PDA

View Full Version : SOBO or NOBO

W6FO
10-26-2006, 19:58
I am still a few years off before doing a solo thru-hike but I am curious to answer this question.

Where should one begin?

In my case, I am thinking of a South-bound trip as I live in the shadows of Springer and it will be quicker, and easier, to get home. I just have to work out the logistics of getting to Baxter.

Hmm. I'm sure this topic comes up often so excuse the wasted bandwith used by my thinking aloud.

- JT

Pokey2006
10-26-2006, 20:08
I'll just say that it's fun to walk home. Probably easier to get to Baxter then to get home from Baxter.

But there are many other things to consider when making this decision. Do a search on this website, and you'll find plenty on the topic.

Phreak
10-26-2006, 20:45
I made the decision to SOBO in 2007 for your thoughts as well. I live 90 miles from Springer, so I like the idea of hiking 'home'. It'll also be easy to have my friends and family waiting at Springer. They wouldn't be able to make it to Baxter if I went NOBO.

And I like the thought of only a two hour car drive home once I finish my hike as opposed to a 2 day bus ride.

Just my $0.02.

TDale
10-26-2006, 21:40
to parahrase a quote I saw somewhere:

"I like walking south. It feels like it's downhill"

If I ever do the AT, it will be southbound.

Johnny Swank
10-26-2006, 21:44
There was a great thread on this a couple of days ago. I went SOBO b/c I live in NC and had section hiked most of the southern portion of the AT. There's more to it than that, but hiking home was pretty cool. So was the lack of crowds at the beginning.

Throw me a PM if you have any questions.

-JS

Marta
10-27-2006, 13:50
I'm just about in the middle of a SOBO hike. I will say this--there is a LOT of whining in the shelter registers from SOBOs (myself definitely included) about trying to find other hikers to hike with. A SOBO hike starts hard physically and stays hard for the first half, then becomes solitary and mentally hard for the second half. NOBO is definitely easier physically and mentally.

That said, SOBOs rule!

Cuffs
10-27-2006, 14:09
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18198

TJ aka Teej
10-27-2006, 15:16
I'm just about in the middle of a SOBO hike.

Where are you and what are the crowds like, Marta? Finding any service providers that are shutting down for the season yet? How are the water supplies?

Jack Tarlin
10-27-2006, 17:10
NOBO is easier physically?

I'm not so sure.

Yeah, you have to get Maine and New Hampshire out of the way right away, but then, you're essentially in coast mode for around 1400 miles. You miss winter conditions down south, you're done with the worst of the hot weather in Virginia, you miss the spring rainy season. Oh, and even in the worst of conditions, you're guaranteed a spot in a shelter for around 7/8 of your trip.

SOBO might be tougher mentally as you spend more time on your own and have less psychological support from having lots of other hikers around, but harder physically?

I'm not sure this is true. I suspect it's about the same.

Namaste
10-27-2006, 17:40
I'm not looking at what's easier southbound or northbound. I will be NOBO in 2010 (I hope) because although I've hiked Katahdin already I want to end my trip with that climb again and then I will stay at my cabin in Maine for some transition time before heading back to reality in New Jersey.

Marta
10-27-2006, 21:04
Where are you and what are the crowds like, Marta? Finding any service providers that are shutting down for the season yet? How are the water supplies?

I'm in Front Royal for the night. Heading in the SNP tomorrow morning.

Crowds? I can pretty much guarantee having shelters to myself at this point. There are a fair number of "Where is everyone?" and "Am I the only SOBO on the Trail?" entries in registers. That said, there is a steady trickle of SOBOs heading south, with a cluster in and around Harpers Ferry today.

Lots of providers have shut down. Most of the waysides and campgrounds in the SNP are shutting on the 29th. Two will be open into November, fortunately for me.

Water supplies have been great, thanks to this year's frequent rains. Most of the "intermittent" springs are flowing well.

I think there were 7 or 8 of us SOBOs at The Gathering. It was great!

Marta
10-27-2006, 21:10
NOBO is easier physically?

I'm not so sure.

Yeah, you have to get Maine and New Hampshire out of the way right away, but then, you're essentially in coast mode for around 1400 miles. You miss winter conditions down south, you're done with the worst of the hot weather in Virginia, you miss the spring rainy season. Oh, and even in the worst of conditions, you're guaranteed a spot in a shelter for around 7/8 of your trip.

SOBO might be tougher mentally as you spend more time on your own and have less psychological support from having lots of other hikers around, but harder physically?

I'm not sure this is true. I suspect it's about the same.

One of the big differences is that NOBOs who have made poor choices in gear and/or footwear can redo after 30 miles. SOBOs are stuck with their mistakes for more than 100 miles, including some fairly tough going, such as the Barren/Chairback bit.

I'm not so sure the slower of us SOBOs, such as myself, totally miss out on winter conditions down south. I may still be out there when the eagerest of the NOBOs are getting started...:rolleyes:

Marta/Five-Leaf

Johnny Swank
10-28-2006, 09:32
Marta - Hang in there! I was just about where you were at the same time on my SOBO. Finished 1/11, but took many zeros and several days off at Chrismas. You're probably going to catch some weather down south, especially likely in the Smokies, but nothing that you can't handle. I'd make sure to pack extra food for the Smokies and not plan on hitching to Gatlinburg. They close the road if it's icy, and the likelihood of catching a hitch is pretty slim if there's no cars!

Marta
11-01-2006, 06:44
Marta - Hang in there! I was just about where you were at the same time on my SOBO. Finished 1/11, but took many zeros and several days off at Chrismas. You're probably going to catch some weather down south, especially likely in the Smokies, but nothing that you can't handle. I'd make sure to pack extra food for the Smokies and not plan on hitching to Gatlinburg. They close the road if it's icy, and the likelihood of catching a hitch is pretty slim if there's no cars!

Thanks, JS. I am actually at home in Charlotte right now--my first home visit since I started 7/3. I'm planning to head back up to VA on Saturday. My biggest mission here at home (other than visiting with my sweetie and voting!--Charlotte has early voting at the library) is to winterize my gear. Other than getting the warmer stuff pulled together, my main challenge is spending the long dark hours. I need way more reading material and better light sources. It is really BORING to spend 14 hours huddled up in your sleeping bag every night, especially if you're old enough that you only need about 7 hours of sleep.

StillPond
11-01-2006, 08:51
i've never sobo'd but we did have a debate on the roller coaster, and it seems that the sobo's section of it is a bit more difficult.

what do ya think?

much love to all

berninbush
11-01-2006, 10:40
to parahrase a quote I saw somewhere:

"I like walking south. It feels like it's downhill"

If I ever do the AT, it will be southbound.

The quote is from Treebeard in "The Two Towers: Fellowship of the Ring."

I like walking South, too. :) Not that I'm planning a thru any time soon.

RITBlake
11-01-2006, 11:52
i've never sobo'd but we did have a debate on the roller coaster, and it seems that the sobo's section of it is a bit more difficult.

what do ya think?

much love to all

By the time we go to the 'roller coaster' it was kind of laughable in terms of being challenging hiking. It was a breeze.

StillPond
11-03-2006, 21:58
see you are leaving new england, which to me was fierce. we are leaving pen, and nj bluh.

roots and rocks didnt bother me that much, it did the boots though.

nj was swamppy, but "hilly" typ mts.

ny tripped me out, up,down,up,down,up,down

so i believe to the nobos the 'roller coaster' is bit more difficult.

you do remember the handi-cap sections of the trail in virginia?

so it was bubbles to you, followed by a walk in the park for 300 mi.

to us its a primer to whats to come.

i did enjoy them very much though.

much love to all