PDA

View Full Version : help with thru hiking with dog

tmeinberg
10-28-2006, 08:42
if anyone has thru-hiked with their dog what did you do when you got to the smoky mountains, i know they are prohibited, and i know that there are kennels that you can drop your dog off at (i heard its like $200 bucks, not in the budget) any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

we have baxter covered if and when we get there. but we need help with the smoky mountains.

thanks

Phreak
10-28-2006, 15:19
Can you give me some additional info on your dog? (i.e. breed, age, temperament, etc.) PM me or email brian (at) hikes247 (dot) com.

Also, how long do you think you'd need to complete the Smokey section?

I'd consider keeping your dog for you if I feel he/she will be compatible with my dogs in our home.

Brian

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2006, 15:27
Both the Thru Hikers Handbook and the Thru-Hikers Companion give information on local kennels that have had experience with hiker dogs.

You can check out the 2006 Companion here:

http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn06.pdf

Also, Jeff and Nancy Hoch have run the nearby Hike Inn in Fontana Dam for many years, and would most likely be an excellent source of information on dog boarding as this is something they are asked about every year.

You can call them at (828) 479-3677

skyhiker2
12-19-2006, 16:43
So what happens if you just say screw it and walk the trail through smokies with your dog. Who is actually going to come into the woods to enforce that bull-**** of a rule????

Lone Wolf
12-19-2006, 16:46
So what happens if you just say screw it and walk the trail through smokies with your dog. Who is actually going to come into the woods to enforce that bull-**** of a rule????

Somebody might turn your azz in at Fontana Dam, Newfound gap or Clingmans Dome. Or a ridge runner might come upon you.

QHShowoman
12-19-2006, 16:48
Rippling Waters Kennel offers boarding/shuttling for thru hikers:

http://www.frenchbulldogs.org/ripplingwater/

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2006, 17:44
Wolf is 100% correct; the regulations barring dogs from GSMNP are there for very good reasons, and aren't "bull****" rules that can or should be ignored.

In recent years, I've seen people going thru with dogs they illegally claimed to be "service" dogs which is a really cheesy thing to do. If you have a legitimate service dog, I absolutely respect that, but pretending to have one is a really shabby thing to do.

Wolf mentioned the possibility of ridgerunners or Rangers finding you with a dog in the Park, which would result in expulsion from the Park and a very hefty fine. However, now that more and more hikers are carrying phones, it's more likely that an illegal dog and its owner would be dimed out to the authorities by another hiker, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

One's right to have a pet and enjoy their company does NOT mean they have the right to take this animal anywhere they please, and people that willfully choose to ignore rules and regulations in the Smokies or anywhere else do so at their own risk.

The Weasel
12-19-2006, 17:52
Wolf is 100% correct; the regulations barring dogs from GSMNP are there for very good reasons, and aren't "bull****" rules that can or should be ignored.

In recent years, I've seen people going thru with dogs they illegally claimed to be "service" dogs which is a really cheesy thing to do. If you have a legitimate service dog, I absolutely respect that, but pretending to have one is a really shabby thing to do. ***.

This may be a 'legal' topic if anyone wants me to go into it, in the Law thread. For instance, one of the things people may not realize is that almost any person who is handicapped can, essentially, 'self-designate' a dog as a "service dog", and there is no recogized "certificate" that covers such things. For instance, I'm very hearing impaired, and my Lab does a huge amount of "alert dog" work for me. While I'm against taking dogs (even service dogs, other than seeing eye) on the trail, I could very likely keep him in GSMNP/Baxter. But I agree with Jack that it is beyond cheesy for someone to trump up a "service dog" argument unless it's legitimate.

The Weasel

Boat Drinks
12-19-2006, 18:43
Can you give me some additional info on your dog? (i.e. breed, age, temperament, etc.) PM me or email brian (at) hikes247 (dot) com.

Also, how long do you think you'd need to complete the Smokey section?

I'd consider keeping your dog for you if I feel he/she will be compatible with my dogs in our home.

Brian

That is awfully cool of you! :sun

noah7
12-19-2006, 20:51
Last night I told my dog she couldn't go hiking with me on the AT in march and that she will be staying with aunt sandy. Today when I got home from work aunt sandy said, "go downstairs and take a look at your door, I think your baby is trying to tell you something." After going downstairs.....I went to Home Depot. The Battle has begun between man and his DOG!!!!:mad: