PDA

View Full Version : lightweight tent with enough room

Frog
10-29-2006, 07:56
Looking for a tent with sit up space for when it rains and you cant sit out in the evening. I have tried single wall tents and sometimes they have to much condensation here in the south. I love the Zoid 1 but it does not have enough head room for sitting up. The golite trig 2 has the sit up space but does not hold up good in a wind storm like on Mount Rogers area. Any suggestions.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2006, 09:19
Tarptent Rainbow solo (http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html)and Six Moon Lunar solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36) come immediately to mind.

halftime
10-29-2006, 09:45
Tarptent Rainbow solo (http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html)and Six Moon Lunar solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36) come immediately to mind.

I have had my eye on the Lunar Solo also. It looks like a great tent. Does anyone have a review of this tent that has used extensively? I plan to use in the high desert areas as well so I am also concerned as to how well it resists wind and dust infiltration.

sourwood
10-29-2006, 10:13
I have used the Hubba both on a bike trip out west last year and hiking parts of the AT this year. I have been quite happy with it. It is freestading which is nice (but it can get away from you in windy conditions!). I also like the mesh body which allows you to "sleep under the stars". I tried to attach a photo view from the tent in New Mexico.

julie

Just Jeff
10-29-2006, 10:20
There's a Hubba Hubba for sale here on WB right now - $255, I think. I'd choose between that or a Henry Shire's tarptent if I were gonna buy another one. (Hubba Hubba is for two people....you didn't specify one-person.)

Halftime - check the BGT reviews of the Lunar Solo.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Lunar%20Solo/

Frosty
10-29-2006, 11:13
single wall tents have to much condensation
Zoid does not have enough head room for sitting up.
golite trig 2 does not hold up good in a wind How about the Comfort Inn in Abingdon? :D

halftime
10-29-2006, 18:51
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Lunar%20Solo/[/url]

Thanks! Good info.

fiddlehead
10-29-2006, 19:01
I've always liked the mega mid (black diamond) for a good roomy, high, tent thats very good in the wind although it's a bit heavy at 3 lbs. So, i made one out of sil nylon (had it professionally sewed ) and it weighs a little less than 2 lbs. good tent, room for 2,3 or 4 people (9'X9') inside and about 4 1/2' feet high. If you use a hiking stick to set it up, you need a homeade extension about 10" long as the pole doesn't go high enough.

humunuku
10-29-2006, 19:58
The double rainbow is great...I'm 6'3" and i can sit up in it fine...best tent i've ever owned

rik_uk3
10-29-2006, 21:46
The GoLite Hex 3 is very, very good, and I have no problem carrying it on its own, and if there are two of us, I take the nest insert as well:)

orangebug
10-29-2006, 22:12
Also have the double rainbow. My only concern would be that it would be too big in cold weather camping. As with any single wall tent, condensation can be an issue.

I hope to have the opportunity to test those thoughts out.

LostInSpace
10-29-2006, 22:14
I've always liked the mega mid (black diamond) for a good roomy, high, tent thats very good in the wind although it's a bit heavy at 3 lbs. So, i made one out of sil nylon (had it professionally sewed ) and it weighs a little less than 2 lbs. good tent, room for 2,3 or 4 people (9'X9') inside and about 4 1/2' feet high. If you use a hiking stick to set it up, you need a homeade extension about 10" long as the pole doesn't go high enough.

The Black Diamond Mega Lite is silnylon and weighs 1.9 lbs. It comes with a "Pole Link Converter, a burly nylon wrap with a Velcro-like closure system for combining trekking or ski poles into a single, central Mega Light pole."

Footslogger
10-29-2006, 22:31
I'd have to second the motion for the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo-e. Twenty-three ounces is pretty hard to beat for walls and a floor. Easy to set up and plenty of room inside for you and your backpack.

'Slogger

EMAN
10-30-2006, 20:15
I am 6'1", 300 lbs. I have a Big Sky Summit 2P. Around 3.5 lbs with 2 doors, 2 vestibules. Freestanding. Goes up fast. OK in the rain, haven't been in any huge windstorms yet.

trlhiker
10-30-2006, 21:05
How about the Comfort Inn in Abingdon? :D

Been there, done that. My wife will talk me into hotels over tents if the weather is iffy. She has those puppy dog eyes that melt me.:o

DrewNC2005
10-31-2006, 15:09
I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 for sale that may be to your liking. Not sure if it's what you're looking for...

cannonball
10-31-2006, 15:40
I'd have to second the motion for the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo-e. Twenty-three ounces is pretty hard to beat for walls and a floor. Easy to set up and plenty of room inside for you and your backpack.

'Slogger

I'll third that. I love mine and it packs down really small.

DGrav
10-31-2006, 16:57
If you are interested in a 2 person tent like the Hubba Hubba check out the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.

It is about the same over all size and weight as the Hubba Hubba but it is slightly longer (and slightly narrower). At 6'3" my head and feet pushed both ends of the Hubba Hubba but just barley touched the ends of the Skyledge.

Plus the vestibules are slightly bigger.

The real selling point for me was ease of setup. Much quicker and easier than the Hubba Hubba. IMHO

vipahman
10-31-2006, 18:15
Lunar Solo E user here! I love it and highly recommend it. I also use the Hex 3 for 2+kid camping. Neither tent is free-standing. Other than that I have only positive things to say. Both are ultralight tents. The Lunar packs really small. The Hex 3 isn't far behind. The Hex 3 is modular and can be purchased with a floor and/or bug nest separately. Both will handle 4-season camping along the AT.

Jim Adams
11-01-2006, 01:44
i have solo tents (hubba-it's great), two person tents, and four person tents for canoeing but if you want room and light weight get a 10x10 sil tarp, less than a pound, and learn how to set it up. the combinations are endless and i have weathered some very severe wind and rain and stayed completely dry and comfortable, has enough room for 1, 2, or more and you can stand up with some configurations. bugs? use deet. i used a tarp in 1990 and also 2002 for both of my thru hikes and all told only had bugs bad enough to use deed for a hand full of nights.
geek

vaporjourney
11-01-2006, 16:08
I'd recommend the Tarptent Rainbow if you are over 6' tall, since I've read the layout of the Lunar Solo leaves a bit to be desired for tall men. I've never laid in one, but this info led me to get a Rainbow instead. Also look into the Tarptent Contrail. It's half a pound lighter than the rainbow, doesnt have the arch pole so its probably easier to set up, but with less headspace, but still plenty of usable room i'm sure. browse around www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) great products, and even better customer service.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-01-2006, 16:46
The Contrail is an excellent tent for those not concerned with head-room, but the original poster specifically said he wants to be able to sit up. This would be impossible in a Contrail

hshires
11-01-2006, 17:31
The Contrail is an excellent tent for those not concerned with head-room, but the original poster specifically said he wants to be able to sit up. This would be impossible in a Contrail

It's not at all true that you can't sit up in a Contrail. The Zoid 1 is really short at 34" peak height. The Contrail, by comparison has a peak height of 45" and is certainly adjustable upwards if need be. Like the Zoid, you can't sit up in the middle of the Contrail, but you can definitely sit up towards the front. Does it have as much headroom as the Rainbow? No way but it's adequate unless the user is really quite tall (6'2" + )

-H

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-01-2006, 18:22
I stand corrected. The two times I've seen the Contrail set up, the peak was no where near 45" - maybe 36".

hshires
11-01-2006, 18:52
Peak height is adjustable with a trekking pole. It's designed for a 45" front pole--we carry 45" poles for the Contrail and Squall 2--but it can go higher or lower to suit conditions or occupants. Sounds like you saw it lowered with a trekking pole.

-H

oliander
11-02-2006, 17:23
Another vote for the Mega Lite. You can sit multiple people inside that thing! Amazing, considering how light it is.

I am fed up with my Tarptent because it is completely impossible to sit halfway up without touching the (single) wall and inviting drippies.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-02-2006, 17:33
Oliander, which model tarptent do you have?