PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know Thickett - NOBO 05'

khaynie
10-31-2006, 18:09
Does anyone remember a 2005 NOBO named Thicket? I was going through my journal yesterday and ran across an entry that sparked an interesting memory.

In Monson, at the Shaw's, my wife and I met this NOBO named, Thickett. This was on June, 11 2005. I believe he started somtime late in Febuary. He was a genuine guy, in his late 30' - early 40's, long red hair, and a thick red beard. And if I am not mistaken, the 1st NOBO of 05'.

He was a strong hiker and had been carrying over 50+ lbs since Springer. His consistent mileage was impressive, too. He hiked something like 20+ miles a day for 60+ days in a row before Monson. His philosphy was simple: Hike until you get tired. Apparently, he didn't get tired very often.

The interesting thing was that he wasn't opposed to ultra-light hiking, he as just so fast and ahead of the rest of the NOBO's, that it seemed like the concept never got a chance to cross his mind. Some of the other NOBO's we met after Thicket, confirmed our assumptions. In fact, one NOBO we met said that Thicket carried a -20 sleeping bag in his arms during the first couple of weeks of his start. I'm not sure on this one, as I didn't here it straight from Thicket; however, I can see that being the case.

With all that said, he was an interesting hiker who offered us very good advice and provided us with a lot of inspiration to continue on Southbound.

Anybody remember this guy?

PJ 2005
10-31-2006, 23:07
i remember hearing a lot about him, but i don't think he left many journal entries. i hiked with people who he had hiked with, that sort of thing... everything i heard about him was positive. didn't know he was carrying so much weight - my knees would have given out!

skeeterfeeder
11-01-2006, 04:17
I honestly don't remember reading any posts by this hiker. I started February 28 and checked many of the registers, but this name doesn't ring any bells.

khaynie
11-01-2006, 07:08
I honestly don't remember reading any posts by this hiker. I started February 28 and checked many of the registers, but this name doesn't ring any bells.

He said he didn't stay any many shelters ~ I assume this is why there wasn't many entries. He said he camped wherever he got tired; shelter or not. Thought it would be neat if anyone knew more about him or had any other stories they could share.