PDA

View Full Version : Four questions from a potential thur-hiking partner!

Chris_Asheville
10-31-2006, 10:42
I have begun planning for my 2007 thru-hike and I have a friend who is seriously considering it as well. He has a few questions for you all. Thanks! Everyone has been really helpful so far.

Did anyone bring a gun? Is it needed?

How did you deal with huge rain storms?

Did anyone run into any trouble with people or animals?

Any good horror stories?

Thanks....

Chris

Mountain Maiden
10-31-2006, 11:22
The gun question is prob the most often asked. Family and friends could not believe that I would go on the Trail without one! But, I think everyone here will assure your friend that one is NOT necessary! Besides, as Spur and Ready told me, "You will get to the point that you will not want the weight of an extra postage stamp, much less a gun!!"

Seriously, tho' I consider the Trail one of the safest places to be. Most "ne'er do goods" will not put forth the effort to hike to a point on the Trail. Hikers are a close-knit group who just naturally look out for one another. I would not hesitate for my daughters to hike the Trail alone.

You will be lucky to see any wildlife and what you do see will not be of any danger to you.

I think the most important things to have on the Trail is determination and just good sense!

(Be prepared for people to send you newspaper articles, email, etc about terrible things that have happened on the Trail-------send them back the pages from any paper, any day of any city events--murders, assaults, robberies, etc)

Relax and have a great hike!

Sunrise

Mountain Maiden
10-31-2006, 11:23
Talk to anyone in Class of '03 about RAIN!!

max patch
10-31-2006, 11:52
Did anyone bring a gun? Is it needed? -- No and No.

How did you deal with huge rain storms? -- Keep walking to next shelter.

Did anyone run into any trouble with people or animals? -- Was lucky enough to see moose in Maine, and a bear walking up a creek in VA. Plenty of bears in GSMNP also. Dog every once in a while would bark but would always retreat if you don't show fear. Only problem with people were the ones who broke the house rules in hostels. Didn't affect my hike at all, but affected hikers in subsquent years when the hostels closed.

Any good horror stories? -- Not really. One hiker was walking on the road near the NOC and got sideswiped by a truck and broke their leg. Another group of hikers - prob 4 or 5 and a dog - were hitching a ride in the back of a pickup truck which took a curve too fast and threw everyone out of the truck. Nothing more serious than bumps and bruises; everyone was really lucky.

bulldog49
10-31-2006, 12:34
You will face more danger getting to and from the trail than you will on the trail. I feel much safer walking the AT than in a city park.

Footslogger
10-31-2006, 12:42
Talk to anyone in Class of '03 about RAIN!!
=================================

You know there had to be more than normal rainfall when it feels right to add a puddle to the bottom of your AT Tattoo.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
10-31-2006, 12:47
I have begun planning for my 2007 thru-hike and I have a friend who is seriously considering it as well. He has a few questions for you all. Thanks! Everyone has been really helpful so far.

Any good horror stories?

Thanks....

Chris

Some bring guns, most don't.
If I wake up and it's raining, I stay in my tent till it stops.
Only trouble I had was with other hiker's dogs.
Got a few horror stories but I only type with one finger so I'll tell you in person if we ever meet.

RockyTrail
10-31-2006, 13:31
(Be prepared for people to send you newspaper articles, email, etc about terrible things that have happened on the Trail-------send them back the pages from any paper, any day of any city events--murders, assaults, robberies, etc)
Sunrise

WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!

Especially if your "thur" hiking:D

Gray Blazer
10-31-2006, 13:34
WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!

Especially if your "thur" hiking:DHiking on a thursday? LW, do your horror stories have anything to do with only having one finger?:D

RockyTrail
10-31-2006, 13:37
I guess hiking across ancient Scandinavia would be "Thor-hiking"

MOWGLI
10-31-2006, 13:45

Guns are for Trail Pussies. Ask your friend. "Are you a Trail Pussy?" ;)

Main Entry: pus·sy
Pronunciation: 'pu-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural pus·sies
Etymology: short for pussycat
slang : a weak or cowardly man or boy : WIMP, SISSY

If you're in town, stay there. If you're on the trail, keep on truckin! Just be careful at stream & road crossings.

Both are rare occurrences. I had a stray dog come after me, but I ran it off by reacting aggressively.

Any good horror stories?

Check your local listings. Saw III and Grudge II are supposedly out in wide release.

Panzer1
10-31-2006, 14:09

It isn't legal to bring a gun the full length of the trail. At some point or another you will be breaking one or more of the approx. 20,000 gun laws in this country.

Carrying a gun may hurt you more than help you since fellow hikers with cell phones may report you to the police feelling that they are doing the "right thing" by reporting you.

Panzer

Red Hat
10-31-2006, 14:49
no gun
walked in the rain (especially in 03) - scariest day was thunderstorm on Dragonstooth
no horror stories, just great memories, even my two trips to the hospital
(one for an ekg, in case I was having heart problems - I wasn't,
and second for stitching my head after a rock jumped up and hit me in the head when I fell)

StillPond
10-31-2006, 17:01
my only horror story was in troutdale virginia. i was hiking into town for dog food, noodles and snickers i saw a little red truck so i stuck out my thumb. they passed by then came to a stop. i was like sweet! there were two people in this little toyata tacoma so i crammed in the back. they asked me where i was going, i told them the closest general store. then the driver asked me what the heck i was doing out here. i told him i was a thru hiker trying to get to maine. he said "so you live in the woods?" i said i guess you can say that.
it grew silent, the passenger reached into his pocket and pulled out a bullet, what looked to be a 30-06 and started twirling it between his fingers. he then leaned over and said "i dont like terrorists all that much, now what if i was to call you a terrorist!" i told him i am not a terrorist, im a hiker, you havent heard of the A.T.? "no" he said
at this point i am starting to shake, wondering if we were going to the store. i then said "you can let me out here" the driver said "i thought you wanted a ride to the store?" no its cool i can walk the rest of the way.
as they pulled over and let me out, the passenger said "how bout' i give you 10 min to get the **** out of here before i blow your head off. i told that wasnt funny. he said "im not trying to be" i told the driver thanx for the ride this far. he didnt say a word. they got in the truck and started to drive off. the passenger stuck his head out and said 10 mins. mother ******

i was terrified, i kept walkingand saw another car, i hesitantly stuck out my thumb. sure enough they pulled over it was a ford explorer Tom was driving and Mary was the passenger(husband & wife) the sweetest couple i have ever met. i told them everything, they couldnt believe it, Mary looked more scared than i did.

they not only took me to the food lion 30 miles away, but took me back told us to stash our stuff and load back up. they took us out to eat, the coin laundry, and to their hotel to shower up.

horrible and beautiful at the same time. but the at has its way of doing that

much love to all

Jim Adams
11-01-2006, 01:49
Hiking on a thursday? LW, do your horror stories have anything to do with only having one finger?:D
remember! it is illegal to hike on thursdays. must take zeros.
geek

RAT
11-01-2006, 02:41
Gun = No way, too heavy and not needed.

Huge rain storms = I got wet, deal with it, will happen alot.

Trouble with people or animals = never an issue with humans, but had some skunk adventures on occasions, otherwise the bears were friendly and the snakes were more afraid of me than I was them.

Horror stories = nearly froze to death in the Stechoas once (in the early yrs) due to being zero degrees and not having proper gear and I stepped in poo once that some idiot hiker left in wrong place without burying. Oyeah , I got married during trail days in 93 ;-)

RAT

ShakeyLeggs
11-01-2006, 03:19

Any good horror stories?

Thanks....

Chris

Gun- Not needed, to heavy, more trouble than it is worth.

Rain- Keeps you cool on a hot day, free shower, no rain no Maine.

Trouble with ppl or animules- very rare

Only horror story I have was not a horror story but an weird occasion. At one road crossing somewhere in TN two of us were trying to hitch into town to resupply and a truck pulled up and asked if we needed a ride, we said yes then they asked if we had any weed and we said no they replied no weed no ride and drove off. :confused:

RAT
11-01-2006, 03:50
Well, not having weed IS a horror story !!!!!!

HAIRNT !

RAT