PDA

View Full Version : AT Georgia Section on Google Earth

Mr. Parkay
10-26-2006, 19:11
Hey Guys,

I have just completed a series of overlays and Data Points for the Georgia Section of the Appalachian Trail using Google Earth. The data points have information and pictures for many of the shelters and resupply points for this section. Also, I have tried to show the location of some of the Mountains and gaps, but I only made it to Neels Gap since it was taking a long time to enter the data. This is just a "rough draft" of the project, so the data is by no means 100% accurate or complete, but with some more work this could be a useful tool for someone planning a thru-hike or a shorter hike in the area.

I posted the files on the Google Keyhole Community forum here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=EarthNature&Number=659760&Searchpage=1&Main=659760&Words=appalachian&topic=&Search=true#Post659760
Please note that two files need to be downloaded (in the correct order)... I have an explanation for this in my keyhole post.

Also, for anyone who is not familiar with Google Earth, it is an interactive mapping software provided by Google for free. It's a great program but the downside is that you will need a fast computer and fast internet connection to use it.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Thanks!

-- Mr. Parkay

10-27-2006, 08:11
That was good. I can see alot of potential and even more work.

adh24
10-27-2006, 08:18
That is some awesome work. Really cool. KEEP IT UP!!!:banana

attroll
10-27-2006, 12:25
That is very cool. I had already started doing the same thing here in Maine. I have gotten a few areas done but I still have a long ways to go.

SGT Rock
10-27-2006, 12:31
Do you take requests? I want a google earth of the BMT!

cannonball
10-27-2006, 12:44
VERY nice.

Would you be the same Parkay that started from Spinger last year with Gravity?

Dances with Mice
10-27-2006, 13:03
Very cool. You can zoom in and clearly see the Springer shelter & especially the overflow camping area immediately to its west. Hawk Mtn shelter is also visible. Some of the routing between 3 Forks & Hawk is a little off, the route shown is close to the 'old' AT before relo, but that's nothing major. Very nice job.

Phreak
10-27-2006, 13:40
Simply awesome!

drdewrag
10-27-2006, 13:56
Great job, Chris! Thanks for sharing...

DipDog
10-27-2006, 15:07
As a teacher I use Google Earth all the time! I would love to receive any updates as you finish.

Mr. Parkay
10-27-2006, 16:10
Hey, I'm glad this has been useful/interesting for you guys. I have responses to some of your posts:

attrol: Its good to hear that you're working on the Maine section! I would definitely like to check out your work whenever you're ready. Possibly we could share ideas or work together to some extent. It would be cool to have points of interest/resupply for the entire AT on google earth... Although I suspect that the data would have to spread out over several data files to prevent it from overwhelming your computer.

Sgt Rock: I agree. I would like to have the Benton Mackaye Trail in Google Earth too... but as far as I know no one has imported the BMT into GE yet. I looked around on the internet for some GPS coordinates in .gpx format but I couldnt find anything. If anyone has BMT GPS coordinates please let me know....then I'll see If I can transform them into a google earth file.

Cannonball: Yes, I'm the very same Parkay who started with Gravity on March 11th of this year. Hiked with Gravity until Hiawassee. Good times!

Dances with Mice: Yeah, I totally agree with you about the AT routing... the Blue AT center line is pretty close but not exact. There are a few places where you can clearly see that it's a little off. I have seen one or two other AT Centerlines incorporated into GE... when I have time I may check to see if they are more accurate. I would like to form my own AT center-line by re-walking some of the AT again with a GPS Device to record coordinates... although I don't currently have the funds to buy a GPS Device... I would especially like to do this for the Approach Trail, which does not currently show up in Google Earth.

I'm going to be in Georgia camping and Hiking around the AT for all of next week. This trip doesn't really have anything to do with google earth.... but since I'll be there anyway I'm going to try to take pictures gather various other information to improve the accuracy of the Google Earth file. In Particular I want to figure out the coordinates of everthing in Hiawassee so that i can put the Place markers in the right places.

By the way... when I update the file I'll do so in the Keyhole forum... but I'll post something here if I make any major changes.

Mr. Parkay

Mr. Parkay
10-28-2006, 06:21
Hello Again,

I've just updated the Google Earth file one last time before I head off to Georgia for a week.

In this version I've added the Approach Trail and the first part of the Benton Mackaye Trail. I'll try to finish the Benton Mackaye Trail when I get back home... but it's pretty time consuming so that may take a while. I've also added more & better placemarks around the Amicalola Falls area.

Thats it

--- Mr. Parkay

SGT Rock
10-28-2006, 10:05
You're the man!

cannonball
10-28-2006, 12:06
Parkay, I am a friend of Gravities here in Tallahassee. He has spoken of you fondly when relating his AT experience. He was glad to hear you had finished .
Don't know if you have been able to keep up with him so I will share this.
After leaving the Blueberry patch he got sicker and finally ended up coming home. He is now in school full time and working part time at the local outfitter.

Mr. Parkay
11-03-2006, 18:38
Hey Guys,

I finished plotting the Benton Mackaye Trail on Google Earth. It can be downloaded here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=EarthNature&Number=670580&Searchpage=1&Main=670580&Words=benton&topic=&Search=true#Post670580

It isn't entirely accurate, but its the best I can do at the moment. Definitely let me know if you can help to improve it's accuracy. By the way, you can convert the Google Earth data into other formats usings "GPS Babel", which is freely available. This may be useful if you want to transfer the trail coordinates to a GPS device... although I should stress that the data probably isn't very accurate, so keep that in mind.

The file contains lots of placemarks, which can be easily turned off if they get annoying.

-- Mr. Parkay

SGT Rock
11-04-2006, 00:32
Thank you! Absolutly OUTSTANDING!

attroll
11-04-2006, 15:31
Hey Guys,

I finished plotting the Benton Mackaye Trail on Google Earth. It can be downloaded here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=EarthNature&Number=670580&Searchpage=1&Main=670580&Words=benton&topic=&Search=true#Post670580

It isn't entirely accurate, but its the best I can do at the moment. Definitely let me know if you can help to improve it's accuracy. By the way, you can convert the Google Earth data into other formats usings "GPS Babel", which is freely available. This may be useful if you want to transfer the trail coordinates to a GPS device... although I should stress that the data probably isn't very accurate, so keep that in mind.

The file contains lots of placemarks, which can be easily turned off if they get annoying.

-- Mr. Parkay

Looking good.

Where are you getting the coordinates for the place marks? Are you just guessing at where they should be? The reason I am asking is because like I said I am working on the Maine section but I have only been using confirmed coordinates.

Mr. Parkay
11-04-2006, 20:43
Hello Attroll,

to get the coordinates for the BMT placemarks I used several methods:

First: I used a USGS Topo map overlay program that can be downloaded here: http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/03/best_topo_map_i.html

This plugin creates a topo overlay over the portion of the map you are looking at. These topo maps have the location of most Mountains, knobs, gaps etc., ... so I just put the placemarks in google according to where they are on the topo.

Second: For things like Road Crossings I just enabled Roads in the GE options and put in placemarks where they cross the trail.

Third: I used a couple of other maps as references to put in placemarks for some of the campsites etc.

Using this method, I suppose you could say that most of the placemarks are based on close approximations or educated guesses. Definitely none of the coordinates are confirmed in any way other than by checking their location against various maps and overlays. The BMT Placemarks are probably more accurate than my AT placemarks at the moment... but I should be updated my AT file pretty soon.

If anyone knows how I can get more accurate coordinates then definitely let me know. I would like to make this thing as accurate as possible.

--Mr. Parkay

attroll
11-05-2006, 02:16
Hello Attroll,

First: I used a USGS Topo map overlay program that can be downloaded here: http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/03/best_topo_map_i.html

This plugin creates a topo overlay over the portion of the map you are looking at. These topo maps have the location of most Mountains, knobs, gaps etc., ... so I just put the placemarks in google according to where they are on the topo.

Second: For things like Road Crossings I just enabled Roads in the GE options and put in placemarks where they cross the trail.

Third: I used a couple of other maps as references to put in placemarks for some of the campsites etc.

Using this method, I suppose you could say that most of the placemarks are based on close approximations or educated guesses. Definitely none of the coordinates are confirmed in any way other than by checking their location against various maps and overlays. The BMT Placemarks are probably more accurate than my AT placemarks at the moment... but I should be updated my AT file pretty soon.

If anyone knows how I can get more accurate coordinates then definitely let me know. I would like to make this thing as accurate as possible.

--Mr. Parkay

OK, I see now. I have been doing it the hard way. I have been using actual GPS coordinates.

Undershaft
11-05-2006, 11:40
Google Earth is a great way to achieve a new perspective on the mountains you hike. When hiking, you only see the surrounding terrain from the trail, which is quite limited. With G.E. you can see how all the mountains and rivers and towns relate to each other on a grander scale. At least that's how it is for me since I got a high speed connection and started using G.E. I've plotted all the major mountains, shelters, and points of interest on the AT in the Whites and southern Maine. Lots of fun to look at and play with while I'm planning my hike next year.

adh24
11-07-2006, 17:30
Hello Attroll,

--Mr. Parkay

When I downloaded the program it crashed my GE everytime I opened it.:(

rumbler
11-07-2006, 19:53
That's one of the coolest things I have seen in awhile!

Unfortunately it is making me think I need to learn to do something like this for work. :mad:

Shadow Walking
11-13-2006, 09:00
I just found a link that plots all of the shelters on the AT on Google Earth. I think this is a good addition. It just has the shelters, so if you combine it with the original one posted, it works really well.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/21124/an//page//vc/1