PDA

View Full Version : Did Squeaky take the speed record?

White Chocolate
10-30-2006, 17:14
I moved out west after thru-hiking and lost touch with Squeaky's progress...can anyone help?

Lone Wolf
10-30-2006, 17:15
Nope. An injury while training forced him to put it off for another year.

bigmac_in
10-30-2006, 17:15
Record? There's a record?

Lone Wolf
10-30-2006, 17:16
Sure there is. 47 days.:)

mweinstone
10-30-2006, 17:24
nights sold seperatly. not available in some states. warning ! being squeeky may cause drowsiness.allways hike responsibly.

warren doyle
10-30-2006, 23:07
The question is, "Will Matt be a one-hit wonder?" (Triple Crown record-holder)

Cheesewhiz
10-30-2006, 23:30
who is this guy Squeeksy anyway, ooh thats right he hikes too fast to say hello. not my type of hikin partner but to each there own, right? Hike your own hike, thats what the weasel would say!

TJ aka Teej
10-30-2006, 23:38
Squeaky's a class act, you'll never hear him talking mean-spirited ***** about another hiker.

ed bell
10-30-2006, 23:42
The question is, "Will Matt be a one-hit wonder?" (Triple Crown record-holder) Actually, that could be considered a three-hit wonder.:D I wonder what it feels like to see all that pass before your eyes in a year?:-? Wonderful, I'm sure.:):sun

Squeaky 2
11-01-2006, 13:38
The question is, "Will Matt be a one-hit wonder?" (Triple Crown record-holder)

Been off line for a while, but thought I would check 'Whiteblazes' on my return, and guess what? Could have bet with someone you where still here talking the same loads of b*lls as before, get a life Doyle and move onto a different subject, kind of tired of your negativity:mad: , if Matthew aka Squeaky only holds the Triple Crown , a one hit wonder as you say, and by god don't we all listen to you..... NOT:rolleyes: , so freaking what, it is one hell of an achievement that you certainly will never hold.

Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it as we say and b*gger off I really am tired of your dissing my son.

Hello to all you good hikers, nice too be back.

Stef

Gray Blazer
11-01-2006, 13:41
Been off line for a while, but thought I would check 'Whiteblazes' on my return, and guess what? Could have bet with someone you where still here talking the same loads of b*lls as before, get a life Doyle and move onto a different subject, kind of tired of your negativity:mad: , if Matthew aka Squeaky only holds the Triple Crown , a one hit wonder as you say, and by god don't we all listen to you..... NOT:rolleyes: , so freaking what, it is one hell of an achievement that you certainly will never hold.

Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it as we say and b*gger off I really am tired of your dissing my son.

Hello to all you good hikers, nice too be back.

StefSpoken like a true mum.

Squeaky 2
11-01-2006, 13:41
Squeaky's a class act, you'll never hear him talking mean-spirited ***** about another hiker.

Cheers for that, never would you hear Squeaky diss anyone, always pleased with eveyone's achievements no matter how big or small. Nice to see you see that quality in him as well.

Stef his mum :) :)

Squeaky 2
11-01-2006, 13:43
Spoken like a true mum.

You Bet...... Always

Stef

StarLyte
11-01-2006, 14:00

YES he is!

Having the privilege to spend time with him at Blackburn made me realize that even more.

I know you are very proud of your son.

max patch
11-01-2006, 14:01
Stef, only a handful of people here pay attention to WD. Don't let him bother you.

warren doyle
11-01-2006, 14:13
Matt's Triple Crown calendar year record was, and still is, a wonderful accomplishment and if you check my past posts on this matter you will see I have always felt this way.

However, as to his over-confident insistence that he could walk the AT in under forty days, I feel comfortable in questioning this premise based on my knowledge of past AT record attempts. It was objective questioning on my part which some have interpreted subjectively. It makes me wonder whether it is the message and/or the messenger that these people are so upset about.

I will keep on questioning if Matt keeps on insisting that an under 40-day traverse of the entire AT is doable. As of now, if Matt's goal is stated the same way I will interpret/question it as I would interpret/question "Mission Accomplished!" (5/03) and "We are winning the war in Iraq." (10/06)

TJ aka Teej
11-01-2006, 16:22
get a life Doyle and move onto a different subject, kind of tired of your negativity:mad: , if Matthew aka Squeaky only holds the Triple Crown , a one hit wonder as you say, and by god don't we all listen to you..... NOT:rolleyes: , so freaking what, it is one hell of an achievement that you certainly will never hold.

Stef, please don't put too much weight on the jealous words of one lone self-proclaimed "expert on records". Matt is the only "expert" on Matt's hikes, and you're the only "expert" on Matt! Go Squeaky!:D

sherrill
11-01-2006, 17:03
I have not met or know you Mr. Doyle, with the exception of reading your posts and posts directed towards you, so I don't harbor a strong opinion of you or your accomplishments.

Having said that, I do have to say that from the tone of your first post in this thread, the idea that "Squeaky" could do the AT in less than 40 days irritates the hell out of you. I say that because the phrase "one hit wonder" is usually thrown as a backhanded compliment.

Would you care to elaborate?

ed bell
11-01-2006, 20:02
.... the phrase "one hit wonder" is usually thrown as a backhanded compliment......This is true. I've never seen the phrase used in a positive manner.

Matt's Triple Crown calendar year record was, and still is, a wonderful accomplishment and if you check my past posts on this matter you will see I have always felt this way.

However, as to his over-confident insistence that he could walk the AT in under forty days, I feel comfortable in questioning this premise based on my knowledge of past AT record attempts. It was objective questioning on my part which some have interpreted subjectively. It makes me wonder whether it is the message and/or the messenger that these people are so upset about.

I will keep on questioning if Matt keeps on insisting that an under 40-day traverse of the entire AT is doable. As of now, if Matt's goal is stated the same way I will interpret/question it as I would interpret/question "Mission Accomplished!" (5/03) and "We are winning the war in Iraq." (10/06)You tried to give Matt a compliment there, but it was lost in the sentements of the rest of your post.

The question is, "Will Matt be a one-hit wonder?" (Triple Crown record-holder) How about asking Matt if he still has the sub 40 AT attempt as a goal instead. I interpreted your question as being a bit condescending. Upset has nothing to do with it.

Skidsteer
11-01-2006, 20:23
This is true. I've never seen the phrase used in a positive manner.

The term as used sorta turned an 'objective' observation into a 'subjective' one.

warren doyle
11-02-2006, 07:12
In his post #993 (9/21/06 A.T. sub40 challenge thread), Matt states "still believe in myself and the team that we can smash 40 days."

I interpret this as exhibiting a lack of humility or his not fully comprehending the difficulty of this goal. I am also perplexed that it appears that Matt has not learned much from his first aborted attempt.

Does he really understand how hard the current AT record holder had it? Andrew Thompson accomplished the record after his fourth attempt (the most individual attempts ever). He had a giant 'monkey on his back' for motivation.

Pete Palmer, the previous record holder, was motivated by his desire to 'beat' the current record holder at that time. On evaluating his successful attempt, Mr. Palmer credited his support crew and the fact that he had only two days of rain the entire way as contributing to his success.

I react to someone saying he is going to "smash 40 days" the same way as I would react to a second-year professional baseball player, relying on only his first year home run production, saying that he is going to 'smash' Hank Aaron's home-run record. Or, a sprinter saying he is going to 'smash' 9.0 seconds in the 100.

Most long distance hiking endurance record holders I have talked to have said that one's attitude was an integral part of their success, although not as important as the sheer physicality of it all.

I feel that Matt would have a better chance of setting a new AT record if he stated that he would be content in shortening it by one hour instead of continuing to state that he is going to "smash 40 days."

Until my perception/prediction proves false, I will continue to question the logic of the latter.

sherrill
11-02-2006, 09:55
Fair enough, although I do still question your post asking if Matt will be "a one hit wonder". I consider that a cheap shot and given your stature in the hiking community I would think you above that.

Making boa****l claims in any athletic attempt is not unusual and in my experience acts to motivate oneself in completing the goal. "Smashing" may be just a term Matt has chosen for himself, or it might just simply be a British way of expression. In any case I don't see it as any more than youthful exuberance and not as meaning any offense towards those who have set previous records.

Squeaky 2
11-04-2006, 12:33
who is this guy Squeeksy anyway, ooh thats right he hikes too fast to say hello. not my type of hikin partner but to each there own, right? Hike your own hike, thats what the weasel would say!

Until you actually ask do not assume Squeaky talks to no-one, infact he takes alot of time when passing hikers to ask them about themselves and where they are going etc.