PDA

View Full Version : 2006 AT Failure Rate???

lobster
10-30-2006, 19:59
Have the numbers been calculated yet?

I love my Minnetonka!

Lone Wolf
10-30-2006, 20:02
Are those injun moccasins made in Korea?

Jack Tarlin
10-30-2006, 20:04
Yeah, I can think of at least one individual who absolutely failed in an attempt to complete a thru this year.

Maybe cuz he didn't leave his computer long enough to even start one.

This one's getting old, Lobster. You need to get out more.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-30-2006, 20:04
The only 2006 failures were trolls who never began :D

Lugnut
10-30-2006, 21:53
I'm sure there were many who intended to finish yet didn't for many reasons; some valid and some probably not. However, their hearts were in it, they tried. They weren't failures in my book. It's more than I got to do this year.

saimyoji
10-30-2006, 21:56
I'm sure there were many who intended to finish yet didn't for many reasons; some valid and some probably not. However, their hearts were in it, they tried. They weren't failures in my book. It's more than I got to do this year.

Don't even bother answering this thread seriously.

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 21:57
Definitly some trolling going on.

But since he asked the question. I heard RedneckRye say something that makes sense to me. Going to Springer, looking north, making that commentent to hike, and starting your journy is one of the hardest things you will do. Or something to that effect.

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 22:07
No, telling your daughter and your boyfriend that you won't see them for six months, then going in to tell your boss of six years (who you actually like) that you're quitting to go hike the AT, thereby potentially throwing away a promising career...those are the hardest things you'll ever do!

I am missing something on this thread...feel like a private joke is going on here. Bummer, because I am genuinely curious about the, um, success rate this year. It was a great year to hike.

handlebar
10-30-2006, 23:07
FWIW, I started on March 15 and after 3 weeks off trail in May to rehab hip tendonitis was number 456 in Harpers Ferry on June 24th and number 382 at Katahdin Stream on Oct 2. I didn't hike very fast (average hiking day a little oover 13 miles), but did see many of the people I'd hiked with in Maine. Judging from that, I'd say about 80% of those that made Harpers made it to big K.

hammock engineer
10-30-2006, 23:11
No, telling your daughter and your boyfriend that you won't see them for six months, then going in to tell your boss of six years (who you actually like) that you're quitting to go hike the AT, thereby potentially throwing away a promising career...those are the hardest things you'll ever do!

I am missing something on this thread...feel like a private joke is going on here. Bummer, because I am genuinely curious about the, um, success rate this year. It was a great year to hike.

I'm there with you, except I am putting off a job.

You are not missing anything here. The starter of this thread is a major troll. Look up some of the past threads he started and you'll see what I mean.

Pokey2006
10-30-2006, 23:59
Yeah, I was PM'd and filled in...it's still an interesting question, if it's going to be asked seriously!

Put off the job as much as you can. I walked away from mine, and looks like I might go back there with a promotion...let's hope, find out tomorrow.

freefall
10-31-2006, 02:21
"It will be generally found that those who sneer habitually at human nature and affect to despise it, are among its worst and least pleasant examples."

-- Charles Dickens

generoll
10-31-2006, 10:00
Well so much for cut and paste. Guess I'll have to type this one out. The quote is an old one and may have been used here before, but it is pertinent and always, in my mind, worth repeating and remembering.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

T. Roosevelt

wilderness bob
10-31-2006, 10:15
Who cares who failed, does it make a person feel better knowing this info? If so then that is a good description of a weak hiker.

IMHO, failure is not to try at all. Dream big and live life.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-31-2006, 10:28
Oh goody... this has become a quote thread. :D
Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience treacherous, judgment difficult. - Hypocrites

ZEKE #2
10-31-2006, 10:38
Thanks, Generoll. Excellent quote!

neo
10-31-2006, 10:40
The only 2006 failures were trolls who never began :D

you can say that again:cool: neo

lobster
10-31-2006, 18:28
Minnetonka makes trolling motors!

1happyhiker
10-31-2006, 19:31
troll.

-hh

neighbor dave
10-31-2006, 19:35
Have the numbers been calculated yet?

I love my Minnetonka!

:-? that's too easy! jus' ask how many blueblazed while enroute:jump :bse

K0OPG
10-31-2006, 20:22
life is not short!!! It is the longest thing any of us will do...so make the most of it.

If anyone attempted to thru, they are successes in my book. Some did not make it for different reasons; some personal, some physical, and I'm sure some mental. For whatever reason, at least they tried.

I spoke with someone who was going to thru but hiked from springer to HF. I didn't even think about asking why,...it didn't matter, I was just thrilled to hear about his hike and to ask so many questions in preparation for my hike next year.

Lobsters are best boiled right?!

Jack Tarlin
10-31-2006, 20:24
Actually, they're pretty fine baked and stuffed.

So, Lobster.....I suspect you're half-baked when you post here.

So now you can get stuffed! :D

Lone Wolf
10-31-2006, 20:26
That's pretty GD funny Jack.:) You drinkin? I am. Beer. A toast to all goblins and sht on this hallows eve.:banana

Jack Tarlin
10-31-2006, 20:28
Actually I'm working.

Ever tried to ID people on Halloween, when they're covered in grease paint or look like Gene Simmons' grandfather? I can't tell if someone is human, never mind if they're actually 21.

Sheesh, I WISH I waas drinking. :D

RAT
10-31-2006, 20:29
Thanks Wolf, Happy Goblin day to you too, a toast ? Well hey, dont mind if I do !

HAIRNT !

RAT

the goat
10-31-2006, 20:30
i dunno a/b jack, but i'm drinkin' beer.....

::raises bottle to all goblins & sht, and drinks::

khaynie
10-31-2006, 20:47
Actually I'm working.

Ever tried to ID people on Halloween, when they're covered in grease paint or look like Gene Simmons' grandfather? I can't tell if someone is human, never mind if they're actually 21.

Sheesh, I WISH I waas drinking. :D

I've got to say that's pretty dang funny. Must be tough to enforce the 21 and over rule, huh? Just try and keep the tricks out; it'll be appreciated...:D

Lone Wolf
10-31-2006, 20:57
Chicks are turnin tricks on the streets of Hanover?:eek: Daddys must be cutting off trust funds.:)

Jim Adams
11-01-2006, 01:28
if you want to thru hike any time that you want, get a job that pays terrible and places you in great demand. in 2002 i gave a two week notice that i was quiting and going to thru hike. my employer would not accept it and instead gave me a 6 month leave of absence and told me to walk fast!all of a sudden quiting and leaving has not become a hard decision.
geek