PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking Tendencies

khaynie
11-01-2006, 11:46
Ever since my thru, I've noted quite a few thru hiking tendencies that carried over into my every day life. For instance, I tend to get a few more miles out my socks, drawers, pants, etc. I will catch myself eating directly out of the pot I cook in to keep from dirtying up a plate. Is this common, or just plain gross? It's been nearly 1 year since the completion...:-?

RITBlake
11-01-2006, 11:50
Let it go Gills, let it go.

I slept in my sleeping bag for a few months after my thru. But nothing other then that.

khaynie
11-01-2006, 11:55
I need help don't I? Figures.

The Weasel
11-01-2006, 11:56
I started washing again after my wife mentioned something about moving to Nebraska or somewhere and leaving me behind.

The Weasel

max patch
11-01-2006, 11:58
That weekly shower felt so good that I have increased the number of showers I take; usually a couple every day.

Others have posted exactly the opposite; they now clean up every other day or so.

Dancer
11-01-2006, 12:09
Gills! I read your trailjournals and enjoyed it very much. Congrats to you and Samoa! I am planning a SOBO in 07. I have a question that is off the subject. If you had it to do over again would you do food drops again or buy as you go?

RITBlake
11-01-2006, 12:43
Gills! I read your trailjournals and enjoyed it very much. Congrats to you and Samoa! I am planning a SOBO in 07. I have a question that is off the subject. If you had it to do over again would you do food drops again or buy as you go?

Buy as you go is the way. Don't tie yourself down to food drops. You can find everything you need in town.

khaynie
11-01-2006, 12:51

Exactly what RITblake said. I cannot remember once needing a mail drop.

Dancer
11-01-2006, 12:57
Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for advise again before June. See you if you end up at the SORUCK.

khaynie
11-01-2006, 13:05
I hope to make it to SORUCK. Still trying to work it out.

saimyoji
11-01-2006, 13:34
Hmmm..I've always preferred sleeping in a bag rather than my bed. I've always, since I've been cooking for myself (highschool), preferred to eat out of the pot, I've always preferred to go days/weeks without washing or showering....does this mean I was born to thru-hike? :-?

Or does it just mean I'm a slob? :eek:

Gaiter
11-01-2006, 13:53
i didn't do a thru- but a habit i have after two months of hiking:
-while walking w/ a friend, my head will slowly go down, i drop out of the converstation and next thing i know, i'm a block ahead of them. oops

Ender
11-01-2006, 14:29
does this mean I was born to thru-hike? :-?

Or does it just mean I'm a slob? :eek:

Who's to say it doesn't mean both?? ;)

Webs
11-01-2006, 14:40
i didn't do a thru- but a habit i have after two months of hiking:
-while walking w/ a friend, my head will slowly go down, i drop out of the converstation and next thing i know, i'm a block ahead of them. oops

yes, i do the same thing! :rolleyes: i'm a natural speed-walker; when i hike w/my mom, she gripes at me about keeping in sight of her....i just get into my groove and don't notice silly little things like logs across the trail or my lagging hiking partner.......hmmm, actually, i feel a bit cold-hearted now. :D

Singe03
11-01-2006, 15:58
There are a number of things that stuck, one I just realized was a side effect from the AT I noticed the other night, I've done it all along since my hike but never really traced the root cause until a few weeks ago. I'm alot more accepting of weather now, rain, cold, heat, etc just do not have the impact they once did mentally.

Pulled up at a store in a pretty good thunderstorm, no umbrella, didn't drive around and look for a good spot, just grabbed an easy to get one in the back of the lot then casually strolled in to the store through the rain. Thinking to myself "why run, I'll get just as wet but I'll be tired, at least its not cold out". Same thing going out, casually walked out with the basket in the rain, loaded up the trunk of my car, got in and drove off.

Previously I would have at least looked for a better parking place (because of the rain) and been inclined to try to sprint in and try to "run faster than the rain" or something dumb.

Outlaw
11-01-2006, 16:34
Previously I would have at least looked for a better parking place (because of the rain) and been inclined to try to sprint in and try to "run faster than the rain" or something dumb.
I believe Mythbusters did a segment on this and discovered that you actually get less wet walking in the rain then trying to run through the rain (or like others who try to run between the drops).

jgreene
11-01-2006, 16:51
I continue to roll up and tie candy bar wrappers very small even if i am not on the trail.

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2006, 20:15
I still push the top of the tuna can down with my thumbs, hold it just over my mouth, and drain off the water.

By the way, this is NOT something I suggest doing in front of your lady friend, unless she's recently off the Trail.

But at least I don't do it with the cans packed with oil anymore.

And if I use a foil packet of ketchup or mayonnaise in a fast-food joint, I'm tempted to pull it empty between my teeth kinda like eating an artichoke, but I usually resist the temptation.

Oh, and on one memorable occasion, walking down Main Street in Hanover, I tucked my head under my arm, put finger to nose, and blew back this titanic snot rocket that damn near made landfull on this Dartmouth chick's Espadrille, much to her evident disgust.

I'm careful about that now, it's a small town and word gets around.

emerald
11-01-2006, 20:26
Oh, and on one memorable occasion, walking down Main Street in Hanover, I tucked my head under my arm, put finger to nose, and blew back this titanic snot rocket that damn near made landfull on this Dartmouth chick's Espadrille, much to her evident disgust.

I'm careful about that now, it's a small town and word gets around.

That might be the most humorous thing I've ever seen you post!:) ;)

RAT
11-01-2006, 20:27
I fart anytime i feel the need to no matter where I am or who I am around. That habit definitely formed itself on the trail ;-) lol

RAT

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2006, 20:27
Yeah, and to think there's folks here who think I have no sense of humor!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-01-2006, 21:59
Oh, and on one memorable occasion, walking down Main Street in Hanover, I tucked my head under my arm, put finger to nose, and blew back this titanic snot rocket that damn near made landfull on this Dartmouth chick's Espadrille, much to her evident disgust.That's funny.

Many years ago BC (before children), I stayed out most of the summer. When I would come back to town, it took me a week or so to remember to do things like comb my hair in the morning and I often slept on the floor or out on the balcony because the bed was just too soft / indoors just felt too stuffy. Since I was a college student, any strange eating habits were considered normal.... I imagine this is similar to what happens with thru-hikers.

freefall
11-01-2006, 22:14
My boss is constantly asking me if I have lost/broke my razor. It's been 3 months and I still can't back into the habit of shaving on a daily/regular basis.

And I don't worry about the weather, I just deal with it. Now that it's cold outside, I carry my fleece and my rain shell with me in my laptop case or on, just depending on what it's doing outside.

I also can't stand wearing cotton socks since hiking.

hopefulhiker
11-01-2006, 23:53
This is sort of embarrasing to admit but I was used to just pulling off the trail almost anywhere or anytime of day to take a pee.. For a few weeks after I got back home.. I would be walking along in the city and have to fight the urge to step off into some one's yard or somewhere to relieve myself.. It was like having to go through a kind of toilet training again..

Footslogger
11-02-2006, 09:56
I am more inclined to launch a snot rocket than to look for a bandana.

Bandanas now have a far higher meaning to me.

'Slogger