PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Outdoor Eqiupment Shelter tarp?

whizbang
10-31-2006, 11:48
Anyone use one of these and would like to report? It looks interesting.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442585103&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302855338&bmUID=1162261560214

general
11-01-2006, 19:18
over a pound seems a little heavy for a tarp. my 8x10 weighs about 10oz.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-01-2006, 21:42
This is a 10 x 12' tarp and weighs the same as my 10 x 12' sil-nylon tarp - 19 ozs. Whizbang, are you going solo or as a couple or planning to take a large dog? I ask because you might want to go a bit smaller (and therefore lighter) on your tarp if you are solo. Our 10 x 12' tarp is really roomy even for two 'fluffy' dinos and all their stuff. We put a small bivy tent under it for bug protection.

whizbang
11-01-2006, 23:14
Well, I am very leery of sil-nylon, particulary if I am going to use it as my main shelter for 5 months. Sil nylon in NOT water proof, merely water resistant; the fabric in the D# has a hyrostatic head of 10,000mm vs 150-200mm for syl-nylon. This stuff is bomber - they use it for dry bags. Yes, it weighs a few oz more than syl-nylon, but those oz are worth nothing to me if my shelter rips in half or leaks (syl-nylon is notoriously weak when wet). I called the company, and that 19 oz includes shock-corded tie-outs and a sewn-in stuff pocket. I am currently depending on an old Equinox syl-nylon 8x10 tarp, and I have proven to myself that it is not enough: my hammock gets wets no matter how tight I set up the tarp, and that is from blowing rain, not the leaks.
I can link to some of the science concerning syl-nylon if you like, but I for one do not trust it. Compare this 10-12 tarp at $105 to the fancy MacCat Delux at $185: which is the better deal? I like this one. Just waiting till Christmas.:D

Ramble~On
11-13-2006, 09:37
Well, I am very leery of sil-nylon, particulary if I am going to use it as my main shelter for 5 months. Sil nylon in NOT water proof, merely water resistant; the fabric in the D# has a hyrostatic head of 10,000mm vs 150-200mm for syl-nylon. This stuff is bomber - they use it for dry bags. Yes, it weighs a few oz more than syl-nylon, but those oz are worth nothing to me if my shelter rips in half or leaks (syl-nylon is notoriously weak when wet). I called the company, and that 19 oz includes shock-corded tie-outs and a sewn-in stuff pocket. I am currently depending on an old Equinox syl-nylon 8x10 tarp, and I have proven to myself that it is not enough: my hammock gets wets no matter how tight I set up the tarp, and that is from blowing rain, not the leaks.
I can link to some of the science concerning syl-nylon if you like, but I for one do not trust it. Compare this 10-12 tarp at $105 to the fancy MacCat Delux at $185: which is the better deal? I like this one. Just waiting till Christmas.:D

whizbang...please share. I use an Equinox tarp and have never had a problem with it..in fact it's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

HikeLite
11-19-2006, 19:32
An 8 x 10 silnylon tarp is around 14 oz.

peter_pan
11-19-2006, 23:37

Wizbang,

If you are getting wet by blowin under an 8x10 in a hammock you are not selecting decent sites to hang and/or not setting up very well.... this is an avoidable situation almost always.

yes there are more bomber materials than silnyl...but silnyl works and weighs much less...have hundreds of nights under silnyl tarps with no failure and know many other who have never had silnyl rip or tear in normal use even in extremely wet periods... Yes it is waterproof only to about 3 psi but that is plenty unless you try to use a flat pitch.

Pan