PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a smell resistant shirt

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 12:56
I read somewhere on WB but can't find it now about a smell resistant synethic shirt. I think it used a silver blend to help with the smell. Does anyone know what they are called or have a link to them?

refreeman
10-30-2006, 13:11
An Arc'teryx Rho LT Zip Neck Top is the ideal foundation for backcountry travelers. Made with Arc'teryx's amazing attention to detail the Rho is designed for year ‘round use a moisture moving baselayer. Signature details like a laminated chest pocket and no-lift underarm gussets, that let you raise your arms without your shirt going for a ride, are the product of an uncompromising dedication to outdoor clothing. Something that you won't see is the application of silver to the fabric to eliminate funk from the fibers. You will appreciate this after days on the trail and it's a good reason to buy your backpacking buddy a Rho too.
Regularly $88.95

Gaiter
10-30-2006, 13:15
add a little clorox2 to your wash, it will help get rid of the smell, no point in worring about smelling while hiking, just don't inhale to deeply when around other hikers, or if ya lift up your arms.

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 13:20
add a little clorox2 to your wash, it will help get rid of the smell, no point in worring about smelling while hiking, just don't inhale to deeply when around other hikers, or if ya lift up your arms.

I'm not a fan of bleach. On my last hike my smartwool top that I wore daily didn't have a noticable smell after a few days of use. My synthic shirt I wore to sleep had a funk after one night. The short sleve shirt I hiked in had a funk that I could live without after a couple days.

I was looking at smartwool shirts, but wanted to find something cheaper.

Gaiter
10-30-2006, 13:35
i guess i should clarify sorry for not speicfing earlier... for my synthetics i add a little clorox2 (color safe bleach) and i don't use a lot, just a little.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-30-2006, 13:49
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=245358&postcount=37
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=244286&postcount=13

As for de-stinking my synthetics - presoaking 30 minutes in Oxyclean before washing gets most of it out.

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 14:08
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

weary
10-30-2006, 14:24
I read somewhere on WB but can't find it now about a smell resistant synethic shirt. I think it used a silver blend to help with the smell. Does anyone know what they are called or have a link to them?
No. But I find that ordinary cotton is both inexpensive and very smell resistant. During the summer hiking season it is also the most comfortable shirt.

Weary

max patch
10-30-2006, 14:28
No. But I find that ordinary cotton is both inexpensive and very smell resistant. During the summer hiking season it is also the most comfortable shirt.

Weary

Weary is correct.

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 14:31
Good points on cotton. I am looking for the other 3 seasons right now. Plenty of cotton shirts in the dresser.

Footslogger
10-30-2006, 14:35
Whichever one(s) you end up with please let us know the outcome after the shirt(s) have been used. I have yet to find any shirt of any material that does not retain and regain odor, even after thorough washing.

'Slogger

khaynie
10-30-2006, 14:37
Weary,

I agree with you on a cotton shirt being the most comfortable to wear; however, the only problem w/ it that I see is that it takes forever to dry. That's why I like having a synthetic to hike in and a cotton T to lounge around in at camp.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-30-2006, 14:45
I wear a washable silk shirt (mens) during the summer. It is more comfortable than cotton for me, doesn't get too stinky and drys quickly.

Lanthar Mandragoran
10-30-2006, 15:07
Duofold makes a, relatively, inexpensive wool shirt (Campmor occasionally has them on sale).

Duluth Trading (www.duluthtrading.com) also makes one that I plan on getting. It has the bonus of having integral thumb holes...

PJ 2005
10-30-2006, 16:17
I've never seen a shirt that didn't smell after a few days of hiking... luckily the people around you are in the same boat!

Footslogger
10-30-2006, 16:24
I've never seen a shirt that didn't smell after a few days of hiking... luckily the people around you are in the same boat!
=============================

Amazing too, that when you wash them the odor fades but withing a hour or so of hiking it returns ...with a vengance !!

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-30-2006, 16:29
The smell is from bacteria breaking down sweat. Normal washing does not kill the bacteria, but bleach, bleach alternative and oxyclean will kill most of them.

Footslogger
10-30-2006, 16:31
The smell is from bacteria breaking down sweat. Normal washing does not kill the bacteria, but bleach, bleach alternative and oxyclean will kill most of them.
===================================

Tried em all ...and still IT returns.

IT LIVES !!

'Slogger

max patch
10-30-2006, 16:32

Tried em all ...and still IT returns.

IT LIVES !!

'Slogger

This could be a Seinfeld episode.

Never mind, it already was.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-30-2006, 16:37
Slogger has MRSA - multiple resistant stink affliction

peter_pan
10-30-2006, 16:40
Smart wool still beats synthetics for lack of odor retention/incubation...IMHO

Pan

Palmer
10-30-2006, 16:44
I agree that wool shirts are the best for comfort and reduced odor. However, they seem somewhat fragile - I put my thumb through a Smartwool shirt while trying to pull it down from under my pack. I've got a lot of EMS Techwick shirts that I find pretty comfortable.

Footslogger
10-30-2006, 16:45
Slogger has MRSA - multiple resistant stink affliction
===============================

It has a name !! ...now I can deal with it !!

'Slogger

Dancer
10-30-2006, 17:09
My dad and brother are hunters and get hunter's catalogs. I remember seeing odor resistant undies and shirts in these catalogs. I went to www.cabelas.com (http://www.cabelas.com) and saw a few things there. It's a hunter's outfitter but there are things of interest there for us. Check it out.

Tipper
10-30-2006, 19:48
I wore shirts from Ibex (Woodstock, VT). They may seem pricey to begin with, but if you wear it everyday for several months the cost gets amortized quite quickly! I would frequently rinse the shirt in a creek or other water source, wring it out, and put it back on, even when it got cool. The wool warmed up nicely. They sell shirts that are as thin as synthetics. I must say that mine wore like iron! Even when I didn't wash/rinse it for days (never used soap until town stops), the smell came from ME, not the shirt.

Jack Tarlin
10-30-2006, 20:08
And no, I did not get this one from Lone Wolf:

Those looking for stink-resistant shirts and those who stink might be interested in this

http://www.thoseshirts.com/hippies.html

weary
10-30-2006, 21:52
Anything wool. Avoid synthetics at all cost if you don't like smell. Or just deal with the smell. Polypropilines are particularly smelly. In order of least smelly to more smelly:
wool
cotton
synthetics
People who work in sweaty jobs outside on a regular basis. almost unanimously as near as I can tell use cotton underwear and cotton work shirts. The nearest town with stores to my home is an industrial town that builds most middle-sized navy ships. The stores that cater to their needs sell mostly cotton for use winter and summer.

Wise hikers will learn from this and ignore the ads of those who would sell clothes based on fads and advertising.

FWIW. I've worn cotton summer and winter all my life. I've yet to find a 100 percent cotton tee shirt that stunk after being washed in ordinary detergent, regardless of how many days I may have worn it -- either on trails or working.

Weary

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 22:12
A smell-resistant shirt? For a thru-hiker, it doesn't exist!

Skidsteer
10-30-2006, 22:20
People who work in sweaty jobs outside on a regular basis. almost unanimously as near as I can tell use cotton underwear and cotton work shirts. The nearest town with stores to my home is an industrial town that builds most middle-sized navy ships. The stores that cater to their needs sell mostly cotton for use winter and summer.

Wise hikers will learn from this and ignore the ads of those who would sell clothes based on fads and advertising.

FWIW. I've worn cotton summer and winter all my life. I've yet to find a 100 percent cotton tee shirt that stunk after being washed in ordinary detergent, regardless of how many days I may have worn it -- either on trails or working.

Weary

I must disagree, Weary.

I've worked outside my entire life( so far ). Nearly everything I wore until maybe age 25 was cotton.

Synthetics are cooler in summer and warmer in winter. And lighter to boot. And they dry faster. And they last longer.

It's not even a contest. Except they stink. :D

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 22:24
Day hikes, I'm all about cotton. However, when you're thru-hiking, or long distance hiking, cotton is a huge pain. It takes FOREVER to dry. And you don't have forever. You need stuff that can dry overnight while stuffed in a ball at the foot of your tent, or in 30 minutes in the early morning sun while you're sipping your coffee. Even the thinnest cotton won't do that.

So who cares if it smells better if it's soaking wet when you put it on every morning?

Mountain Man
10-30-2006, 22:42
I must disagree, Weary.

I've worked outside my entire life( so far ). Nearly everything I wore until maybe age 25 was cotton.

Synthetics are cooler in summer and warmer in winter. And lighter to boot. And they dry faster. And they last longer.

It's not even a contest. Except they stink. :D

I agree with you Skids.
I've worn cotton all my life up to about 6 years ago. I found that synthetics was much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I own very little cotton clothes now.

weary
10-30-2006, 22:44
Day hikes, I'm all about cotton. However, when you're thru-hiking, or long distance hiking, cotton is a huge pain. It takes FOREVER to dry. And you don't have forever. You need stuff that can dry overnight while stuffed in a ball at the foot of your tent, or in 30 minutes in the early morning sun while you're sipping your coffee. Even the thinnest cotton won't do that.

So who cares if it smells better if it's soaking wet when you put it on every morning?
Well whiever started this thread asked about a shirt that didn't smell. I just gave her an answer. I rarely took my tee shirt off until I reached a laundromat. I wore it day and night, except for the occasional sunny day when I washed it in my pot, along with my socks and a bit of ivory soap, and dried them on the back of my pack.

The socks would take a full day to dry. But on blustery sunny days, my tee shirts would dry in 29 minutes or so -- an hour at the most.

Weary

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 22:46
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I didn't mean to start a big debate. I know everything smells some. Some materials hold smell better than others. I am just looking for the synethic or wool clothes that do not hold the smell.

I live in cotton clothes outside of hiking. Cotton just takes too long to dry in the field for my needs.

Weary by the way I am a him, not a her.

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 22:49
I do hope you found what you were looking for. Seems like there are lots of choices on the market.

Good luck with your hike next year!

Jim Adams
10-30-2006, 22:57
doufold does indeed make a set of polypro with silver in it and mine have worked well w/o stink. Price is cheap @ campmor. wash them before you wear them. my first time was unwashed and the fabric made my skin red as if i was wearing old school itchy wool. this did not happen after 1 washing.
geek

Cheesewhiz
10-30-2006, 23:40
I wore the same shirt from springer to katahdin every day while hiking and I think I could get a full nother through hike out of it, seriously. It has minimal wear, 1 small burn hole, no thread pulls and one small hole from getting pinched in my hipbelt buckle over and over, and absolutely no permanent odor. I still wear it all the time when riding my bike or hiking I do recoment the Mountain Hardware duration tee shirt.

Heater
10-31-2006, 00:31
===============================

It has a name !! ...now I can deal with it !!

'Slogger

Now, when you walk up on someone and they fan their face and say
"OH MRSA!" you will know what they mean. ;)

greentick
10-31-2006, 01:22
Love the synthetics for the already mentioned qualities. I have some duofolds that are 85/15% poly/cotton, much more comfortable. They still crank up the stink tho. I would wear cotton tees in the army and they would take a week to generate (unless you are wearing body armor) what an untreated synthetic can crank up in an hour or two. In my limited experience, any "treatment" the fabric has, be it silver or something else, is much improved over no treatment. My personal experiences:

Marmot silkweight long tops and bottoms with silver
Layers long top with silver
REI tech tee (I think) with antimicrobial treatment

I would hazard a guess that the stuff with silver integrated into the fabric would have a longer lifespan but I can't back this up with experience.

Cotton is king for casual and in the desert I've heard.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-31-2006, 07:25
Wonder if any company has considered using silver with a natural fiber - like cotton, silk or wool? Would seem to be the best of both worlds.

fiddlehead
10-31-2006, 07:48
There is a company called X-static. They are headquartered somewhere near Scranton PA. They patented a process used by NASA that incorporates silver thread into fabric because silver kills bacteria which causes stink.
My company tried to buy some fabric from them but turns out, they don't sell the fabric, just the silver and the patented process. You must prove to them that you will use this silver that you buy from them to their specs before they will sell it to you.
Anyway, we didn't buy it as we don't weave fabric and don't want to get into that. but it may be the answer to the question originally posted here.
My opinion is that if NASA uses it, they probably did much expensive research before reaching their decision and it possibly works.
We do sell some long underwear made from it but our supplier went out of business and we can't get anymore.
Good luck, i'll be following this thread to see if anyone finds it.

Footslogger
10-31-2006, 10:00
Wonder if any company has considered using silver with a natural fiber - like cotton, silk or wool? Would seem to be the best of both worlds.
==============================

If memory serves correctly, which is sometimes a challenge these days, I think that Mountain Hardware had a line of technical T-shirts that they marketed as having silver content.

I'm still pretty skeptical about ANY garments being touted as non-odor retaining. It's been my experience that some work better than others but they all backslide into stank mode with repeated use, regardless of the laundering technique.

'Slogger

RockyTrail
10-31-2006, 13:24
Just remember, when you finally notice the funk, your neighbors have been smelling it for 5 days:D

It's a subconcious self-denial thing

DGrav
10-31-2006, 17:02
I can not say enough good things about my Ibex-T.

The Echo-T is my favorite.

hammock engineer
10-31-2006, 17:20
I can not say enough good things about my Ibex-T.

The Echo-T is my favorite.

I think I am either going with an Ibex or a smartwool. I am not in a hurry and trying to see what end of season deals come around. I found a smartwool for $40. The Echo-T is this year's model the new one is the Qu T. I think if you consider the use I will get out of one shirt, the price isn't as big of a deal.

Peaks
10-31-2006, 17:22
Gee, the backside of our Philmont crew shirts had "Same Shirt Different Day" printed on them.

Ewker
10-31-2006, 19:42
has anyone ever used these shirts. It says "Base-layer apparel made of 100% polyester pique, anti-bacterial fabric that wicks away moisture, dries quickly and controls odors"

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=305640

ScottP
11-01-2006, 13:21
skin is very smell resistant--I didn't even carry a shirt for the last leg of the AT.

Dancer
11-01-2006, 13:58
skin is very smell resistant--I didn't even carry a shirt for the last leg of the AT.

great idea but it could get the ladies arrested and depending on the lady, other hikers might be traumitized...:p

Amazonwoman (don't worry, I'm keeping my shirt on:) )

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-01-2006, 14:21
skin is very smell resistant--I didn't even carry a shirt for the last leg of the AT.This would a dangerous practice for the female dino... she would likely step on her nipples and any youngsters that passed by would be traumatized by the preview of coming attractions.

hammock engineer
11-02-2006, 11:29
great idea but it could get the ladies arrested and depending on the lady, other hikers might be traumitized...:p

Amazonwoman (don't worry, I'm keeping my shirt on:) )

This would a dangerous practice for the female dino... she would likely step on her nipples and any youngsters that passed by would be traumatized by the preview of coming attractions.

Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning.

rusty075
11-02-2006, 14:37
I've had good luck with the EMS "techwick" shirts with the imbedded silver thread technology. Been using a pair of them (one short, one long sleeve) for a couple of years now. The long sleeve even has the little thumb holes at the cuffs to keep it from riding up. (Although when I first got it I thought the thumb holes were defects...I'm a bit slow sometimes)

They've got a lot going for them: They're cheap (ish) ~$20 for the t-shirt, ~$30 for the long sleeve, they're light, they dry fast, and they wear well.

The anti-stink stuff does work, but it's not a miracle. Compared to a conventional polypro shirt, when you've been wearing one of the techwick ones for 5 days you only smell like you've been wearing it for 3.

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-02-2006, 17:59

Hmmm... I need to get the wife to pick up some oxyxclean as some of my synth's are starting to stink after just a couple / few hours of NON-trail wear...

vaporjourney
11-03-2006, 16:48
I think I am either going with an Ibex or a smartwool. I am not in a hurry and trying to see what end of season deals come around. I found a smartwool for $40. The Echo-T is this year's model the new one is the Qu T. I think if you consider the use I will get out of one shirt, the price isn't as big of a deal.

where did u find the Smartwool tee for $40?

Does anyone have experience with both Smartwool and Ibex tees that can make a comparison between the two? I have some smartwool pants that I'm happy with, but have only used them on one trip. Can't tell how well they would hold up on a thru. Are Ibex shirts more durable, which is the only reason I would pay a significantly higher price than smartwool. Or perhaps the durability issue isn't really a problem with Smartwool products?

hammock engineer
11-03-2006, 16:56
Here is the links to a couple that I found. I only bookmarked the XL's since that is what I wear. There may be some other deals out there. These I found using google. Post any others that you find. I haven't ordered any of these yet, so don't buy all of them.

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Smartwool/idesc/Swoop+Tee+%2D+Men%27s+Closeout/Store/MG/item/112084/N/0

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&productId=48109320&parent_category_rn=22000304

I have ordered from Mountaingear and not had any problems. Although I get climbing magizenes and catologs in the mail.

vaporjourney
11-05-2006, 21:35
thanks for that hammock engineer. I wonder what sort of weight the long sleeve shirt is right here: http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/48109329.htm ? I'm looking for a midweight top I think, but this one isn't specified.

they also have the 'Bent' longsleeve on closeout at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bent-Crew-Mens-Closeout-Smartwool/dp/B000I6QR12

Footslogger
11-05-2006, 22:18
There are certain things I am willing to pay top dollar for ...and a T-shirt for hiking just isn't one of them. $40 for a shirt that gets smelly, but not quite as bad as others ??

That said, I am interested in a lightweight T-shirt that dries quickly and for that reason I do hike in ones made of synthetic material. But given the fact that they all stink after a while I opt for the $10 - 12 generic polypro T-shirts. I bought a handful of them from Campmor years ago and although they do develop odor again soon after use they do get the job done.

'Slogger

Jim Adams
11-06-2006, 04:32
just talked to Boudan this weekend and he was telling me about a new mid weight capaline top by Patagonia that he just purchased and he said that Patagonia has a printed warrenty on the package that the product is garanteed for life not to smell. may be worth checking out!
geek

ScubaDooba
11-06-2006, 12:56
Anyone ever try this?

http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Scent-Laundry-Detergent/dp/B000H0Y6RQ

Hunters use it to keep their clothes from getting odorous so animals can't detect them. You can pick it up at your local wal-mart or sporting goods store.

Footslogger
11-06-2006, 13:00
Anyone ever try this?

Hunters use it to keep their clothes from getting odorous so animals can't detect them. You can pick it up at your local wal-mart or sporting goods store.

I'm bettin that stuff wouldn't touch hiker stank !!

'Slogger

refreeman
11-06-2006, 17:45
There is a SmartWool Smart Tee - Men's at SAC right now if you want one.

Skidsteer
11-06-2006, 18:36
Anyone ever try this?

Yep.

It doesn't work any better than regular detergent + Boraxo and neither do any of the other similar hunter's detergents.

This stuff (http://elimitrax.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/mv_lg_sportwash.jpg) works as well as any and supposedly is ideal for synthetics(rinses clean). It can be found at Wal- Mart.

DGrav
11-07-2006, 09:13
The Echo-T is this year's model the new one is the Qu T. I think if you consider the use I will get out of one shirt, the price isn't as big of a deal.

The Echo-T and the Q-T are two different shirts, I have a couple of each. The Echo T is lighter and more fitted thant the Q. However the Ibex web site claims that the Q is the thinner of the two.

I think Ibex is out of stock on the Echo but you may be able to find them on backcountry.