PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and skin care...

Bread
10-31-2006, 18:16
Being from the arid SW, slathering my skin with lotion is as automatic as brushing my teeth. The few times I have been in a humid climate I noticed I needed far less lotion as my skin was no longer dry, dry, dry. I will use a good moisturizer on my face during my hike but will I need to carry lotion?
I am asking this question on the female forum because I read that there are many people who don't carry soap but I have never found a "bird-bath"(with a little water and a bandana) each day during a hike to be much of a hardship and it makes me feel so much better.

Mother's Finest
10-31-2006, 18:24
unless you suffer from psoriasis (poor spelling) or another problem that requires a prescription, you should not need any lotion at all.

and welcome to WB....

hope you don't mind that I am not a lady...

peace
mf

dragonfly
10-31-2006, 18:36
I carry a very small (< 1 oz.) bottle of lotion when hiking. I rarely need it, but it can be useful on hands, feet, elbows, etc. In the summer I never need lotion on my face. The very best thing for me is to just keep rinsing with water until I don't taste salt anymore. My face is much happier in the sweaty, hot, humid woods than in air-conditioned, made-up town!

Cuffs
10-31-2006, 19:17
Having lived in FL and AL all my adult life, I thought the humidity would take care of the dry skin issue... partly right. I use a mild lotion on my face daily (w/spf) I dont want to look like a lizard handbag before Im 40!

On the few hikes that Ive done, I find my face is ok with out lotion, but my hands/cuticles are drier than ever! (mind you, I have always had dry hands/cuticles)

I carry a very small hotel bottle of lotion with me for just such a case...

Swass
11-03-2006, 23:18
Like the above poster, I've lived in FL for my whole life but I still use lotion daily for the same reason, for the spf. I'd rather be shiny than wrinkly.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-03-2006, 23:23
I use a tiny bit of olive oil mixed with about 1/2 teaspoon (3 ml) water to moisturize while hiking if needed. This keeps me from having to carry an extra bottle that may not be needed.

Dancer
11-05-2006, 20:59
Just remember that fragranced lotions can attact insects and that it's never good to mix fragrances with unwashed clothes and skin, just makes odors worse.

Jan LiteShoe
11-05-2006, 21:08
If you hike in raw Marh or April, you might appreaciate a good heavy lotion to protect againt wind-burned cheeks. Chapstick for the lips helps too.

Two Speed
11-05-2006, 21:43
. . . Chapstick for the lips helps too.If the ladies will excuse the intrusion . . .
One of my more unpleasant winter hiking experiences was getting split lips due to wind, sunshine and low humidity. Arizona, you might suppose? Guess again! Georgia; bright, georgeous blue skies, moderate winds and low temps. Takes all the enjoyment out of that first cup of coffee in the morning. For the record, one day was enough to break this hairy chested, he-man hiker. I have never been soooo happy to give up $1.39 for a tube of chap stick.