PDA

View Full Version : BPL Rainsuit?

bigmontana
10-30-2006, 12:32
Has anyone here used the 10oz rain suit from backpacking light?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/drop_stoppers_rain_gear.html

I'm wondering about the durability of this suit and also the effectiveness.

I have a nice Columbia suit I use that's about 2 lbs total. I was hoping to shave off some of those ounces with this suit. I don't like ponchos... I'm tall and the undergrowth soaks my legs/shoes if I use one. I also find that they slow me down a bit.

Just Jeff
10-30-2006, 12:42
I've used it. It's about like Frogg Toggs, only a bit less durable. And a lot less expensive.

I haven't been in a downpour in them, but in short storms and drizzles it kept me dry. I snagged the leg on a stump on my first trip...tore a ~2" hole, but duct tape on the inside fixed it up nicely.

My plan right now is to bring the pants and a Packa. The 6.5 oz DropStoppers jacket and a 3 oz pack cover are close to the 11 oz Packa, and I get better ventilation, more durability, and a stiffened brim (though I'll usually wear a rain hat instead of the hood).

But why pay 10 oz for pants when the 4.5 oz will do fine? And at $16, I can buy 3 of these for the cost of one set of Toggs.

But as you said, they're not very durable. And I hear that if the butt doesn't fit you well they might rip...be sure to get the right size.

Kerosene
10-30-2006, 12:53
I bought a pair for my daughter. I don't think that I'd rely on them for more than a few weeks of backpacking, and then only on a cleared trail. But at the BPL member's price of $17 you can easily afford to replace every hike.

rswanson
10-30-2006, 18:21
They're great for non-bushwhack hiking. They'll tear eventually, but for the price, who cares? And, as noted by another poster, just duct tape the tear. Breathability is excellent. Moderate hiking in 60-70 degree temps produced no major condensation. For the price and the weight, they're my choice, unless I was thru-hiking. For that, I might go with a Precip or other Goretex option.

Flaws other than the durability: the ill-fitting hood. Don't expect much here. It has no brim and doesn't cinch all that well. I supplement the hood with a Nike Dri-fit visor to keep rain off of my face.

Just Jeff
10-30-2006, 19:09
Yep - I carry an OR Nimbus Sombrero rain hat and just roll the hood under. I'd cut it off, but I want a backup in case I lose the hat...it's worth the .25 oz or so that the hood probably weighs.