PDA

View Full Version : I'm a tinker

VictoriaM
10-29-2006, 16:21
Or I'm going to look like one, anyway. I finally put my pack together. I packed every last thing I'll be bringing (minus the clothes on my back) including a full platy and five days worth of food. The only thing that wasn't packed was my fuel, just the empty bottle. The pack weighed 25 pounds. I'm feeling quite pround about that. Unfortunately, because it's a 2750 a good amount of gear has to be strapped to the outside. It's rather unkempt looking.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/RoseUndine/Image039.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/RoseUndine/Image041.jpg

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2006, 16:28
That's a great start!

One word to the wise: If you're going to have that much stuff outside your pack all the time, make sure that you have a way to keep the stuff that needs to stay dry, DRY (like your fleece or whatever. ) Otherwise, you'll be a very unhappy camper at day's end. Also, stuff that hangs outside your pack
unfortunately has a way of falling off, and very often, the hiker isn't aware that this has happened, so make sure whatever is on the outside is SECURE.
Losing a sandal or bandana or something can be dealt with, but finding out at day's end that you no longer have a tarp or raincoat is a real pain in the ass.

Pokey2006
10-29-2006, 16:33
I personally think that if someone ends up with too much stuff hanging outside the pack, it might be wise to consider a larger pack. Or to re-evaluate what you really need and what you don't need. Because too much stuff OUTSIDE the pack indicates that it's not a good match for the other gear you have picked out.

I agree, looks like a good start! Keep at it and you will get it exactly right -- for you.

VictoriaM
10-29-2006, 16:51
Eh, when I take the jacket off the back it doesn't look nearly so bad. It's a rather bulky jacket. Some of the stuff is outside of the pack because I want it on the outside, not because of lack of space. The tent, for instance (in the red sack) is there for my own convenience, as is my filter (in the SR bag, and not secured as well as it is while I'm hiking). The only thing I really have a problem with right now is the z-rest. I'm pretty sure I need it, but I hate having it hanging off the side like that. I've got some shuffling to do.

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2006, 17:05
VM:

Actually, lots of folks have their mattress outside their packs, especially the folding kind. As long as it's securely in place and not flopping around, you should be fine. But definitely make sure your tent/poles whatever are extra secure. Almost all tent sacks have a loop-cord at the top; you might want to get a small carabinier or something similar to run thru that loop and then attach it to your pack somehow; that way, if your tent or whatever manages to get loose from however it's strapped to your pack, you'll have a back-up
system. I know it sounds crazy to imagine that your tent could fall off without your noticing or hearing it, but I've seen it happen.

VictoriaM
10-29-2006, 17:06
Same views without the jacket, and slightly shuffled:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/RoseUndine/Image043.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/RoseUndine/Image044.jpg

MOWGLI
10-29-2006, 17:28
Looks good. Is that a 22 oz fuel bottle? If it is, you could cut that in half with an 11 oz. 11 ounces is plenty for the solo hiker. I use 11 an ounce bottle for 5 day trips with my daughter.

ScottP
10-29-2006, 17:30
You should be in good shape. I assume that you'll trim off gear as you figure out what you want/don't want and as the weather warms up.

VictoriaM
10-29-2006, 17:36
It is a 22oz bottle. I'll probably be switching to a 16oz peroxide bottle (a great idea I got from my local trail buddy) now that I have an alcohol stove. I want a little extra fuel, because I know I'll want hot coffee in the morning and a hot dinner most nights, at least while the weather is still cold. As for trimming, I'll be sending home some winter gear as it warms up, but the rest of my stuff is pretty spare. The only luxury items I'll have with me will be an iPod and some stationary.

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2006, 17:48
Ya know Boston, I could be wrong, but VM just might have a better idea of what's in there than you do. :rolleyes:

Gaiter
10-29-2006, 18:10
Also w/ having all the stuff esp the folding pad on back, check to make sure your rain cover will cover it all. I made that mistake, it was big enough length wise, but it couldn't cover the width w/ the pad on back.

An advantage to having the folding pad straped like it is on your second set of photos is that it will help prop up your pack, so you don't have to lean it against a tree or lay on the ground.

VictoriaM
10-29-2006, 18:29
That's a good point about the rain cover, but I don't have one. I have one of those giant ponchos that covers both the hiker and the pack. It's really lightweight, too.

One thing I don't have is a pack liner. I guess I'm not understanding what the use of one is...can someone enlighten me?

VictoriaM
10-29-2006, 18:31
Boston, I'd be happy to let you weight it youself, but we're probably not near enough for that! It's definitely 25, though. I'm crazy into ultralight.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2006, 18:32
Put everything inside a heavy-duty lawn debris or trash compactor bag inside of your pack to keep everything dry. (Don't waste money on a commercial pack liner that wears out fast.)

Gaiter
10-29-2006, 21:41
if you find that your stuff is still getting wet, you might want to get a big trash bag, (cheap & replaceable) put it inside your pack then put everything in your pack in the trash bag thats now in your pack. Just another technique to keep your stuff dry.

springerfever
10-29-2006, 21:46
Yep, a trash compactor bag is very strong and kinda stretchy. It will last a lot longer than a regular trash bag.

Since you have swapped over to the alcohol stove, you can totally ditch the Sigg bottle. Any super-lightweight water bottle will work just fine....10-12 ounce ....just make sure to mark it well as FUEL !!

I use a poncho as raingear also and between that and the liner, you should have no problem with keeping your gear dry. I use a Integral Designs which has some neat features, but any of them will do. A short length of stretch cord around your waist can keep the poncho from billowing in windy conditions.

Lastly, have you considered Aqua-Mira for water treatment ? Save yourself another 8-12 ounces over the filter and easy to use once you get a routine down......

VictoriaM
10-29-2006, 23:06
Thanks for the tip on the liner. I'll definitely look into getting one.

I've thought about Aqua-Mira or something similar for water treatment, but a) I really like my filter, and weight isn't really an issue at this point and b) I don't like the idea of having to wait a half hour or however long it takes before I can drink, especially because I tend to overheat easily in summer, and need to drink constantly. It's just not worth the weight loss for me, with my pack being so light already.

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 00:33
Thanks for the tip on the liner. I'll definitely look into getting one.

I've thought about Aqua-Mira or something similar for water treatment, but a) I really like my filter, and weight isn't really an issue at this point and b) I don't like the idea of having to wait a half hour or however long it takes before I can drink, especially because I tend to overheat easily in summer, and need to drink constantly. It's just not worth the weight loss for me, with my pack being so light already.

I was all about taking my filter too until I did a 8 day hike on the LT. Before the hike I switched from my 16+ oz filter to Aqua Mira. Only once did I drink water that was a little cloudy. More from the acid in the soil than anything else. Waiting was never an issue. I'll use the filter in Ohio where the water is not as clean, but in the mountains on the AT I'm a aqua convert.

But you will figure out what works for you.

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 01:32
Yes, what's important is what works for YOU.

But one more option: one of those squeezable water bottles, with the filter right in the bottle. I used one the whole way for my drinking water -- no need to wait 30 minutes before drinking -- then used Aqua Mira as added protection for anything really dicey. Just another thing you can consider, if you want to.

I still wonder if there's a better pack for you, something that will work well for that weight range, but will fit all your gear inside? Have you thought about one of the Granite Gear packs? A lot of people, myself included, swear by the Vapor Trail, which works the balls under 30 pounds. There's a women's version of it now, too. Just another thing to consider.

I know, so many things to think about! But enjoy this phase -- the planning and gear gathering and anticipation is all part of the fun.

mweinstone
10-30-2006, 09:53
im going to give you a tip. put stakes,screenz and other flat things inside the folds of the ridge rest. mine holds my clickstand, stakes,screenz and chopstix. no it wont fall out. ever. and it wont make the pad thicker at all. its just the greatest tip since i invented all gore!

peter_pan
10-30-2006, 10:20
It is a 22oz bottle. I'll probably be switching to a 16oz peroxide bottle (a great idea I got from my local trail buddy) now that I have an alcohol stove. I want a little extra fuel, because I know I'll want hot coffee in the morning and a hot dinner most nights, at least while the weather is still cold. As for trimming, I'll be sending home some winter gear as it warms up, but the rest of my stuff is pretty spare. The only luxury items I'll have with me will be an iPod and some stationary.

A plastic water bottle maked fuel is fine for alcohol and lighter too.

Pan

Gaiter
10-30-2006, 10:59
A plastic water bottle maked fuel is fine for alcohol and lighter too.

Pan

Umm, just speaking from personal experience (unfortunatly), nalgenes aren't good for alcohol, get a bottle that you would never drink out of, then label the **** out of it, and re-label it again and again as it wears off. http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=157473 I now use a mt dew bottle, becuase i never drink soda, and its bright green.

billdnc
10-31-2006, 09:53
That looks like the way my son's pack did when he started his through last year in Maine. Within a month the pack was repaced with a 2500 cu model, the pad was cut down to 40 in., the fuel container was a 12 oz plastic bottle, no tent, just a sil fly, mini zen stove, small droper bottle of flavored clorox, minimal clothes etc.
It looks like you are off to a good start.

maxNcathy
11-02-2006, 18:07
Victoria, Now I know your secret. May I call you TinkerBelle? Hope to see you on the trail next spring, Sandalwood/Max

Skidsteer
11-02-2006, 19:19
That looks like the way my son's pack did when he started his through last year in Maine. Within a month the pack was repaced with a 2500 cu model, the pad was cut down to 40 in., the fuel container was a 12 oz plastic bottle, no tent, just a sil fly, mini zen stove, small droper bottle of flavored clorox, minimal clothes etc.
It looks like you are off to a good start.

Flavored chlorox??

ScottP
11-03-2006, 01:17
Someone told me that using spring rain clorox instead of normal bleach to treat your water is a horrible idea--it makes the water taste horrid.

SGT Rock
11-03-2006, 02:33
Using any scented bleach is a bad idea. The scent stuff that is put into them is not good for human consumption. Bleach is also often not even used in the correct amounts by hikers to properly treat anyway. Not to get into a long explanation, but (per CDC and FEMA instructions) you add the drops per quart. Wait 30 minutes. Then smell. If you cannot smell bleach in the water then you have to add more. Wait 30 minutes. Then smell again. If you still cannot smell bleach in the water you are supposed to toss it as the water is too messed up for a safe amount of bleach.

Basically you have to make the bleach smell and taste a part of you water if you use it or it isn't working.

Aqua mira or Iodine is much easier.

And as for filters - recent investigation into the pump users recommendations finds that MSR, Pur, and others all say their filters do not protect against viruses. That you have to chemical treat anyway to kill those.

Dancer
11-03-2006, 10:09
May I call you TinkerBelle? Hope to see you on the trail next spring, Sandalwood/Max[/quote]

I think that Victoria may have just picked up a trailname!!

maxNcathy
11-03-2006, 10:51
May I call you TinkerBelle? Hope to see you on the trail next spring, Sandalwood/Max

I think that Victoria may have just picked up a trailname!![/quote]

Hi Amazonwoman, Julie. How did You get your trailname/handle??
I am sure you decided to go SOBO for good reason but too bad you were not heading North with us.I hope your hike goes great for you.Sandalwood

Dancer
11-03-2006, 11:50
Hey Sandalwood!

I actually just picked amazonwoman as a handle for this sight. I'm tall and big built so it just sort of came to me. I'm open to a new one once I hit the trail.

I'm going South because I want the solitude. I'm not a social butterfly and sometimes find social situations more stressful than enjoyable. I'm hiking to get away from my computer, phone, alarmclock and everyday grind. I grew up exploring the woods and look forward to getting back to that, just me and the trees. I am planning to be at the SORUCK, Trail Days and the ATC thing next year in NJ. I'll probably make it to the gathering as well.

Good luck with your hike and I hope our paths cross somewhere next year.

Amazonwoman

1Pint
11-03-2006, 12:53
The pack weighed 25 pounds.

Hi Victoria.
I'd love to get my pack down to 25lbs. Do you mind sharing what's in your pack? I feel like I've got just the minimum, but I can obvioulsy cut more out 'cause my pack's about 10 pounds heavier.
Thanks,
Laura

Undershaft
11-04-2006, 11:33
Just a thought to share concerning drinking bottles and fuel bottles. Labeling a fuel bottle won't help in the dark. I've read many stories of hikers taking a big swig of stove fuel in the middle of the night. What works for me: Water only goes in wide mouth containers, fuel always goes in a narrow mouth container. No chance of confusing the two since you can instantly tell what is in a bottle based on the size of the cap.

VictoriaM
11-05-2006, 18:49
I use a platypus, so there's nothing to get confused.