PDA

View Full Version : All Western ME mtns. snowcapped

woodsy
10-27-2006, 17:45
Time to get the winter gear out and head into the winter wonderlands folks.
I've been looking at these snowcapped mtns. for a few days now and couldn't wait any longer so took an easy stroll into Saddleback today as far as Eddy Pond and was trudging through about 6" of the crunchy stuff at the pond.
Met a SOBO at Piazza Rock shelter who had just come down and he said there was a foot or more on the summits comming across from Sugarloaf. I didn't have enough time to go the distance but got a taste of my favorite hiking season. :)

attroll
10-27-2006, 18:51
I went out yesterday to try and do Trail maintenance on my section of the trail between Wyman Mountain and Hall Mountain lean-to here in Maine and could not make it to the start of my section on Wyman mountain because I was wading through 1/2 foot of snow for about one mile and fighting large blow downs and decided to turn around and wait for spring thaw.

Chomp09
10-28-2006, 09:17
I went out last weekend to hike the Notch and camp at Speck Pond, only to realize when we reached the treeline on Goose Eye that there was WAY more ice than expected... Should have brought some crampons... I have mixed feelings about it but I guess it's time to drag out the winter gear.:cool:

Jerm
10-30-2006, 00:22
hey woodsy, you happen to catch the name of the sobo'er. my buddy grizzly adam is out hiking b/w monson and franconia.

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 01:34
Y'all are making me want to cry! I wanna be a southern girl...boo hoo! This place -- New England -- was so not made for human habitation.

woodsy
10-30-2006, 08:51
Toughen up Pokey, Get yourself some winter gear and do some winter hiking if you want a surreal experience.

Mr. Clean
11-02-2006, 06:08
Winter hiking is awesome, but winter camping is another story. It gets damn cold at night around here in January, especially in a hammock.:eek: