PDA

View Full Version : Re-Supply Article for 2007

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2006, 15:55
Between now and the end of the year, I hope to re-vise and bring up-to-date my Article on Re-supply that has appeared here on Whiteblaze for several years.

I didn't update it last year as it seemed to still be pretty accurate.

However, it's been almost two years now, and I'm sure there are some things that need to be added, deleted, re-written.

I'm hoping that some of the folks who just finished their hikes might have a look at the present article and get back to me with coments, criticisms, suggestions, additions, etc. If you think there are any errors in it, I'd like to know. If you stayed at, or experienced other businesses and places that I neglected to mention, I'd like to know. Most important, if you know of NEW
places, facilities or businesses that hikers should know about, or if you have any information about changes with previously existing ones (i.e. places going out of business, etc.) I'd like to know.

There are sections of the Trail I haven't hiked since 2003 so any input from folks with more recent experience would be a great help here. I'd like the 2007 version of the Re-supply article to be the most complete one yet.

I can be reached at this address:

baltimorejack@hotmail dot com

Thanx in advance to anyone who has comments or sugestions; for those of you hiking in 2007, I hope to have this completely re-written and updated by the end of this year.

--Jack Tarlin
Hanover NH

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2006, 18:04
Baltimore Jack, that invaluable article went with me from Georgia to Maine. Thanks.

I have only two suggestions:

Walasi-Yi should be included as one of the few places where a maildrop is suggested as the food there is so expensive. (I didn't do any maildrops, but would do a small one there and at Fontana Dam if thru-hiking again.)

You might also make some mention of Dollar General stores as so many hikers re-supplied there at towns in the south.

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2006, 18:33
Thanx Tater, and congratulations on your trip!

I've said for years that hikers should send a box to Fontana Dam, unless they plan to hitch or get a ride to the bigger market in Robbinsville. The selection there isn't that great, it's overpriced, and if you happen to be the fourteenth hiker that arrives there that day, or you arrive late in the day, they might be cleaned out. Incidentally, hikers should remember that in addition to the General Store at the village in Fontana Dam, the Outfitter shop nearby also has such things as Mountain House dinners, quart bags of Gatorade, etc.

As for Walasi, I never really thought they were that overpriced considering how out of the way they are. No, you're not going to find 99 cent Liptons there, but on staples like PopTarts, candy bars, PopTarts, etc, I've always thought they were pretty reasonable, plus you don't need that much there anyway since they're only about 36 miles from the Hiawassee road. When you consider that the postage on a foodbox will be the better part of five bucks, I don't really think you'll save that much by sending food there. But whatever.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2006, 18:37
You're right about the postage, it would probably equal out. Walasi-Yi does have a good selection, Fontana Dam Village does not.

Hangman
10-29-2006, 22:35
I think i heard that the outfitters in port clinton has closed. Not sure if someone has bought an reopened or not.

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2006, 22:40
It has closed.

There is an enormous sporting goods store in nearby Hamburg (Cabela's) but other than footwear, it doesn't have much a thru-hiker would be interested in.

Pennsylvania and the mid-Atlanti states are kind of a void as far as Outfitters go, unless one goes way off the Trail.

Next year's hikers should re-assess ALL of their gear and clothing in Harpers Ferry which has an excellent Outfitter; the next decent store anywhere near the Trail isn't til you get to Kent, Connecticut.

MOWGLI
10-29-2006, 23:07
It has closed.

There is an enormous sporting goods store in nearby Hamburg (Cabela's) but other than footwear, it doesn't have much a thru-hiker would be interested in.

I donno Jack. I bought Frogg Toggs there and my daughter bought some Under Armour garments before our summer hike on the Northville Placid Trail. They actually have quite a few things a hiker could use.

A-Train
10-29-2006, 23:27
I 2nd the idea that a box to Walasi-yi is unecessary. I sent one on my hike as did almost everyone else. You pay a buck to pick it up, plus close to 10 bucks to mail it from the northeast. Considering you only need 3+ days to get to Hiawassee, buying at the shop seems easier. Of course if you're trying to bypass towns and hitching like Hiwasaee and Franklin, well sending a box is a good idea. I met a few folks who were going all the way to the NOC, trying to stay on trail.

Lastly, the hostel at Neels has a huge hikerbox full of discarded food which most of is totally good stuff.

tiamalle
10-30-2006, 00:44
I 2nd the idea that a box to Walasi-yi is unecessary. I sent one on my hike as did almost everyone else. You pay a buck to pick it up, plus close to 10 bucks to mail it from the northeast. Considering you only need 3+ days to get to Hiawassee, buying at the shop seems easier. Of course if you're trying to bypass towns and hitching like Hiwasaee and Franklin, well sending a box is a good idea. I met a few folks who were going all the way to the NOC, trying to stay on trail.

Lastly, the hostel at Neels has a huge hikerbox full of discarded food which most of is totally good stuff.A-Train if hikers are needing to supply in franklin,hitching isn't always nesessary.We run 3 free trips daily Mar/Apr
on a bus from Winding Stair,Wallace & Rock Gaps to Franklin and back.

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 01:25
Jack, thank you so much for your planned thorough update to this article. I have no doubt it will be the best ever. And thank you for putting all this information together in the first place. Seriously, it was the single most helpful thing I found during my research for my hike.

I will sit down with your article and the notes I jotted down in my guidebook and I will get back to you more privately with my thoughts, experiences and suggestions for updates.

For any future thru-hikers, please make note of the article we are talking about here, and plan to be on the lookout for the updated version before you leave! It is invaluable!

Webs
10-30-2006, 10:57
yes, thank you soooooooo much for your articles and taking time to make them accurate and detailed!!!!!!! :D

can't think of any updates for teh section i did this summer (springer-hot springs), except reiterating the small selection of food at NOC.....

DawnTreader
10-30-2006, 11:18
Jack,
Just wanted to thank you for your resupply articles.. It was invaluable on my hike, albeit a section, and I continue to study it and plan for my thru..
Keep on keepin' on....Peace DT