PDA

View Full Version : there will be dogs!

mweinstone
10-31-2006, 08:32
yes but how many? i dont have one cause im in the sucky city. i love your trail dog. how many will i get to pet and walk with and clean my pot and be kept free of bear and mouse by? are you bringing a dog to thruhike in 07? who, what, when, shuttle plans for the smokeys?leash? whats in his or her pack?

Grampie
10-31-2006, 10:02
Dogs don't belong on the trail with thru-hikers..I have plenty of reasons..just ask.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2006, 10:03
Ok. I'll bite. Pun intended.:)

Gaiter
10-31-2006, 10:23
yes but how many? i dont have one cause im in the sucky city. i love your trail dog. how many will i get to pet and walk with and clean my pot and be kept free of bear and mouse by? are you bringing a dog to thruhike in 07? who, what, when, shuttle plans for the smokeys?leash? whats in his or her pack?

This thread is just going to spawn a whole chain of anti-dog on the trail posts.
If i can save up, i'm hoping to spend anther month sectioning this summer, with my well-behaved trail dog (lil'red can varify that). She hiked w/ me for a month this past summer, looking back I will never take her on a trail for longer than one month and a month is pushing it. Its very hard on her and once she got off, I had lost my best friend and constant companion, making every step twice as hard. I think Trail Yeti went through the same thing after his dog became injured.

But yes dogs are great for cleaning pots, keeping mice away, but mostly companionship, I like to think Coco kept me sane this summer, that first month of getting into shape really kicked my a**, mentaly and physically.

Chris_Asheville
10-31-2006, 10:34
I love hiking with my dog, I can't imagine doing it without. However, it's really bad for the dogs to hike something like the AT. Their little dog appendages can't take the beating, especially over 200 days.
The Smokys should allow dogs. It drives me nuts that they don't. I bring mine everytime and he is very well behaved and provides a nice bark if ever needed to keep the bears away...Enjoy the dog, leave him/her home on the long journey.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2006, 10:35
Wow! Cool! The very first dog thread on Whiteblaze. What a great topic!:D

waterboy99
10-31-2006, 12:18
Wolf, How will you get around all of the varioius state regs about carrying a gun in each state. Also, what about any Federal or State Parks ?.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2006, 12:31
I don't carry a gun on the trail. If I did I certainly wouldn't announce it. I'm just messing with mweinstone. There are laws against drugs but lots of hikers carry drugs.

saimyoji
10-31-2006, 12:33
Anti-dog post.

Blissful
10-31-2006, 12:33
How about woofing this to the dog forum?

waterboy99
10-31-2006, 13:45
Wolf, I know that your are kidding about the whole thing, just kidding back.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2006, 14:09
Wolf, I know that your are kidding about the whole thing, just kidding back.

Oh. OK. Didn't see any smileys.:D

StarLyte
10-31-2006, 14:16
Wow! Cool! The very first dog thread on Whiteblaze. What a great topic!:D

Oh yeah.......a doggie thread.....yelpeeeee.....where's Alligator??

StillPond
10-31-2006, 14:17
the whole reason my 01 hike was cut short was because of my rough collie.
we turned around in ny because his solar dermititas was going crazy. in rout back home he got some type of yeast infection that made him lose the pads on his paws. it was horrible and very scary.

we finished up in 04, the pup stayed home.

so i would say taking a dog with is a bad idea, unless it is completely conditioned and very diciplined with voic command....

much love to all

mweinstone
10-31-2006, 17:52
weird.....no good dog posts.

changeing thread tittle to " who hates dogs and what do you want to do with them"

StillPond
10-31-2006, 18:00
weird.....no good dog posts.

changeing thread tittle to " who hates dogs and what do you want to do with them"

lol

i will say i saw alot more wildlife then my fellow hikers, everytime my dogs head would jump up, mine would too. he didnt like the mt. goats in pearisberg though.....heh...heh

much love to all

Phreak
10-31-2006, 19:27
Dogs don't belong on the trail with thru-hikers..I have plenty of reasons..just ask.

Please enlighten me.

Grampie
11-01-2006, 09:07
[QUOTE=StillPond;263910]the whole reason my 01 hike was cut short was because of my rough collie.

Well, That's one reason. Not to bring an animal on a thru-hike.

general
11-01-2006, 19:10
i'm bringin a sidearm to shoot the mutts.:cool:

my dog carries a gun. i bit him once and he figured if i ever did it again, he'd just shoot me.:D

general
11-01-2006, 19:12
clean my pot

i hate it when my dog gets my pot. damn dopehead.:D

Two Speed
11-01-2006, 19:18
Had a mouse get into mine once. Still hate them stinkin' shelters.

RAT
11-01-2006, 20:22
Dogs are like kids, too much needed care, I prefer to leave them at home (dogs that is) Plus I dont like the unobedient ones and stepping in their poo. ***** one for me Wolf !

PS (not saying I havent met some very awesome well trained dogs on the trail)

RAT

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 02:11
IThe Smokys should allow dogs. It drives me nuts that they don't. I bring mine everytime and he is very well behaved and provides a nice bark if ever needed to keep the bears away...Enjoy the dog, leave him/her home on the long journey.

Yes, those idiotic NPS bureacrats should allow everything. I wanna bring my honkin' big damn All Terrain VEE-hickle so I can make a honkin' big damn noise, and me and it are REAL well behaved. And I wanna bring my big damn gun, too, and shoot it a lot, but mostly not at pee-pul like Chris, mostly, so I will be REAL well behaved too. And it makes me nuts that I cant have my big honkin' gun and my big honkin ATV and all that IT MAKES ME REAL NUTS DO YOU HEAR ME STOP MAKING ME NUTS WHEN I GOT MY BIG HONKIN' GUN AND STUFF ALL YOU PARK RANGERS GOT TO STOP MAKING YOR STUPID DOG RULES AND OTHER THINGS WE IS CITIZENS OF THE YOU ESS OF A! AND WE PAY YOUR SALARY SO YOU LISTEN TO CHRIS AND STOP MAKING HIM AND ME NUTS, OK???

Whew. We feel SO much better now. Back later. Gotta go do some business with my gun and ATV. Chris?? You there?

The Weasel

Grampie
11-02-2006, 10:21
Please enlighten me.

Well.. Let's try.
My thoughts and feelings are relating to thru-hikes and dogs. I must first say that I'm ,by far, not a dog hater. I have owned at least one most of my life. Before I thru-hiked, I oftened invisioned hiking a thru with a dog. After being on the trail my vision changed.
First, and probably the #1 reason is that it puts a thru-hiker at a great disadvantage to be resposiable for a dog while trying to thru-hike. Before you even start a thru the odds of finishing are only about 1 in 5. With a dog I would be willing to bet it drops to 1 in 50. So, my point is;If you are serious about doing a thru you wouldn't even consider bringing a dog.
It' a very hard deal for a dog. Especially one who is not a true out door dog. I met, saw and experienced folks, hiking the AT, with dogs that were in sorry shape. They just keep on going, even though they were in pain and not enjoying the experience. They can't say " I had enough. It's time to quit."
That's my #2 reason is it's too hard on the dog.
My #3 reason would be: Some folks don't like dogs and don't relate to them. Why should these folks have to put up with your dog. Especialy in shelters, around water supplies and meeting on the trail.
#4 A lot of dog/hikers think their dog can do no harm and don't see problems when other hikers do. Case in point: A dog wakes everyone up, in the middle of the night by barking. The owner would say " he was just protecting us."
A dog is drinking from a spring, where I get my water. They will say: " It's all right I get my water from there and drink it."
I could go on and on. The AT isn't the place to bring the dog if you are a serious, conserned for others hiker.
I did my thru in 2001. I hiked with a great gal that was considerate to others and had a great dog. He was Marvin the Wounder Dog. I even slept next to her, with her dog in her sleeping bag, one night in a shelter. I am proud to have Marvin as a member of the class on "01". He is my sole exception and I imagine there are others, but I bet they are few.
So, fellow AT hikers. Think befor you start a thru, or long hike, with your dog.
You may think he is enjoying it, but after a few days, I bet he would rather be home.

Alligator
11-02-2006, 11:14
Oh yeah.......a doggie thread.....yelpeeeee.....where's Alligator??It ought to be over in the Dog forum IMO but the mods (The Goat and Frieden) can't move it since it is in the Class of 2007 forum.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask again that when we line up as we inevitably do on this issue, to please simply label your position as pro-dog or anti-dog, instead of dog lover and dog hater, or the even worse dog ****er. Thank you:sun .

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 12:38
I'm a dog owner and lover. I'd never take my dog on the AT. I love him too much. Here's why:

In my 2000 thruhike attempt, I came to Cheoah Bald and took a break. A man came up to me and asked if I'd seen a yellow lab on the trail. He told me he'd been backpacking several days before, came to the Bald, and unleashed his dog to let the dog run and exercise. The dog saw a squirrel, ran into the woods, and never returned. He'd searched for him since, and was posting signs on trees about him.

He killed that dog. He didn't mean to, but he did. The moment he unleashed him, he took a horrible chance that his dog would do as dogs often will, no matter how well trained: Run off. Lost in the coves of that hillside, unable to hear or know the direction to run, that dog was abandoned by the man who loved him. Killed or starved, that dog died alone. The alternative? Keep one's dog leashed for days or weeks on end? Not a good thing for a dog, either.

It's a true story. I wish it wasn't.

The Weasel

Alligator
11-02-2006, 12:56
I'm a dog owner and lover. I'd never take my dog on the AT. I love him too much. Here's why:

In my 2000 thruhike attempt, I came to Cheoah Bald and took a break. A man came up to me and asked if I'd seen a yellow lab on the trail. He told me he'd been backpacking several days before, came to the Bald, and unleashed his dog to let the dog run and exercise. The dog saw a squirrel, ran into the woods, and never returned. He'd searched for him since, and was posting signs on trees about him.

He killed that dog. He didn't mean to, but he did. The moment he unleashed him, he took a horrible chance that his dog would do as dogs often will, no matter how well trained: Run off. Lost in the coves of that hillside, unable to hear or know the direction to run, that dog was abandoned by the man who loved him. Killed or starved, that dog died alone. The alternative? Keep one's dog leashed for days or weeks on end? Not a good thing for a dog, either.

It's a true story. I wish it wasn't.

The WeaselActually, it's not a true story. The veracity of the story ends after you left the man posting signs. It's a good story though to emphasize keeping your dog on a leash and knowing whether you have excellent voice control. Also, is your dog a chaser? Perhaps the woods isn't for your dog.

twosticks
11-02-2006, 13:02
I did a weekend trip in MD a few weeks ago and brought my dog with me. Never let him off the leash, slept in my tent (not in the shelter) generally did all the things you are supposed to do with dogs o nthe trail to be nice to other hikers. Saying that, I won't bring him any more. I think he had a great time, but in bringing him with me, I limited my options because I didn't want to be unkind to other hikers. I agree, keep them home for the long hikes.

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 13:04
Actually, it's not a true story. The veracity of the story ends after you left the man posting signs.

Well, gosh, 'Gator, it never dawned on me to say to a guy with a sheaf of flyers about a "lost dog", a backpack (he'd hiked that stretch back and forth posting them and calling for his Lab), and tears in his eye, "Hey, Dude! Prove it!" I sort of felt more like doing what I did; telling him I felt bad for him and deciding not to take my dog.

As for "voice control," yeah, well, you decide how good yours is. Take the chance. Go ahead. You only gotta be wrong once, though. But it's only a dog, right?

By the way: Don't call me a liar, 'Gator. It gets me exercised.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
11-02-2006, 13:09
Hey! Calm down. Dial it down a bit.:)

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 13:15
Plenty calm. Chuckle.

The Weasel

Alligator
11-02-2006, 13:19
Well, gosh, 'Gator, it never dawned on me to say to a guy with a sheaf of flyers about a "lost dog", a backpack (he'd hiked that stretch back and forth posting them and calling for his Lab), and tears in his eye, "Hey, Dude! Prove it!" I sort of felt more like doing what I did; telling him I felt bad for him and deciding not to take my dog.

As for "voice control," yeah, well, you decide how good yours is. Take the chance. Go ahead. You only gotta be wrong once, though. But it's only a dog, right?

By the way: Don't call me a liar, 'Gator. It gets me exercised.

The WeaselI'm saying you can't verify the rest of your story. I didn't call you a liar, a speculator is what you are. You see, I lot of the problems we have had in the past regarding dog threads is the drama.

BTW.
1. I didn't suggest you say anything to the guy.
2. Don't speculate on what I would do with my own dog nor on my view of dogs in general.

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 14:27
Yeah, I agree, let's leave any 'drama' - as in, "feelings" - out of the story. Dogs are just property, sort of like self-propelled trekking poles, so how we feel about them isn't really relevant. There are always more where they came from. Is that it?

Sorry, Alligator: This story - and if you think it's 'speculative' well, I'm sorry, but that guy didn't find his dog, and that Bald isn't somewhere with an active dog search team, and there's not much chance that dog survived. If you - and others - want to minimize that chance by calling it "speculation" and "confidence over voice control" and "knowing" if your dog is a "chaser," well, go ahead. The fact is that almost no dog, in an unfamiliar environment, can be guaranteed to stick to training perfectly every time.

So you have three choices: Keep your dog leashed, every minute; risk = 0. Leave your dog home; risk = 0. Bring him with you and let him/her off leash now and then. Risk? Is it worth it?

I saw that guy. And that's a fact, Gator. I wouldn't want to be him. And that not speculation.

The Weasel

LostInSpace
11-02-2006, 15:01
Wolf, How will you get around all of the varioius state regs about carrying a gun in each state. Also, what about any Federal or State Parks ?.

I think most of the regs use the term firearm rather than gun. Personally, I prefer a blowgun ... tipped with bad hiker food! :D:D

Alligator
11-02-2006, 16:08
Yeah, I agree, let's leave any 'drama' - as in, "feelings" - out of the story. Dogs are just property, sort of like self-propelled trekking poles, so how we feel about them isn't really relevant. There are always more where they came from. Is that it?At any event where there is a group of people, the first person I greet will be the dog. So much for your grand speculative abilities on the position I hold dogs in.

Sorry, Alligator: This story - and if you think it's 'speculative' well, I'm sorry, but that guy didn't find his dog, and that Bald isn't somewhere with an active dog search team, and there's not much chance that dog survived. If you - and others - want to minimize that chance by calling it "speculation" and "confidence over voice control" and "knowing" if your dog is a "chaser," well, go ahead. The fact is that almost no dog, in an unfamiliar environment, can be guaranteed to stick to training perfectly every time.Sorry Weasel, while it is plausible that the dog died lost, it is also possible that a beautiful yellow lab was found and never returned to its owner. Did you ever check with the guy later? He might have had the dog returned. Another good point, get the microchip for your pet.

The fact is, you don't know what happened to the dog. You're a lawyer, you know what speculation is. Quit being a drama queen.

So you have three choices: Keep your dog leashed, every minute; risk = 0. Leave your dog home; risk = 0. Bring him with you and let him/her off leash now and then. Risk? Is it worth it?

I saw that guy. And that's a fact, Gator. I wouldn't want to be him. And that not speculation.

The Weasel
I don't advocate letting dogs off leash while hiking. You are only speculating that I do. That's twice you've been mistaken. I would hope that one has excellent voice control though in the event that the dog gets loose for some reason.

Since this thread is about the Class of 2007 and dogs, I'm going to recommend that if you wish to continue that it be split into the appropriate forum.

Bloodroot
11-02-2006, 16:23
So you have three choices: Keep your dog leashed, every minute; risk = 0. Leave your dog home; risk = 0.

The Weasel

One less dog controversy = priceless

RAT
11-02-2006, 20:05
Dogs are VERY resiliant and self surviving. I have a hard time believing that dog died alone in the woods. Call it specualtion if you want, but it isnt that far down the hill to the river and civilization where a dog could easily find food and probably a new home or best case scenario get returned to his owner. You never see "8 below" ? lol I still say leave your dog at home for its sake.

RAT

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 20:32
Pity you let your temper interfere with your reading ability.

Alligator
11-02-2006, 22:57
Feel free to continue providing dog advice, The Weasel, but please keep in mind the guidelines for this forum.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259

Ramble~On
11-05-2006, 20:06
The Smokys should allow dogs. It drives me nuts that they don't. I bring mine everytime and he is very well behaved and provides a nice bark if ever needed to keep the bears away...Enjoy the dog, leave him/her home on the long journey.

Are you saying that you take your dog into Great Smoky Mountains National Park ?

Ramble~On
11-05-2006, 20:22

Somewhere :-? I think that there might have been a word or two posted about this.....there are "regs" concerning guns and there are also "regs" concerning DOGS. I often wonder how many of those who hike with their dogs take the time to research and /or understand those "regs" prior to starting their hike.

mweinstone
11-07-2006, 20:09
i kill dogs alot. out back. im killin one right now. with ketchup.

Illinois Coy
11-08-2006, 21:39
I agree. Leave the dog at home. During my 2001 thruhike a young couple had a well mannered dog but after several weeks the dog tired out and became grouchy. He then started nipping at hikers' legs who came too close to him. The couple got off the trail, sooner than intended, and it was probably because of problems with the dog.

kerrizor
11-19-2006, 17:44
I agree. Leave the dog at home. During my 2001 thruhike a young couple had a well mannered dog but after several weeks the dog tired out and became grouchy. He then started nipping at hikers' legs who came too close to him. The couple got off the trail, sooner than intended, and it was probably because of problems with the dog.

Well, at least they didn't compound their original mistake of not trail-training their dog.

I am ferociously anti-dog when the dog is off-leash (especially here in the NW where things are just a touch more wild).

Bring my pup on a day hike? An overnight? 3-5 day section hike on the PCT? Sure.

Bring my pup on a month long trek (Wonderland trail, perhaps)? Sure, after 2 years of hiking with me and proving that its something he _wants_ to do with me.

Thruhike for 5 months? Not going to happen.

frieden
11-21-2006, 02:38
Wow, I'm gone for a couple of months, and you kids set to bickering already!

This is a dog hiking forum, designed to promote responsible hiking practices with your dog - not a place for the tired debate of dogs do or do not belong on the trail. There will be no talk of violence against dogs or their handlers, shielded by a smirk or not.

For the people trying to use this forum for what it was designed for, I'm sorry that I was gone for so long.

Bravo
11-21-2006, 19:44
I'm bringing 10 dogs and a sled. 5 to pull the sled and 5 to eat. I hate resupply!

red-b
01-31-2007, 16:39
Bringing my dog L.P was the best thing i ever did! I have southbounded the trail with my dog and nobo' with L.p. the smallest dog ever on the trail.he's a miniature dashund.He was amazing!!!! i hardly ever had to help him.And he absolutely LOVED IT!!! Yes ,he had some problems,just like EVERY HIKER has problems too!! you gotta inspect your dog EVERYDAY,every break i took i would check him out.He got lyme desease in N.Y and porcupined in mass. so what! it sucked!! BUT I TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!He was fine.If you have a problem and you don't take care of yourself then your stupid and you will probably never make IT! All it takes is a little common sense and anybody or any dog can make it all the way!No problem.I will say this .and I'm not trying to be crude ,but there are alot of idiots out there and some figure it outand make it the whole way and tons don't!anyway bringing L.P was great.Ask anyone who hiked with him!!!!!

Lilred
01-31-2007, 16:57
Bringing my dog L.P was the best thing i ever did! I have southbounded the trail with my dog and nobo' with L.p. the smallest dog ever on the trail.he's a miniature dashund.He was amazing!!!! i hardly ever had to help him.And he absolutely LOVED IT!!! Yes ,he had some problems,just like EVERY HIKER has problems too!! you gotta inspect your dog EVERYDAY,every break i took i would check him out.He got lyme desease in N.Y and porcupined in mass. so what! it sucked!! BUT I TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!He was fine.If you have a problem and you don't take care of yourself then your stupid and you will probably never make IT! All it takes is a little common sense and anybody or any dog can make it all the way!No problem.I will say this .and I'm not trying to be crude ,but there are alot of idiots out there and some figure it outand make it the whole way and tons don't!anyway bringing L.P was great.Ask anyone who hiked with him!!!!!

I hiked with L.P. and that is one amazing little dog. Hiya Red-B!!! That dog could outhike Red-B and that's hard to do!! Had a blast last year. How's it going RedB?

red-b
01-31-2007, 17:03
hows it going!! this is red-b.I am living in monson maine currently and I love it!things are going well.L.P is great! I Can't wait to hit trail days.

Lilred
01-31-2007, 19:12
hows it going!! this is red-b.I am living in monson maine currently and I love it!things are going well.L.P is great! I Can't wait to hit trail days.

:welcome to Whiteblaze Red-B.

mweinstone
01-31-2007, 20:04
i made red b.

mweinstone
01-31-2007, 20:07
kidding. wazup homey? glad you decided to drop in. finally some dog support. this year was a tough sell for dogs. im hating every minute theres not a dog nearby. since when did man forget hes our best friend? what? ya think thats just some quaint old litterary term? dogless fools!

mweinstone
01-31-2007, 20:15
red b's voice is what i imagine it will sound like when the bible says god will return with a SHOUT! and lps leg are in the guinness book of world records at just over an inch long fully straightened. minnesota smith should be here to give us the numbers on lp's strides per mile and such. actually mike(red b) is lieing. he carrys lp alot. and its really cool cause he just wears his dog as a scarf.lp was found on the trail if you want the story go to the horsemouth. horses mouth.ive put in several hundred with the pup and hes no dummy. lp(low profile) has this fake limp he does to hitch a ride on red b. they have a seperate entrence in the sleeping bag for lp to go in and out of the foot section at night. what a warmer! its only about the best arangement ive seen. dog owners owe alot to red b and lp for pioneering new dog ways on the AT.

SunnyWalker
11-03-2007, 23:49
Say, wasup?? My name is Fido and I am a black lab. I love hiking with my "master" (I am rhe real master!!!). She puts me on a leash and that makes ME look good. I love the outdoors, thats what I was born for! I walk, run, leap, bark at little bugs and things, chase away mice in the shelters (get a few free dinners that way too), and I love swimming in the creeks. Once in a while I meet some crazy two legged creatures who are a real pain. They yell, and leave litter, and get in the way and all. I have to listen to them talk, talk, talk and I only get one little bark in once in awhile. I love it when I get pets and cuddles from them though. My master gives me treats and feed me real good. I love my pack and it is just right. I carry my bowl and food and all. All this is a real adventure. Bark, bark, whine, grrrrrrrrrr . . . (there goes a mouse). -Fido

Nearly Normal
11-04-2007, 09:33
That Phidoux certainly sounds like the smart one.

Nearly Normal

dessertrat
11-04-2007, 17:15
Had a mouse get into mine once. Still hate them stinkin' shelters.

A mouse got into your dog? I'm afraid to ask.