PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Tyvek?

stickman
10-28-2006, 11:07
Anybody have any experience sewing tyveK? I've heard sewing it weakens the material and it tends to rip out easily. True? Would taping along the seam as you sew correct that? What kind of tape should I use?

I'm thinking about making an emergency bivy.

Stickman

Just Jeff
10-28-2006, 11:12
I've heard of folks using the Tyvek tape instead of sewing. Never done it myself, but apparently it's strong and waterproof enough for a tarp that way.

stickman
10-28-2006, 11:17
Just, Jeff, i never heard of Tyvek tape but I'll look for it. Thanks.

Stickman

Just Jeff
10-28-2006, 12:02
Right next to the Tyvek in Home Depot or Lowe's. About 3" wide, IIRC. Should be easy to find.

Cedar Tree
10-28-2006, 14:46
I've done some sewing with tyvek, and now that you mention it, it seems I remember some seam problems. I used the kite variety. I once made a whole Packa from tyvek. However, I have had some good success Glueing tyvek together. The bug tent pictured on my website has a bathtub floor that is all glued together (just the floor). It was long ago so I dont remember exactly what kind of glue I used. I think the tyvek tape would work well too.
CT

fiddlehead
10-28-2006, 17:15
I tried sewing it. Actually since i own a company that sews some of our products, i had professional sewers sew it to my design. I made a tent something like the mega-mid. When i tried to set it up and pulled it tight (like i do the real mega-mid) it simply ripped apart at the seams where it was sewed. The stuff is strong but putting all of those tiny holes in a line is like making a perforated paper spot that rips off easily (like when you get your credit card bill and are supposed to rip off the top)
Possibly I could've seam sealed it, taped it, tried all kinds of things, but I didn't want to go out there with anything with a weak spot so i moved on to other materials and eventually made one our to sil-nylon that works great and is much lighter.
I am impressed with Tyvek for other things but gave up on the sewing idea, especially if strength is needed. good luck.

Spock
10-28-2006, 21:34
Glue Tyvek:
Rough the glue line with find sand paper - 220 or so.
Use good contact cement such as Barge's or Duco Household in a thin layer on both surfaces. Let it mostly dry, mate the surfaces, then whack it lightly with a rubber mallet to get a perfect bond.

Soften Tyvek AFTER lay-out, cutting, and glueing to ensure precision.

rainmaker
10-29-2006, 21:23
There's a SOBO with the trail name of Tyvek who made all his gear out of tyvek. He is also hiking the trail barefoot to bring attention to the need to provide services to Vets suffering from PTSD. We met him at the Pinefield shelter in SNP around Oct. 6. All of his gear including a bedroll was made of tyvek. Wish I could figure out how to attach a picture.

LostInSpace
10-29-2006, 22:29
I highly recommend Tyvek tape. The tape adhesive is pretty tenacious for adhering to Tyvek. I also used the tape to repair the basket of a coffee maker made from a plastic that I could not cement. The tape has withstood washing in a dishwasher.

Spock
10-29-2006, 23:56
OOO gotta git me some of that Tyvek tape. It sounds useful. Thanks for the review, Lost.

generoll
10-30-2006, 08:32
fiddlehead, how did you put the zipper in your tyvek mega mid. i love my mega mid, but don't love the weight. if i were making my own from scratch and had lighter materials i think i'd make it slightly higher and perhaps more rectangular. it seems that i find myself pretty close to the edges when i stretch out in it.

headchange4u
10-30-2006, 10:01
I use Tyvek tape for reinforcements. I made a ground cloth for both my tents. I put in gromments and I reinforced the grommet hole by putting Tyvek tape on both sides of the Tyvek and then installing the grommets. Seems to work very well.

You don't need to hem Tyvek or anything because it won't fray.

SuperTroll
10-30-2006, 16:34
Use the Tape...

Google Tyvek Sails...there are a whole bunch of folks using tyvek for Sails on boats...and they use the tape method to join the edges and reinforce stress points...like this link....

http://www.boat-links.com/Tyvek/index.html