interested in the setup i used. thanks to Marsha and mathrew and all that were in kitchen that food was the best!!! Handlebar,big red,jollies,bag of tricks, and so many others thanks for sharing you experiences.

Ridge Rat
01-28-2007, 16:58
Had a great time over the weekend. Nice to finally meet the faces behind the names. Friday night was cold 14 degrees on thermometer by fire when I went to bed at 1 am had 20degree bag with liner, actually sweat all night. I was worried I would be miserable. Nice night Sat. I learned more this weekend from talking with everyone then I have with the little bit of research done before. Thanks Starlyte for all you did for a great meals, and everyone else whom contributed.

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:02
we now go live to our presentation of "ruck day la pa " hostle. and wheather. perfect minty freashness!

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:07
my tank driver. panzer 1 . and panzers long long time best buddy and campin partner, rich on his first ruck type ruck.rich did his part in that he saw the good in our community and will return for more im sure. way to indoctrinate panzer1!

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:14
please take a moment to think about the importance of teaching the AT ways to all who would learn. for the sake of spreading good cheer at first. and to ensure and buttress the foundations of hiking and spiritual health thru the great out doors.

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:22
.......a high proportion of new friends at this ruck. this is manifesto. her first ruck or AT event also. and wonderfoot, our queen, who delivered the new soul to us. wonder is working at c9 and hiking and trail magicing alot of peoples asses off. this summer id like to see trail magic become a popular new social activity. and manifesto has to caladonia under her belt and will be going for it all next year. we all know trail women are two points and trail men are one. so wonder bringing in a woman to the fold is real special. in a cave man thinking sort of matthewskiesk way. yes, no?

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:24
yo, those pics are wacked!

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:30
starlytes cake was super yummy and the goat retold his now famouse bagpipes,guns and pcpguy hitchhiking story again. the goat is one of those friends that you never get enough of. marsha starlytes one friend i never get enough hugs from. and i get alot. marsha worked the hardest and deserves nothing. nothing short of a groupe hugcast.

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:42
stonewall(not february ) a hikers hiker. and the nicest cat. and of course, just back from filming his new film,"one fine day in baxter state park" directed by don martin of mad magazine fame. its the story drunk love turned rescue on baxter. jester .way to funny with storys till rib damage.

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:47
of all the people i met this year in the community of hikerdom,other that restless and the only larryish wanderer, i think gary here and travelin jack and me might become close.so "so wayish in there cool are they" master yoda.

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:52
the usual suspects were up to no good." bat man?" " this is commishiner goden speaking, you had better get down here right away. it seems BAG OF TRICKS is up to his old tricks."" and you had beter bring the boy wonder"

mweinstone
01-28-2007, 18:56
starlytes dashboard.

more later. brownwater bath overdue.double wash gear. reload. winter warmer. target , doyal.must allow butt cells to reinflate after long car ride and rock furniture factory tour weekend!

bfitz
01-29-2007, 02:11
I think Panzer thought I was gonna run over his tent while thrashing about in my car. I wouldn't have, Panzer, swear!

bfitz
01-29-2007, 02:12
Who has the Minnesota Smith pics?

bfitz
01-29-2007, 02:13
Weather Carrot makes good morning maniac music.

mweinstone
01-29-2007, 10:39
dear minnesota smith. you are going to witness some pics of yourself you my not like. they are naked shots of you with only a tee and and an eye patch. please dont be offended. on the contrary, we built an effagy of you cause we love you. you were at the campfire longer than all of us. you hung around when others layed down. you carried your staff and wore your crown of thorns well. in the end, we all took pics with you. you were a large part of our ruck and were truly loved. remember this when the pics go public. please. your best hikin partner, and friend, matthewski.

mweinstone
01-29-2007, 10:54
donna,stitches,ron,panzer(poseing as a pot head) marsha and i forget guy.
me , rock dancer, laces and pi, laces and pi are conjoined.

mweinstone
01-29-2007, 11:00
first, here is panzer presenting donna our ilustrious and wonderful and sweet smelling(i kissed het on top of her head and she smells good!) host with her new eyes freash back from the ocularist.( she waned new eyes for ruck).
next, eyes installed and working fine! great gift panzer.

mweinstone
01-29-2007, 11:05
me giving rock dancer an eskimo ear hug with my nose and wheather carrot comming over for one.

StarLyte
01-29-2007, 11:10
Hello everyone-

I'd like to say hello to the many Whiteblazers that were at the PA Ruck - I couldn't believe it! It was so nice to meet you all.

I regret that I didn't have more time to take pictures, but I have posted many.

So many of you helped in various ways to make the PA Ruck....thank you!

PA Ruck photos (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums.php)

I am uploading pictures on Whiteblaze too.

See you soon.

StarLyte

mweinstone
01-29-2007, 11:13
stonewall,gary,tricks,manefesto,wonder,and jester accepting the early bird award sun morn. and matthewski asks,"why did you bring wood?"

StarLyte
01-29-2007, 11:21
Great photos Matthewski!

We didn't know about the wood until Friday when the ranger told us we could have all we wanted.

Thanks to you that brought wood :rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
01-29-2007, 14:11
dear minnesota smith. you are going to witness some pics of yourself you my not like. they are naked shots of you with only a tee and and an eye patch. please dont be offended. on the contrary, we built an effagy of you cause we love you. you were at the campfire longer than all of us. you hung around when others layed down. you carried your staff and wore your crown of thorns well. in the end, we all took pics with you. you were a large part of our ruck and were truly loved. remember this when the pics go public. please. your best hikin partner, and friend, matthewski.

This is going to get posted on www.funwithphotoshop.com/advancedmischief (http://www.funwithphotoshop.com/advancedmischief), no doubt...;)

mweinstone
01-30-2007, 10:15
two good vibe thaughts to throw at yall this morn. ya know how someone says somthing and for the rest of your life there are trigers that cause you to remember? well, ms exsplained to a guy once that what his weird friend mattewski was doing by wakeing up and slamming water like it was a dessert island, was called cameling up. now when i drink my first drink in the morning, i think of ms's words and drink a lot more. so in fact ms may have added years to my life by instilling this healthy practice in me. in my head i hear over and over," cameling up, cameling up, cameling up,..."

having wonder as a friend increases the odds of meeting women who are cool like her. and as a secondary benifit , she wards off evil .

mweinstone
01-30-2007, 10:19
their we have it. i spelled my name wrong. i allways knew but doubted this day would come. ya know what this means folks. that the very fabric of the time space continium is unraveling. goodby all.

Wonder
01-30-2007, 10:56
two good vibe thaughts to throw at yall this morn. ya know how someone says somthing and for the rest of your life there are trigers that cause you to remember? well, ms exsplained to a guy once that what his weird friend mattewski was doing by wakeing up and slamming water like it was a dessert island, was called cameling up. now when i drink my first drink in the morning, i think of ms's words and drink a lot more. so in fact ms may have added years to my life by instilling this healthy practice in me. in my head i hear over and over," cameling up, cameling up, cameling up,..."

having wonder as a friend increases the odds of meeting women who are cool like her. and as a secondary benifit , she wards off evil .

Aparently only for other people.......'tis my lot in life.....do what ye will, an' harm none.
Dam.....I need me as a friend! Oh, and don't count on too many women....Manifesto is one of maybe 2 women that I hang out with. Let me see if I can bring along my other friend next time.....power of 3!!!

TOW
01-30-2007, 11:18
Hello everyone-

I'd like to say hello to the many Whiteblazers that were at the PA Ruck - I couldn't believe it! It was so nice to meet you all.

I regret that I didn't have more time to take pictures, but I have posted many.

So many of you helped in various ways to make the PA Ruck....thank you!

PA Ruck photos (http://gallery.backcountry.net/albums.php)

I am uploading pictures on Whiteblaze too.

See you soon.

StarLyte
looks like you guys had a grand time, ready for another one marsha?

Panzer1
01-30-2007, 14:58
I think Panzer thought I was gonna run over his tent while thrashing about in my car. I wouldn't have, Panzer, swear!

I wasn't really too worried about it. I don't know if you noticed but before I got into my tent that night, I chocked your front tire with a big rock, just in case. But when you started your car about 6 inches away from my head,:D I thought it was time to get up and move the tent a bit over to the side. No problem, I had to get up to p anyhow. It's easy to move a free standing tent, just grab the ground cloth and drag. Cheers

Panzer

bfitz
01-30-2007, 15:09
Yeah, the rock was the tip-off. I didn't notice that until the next mornin and wondered how I managed to pull right up to that rock without hitting it. Then figured it must have been placed there afterwards, and slowly realization dawned. Imagine the headlines if it had actually happened...and the whiteblaze thread that would follow...!!!

StarLyte
01-30-2007, 15:38
Yeah, the rock was the tip-off. I didn't notice that until the next mornin and wondered how I managed to pull right up to that rock without hitting it. Then figured it must have been placed there afterwards, and slowly realization dawned. Imagine the headlines if it had actually happened...and the whiteblaze thread that would follow...!!!

Other alternative was sleeping in my cabin.

My door is always unlocked for hiker friends.

I told everyone this.

bfitz
01-30-2007, 16:22
Yeah, I was too lazy. My car is very comfortable if you know how to sleep in it right.

the goat
01-31-2007, 00:37
Some of my favorite nightmares are inspired by such lullabies

some of panzer's too!:D

mweinstone
01-31-2007, 09:27
tiz a beautiful morn. lets all miniturize ourselves and jump into lonewolfs beard for a ride shall we? wheew! that was a big jump into this hairy beard children! now, lets see where the wolf goes today...wait....were moving,................aw.....the dollar store?...........common wolf,....take us on a hike. our miniturization only lasts till sundown when we all turn to pumpkins. how bout showin us where ya keep the shine?.........

this message brought to you by the matthew weinstone corporation. we blather when other companys just talk.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2007, 09:31
common wolf,....take us on a hike. our miniturization only lasts till sundown when we all turn to pumpkins. how bout showin us where ya keep the shine?.........

could never do that!:cool: but i can take you and the kids on a local meth lab tour and to the dollar store where a lot of the ingredients can be purchased.

bfitz
01-31-2007, 12:39
Stop by the outfitters for the coleman fuel and poalr pure. I wanna get some sunglasses and raingear, too (lone wolf drools). Can that stuff be miniaturized?

the goat
01-31-2007, 13:06
i've got dibs on the first drop of shine that falls into the beard!

bfitz
01-31-2007, 13:51
Yeah, right! Well I've got the mini-****. Care to negotiate?

the goat
01-31-2007, 16:17
Yeah, right! Well I've got the mini-****. Care to negotiate?

puff-puff, give; sip-sip, give. it's a deal.

Jester2000
01-31-2007, 19:12
Are you Vinnie Boberinos going to let this thread die already, or what?

Hepcatt
01-31-2007, 19:39
Here is a link to photos I took at the PA Ruck

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/Raggs98/PA%20Ruck%2007/

I still have a few more and will be adding them soon.

Ron

Fannypack
01-31-2007, 19:52
Are you Vinnie Boberinos going to let this thread die already, or what?
Jester, we need some of your witty comments to steer this thread in the "right" (not conservative) direction... can u do it????

mweinstone
01-31-2007, 20:33
ill try although not to fill jestys place, more to drunken blab really.

a thaught by matthewski: one thing about bein an idiot. your worst pictures look normal. i mean i really look crazy . well, at least im comfy.look at me! im hidious....sheild the children......i actually forgot to wear shorts or pants and just went to ruck in my underwear. anybody else this weirdly dumby, cool like me? just a thaught. we now return you to waiting for jester.

mweinstone
01-31-2007, 20:34
did anybody else notice this oversight?

Lone Wolf
01-31-2007, 20:41
ill try although not to fill jestys place, more to drunken blab really.

a thaught by matthewski: one thing about bein an idiot. your worst pictures look normal. i mean i really look crazy . well, at least im comfy.look at me! im hidious....sheild the children......i actually forgot to wear shorts or pants and just went to ruck in my underwear. anybody else this weirdly dumby, cool like me? just a thaught. we now return you to waiting for jester.

yuo aer a baeuiftul yuong man:)

StarLyte
01-31-2007, 20:44
looks like you guys had a grand time, ready for another one marsha?

OW I only carry out half of what I plan because I plan too darn much.

I construct a long itinerary for myself for the year, then I merge it with many things.

The result is a road trip extravaganza, hiker events, trail magic, hiker feeds, hiking.

It's great when all of the above happens AND I have other riders that share the costs, stay nights at hostels, eat cheaply. Makes for good sleeping.

See you soon.

Jester2000
01-31-2007, 20:54
just went to ruck in my underwear. . .

I've seen him ruck in his underwear. Seems he couldn't get the cat hole dug fast enough. . .

Fannypack
01-31-2007, 21:04
I've seen him ruck in his underwear. Seems he couldn't get the cat hole dug fast enough. . .
toooooooooooooo much info

Wonder
01-31-2007, 22:25
I'm never shocked by anything that Matthewski is wearing.......he looks the same at ruck as he does riding his bike around Philly! I love him for it!
Me, I went into my mothers work(a rehab hospital) in my "Wonder Costume" and notived the sympathic looks towards my mother.

bfitz
01-31-2007, 22:47
Bo-bo-bo, bo-bo-berino, bo-bo-bo, bo-bo-berino, bober-ee-ee-no....

....or how about Mathewski Blatherino?

mweinstone
02-02-2007, 09:15
soon i will take over the world. today theres mold to kill.

Panzer1
02-04-2007, 19:50
Take your pick:
1) camping at Pine Grove Furnace park tonight where the wind chill is going to be -13
2) sleeping at home in a warm bed with a hot wife...

Panzer

Wonder
02-05-2007, 01:01
A hot wife would keep you mighty warm just about anywhere!

tiamalle
02-05-2007, 01:28
A hot wife would keep you mighty warm just about anywhere!( years I drove a tractor /trailor into Picacho & Pinto Bros at the market in the city of Brotherly love (ha-ha-ha) and with all the other bull***t there,what to heck is the secret to those philly sandwiches there by the Eagles Stadum sold off the back of that trailor.I weight 160 lb when I first started going up there????????? I don't know what to heck happened.And I have tried everything to make a philly steak and cheese like that w/onions and it still taste like sh** compared to theirs.
Yea,I weigh 275 now and those sandwiches contributiated to it.;) See ya St Patty with the family.PS bring you and mwienski a pinch of home made snuff to boot,Ron :p

Panzer1
02-05-2007, 02:13
I just had a philly cheese steak for dinner tonight and it was one of the best I ever had. From Trevose Pizza just outside Philly. Others may be as good but none are better.

Panzer

1Pint
02-05-2007, 10:23
Take your pick:
1) camping at Pine Grove Furnace park tonight where the wind chill is going to be -13
2) sleeping at home in a warm bed with a hot wife...

Panzer

You might want to specify who's wife? Jus' sayin'

Wonder
02-05-2007, 10:59
( years I drove a tractor /trailor into Picacho & Pinto Bros at the market in the city of Brotherly love (ha-ha-ha) and with all the other bull***t there,what to heck is the secret to those philly sandwiches there by the Eagles Stadum sold off the back of that trailor.I weight 160 lb when I first started going up there????????? I don't know what to heck happened.And I have tried everything to make a philly steak and cheese like that w/onions and it still taste like sh** compared to theirs.
Yea,I weigh 275 now and those sandwiches contributiated to it.;) See ya St Patty with the family.PS bring you and mwienski a pinch of home made snuff to boot,Ron :p

I wish that I could offer you one of those fine philly steaks there too! Problem is that the secret is all in the roll......just can't get them there!
Let me see what magic my mother can work....... she managed to provide steaks for 12 thankful hikers at traildays with use of our vacuum sealer!
Look forward to seeing you again Ron! Just a few weeks now before I hike into franklin!

EarlyBird2007
02-05-2007, 19:40
Rucksters:

I thought you might enjoy Long Hunter's journal entry that mentions the Ruck (though he calls it an ALDHA gathering).

Brad Smith’s Appalachian Trail Journal, 25-28 Jan 07

Bernheisel Bridge, Pennsylvania to Route 233, Pennsylvania

53 Miles (13 miles a day)

<O:p</O:p

“He receives comfort like cold porridge.”

Shakespeare, The Tempest, Part II, i, 10

<O:p</O:p
Hiking across the Cumberland Valley supposedly is the easiest part of the entire Appalachian Trail. It traverses the “Great Valley” which extends from Central New York through Pennsylvania and Virginia into Tennessee. The valley floor is broad, open, and undulating. In Pennsylvania, the Appalachian Trail crosses a narrow 12 mile section of the valley and is a welcome sight to bone weary hikers. So my first day was extremely easy. I reached Boiling Springs in what was for me record time and had a pleasant visit with the staff of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Office of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. I had to continue on to Alex Kennedy Shelter, because the hostel in Boiling Springs (advertised in hiker literature) had closed a year earlier. This is was first indication that the easy part of the trip was over.
I went to sleep with coyotes howling nearby and awoke the next morning to one of them yelping in pain. The animal was alarmingly close. Then there was silence. I wondered if the animal had been mangled in a steel trap, but my attention was quickly diverted back to something more immediate. Sweaty boots from the day before had frozen solid overnight. (I had forgotten one the basic rules of winter camping – put boots inside sleeping bags.) They needed to be banged on the ground and bent by hand before my feet could slide into the leather ice cubes. Even though I paced back and forth for 30 minutes, I still could not regain feeling in my feet. The only thing to do was to start hiking, and soon I was once again toasty warm all over.
I started listening to a book on tape entitled, Woodsong, by Gary Paulsen. He began by talking about wolves in Minnesota when I noticed a set of fresh coyote tracks on the newly fallen snow. Then a second set of tracks appeared as I continued onward. At the same time, the tape began providing graphic details of wolves attacking a doe. Two wolves held their prey by the snout while two others tore out entrails from the rear. I became uneasy as the author masterfully drew a realistic picture of the violence. As he explained how this eyewitness experience forever changed his life, I began to wonder if I was going to have a life changing experience of my own. I looked down and there were three sets of fresh coyote tracks. I started to periodically glance back over my shoulder. My imagination grew more active as the tape rolled on. The author talked about the effects of temperatures 30 degrees or more below zero, and I felt fortunate to contend with a measly 10 degrees in southern Pennsylvania. By the end of that second day, I had reached James Frye (Tagg Run) Shelters and was sipping scotch, munching on hors d’oeuvres (dry roasted peanuts and beef jerky), and listening to the uplifting conclusion to Woodsong. (My life seemed so easy compared to the author overcoming tremendous adversities of the Iditarod – a 1,180 mile, 17-day dogsled race across Alaska.) Dinner that night came on a plate and even included other little luxuries like a napkin and plastic fork. Because I remembered to place my boots, water bottles, and fresh change of clothes inside my sleeping bag, everything was pre-heated and ready for the eight degree temperature the next morning.
The third day was a lot of fun. By mid-morning I had come across hikers attending an Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association (ALDHA) conference at the Ironmaster’s Mansion in Pine Grove Furnace State Park. These were the first people I had seen in two days, so we talked a while. Jim Foster (aka “Early Bird”), whom I met two weeks earlier on the trail, was in the group. He was just beginning to tell the others about my American Patriot Scholarship fundraiser when our paths crossed. They invited me to lunch at their meeting site and I looked forward to the company. When I got there, the manager, Donna Rozycki, rolled out the red carpet. I learned the stately brick English Tudor home was built in 1829 for the Ironmaster of the Pine Grove Furnace, and it currently serves as an American Youth Hostel. Donna allowed me to unpack wet gear and spread it out to dry. Camaraderie develops quickly among hikers. I soon found three other people at the conference who I had met on the trail the previous summer in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. After a lunch, Jim Foster offered to support a “slack pack” that afternoon by retrieving me at dusk and returning to the hostel for ALDHA activities. (A “slack pack” is when a hiker leaves his gear with someone who makes arrangements to reunite them at some point in the future.) Without 65 pounds on my back, I moved quickly up the gentle, eight mile climb to Shippensburg Road where Jim met me with his automobile. We returned to the hostel where a huge pot luck dinner awaited us. That evening, we attended an Appalachian Trail Conservancy briefing about trail maintenance which was followed by a spectacular slide show about the Continental Divide Trail. By dawn the next morning, Jim had returned me to Shippensburg Road where the cold, 10 degree reality of the trail welcomed me back.
Day 4 was uneventful in comparison. I stayed well ahead of schedule and arrived at my stop point before dark. Colonel Bob Broyles, the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Cumberland Chapter President, and his wife Sally, drove from their home in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and picked me up at the intersection of the Appalachian Trail and Route 233. We drove back to my car at Scott Farm on Bernheisel Bridge Road. Dedicated support from great citizens like Bob Broyles ultimately makes this fundraising hike possible, and something for which I will always be grateful. The sons and daughters of American military personnel who die while in active service to our country deserve the best.
Resolute! Long Hunter

StarLyte
02-05-2007, 20:25
Could it have been the ALDHA T-shirt I was wearing? Thanks for the plug Long Hunter! And thanks for the posting this, Jim.

When Long Hunter arrived at the hostel he was greeted by several of us who greet hikers coming in off the Trail as if they are celebrities. We WANT that to happen at a Ruck :D

I told Long Hunter it was his lucky day to be a hiker. He agreed. He was overwhelmed by hikers, food, kindness, warmth.

Long Hunter experienced REAL Trail magic. It was a pleasure meeting him, and thanks to you Jim for slacking him and making him feel special. He really deserved it.