PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze Chat

ScottP
11-01-2006, 12:59
Would anyone else have any interest in a live chat section of whiteblaze?

http://www.freejavachat.com/

Gaiter
11-01-2006, 13:43
chat on whiteblaze, bad idea, do ya read the political threads? (which for all the guest reading whiteblaze, if you join there are some other forum sections that you can subscribe to, not to mention you can use the 'new post' button, and not have to read through everything.)

Cuffs
11-01-2006, 15:12
Maybe not a "bad" idea... Maybe set a time/date for chat. "Sundays @ 7" or whatever time/date... OR, if need be... "political chat, Tuesdays @6" "Thru hiking Mondays @9pm" "gear talk Fridays @2pm"

StarLyte
11-01-2006, 15:38
I think it's a great idea.

Count me in. Just announce the day(s) of the week and time(s).

Alligator
11-01-2006, 15:49
You mean like talk to people in real time:-? . That's freaky weird man. You trying to poke a hole in my bubble:eek: ?

Cuffs
11-01-2006, 16:04
There are several "sites" that host chat rooms. it doesnt have to be here on WB...

ShakeyLeggs
11-01-2006, 16:25
Ok I put a chat room on my site so we can see how it will work out. It is not fancy but it will allow us to test the idea. If it works out then we might be able to convince Attrol to put one up. Just click the link in my sig then the chat room link.

Topcat
11-01-2006, 17:12
the minnesota smith thread is basically a chat room on Saturday nights....it updates so much

I acutally like the idea

bfitz
11-06-2006, 00:49
chat on whiteblaze, bad idea, do ya read the political threads? (which for all the guest reading whiteblaze, if you join there are some other forum sections that you can subscribe to, not to mention you can use the 'new post' button, and not have to read through everything.)TRH, I think it might be fun, and I hope you're not hurt by the political threads, I enjoy your stuff and look forward to a long future of haranguing with you.

ShakeyLeggs
11-06-2006, 00:57
I had put up a chat room on my site so we could try it before we attempted to convince Attrol to put one up. But since there were no users I took it back down. If we could get some people to use it I would be willing to put it back up on a trial basis.

Just Jeff
11-06-2006, 01:36
Shakey - you'll probably want to schedule a day/time for folks to show up. And be sure to specify which time zone...

ShakeyLeggs
11-06-2006, 01:39
Shakey - you'll probably want to schedule a day/time for folks to show up. And be sure to specify which time zone...
Sounds like a plan I will work on it and let everyone know when.

Just Jeff
11-06-2006, 01:43
But like Alligator said, some folks on WB may not know how to relate to other humans in real time... :D

ShakeyLeggs
11-06-2006, 02:21
lol i know what ya mean. :D

By the way I put a very very lame java chat room up on my site if anyone wants to try it out just click on the link in my sig then go to the chat room on my site. I will plan a time for us to get together on it and post that here.

bfitz
11-06-2006, 02:29
Checked it out, nice idea.
Mabye we can discuss the elections there next week.:eek:

Gaiter
11-06-2006, 04:54
TRH, I think it might be fun, and I hope you're not hurt by the political threads, I enjoy your stuff and look forward to a long future of haranguing with you.

Definitly not hurt, to clarify i used that example because lately it has been getting very intense.

Footslogger
11-06-2006, 09:35
The "old" Trailplace.com website had live chat. It really did get out of hand at times. Worst of all, Wingfoot would get angry at some of the chat and shut the entire site down.

Also ...it would take a pretty fast server to handle all the traffic. My guess is that the rate/volume of live chat traffic would bog Whitblaze down and even cause it to lock up at times.

'Slogger

cuatro
01-28-2008, 18:18
just enjoy!

cuatro
01-28-2008, 18:19
any 07' thru-hikers

cuatro
01-28-2008, 18:20
hellooooo!

88BlueGT
01-28-2008, 23:55
I think that it would be a great idea... I don't see anything negative that would come out of it? I am part of many forums (other than backpacking forums) that have the live chat feature. Sometimes the chats can get 20 people in there, yea, it can get out of hand sometimes. Just trying to keep up with all the posts can make your head spin. But 99% of the time they are very nice and very helpful to some people.

JAK
01-29-2008, 00:02
It might take some pressure off of some threads. It would be interesting if some forum engine were developed that provided a hybrid of forum threads and chatrooms, where you could chat away within threads and only make permament posts if you were adding some content, or at lasting commentary. Many of my posts are just chatter, though I do come up with some real gems sometimes. :rolleyes:

Rain Man
01-29-2008, 12:33
chat on whiteblaze, bad idea, do ya read the political threads?

I agree. Unless the chat were _heavily_ moderated, it would wind up just being some narcissistic bags of hot air committing incest. IMHO.

Besides, ANYBODY who wants to start an AT chat room can go to Yahoo or somewhere similar and start a Group and schedule chats. No need to cast all that work off onto WhiteBlaze folks and limited WhiteBlaze resources. I'm guessing they stay plenty busy as it is.

Rain:sunMan

LIhikers
01-29-2008, 18:23
I don't type well enough to do chat. The topic would chaange before I could respond.