PDA

View Full Version : ATC & US Cellular issue Cell Phone guidelines

TJ aka Teej
10-27-2006, 07:38
http://www.journal-news.net/news/articles.asp?articleID=4628

Advice offered for Appalachian Trail walkers

Officials with U.S. Cellular combined efforts with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to offer tips for hikers walking along the Appalachian Trail this fall.

“Wireless phones can save lives, but as in any situation, we ask that our customers be aware of the people and places around them,” said Michelle Groves, director of sales for U.S. Cellular in the Mid-Atlantic, in a press release.
Much of the Appalachian Trail is well within range of the mobile phone systems, according to Martin Bartels, director of communications for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

“If you have an emergency in an area with limited reception like gaps, hollows, valleys and shelters, you can use the standard audible or visible distress alert of three short calls, repeated at regular intervals,” Bartels advised in the press release.

U.S. Cellular and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy offer the following safety tips for leaf peepers who take to the historic trail:

¯ Leave your hiking itinerary and timetable with someone at home.

¯ Be sure that your contacts and family know your trail name.

¯Check in regularly and establish a procedure to follow if you fail to check in. On short hikes, provide your contacts with the numbers of the land-managing agencies for the area of your hike.

¯On extended hikes, provide the Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s phone number of (304)535-6331.

¯ Do not deviate from your planned route without updating friends and family.

¯ Always carry a map and compass.

¯ Keep your wireless phone turned off or turn the ringer to off or vibrate, but keep it accessible.

¯ Do not use your wireless phone in the wilderness unless it’s a true emergency.

¯ Remember that others may be upset to hear wireless phones in remote areas.

Prepare for your adventure with proper gear, clothing, trip planning and a first-aid kit.

¯ Be self-reliant, whether carrying cell phones or not. Don’t leave ill-prepared or engage in risky actions just because you have a cell phone to call for rescue.

¯ Make note of the emergency phone numbers included in guidebooks and on maps.

¯ Do not rely solely on 911; in some remote areas 911 won’t work, so always check with local public safety officials before you head out.

¯ Do not leave marked trails and try to ‘bushwhack’ out if injured — you will be harder to find and are more likely to encounter dangerous terrain.

¯ Most of the Appalachian Trail is well-enough traveled that, if you are injured, you can expect to be found. However, if an area is remote and the weather is bad, fewer hikers will be on the trail, especially after dark.

¯ Do not call for rescue assistance if, with proper planning and thought, you can walk yourself to safety. In some states, you can be charged for the rescue efforts in situations where reckless behavior has led to the need for search and rescue.

¯ A whistle is particularly good for audible signals.

¯ Visible signals may include, in daytime, light flashed with a mirror or smoke puffs; at night, a flashlight or three small bright fires. Anyone recognizing such a signal should acknowledge with two calls — if possible, by the same method — then go to the distressed person to determine the nature of the emergency.

U.S. Cellular serves 5.6 million customers in 26 states across the country. The Chicago-based company is reportedly the nation’s sixth-largest wireless service carrier.

Krewzer
10-27-2006, 09:47
?????.........this smells like spam or really clever marketing to me.

"Officials with U.S. Cellular combined efforts with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to offer tips for hikers walking along the Appalachian Trail this fall."

Yea, me too. I offer tips, so does the ATC. We're in this together. Buy my product.

I don't see US Cellular or the Journal listed as Corporate partners.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1300099/k.A3C2/Our_Partners.htm

Am I missing something? Is either involved with the local AT club or some other trail related organization?

neo
10-27-2006, 09:59
http://www.journal-news.net/news/articles.asp?articleID=4628

Advice offered for Appalachian Trail walkers

Officials with U.S. Cellular combined efforts with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to offer tips for hikers walking along the Appalachian Trail this fall.

“Wireless phones can save lives, but as in any situation, we ask that our customers be aware of the people and places around them,” said Michelle Groves, director of sales for U.S. Cellular in the Mid-Atlantic, in a press release.
Much of the Appalachian Trail is well within range of the mobile phone systems, according to Martin Bartels, director of communications for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

“If you have an emergency in an area with limited reception like gaps, hollows, valleys and shelters, you can use the standard audible or visible distress alert of three short calls, repeated at regular intervals,” Bartels advised in the press release.

U.S. Cellular and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy offer the following safety tips for leaf peepers who take to the historic trail:

¯ Leave your hiking itinerary and timetable with someone at home.

¯ Be sure that your contacts and family know your trail name.

¯Check in regularly and establish a procedure to follow if you fail to check in. On short hikes, provide your contacts with the numbers of the land-managing agencies for the area of your hike.

¯On extended hikes, provide the Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s phone number of (304)535-6331.

¯ Do not deviate from your planned route without updating friends and family.

¯ Always carry a map and compass.

¯ Keep your wireless phone turned off or turn the ringer to off or vibrate, but keep it accessible.

¯ Do not use your wireless phone in the wilderness unless it’s a true emergency.

¯ Remember that others may be upset to hear wireless phones in remote areas.

Prepare for your adventure with proper gear, clothing, trip planning and a first-aid kit.

¯ Be self-reliant, whether carrying cell phones or not. Don’t leave ill-prepared or engage in risky actions just because you have a cell phone to call for rescue.

¯ Make note of the emergency phone numbers included in guidebooks and on maps.

¯ Do not rely solely on 911; in some remote areas 911 won’t work, so always check with local public safety officials before you head out.

¯ Do not leave marked trails and try to ‘bushwhack’ out if injured — you will be harder to find and are more likely to encounter dangerous terrain.

¯ Most of the Appalachian Trail is well-enough traveled that, if you are injured, you can expect to be found. However, if an area is remote and the weather is bad, fewer hikers will be on the trail, especially after dark.

¯ Do not call for rescue assistance if, with proper planning and thought, you can walk yourself to safety. In some states, you can be charged for the rescue efforts in situations where reckless behavior has led to the need for search and rescue.

¯ A whistle is particularly good for audible signals.

¯ Visible signals may include, in daytime, light flashed with a mirror or smoke puffs; at night, a flashlight or three small bright fires. Anyone recognizing such a signal should acknowledge with two calls — if possible, by the same method — then go to the distressed person to determine the nature of the emergency.

U.S. Cellular serves 5.6 million customers in 26 states across the country. The Chicago-based company is reportedly the nation’s sixth-largest wireless service carrier.

:D the ATC cant tell me how to use my cell phone:cool: neo

Krewzer
10-27-2006, 10:39
:D the ATC cant tell me how to use my cell phone:cool: neo

I'd be very surprised if the ATC even knew about this article.

hammock engineer
10-27-2006, 10:44
On a related subject, if you cannot make a call you might be able to send a text message. There are times with my phone that I cannot call but am able to send a text.

JoeHiker
10-30-2006, 13:14
?????.........this smells like spam or really clever marketing to me.

"Officials with U.S. Cellular combined efforts with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to offer tips for hikers walking along the Appalachian Trail this fall."

Yea, me too. I offer tips, so does the ATC. We're in this together. Buy my product.

Do you have a particular problem with any of the tips presented or just who is presenting them?

Pokey2006
10-31-2006, 00:52
I also do question the source of this, as there is something hinky about it, and I applaud others for openly questioning it as well...but it does bring up some good points.

Think I'll do a search on "cell phones" first, because it's probably been discussed already...if not, I'll be back!

Pokey2006
10-31-2006, 01:05
Well, a quick search didn't turn up anything immediately, though I can't imagine cell phone use on the AT hasn't been thoroughly discussed already. If not, then let's get started!

Personally, I carried a cell phone. It was NOT like carrying a rock. It was so light and little, I hardly noticed it.

At first, I didn't want to bring it. I resisted, big time. But my mother insisted. So, to ease her mind, I brought it with me. Anyone with a mother, or anyone at home who worries irrationally about your safety, would be able to understand that. I never needed it for an emergency, but it was nice for me, and my mother back home, to know I had it if I needed it.

I was careful about how I used my cell. At first, I only used it in town. Later, after being away from loved ones for several months, I would use it to call home from the trail, but ONLY WHEN I WAS CAMPED ALONE. I never, ever used my cell phone within hearing distance of other campers. NEVER. That is completely taboo.

I did bump into one southbounder who was in her tent a few feet away from me, talking on her cell for half an hour or more. And this was the same night that I was itching to talk to my daughter, but I refrained because I was within earshot of others and didn't think it was appropriate. I was pretty pissed that I had to listen to this other woman go on and on and on... I don't like listening to people on their cells in the grocery store, let alone on the trail!

So, some common sense, like anything else out on the trail, is certainly called for here. That doesn't mean that cell phones are bad, just make sure to use them wisely and with courtesy, and never use them in place of common sense, safety wise.

1happyhiker
10-31-2006, 02:43
im not going to give the post another copy/paste but really, who gives a
~!#^? what is that cell company going to sponsor me? if i want to leave my phone on ring, i will. i pay the friggin bill. i let a couple use my phone to call a relative to celebrate that they made it to HF. what are you the friggin fun police? deviate from your plan? lets see, how many thru hikers have ever had to leave the trail to mail something heavy back, etc. if your going thru you have the brains enough to not have to call your mommy if your not on the trail. upset to hear a cell conversation? seriously....(A) if you can even GET CELL RECEPTION and (B) the offended party should get a life and not care that someone is on the phone.

another bs post. mod's, whats with all the trolls and junk like this? some one needs to weed this crap out cause i could give a flip less about politics or cell companies.

-hh