PDA

View Full Version : backpack fit??

happyhunter
10-28-2006, 21:01
I am looking at Osprey backpacks (the Aether 60 or 70). They spec the small fits up to 18" torso, and Med fits from 18" up to 20.5. I am 18 inch torso, right on the line. Which size backpack would fit me best??

Thanks for the advice!!

Phreak
10-28-2006, 21:36
I'd recommend going with the medium.

chemist
10-28-2006, 22:22
Also, the latest model of the Aether series are only available in Medium and Large. The cutoff for the two sizes is ~21 inches.

Gaiter
10-28-2006, 23:09
TRY IT OWN!!!
It doesn't matter if it fit someone else, even if they are the same height as you, find what fits you!
Especially if you are in a grey area where you can possibly use two different sizes!

ShakeyLeggs
10-28-2006, 23:45
I own a Osprey Cresent 70. Let me tell you first off it is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few. My second favorite the one the Osprey replaced would be my Dana.

Now where do you plan on buying your Osprey from? I would not mail order one. I would go to an outfitter that is certified in fitting Osprey packs. I see you are in York PA the closest out fitter to you that is certified is

Wildernest [CM]
161 Rohrerstown Rd.
Lancaster, PA 17603
USA
Phone: 717-291-5881

The second closest is

Wildware Backcountry [CM]
995 Peiffers Lane
Harrisburg, PA 17109
USA
Phone: 717-564-8008
www.wildwarebackcountry.com (http://www.wildwarebackcountry.com/)

The reason I am suggesting those 2 are because they have been trained by Osprey to fit their packs and they have the right equipment to fit them. As thickredhair say try it on. In my opinion you can't go wrong with an Osprey but they are a tad pricey. YMMV. I would not go the the EMS in the Park City MAll as they are not certified and don't have the fitting guage or the hipbelt oven.

Topcat
10-29-2006, 08:28
I didnt have my hip belt baked and in one trip, it seems to have self molded to my hips. I have the Aether 70 and to repeat what everyone else have said, it is the most comfortable pack i have ever owned. One other note, I am only 5'9" and was buying medium packs my whole life. When i got measured for this pack, my torso length was just over 21". All body and no legs i guess. Just goes to show, it is always important to measure.

chemist
10-29-2006, 08:28
I'd suggest going to Wildernest also - but I'm biased as I work there. We do stock both the Aether 60 and 70 and will custom mold the hip belt (not sure about what sizes we have in stock - best to call).

The EMS at Park City generally doesn't carry Osprey packs (only whatever they get in returns).

Mouse
10-29-2006, 11:22
Measurements are not infallible. The best thing to do is try both on, loaded with a significant amount of weight. See how they FEEL.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2006, 13:52
Another vote for driving to an outfitter and trying these on with something heavy inside before buying.

rainmaker
10-29-2006, 23:29
Just finished a section hike from Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry with my new Osprey 70. Wonderful pack. It fit perfectly and carried my average 35 # load comfortably. Best purchase I've made in a while.