PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for a week's hike

TommyJohn
10-30-2006, 12:54
We are hiking for a week in May, I just wanted any input on preparing phyiscally. For the most part, I know what I have to do to get in shape, but what about eating habits? Do you change your diet in preparation for the hike? If so, what is recommended to eat? More peanuts and less Big Macs?

Gaiter
10-30-2006, 13:02
there are many threads on this subject, check out the general, straight forward, health & saftey, and also look at the released articles.

Peaks
10-31-2006, 09:43
There is no need to do any preparation whatsoever. You are going for a walk, not running a marathon.

The better physical shape you are in, the more you will enjoy your hike.

How to get in shape? There was an article in Backpacker Magazine about getting in shape for hiking. Other than that, get out and away from the computer. If you are out of shape then start walking. If you are in moderate shape, then do more strenous walking, like stair climbs and carrying a pack loaded with books. Actually almost any exercise that you do that works your lower body and gets your heart rate up is going to help.

ScottP
11-01-2006, 12:56
Run, break in your hiking shoes, and enjoy 'real' food.

Mother's Finest
11-01-2006, 13:22
I gain more cardio and power in my legs when I train with a loaded pack. Books, rocks, whatever you need to load up with.

I have found that my endurance when running increases after training with a loaded pack.

peace
mf