PDA

View Full Version : AWOL on the Appalachian Trail

attroll
10-26-2006, 21:28
This is one of the top two books I have read on someone’s thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. It came very close to one other book and the reason I chose this book was because it included some of AWOL’s own personal thoughts that he was thinking during his thru hike. To me that gave it a personal touch and put things into prospective. The one thing I think he should have included more of was posting the dates as to help put the whole thing into a timeframe. I had a hard time placing a mental timeframe when reading this. Others may not have a problem at all. That was my only thing that could have been improved on. He could have included some more of his personal thoughts but then I realized a lot of people do not want to read about some personal stuff but only want to read about the trail and the experiences on it. To me the worries and heartache and concerns a person is thinking about is also part of the trail experience too. I gave me ideas of some of the mental things I need to prepare for when I do my thru hike.

The reading was very down to earth and easy to keep up with. I liked the comments on the bottoms of the pages that explained the hiker slang and where he sometimes explained things about other hikers and locations and even what happen later on to hikers that he mentioned. I think these are called cliff notes. I know most of the hiker slang but for hikers that are thinking about thru hiking and do not know this stuff it will help them out a lot. The pictures where an added bonus and not bad for black and white either.

I am a very slow reader and sometimes when I start reading a book I will put it down for a month or two sometimes before I pick it back up again. This one I could not put down. I have a very short lunch break at work where I work and I would read this during my lunch break every day. I use to read the newspaper during my lunch break but once I started this book I did not read a newspaper again until I was done reading the book.

I would highly recommend this book as a good read. The one thing I would point out about this book to someone that is planning to thru hike the Appalachian Trail is that 95% or more of the hikers that thru hike the Appalachian Trail do not hike high mileage days like AWOL did. Other then that it was a great book and I highly recommend it.

PJ 2005
10-27-2006, 08:25
:confused:

highway
10-27-2006, 08:38
I also enjoyed reading it. It was a very good book, enlightening & entertaining, in my own county, no less.

Footslogger
10-27-2006, 08:47
Guess you could say that I had a vested interest in the book since I met AWOL (and his family) and even hiked some with him during my thru in 2003.

Although I could have never done the miles/day that AWOL did, I am able to relate to his accounts and the range of feelings and emotions he describes.

I like it because it is not a "how-to" book. Rather, it is an actual "account" of one hiker's experience.

Glad to own and have read the book (twice now) and even moreso to call AWOL my friend.

'Slogger

Blue Jay
10-27-2006, 17:16
Great book and a great guy. What I liked best was the inner dialogue. Most AT books talk about what the hiker does, AWOL also talked about the thought process that went along with it. I rank it up there with Model T Tates book, and that's saying a lot.

Butch Cassidy
10-27-2006, 20:04
One of the best books on thruhiking I have read, I recomend it highly. Butch

Jan LiteShoe
11-02-2006, 00:01
You are not alone in your opinion:
http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/10_06/10_25_06/book_minick.html (http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/10_06/10_25_06/book_minick.html)

Rain Man
11-02-2006, 13:50
You guys are gonna make me add this to my "must have" AT books!

Is this the same AWOL who hiked part (all?) of the trail in 04? I met an AWOL in Wesser, NC at the NOC when we picked up my daughter Grass there for a weekend in March 2004.

Rain:sunMan

Ewker
11-02-2006, 14:05
I have the book but haven't read it yet. Looking forward to reading it based on comments from this thread

Skyline
11-02-2006, 14:11
AWOL had a booth at Trail Days this year, where I bought his book and t-shirt. Add my name to those recommending the book, and he was an interesting guy to speak with.

Outlaw
11-02-2006, 14:55
I too just recently completed AWOL's book and thoroughly enjoyed every word he wrote. AWOL did such a fine job writing, that at times I felt like I was hiking right along side of him (although there is probably no more than a snowball's chance in hell that I could ever hike the amount of miles he did in a day!).

I liked the photos AWOL included, but would suggest that the print quality was somewhat lacking.

The use of footnotes were well used throughout the book. They were quite informative as well.

I would highly recommend this book to any long distance hiker or potential AT hiker. :sun

attroll
11-02-2006, 14:59
You guys are gonna make me add this to my "must have" AT books!

Is this the same AWOL who hiked part (all?) of the trail in 04? I met an AWOL in Wesser, NC at the NOC when we picked up my daughter Grass there for a weekend in March 2004.

No Rain Man this can not be the same AWOL because thsi one thru hiked in 2003.

Jan LiteShoe
11-02-2006, 19:27
I liked the photos AWOL included, but would suggest that the print quality was somewhat lacking.

Did you buy your book through Amazon?

The reason I ask is that I was picking AWOL's brain at the Gathering about book production stuff, and he mentioned that books from Amazon as their source were POD, or print-on-demand, and a lower quality. He wasn't happy with that version as much as the conventionally printed books he himself sold.

Just as an aside, self-publishing trail books is a money-losing business normally; generally folks do it for other reasons than financial success. Amazon and retailers take the majority cut of the cover price. Another self-published author friend told me that through Amazon's arrangement, he had to ship the book, and his overall profit was $2 a book. That would take alot of $2 book sales to recoup a $3-6,000 investment! (Most self-published trail books sell in the "under 1,000" range.

What I learned is that if you have a chance to buy the book directly from the author, not only do you get to make that contact and conversation, but more of your book purchase goes directly to the one who actually wrote the book.

I'm not dissing the marketing systems of Amazon or retail bookstores/outfitters, etc - but sometimes knowing a little bit about how these things work can help you make an informed decision. ;)

I've alerted AWOL about this thread; maybe he'll choose to sign up and weigh in.

Awol2003
11-02-2006, 21:45
Rain Man: My thru-hike was in ’03. In ’04 I hiked from Erwin to Damascus, so I don’t think we met.

Speed: I don’t think of myself as a fast hiker. Most of the young’uns are faster, and my 146 days on the trail is not far off the norm. I did start fast and didn’t have a zero until Hot Springs. In the end I had 18 zeroes, due mostly to injuries and family visits. I walked 43 days over 20 miles, 42 days 15-20, but my longest day was only 30.

Print Quality: I just received the second printing of my book, and the inside pictures have improved resolution, and they are framed and captioned. eArThworm helped me to rid the book of typos. The new book is 20 pages longer because I increased the font size. For the moment, the new book is only available from www.AWOLontheTrail.com (http://www.awolonthetrail.com/), but I’m not trying to undermine other retailers. My priority is to get the new copy to retailers (like Amazon) as quickly as possible.

Awol

WhoAh
11-25-2006, 01:09
I read AWOL's book when it first came out earlier in the year. I rank this one high up in the list of must reads. And I purchased mine directly from David.

And you get the nifty little bookmark which I have shown to many individuals that don't have a clue where the Trail is.

Wanderingson
11-25-2006, 02:18
I'm reading AWOL on the AT right now. Well written and great read. I've read a few exerpts to my wife and she is ready for me to finish so she can read it as well.

AWOL--Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insight in a language we can appreciate.

Jan LiteShoe
12-15-2007, 17:12
Just thought I'd share an interesting ranking - a familiar trail book has into broken Amazon's Top 25 ranking, in the very broad category of Adventure.

Look who is up there with Jon Krakauer, Bill Bryson and the Road Atlas - no mean feat for a small publisher: http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&attid=0.1&disp=vah&view=att&th=116df5de0ebe918e

Congratulations, AWOL!
:sun

Doughnut
12-15-2007, 17:39
I've read it twice, a very good book.

Dough Nut

Peanut
12-16-2007, 05:47
My uncle recommended it and let me borrow his copy. It is one of my favorites. I felt I could relate to him and enjoyed reading his inner thoughts as well and what he was doing.

Hooch
12-16-2007, 06:19
I finally ordered my own copy of Awol last night. Can't wait to get it in! :D

Ewker
12-16-2007, 10:50
I have the book but let a friend borrow it to read. When I get it back I can start reading it

Hooch
12-16-2007, 10:55
I finally ordered my own copy of Awol last night. Can't wait to get it in! :DI sent Awol an e-mail asking if I could get my copy autographed last night. I got an e-mail back a little bit ago letting me know that my copy would be autographed and that it was going to be shipped tomorrow. :D My only dilemma now? Read it in a couple sittings or a little bit at a time?

wilconow
01-17-2008, 12:22
Another "journal" type book by an average writer. David Brill's As Far As The Eye Can See is the only book chronicling a thru-hike I really enjoyed.

mark.k.watson
01-17-2008, 13:07
I listened to AWOL speak at Amicalola in March 2007 right before I headed up the approach trail for the first time. Truly inspiring talk and book. I am in the middle of my third read.

Cannibal
01-17-2008, 13:12
I think it's a great book. It kept me interested and entertained throughout the read. I've read it twice and enjoyed it both times.

sheepdog
01-17-2008, 13:17
I picked his book up at SNP bookstore. It was even autographed. Great read!!

Hooch
01-17-2008, 13:26
I'm just shy of being done with my copy and it's a great read. Definitely interesting! I have an autographed copy as well! :D

wakapak
01-17-2008, 13:34
Good book!! I actually met him during his hike....went with Arrow and did trailmagic for hikers up here in NH. AWOL was a friend of Arrow's...good guy! Even found my name in his book!! That was a surprise to me! :)

gearfreak
01-17-2008, 13:39
I received this book as a Christmas gift from my wife. Read it in a day and a half, thoroughly enjoying every chapter. Got a kick out of seeing Footslogger mentioned. When Slogger refers to 2003 as the "wet year", this book gives that comment additional insight. See more photos at David's website (http://www.awolonthetrail.com/). Also, I noticed that the cover of the new "Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Planner is David rock-hopping Pleasant River.:cool:

Tom Joad
11-26-2009, 11:51
This is a good book for gettin' your mind right. Most of the older accounts I have read of thru-hiking the AT were written through rose colored glasses. AWOL'S book gives the insight you need to prepare, remember BE PREPARED !!!

Tom Joad

Daydream Believer
01-02-2010, 19:47
I loved this book and it is the book that helped me realize that I could hike the AT. Now I'm only section hiking but one day hope to do a thru hike. I bought mine at SNP also in 2008. Now a year later, we've started our AT journey. I have recommended the book to several friends also.

Colter
01-03-2010, 09:43
I really enjoyed AWOL's book. It tells it like it is, (at least from one person's perspective) the good and the bad. I highly recommend it, especially to folks planning to thru-hike who want an idea of what to expect.

01-06-2010, 11:43
Great book. Finished the whole thing in about 3 days and by the end felt that part of me had already walked the trail. AWOLs reading is very accessible. At no point does it feel monotonous or overloaded with verbose descriptive narrative. He does a good job of conveying the sense of 'trail community' that exists on the A.T.

Reading 'Appalachian Odyssey' right now by Steve Sherman & Julia Older. They hiked the trail in 1973 so a different perspective. The trail was far less trafficed at that time so naturally this reading has less narrative of human encounters and the sense of trail community. I get the sense they were naturalists at heart, taking extreme delight in the plants, flowers, flora, and fauna. The writing is good although not as compelling (for me) as AWOLS (or Bryson's).

stranger
01-10-2010, 22:31
I liked it as well, and have encouraged others to read this book. I would rate AWOL on the AT as one of the better books I've read, I would also strongly recommend Walking the Appalachian Trail by Larry Luxenburg, although somewhat dated, it profiles a number of hikers and for those who like short stories, it's hard to beat!

What's Model T's book? Someone mentioned it earlier?

rhjanes
01-11-2010, 01:05
What's Model T's book? Someone mentioned it earlier?He has two. Walking on the Happy Side of Misery. 4 Time thru-hiker.
http://modelt.homestead.com/index.html

wvgrinder
02-24-2010, 16:22
Great book. Finished the whole thing in about 3 days and by the end felt that part of me had already walked the trail. AWOLs reading is very accessible. At no point does it feel monotonous or overloaded with verbose descriptive narrative. He does a good job of conveying the sense of 'trail community' that exists on the A.T.

Reading 'Appalachian Odyssey' right now by Steve Sherman & Julia Older. They hiked the trail in 1973 so a different perspective. The trail was far less trafficed at that time so naturally this reading has less narrative of human encounters and the sense of trail community. I get the sense they were naturalists at heart, taking extreme delight in the plants, flowers, flora, and fauna. The writing is good although not as compelling (for me) as AWOLS (or Bryson's).

I was given a copy of Appalachian Odyssey back in 1990. About halfway through the book, I decided to hop on the trail. I think I'll read it again.

Red Beard
02-24-2010, 16:47
I sent Awol an e-mail asking if I could get my copy autographed last night. I got an e-mail back a little bit ago letting me know that my copy would be autographed and that it was going to be shipped tomorrow. :D My only dilemma now? Read it in a couple sittings or a little bit at a time?

I'm considered a very slow reader. I plowed through it in a weekend. It's a great read.

Spogatz
02-25-2010, 22:57
This is a hikers book for hikers....just the type I like.

MyName1sMud
03-15-2010, 11:26
Sounds like a book I need to sink my eyes into.

SGT Rock
03-15-2010, 14:36
I read it a couple of times. A good read, especially if you are in a spot where you want to stop doing whatever it is and go hiking.

cowpoke
03-15-2010, 14:57
I thought it was a good read. cheers.

Awol2003
03-31-2010, 10:58
"Awol on the Appalachian Trail" is now available on Amazon's Kindle. All photos and footnotes that are in the hardcopy are included in the Kindle edition; those of you who have a Kindle may know that this is not always the case.

Lion King
03-31-2010, 12:53
I think its cool cuz' I drink Jager, hit on college chicks and Awol and I kick ass in a pool 'tourney for shots' in Dalton

lobo41
03-31-2010, 14:21
Based on everyone's laudatory comments, I also just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading it.

jbrecon2
04-10-2010, 09:36
Awiol, enjoyed your book alot man, especially in the end when you talk about dream fulfillment and not regretting your decision. it was reassuring, and i'm happy to be entering the class of 2010!

Hooch
04-10-2010, 10:09
Another "journal" type book by an average writer. And what book have you written? :rolleyes:

sidebackside
04-10-2010, 10:35
Another "journal" type book by an average writer.

And what book have you written? :rolleyes:

Agreed Hooch.

Obviously it's strictly opinion as to what one thinks about this book or any other for that matter. That being said...it seems the general opinion of readers seem to think this is a great book, as do I. It ranks 2nd out of 424 other books about the AT. I'm just sayin...

lobo41
04-12-2010, 08:12
As stated above, I ordered AWOL's book. I was pleasantly surprised to see that David "AWOL" Miller autographed it. Once I started reading it, I had trouble putting it down. I rank it up with George Spearing's Dances with Marmots as one of the best thruhiker books I have read. Enjoyable, witty, educational, inspiring. Highly recommend it.

Speakeasy TN
05-31-2010, 09:28
Another "journal" type book by an average writer. David Brill's As Far As The Eye Can See is the only book chronicling a thru-hike I really enjoyed

There's one in every crowd! Sure it's just an opinion but does the "average" journal make it to a second printing? Sell this many copies?

Super read! Much better written than most average journals. AWOL has the skills and vocabulary of a "professional" writer and the heart of a hiker.

That being said, he's also a really nice guy who was a pleasure to meet at Trail Days 2010.

Roland
05-31-2010, 09:44
Another "journal" type book by an average writer. David Brill's As Far As The Eye Can See is the only book chronicling a thru-hike I really enjoyed

There's one in every crowd! Sure it's just an opinion but does the "average" journal make it to a second printing? Sell this many copies?

Super read! Much better written than most average journals. AWOL has the skills and vocabulary of a "professional" writer and the heart of a hiker.

That being said, he's also a really nice guy who was a pleasure to meet at Trail Days 2010.

Sybil, is that you?!! :D

Your post didn't make much sense to me, until I scrolled back a page. Then I discovered your first paragraph was a quote from wilconow.

Another "journal" type book by an average writer. David Brill's As Far As The Eye Can See is the only book chronicling a thru-hike I really enjoyed.

Speakeasy TN
06-01-2010, 09:46
Sybil, is that you?!! :D

Your post didn't make much sense to me, until I scrolled back a page. Then I discovered your first paragraph was a quote from wilconow.

Communication skills obviously lacking! But my heart's in the right place!

Awol2003
06-08-2010, 11:57
An updated edition of Awol on the AT will be published this fall by Amazon's new publication company AmazonEncore. From today's press release:

"Announced in May 2009, AmazonEncore is a program which identifies exceptional books and emerging authors ... then works with the authors to introduce or re-introduce their books to readers through marketing and distribution into multiple channels and formats."

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=1435819

TJ aka Teej
06-08-2010, 12:29
An updated edition of Awol on the AT will be published this fall by Amazon's new publication company AmazonEncore.

Congrats, AWOL!

Skyline
06-08-2010, 18:25
An updated edition of Awol on the AT will be published this fall by Amazon's new publication company AmazonEncore. From today's press release:

"Announced in May 2009, AmazonEncore is a program which identifies exceptional books and emerging authors ... then works with the authors to introduce or re-introduce their books to readers through marketing and distribution into multiple channels and formats."

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=1435819

AWOL:

That is quite a feather in your cap--yours is one of 10 to be chosen for Amazon's first publishing venture. Congrats!

Skyline

Rain Man
06-08-2010, 20:11
That is quite a feather in your cap--yours is one of 10 to be chosen for Amazon's first publishing venture. Congrats!

INDEED!!!!!!!!!!

FritztheCat
06-08-2010, 20:30
Congrats AWOL!

amac
06-09-2010, 07:08
AWOL, conrats. This is a recognition well deserved.

phobos
06-09-2010, 19:27
I just finished reading your book AWOL. I loved every sentence, great job!

Ranc0r
06-09-2010, 20:11
Bought it, read it, still have it, may even end up reading it again. Thanks for sharing AWOL, it takes more than a hike to make a good thru book, and more than an author to make a hike interesting. Didn't get a signed copy, may have to do something about that.

HYOH, then write your own damn book, and only THEN criticize those who have.

Ranc0r

phobos
06-10-2010, 06:32
I found a quote that pretty much sums up my life so far in the epilogue " It is disturbing how tenuous our potential is due to our fervent defense of the comfortable norm"

I can't begin to explain how many adventures / different paths I could have taken in life, but didn't because of the fear of change. I think you might have inspired me AWOL!

couscous
06-10-2010, 10:13
Great guy, great book. He tells it like it is. ~ He talked about his hike and book at a session at the A.T. Museum Grand Opening this past weekend. ~ As I was doing trail magic in Maryland, his guide book The A.T. Guide: 2010 (http://www.awolonthetrail.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=208&zenid=e15d975849bdeea446994e13f4afccbf)was getting rave reviews for the terrain profiles and town maps.

mi77915
11-02-2010, 11:21
I just finished this book and I too HIGHLY recommend it!!! I read it entirely in a weekend!!!

Tom

inabag
11-23-2010, 17:14
I got this last xmas and read it pretty quickly. Have read through a half dozen other AT books this year, and I am back rereading this one. It is a great read.

Northern Lights
12-15-2010, 01:46
I just recieved this book in the mail today, can't wait to start it tonight. Also recieved In Beauty May She Walk. I'm good for the next couple of weeks :D

Rain Man
12-15-2010, 10:22
I just recieved this book in the mail today, can't wait to start it tonight. Also recieved In Beauty May She Walk. I'm good for the next couple of weeks :D

Two great books! My problem is I read good books overnight, then need another fix. :D

writeronthestorm
12-18-2010, 19:37
I finished this last week and thought it was a great read. Though I have to admit for me it was an example of how I don't wan't to do my thru-hike... You know, constantly pushing yourself to make 20 plus mile days, overnighting in town all the time, rushing to get mail drops, etc... Just seemed like he was a slave to his plan.

Half Note
12-31-2010, 09:11
I finished this last week and thought it was a great read. Though I have to admit for me it was an example of how I don't wan't to do my thru-hike... You know, constantly pushing yourself to make 20 plus mile days, overnighting in town all the time, rushing to get mail drops, etc... Just seemed like he was a slave to his plan.
I second this.

Colter
12-31-2010, 12:52
...Just seemed like he was a slave to his plan.

Perhaps. But AWOL has gotten the best reviews for any AT book on Amazon.com. It blows Bryson's book away. I like hiking my own hiking style. And I didn't hike the AT the same way as AWOL or anyone else. But my hiking style was a lot more similar to AWOL than it was to Bryson's. I would say that you're not a slave to your plan if you're free to quit or make changes to it at any time. If he was hiking his own style, and apparently he was, wouldn't that define freedom?

I've probably said it before but one of the things I like best about AWOL's book is it's honesty. There was the way he thought it was going to be, and the way it actually was. It's easy to think "if I hike it right it will all be fun." But most people find it isn't all fun, and that's the main reason people quit. When it got bad enough, AWOL thought about quitting and admitted it in his book. He didn't, he drove on and found out the experience is greater than the sum of its parts. He hiked his own hike in his own way. According to the Amazon reviews he has done the best job at telling the story of an AT thru-hike. I agree.

JaxHiker
01-20-2011, 15:08
When I saw this was available for the Kindle I rushed to download it. It took me about a week in my spare time and I just finished it last week. I really enjoyed it and will probably be reading it again before too long. Very nice book!

crazystick
01-24-2011, 02:58
well I just bought it for my kindle app on my iphone, hope its good, sounds like it is.

Gipsy
01-24-2011, 03:40
Got mine on Amazon as an E-book. Read the entire thing in 2 days. Loved it.

hikingshoes
01-24-2011, 09:13
need a video now.

crazystick
01-26-2011, 20:41
what a great read! im really glad i saw this thread and decided to download the ebook.
i read it on my ipod touch, with the kindle app, so its alot smaller than your regular kindle, but i wizzed through the book, read it all in about two days, i spent any free time i had reading it, and i dont have much of that.

if AWOL lurks these threads at all, thanks alot man, glad you took the time to write all that up, i enjoyed it. cant wait to start my thru this year.

SawnieRobertson
01-27-2011, 14:34
I've read it three times because I loved reading it. I've also given it as gifts to a few. We "bingo'd" when AWOL took to the trail.--Kinnikinic

Sassafras Lass
02-14-2011, 12:57

Wilconow, I would love to read any of your published work . . . . .

takethisbread
02-14-2011, 19:26

I read the Brill book while at Elmers on a thru hike. Pulled damn near all nighter. Great book. I remember the character nick? The guy that yogi'd everything?

That said I have read them all and AWOL s book is as good as any.

It drags by Maine as the hiker does, but a true example of what it might be like.

sandylwes
02-18-2011, 21:13
Just started reading AWOL......about on chapter two....it is great so far!

golfer
02-19-2011, 15:00
I'm about 3/4 the way through this book . I'm am not a fast reader bit when I read it I find I can't put it down anticipating what he's up against next on his journey. Great read and he does a great job of including the people he has met along the way . And how he incorporates other peoples manor of hiking and what not. I live in Massachusettes and I'm planning a section of the AT trail here, but when I go I will definitly bring some trail magic for the possibility of meeting up with some thru hikers and helping them out on ther own journey. Thanks for the great read AWOL.

TAS
05-16-2011, 11:45
I just started it and it is in fact a very good book.

John

slims
05-18-2011, 23:41
Yup it's definitely a good book. I read it a couple months ago and enjoyed it. It really gave a good account of the overall experience. This was actually the first book I read about thru hiking the AT and it's what really sparked my interest in the trail and thru hiking.

trippclark
05-18-2011, 23:47
I am not sure how long the price will last, but I just saw that "Awol on the Appalachian Trail" in the Kindle version is on sale at Amazon.com. The print price is $15.95, the regular Kindle price is $9.99, but right now they have it for $3.99.

TAS
05-20-2011, 13:43
Its $5.99 in paperback and $3.99 Kindle, I got the paperback yesterday

John

DayHiker G
10-19-2011, 11:43
Fantastic book. I'm halfway through reading it. I just got to the chapter where AWOL is at the Delaware Water Gap. I can accredit this book for starting all this madness with me wanting to get back on the trails again! Thx AWOL! LOL! It's also the reason I found and joined whiteblaze.net. I'm not big on reading but I decided to purchase this book since hiking is an interest of mine. Now, I’m having trouble putting the book down. AWOL’s writing made me feel like I was right next to him every step of his journey (half of his journey so far). After a couple of chapters into the book I started searching the shelters he mentions just to get a glimpse of some of the sights. I've read stories and opinions listed on the internet about the Hostel keepers and other people he met. The story makes me want to quit my job and gather my gear and start my own journey on the AT! I was a bit disappointed towards his review about Slatington, PA. Since it was one of the few places he had nothing nice to say during his stay there. There are so many other places he could have stayed and had a better experience. If there is only one book you are going to read about the AT I would highly recommend this one!

birdygal
10-27-2011, 15:34
I got it on Kindle it was a very good book , check with your local library if you do not want to buy it, I know my library has it

Sailing_Faith
12-04-2011, 15:08
Just finished reading it... could not put it down! Bought it on the forum (thanks Chicken Feathers!) started reading it when I took it out of the mail box and did not stop. :)

What a great read!

Rozz
01-20-2012, 23:18
I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and this is the first Kindle book I've read. Well, the only one. Am re-reading it. ;)

shelb
01-20-2012, 23:36
I found a quote that pretty much sums up my life so far in the epilogue " It is disturbing how tenuous our potential is due to our fervent defense of the comfortable norm"

I can't begin to explain how many adventures / different paths I could have taken in life, but didn't because of the fear of change. I think you might have inspired me AWOL!

Emerson & Thoreau would be proud!

Rain Man
01-21-2012, 10:13
Emerson & Thoreau would be proud!

Not to mention Abbey?

fcoulter
10-30-2012, 13:27
Add me to the list of people who really enjoyed this book. It's currently #2,509 for all paid books on the Kindle, and number 1 in the following categories:
Kindle Store (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_1_1) > Kindle eBooks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/154606011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_1_2) > Nonfiction (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/157325011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_1_3) > Travel (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/159936011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_1_4) > Essays & Travelogues (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/159960011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_1_5_last) Books (http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zgbs/books/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_2_1) > Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/26/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_2_2) > Hiking & Camping (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/16384/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_2_3) > Excursion Guides (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/16400/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_2_4_last) Kindle Store (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_3_1) > Kindle eBooks (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/154606011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_3_2) > Nonfiction (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/157325011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_3_3) > Sports (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/159818011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_3_4) > Outdoors & Nature (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/157564011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_3_5) > Hiking & Camping (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/157572011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_kstore_3_6_last)
Not bad for a book about hiking.

For those who are Prime members and cheap, you can also borrow it for free. AWOL will still get paid something for it when you borrow it, so don't feel guilty.

ScoutDad
10-30-2012, 13:43
This was the first book I ever read on thru hiking. Loved it and it has been my favorite by far.

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2012, 15:17
Thanks I got my copy from the Amazon and I found a new category...

Traveling teacher
10-30-2012, 21:06
I too purchased this book prior to my hike and found it to be well written. I hiked as Gatorgump and just published a book titled "sometimes the Appalachian trail is..." by J. Michael Osmond on kindle and amazon (shameless plug).
Be forewarned, my book is different in that it talks much about the youthful party atmosphere along the trail and in the towns and mentions many hostels. Some, I understand, like Miss Janet's are no longer in existence.