PDA

View Full Version : GreyHound Ameripass

RagingHampster
05-11-2003, 11:07
This is definetly an off-topic subject. Sorry.

Before I take off on the AT, I am buying a 120day Greyhound Buspass to explore the west coast and southwest from October 1st until sometime in late January. Off-season, I'm hoping to miss alot of the crowds, even though some things will be covered in 40ft of snow and inaccessable. I also plan to hit southern Florida for some beach relaxation :)

I will be living like a hiker, with my alcohol stove and book of hostels. Of course I will reserve money for nice meals now and then :)

I don't plan on doing much hiking, but alot of walking around cities, boardwalks, etc. I figure this will counterbalance my ditching civilazation for 5 months on the trail :D

RagingHampster
05-13-2003, 13:56
I forgot to mention that I plan on exploring Baja, taking the Copper Canyon Train, and checking out Mexico City with my bus-pass. Has anyone been to any of these areas? I speak enough spanish to get around (I'm Hoping :D)

I'm hoping to spend ~45 days in Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada (Las Vegas for 2 days), and Arizona. Hit Mexico for ~45 days, and then spend my last 30 on the Florida Keys, Washington DC (haven't been since I was 14), and New York City.

But for now I'm preparing for my Metacomet-Monadnock hike. Just bought & zip-locked up' all my food supplies today!!! Friday morning is too far away!!!

ChicagoRob
05-13-2003, 14:29
and here I am looking forward to a few days on the Ice Ag Trail this summer......have a great time.

RagingHampster
05-13-2003, 14:51
Hey Rob, where are some good places to visit/eat at in Chicago? I'm planning on going from Massachusetts to Seattle, and Chicago is on the way!

I'm trying to avoid the "touron" areas if possible!

ChicagoRob
05-14-2003, 11:37
For food and drink, two areas I like are Wrigleyville and Edison Park. Wrigleyville (the neighborhood around Wrigley Field, home of the beloved Cubs) has lotsa bars and is great place to walk around and get a bit of a feel for the city, most certainly when the Cubs are in town. Edison Park is a neighborhood on the far northwest side of the city(my area). There are some great places to eat and a good nightlife. I suggest Basta Pasta for dinner and The Emerald Isle for beer and a band. Also I need to mention Lou Malnati’s for pizza. We’ve ordered from there about once a week for the last 5 years and I still look forward to it. Insofar as places to visit, can’t help you there, I visit Wisconsin. Gets me out of the city.