PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of hike out of Bly Gap - late May

Penscal
05-09-2003, 19:16
Hi folks, will be on the trail May 30, 2003 with my son. Looking for folk's impression of what it was like to climb out of Bly Gap as compared to climbs like Tray Mt., Blood Mt., Amicola Falls approach to Springer, etc. Have hiked all of Georgia section (sometimes twice since 1979) but never did the Dick's Creek Gap approach to Bly Gap.

Any info on typical May 30th to June 5th weather info would be great. Will be hiking from Dicks Creek Gap to Bly Gap and beyond and then comping back to Dicks gap.

Always have loved to hike the trail, but I always get to the moment when I say to myself, "Why in the Hell am I doing this", then comes camp, night, fire, new friends, and it is all worth the effort.

Enjoy your trek.

Michael

aka Penscal

Happy
05-09-2003, 19:59
I have done the section from Dick's Creek Gap to Bly Gap and did not find it that tough although fairly all uphill. I understand that north of Bly Gap is really a climb and receives many complaints. The part I hiked is not as hard as Unicoi Gap to Dick's creek Gap and easier than Blood Mountain.

Penscal
05-09-2003, 20:15
Thanks for the info, One of my section hikes was from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Gap and then back, found it thoughtful at times (if you get my drift) but really compared to hikes lower than that it was tolerable, guess i was more in shape. Any thoughts on the tempature/weather from May 30th to juhe 5th, usually hike in September,
did one hike in July with budies from Helen Georgia, hotter then hell.

thanks Penscal

Happy
05-10-2003, 08:40
The temps in GA will be comparable with were you are at that time of the season. Check on weather.com for Blairsville, GA for a good indication. For the past two years we have been lucky to have some cool evenings until mid june but it seems this year is not to be one of them.

I am not sure how far you are going north of Bly Gap but that climb is preety tough. The climb from Dick's Creek to Bly Gap is just steady. Bly Gap is a great place to camp as well as Plumorchard Shelter...both great locations. Check out the topo map and you will see that NOBO is all gradual uphill.

Have a great trip!!

Israel
05-10-2003, 23:35
as others have said, the climb north out of Bly Gap is pretty rugged going over Sharp Top, but it is short, less than a mile if I recall correctly, probably more like 1/2 mile. That is the only bad part. It is a little rocky past muskrat creek shelter going towards standing indian, but the grade is not bad at all. Sharp Top is steep though.