PDA

View Full Version : Other Good Hikes In PA

adh24
10-26-2006, 10:41
I might have time to get out and do some more hiking in about two weeks with a buddy from college. I've promised my wife that we would do any AT hiking together. So since she won't be joining us I'm looking for a good two to three day hike of sorts in the the eastern part of PA. Any good suggestions?

I've been on the KTA site any one here have experience on some of these other trails?

Toolshed
10-26-2006, 11:02
My first 10 years of formative addictive hiking were on the Susquehannock, Black Forest, West Rim, Loyalsock, and Old Loggers Path Trails. Having done them all and most of them 3-4 times, I would offer this up -
If you are looking for pleasant easier walking and very nice trails go with the Susquehannock - There are plenty of intersections to make shorter trips with cars spotting.

Looking for more rugged trails and scenic vistas - The Black Forest Trail offers this plus the ability to combine with many local trails to do a loop and avoid spotting cars.

The West Rim is linear and follows the Pine Creek Gorge along with all of it's tribs- The northern half offers many scenic views (more than the southern half) You can contact Chuck Dillon at Pine Creek outfitters in Ansonia 570-724-3003 for a shuttle ride/car spot for around $30-$35.

The OLP and Loyalsock are more difficult to do with 1 vehicle (however, There are some spots on both that you can loop around with a road walk) and are probably best suited for spotting cars.

All of these trails offer remoteness, tranquility, lack of heavy foot traffic and dark nights with little light pollution. A backpacker's dream!!!

beware though - Deer hunting starts soon and PA is a deerhunting mecca - you should always wear blaze orange.

If you are looking for something a bit more south and East, there is always the Thunderswamp trail - I can give you info on that as well. PM me.
Rick

gtothero
10-26-2006, 12:14
The Mid State Trail is another good choice. I particularly like the sections north of Woolrich, and Rothrock State Forest south of State College.
Bear season is Nov. 20-22. Dear season is Nov. 27-Dec. 9. It is a good idea to avoid hiking on those days.

c.coyle
10-26-2006, 14:45
I agree with all of the above. I'd also recommend the Laurel Highlands Trail in southwest Pa. It's a 70 mile linear trail running from Johnstown to Ohiopyle. Lots of road crossings, shelters with fireplaces, and basically ridge walking except at the ends.

Susquehannock and Black Forest are two of my favorites.

Pokey2006
10-26-2006, 16:25
I know you said eastern PA, but if you're willing to head out west a little, the first bit of the AT in PA is great. Cleanest shelters on the trail, and some of the best hiking on the AT in PA. But it might be a bit of a drive for you.

If you're in eastern PA, what about hiking in NJ? The trail there was surprisingly nice.

Cheesewhiz
10-26-2006, 18:14
The Old loggers path is a great 2-3 day trip with one car it is a 27 mile loop and you can take a side trail to add a few miles. It is just north of Williamsport. if you have any questions please ask!

Toolshed
10-26-2006, 19:25
I know you said eastern PA, but if you're willing to head out west a little, the first bit of the AT in PA is great. Cleanest shelters on the trail, and some of the best hiking on the AT in PA. But it might be a bit of a drive for you.

If you're in eastern PA, what about hiking in NJ? The trail there was surprisingly nice.
Pokey, I think he said he was saving the AT for hiking with his wife. Hence other options for himself. Well that'll be one guy on the AT that def won't be oinkblazing!!!! :D

Toolshed
10-26-2006, 19:26
sorry, I jjust reread my post - that should read "Pinkblazing" No offense meant, but the 2 keys are side by side!!!:o

Pokey2006
10-27-2006, 01:41
Ah, I did misread that. My apologizies.

Ya, funny funny. Ha ha.

adh24
10-27-2006, 08:16
Pokey, I think he said he was saving the AT for hiking with his wife. Hence other options for himself. Well that'll be one guy on the AT that def won't be oinkblazing!!!! :D

LOL!!! That's pretty funny. More Cushion for the push'n. Right.

d2m
10-27-2006, 12:27
how about the horseshoe trail . it's about 200 miles from valleyforge to the at near fort indiantown gap. just turn right and in a couple more days you will be in port clinton. upon reaching pc go to the hotel and eat the giagantic burger that the have there .

jlb2012
10-27-2006, 12:36
not that I hike up there but Jeff Mitchell (jmitch from TT) has a couple books that look good: _Hiking the Endless Mountains: Exploring the Wilderness of Northeast Pennsylvania_ and _Backpacking Pennsylvania_ note however all I did was read the reviews in amazon.com

Thor
10-27-2006, 12:42
I object to the use of the word 'other' in the subject line. It implies that the AT in PA is a good hike, a blatant falsehood! ;)

c.coyle
10-27-2006, 12:46
how about the horseshoe trail . it's about 200 miles from valleyforge to the at near fort indiantown gap. just turn right and in a couple more days you will be in port clinton. upon reaching pc go to the hotel and eat the giagantic burger that the have there .

Unfortunately, all but the northernmost section of the HST is under heavy pressure from development. In Lancaster County, Lebanon County, and Dauphin County south of Manada Gap, there are short sections left that are still pleasant, but, overall, the HST in these counties is shot.

The northernmost 12 or so miles of the HST, from Manada Gap to the intersection with the AT is still very remote, and a very nice hike.

And you are correct. Turn right when you hit the AT, and you'll end up at the P.C. Hotel.

adh24
10-30-2006, 10:32
So I was talking to my buddy about the up coming hike and we started throwing around ideas of going up to the Catskills. It's only a little over three hours by car. I started poking around the Internet and can't seem to find a good overall map of the trail systems. Trying to find a good 20 mile loop.

They don't seam to have a good park web site system like in PA with the DCNR web sites were you can get PDF's of all the maps of all the parks with all the trails. Anyone know of a good Internet source or have any suggestions. Didn't want to start a new thread so kept it here.

LIhikers
10-31-2006, 08:14
You can purchase maps for the Catskill region from the NY/NJ Trail conference. www.nynjtc.org/pubs/maps/index.html (http://www.nynjtc.org/pubs/maps/index.html) They'll show you were to hike and where you can park.

Toolshed
10-31-2006, 11:13
There is also the catskill 3500 club (http://www.catskill-3500-club.org/) and for specific info there is the catskill 3500 club yahoo group. In addition, you can visit ADK High Peaks Forum (http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/) and Views From The Top (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/)
You will find plenty of folks on thiose sites with Cats info that can also provide input.

adh24
10-31-2006, 12:15
Yeah I just found those sites. When I get a free minute here at work will need to check them out. Also going to take a trip to REI and see what maps they have to offer.