PDA

View Full Version : tortellini

pedxing
05-09-2003, 13:37
I just tried it out: dried tortellini at about 115 calories/ounce.... easy to carry and easy to cook. Delicious on the trail with good olive oil. Salt, pepper, parmesian cheese can be added for flavor. Parmesan earns its weight nutrionally.

High quality olive oil is a delicious and very weight efficient way to carry calories. More than 200/ounce.

My philosophy on food is to take very high quality ingredients with high calories per weight. It's often cheaper than processed "instant" foods for the trail and tastier. High quality ingredients taste better and dont' ned complex preparation or expensive and weight inefficient flavorings. They reduce the temptation to go to restaurants.

DebW
05-09-2003, 13:51
I agree. The dried tortellini is great. I add parsley and basil along with the olive oil.

Hammock Hanger
05-09-2003, 17:30
It is always a staple in my food bag. It comes in so amny flavors these days. If I'm still fresh from town and haen't eaten it all some of that pre-cooked bacon with the garlic and oil adds a nice touch. HH

saimyoji
01-12-2005, 01:33
Almost as much as I love it when really old threads get resurected. There are many of these types of pastas available now, tortellinis, raviollis, cannalonis....any unique preparations?

ToeJam
01-12-2005, 08:22
This was our FAVORITE meal last year! First time we had tried it also, from dried. We tossed with olive oil and some parmsan I brought in a lil M&M's mini container and it rocked! Plus it was on sale and I had a coiupon so it was almost free lol! :) Mmmmmm! Now which flavor to bring this year!

Crash
01-13-2005, 15:26
Getting dehydrated tomato sauce is hard unless you do it yourself.i don't. so i use tomato soup Erin's brand and add a few cherry tomatos crushed to give it texture.

neo
01-13-2005, 15:44
i think i will try tortellini on my next hike,i will add my on version of pesto to it

olive oil,sweet basil,walnut,garlic cloves,parmeasan cheese all ran thru a food processor,:sun neo

PKH
01-13-2005, 16:44
Well I'm new to tortellini. Are you buying this already dried or are you dehydrating it yourself? How long does it take to reconstitute? It is a stuffed pasta, is it not? Anyway it sounds great, if I can find any of the stuff.

cheers,

PKH

ToeJam
01-13-2005, 17:25
PKH, Barilla makes it dried now and its pretty light too. Yes, its stuffed - I know there's Four Cheese, some kind with Spinach and Cheese, Cheese and Garlic, etc. A package that feeds two pretty well is 8 oz. pre-cooked. It says cooks in 10-11 minutes and I think we found that to be pretty dead on.

Check your grocery in the regular pasta isle - it came out in in last couple years and is on sale here quite often too. Sometimes even little blinkie coupon machines next to them for more money off too lol!

The Solemates
01-13-2005, 17:36
We cooked cheese-and-spinach-stuffed Tortellini at our campsite along the Sako River in the Whites. Upon completing the cooking, I managed to spill half of it on the sandy shore. We just simply rinsed it off and ate it anyways. It was excellent.

PKH
01-13-2005, 20:07
Thankyou ToeJam, I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

PKH

The Will
01-13-2005, 21:47
Timely post. I just discovered and used tortelleni on my recent trip to Big Bend Nat'l Park. It is heavier than most dehydrated, backpacking-type foods, but the calorie, carb and fat content are undoubtedly worth the weight and the portions were thru-hiker worthy. I added a small packet of spaghetti sauce seasoning, approx. 2.5 oz. of tomato paste and toppped it with some shake on garlic parmesian...one of the most satisfying backpacking meals I've ever eaten.

gumball
01-14-2005, 07:14
How do you cook it--is it possible to place it in a freezer bag and just add the boiling water and let it sit--or does it take a lot of boiling?

Panama Red
01-14-2005, 09:49
i havent tried this with tortelini yet but if you mix a can of tomato soup with a little cooked ground beef ( it could be leftover from a burger in town) a green pepper and a litlle water you will have a stuffed bell pepper soup with tortelinni

Big Dawg
01-14-2005, 22:43
I love tortellini, & never knew there was a dried version. Great!! Just located it in the store this evening. Olive oil version, does this sound right? ---> Boil water, add tortellini for 10+ minutes, drain water, add olive oil over cooked tortellini-(heat again/or not?), add: parmesian, parsley, basil, p&s, etc.,stir, Eat!! I think I'll have this meal on top of Mt.Leconte next weekend!!

saimyoji
01-14-2005, 23:10
Not required to boil? I believe this version of tortellini is pre-cooked, dried. So, in a pinch, you could eat it as is, no cooking. Anyone try it yet?

ToeJam
01-15-2005, 10:02
Hmmmm, I don't think so, saimyoji? The Bertolli kind I had anyway - is the same as say, raw macaronis. Hard and smaller until you boil for that time. I guess they must in some way be precooked to get the stuff in, but I don't think you'd want to eat uncooked, even in a pinch! That's just me, tho!

PKH
01-18-2005, 12:46
I'm not normally one to gush over things, but I have to thank whoever it was that started this tortellini thread. A week ago I didn't know the stuff existed, and now it is one of my staples. Marvellous stuff. Just tried the spinach and ricotta with a little olive oil and Italian spices.

For Gumball: I use the boil and wait method of cooking myself. Thirty minutes in my Gatorade mug and cozy and the stuff was perfect. I believe it was done before that - just didn't check it. So no - not a great deal of boiling - you can save your fuel.

cheers,

PKH

Mouse
01-18-2005, 19:09
I loved tortellini! Did you know you can eat it raw right out of the package?

saimyoji
01-18-2005, 20:40
That was my impression too, but see above post by toejam :confused:

Mouse
01-18-2005, 21:12
Regular tortellini crunches nicely, nothing at all like trying to eat maccaroni. I lived on the stuff, trust me!

restless
01-18-2005, 22:09
I also have started carrying totellini and add a small jar of spaghetti sauce or alfredo and add some of Jack links precooked ground beef. one package does two meals and it holds up for a couple of days in the pack.