PDA

View Full Version : Montbell down inner jacket. Hikable?

oliander
11-01-2006, 14:27
Hey there,

I recently got one of those Montbell ultra-light down inner jackets, used for a great price.

I LOVE this thing! It is like wearing a sleeping bag without having all the "puffies." I just wear it around the office and my house all the time.

My question is whether you think it is good for backpacking trips. Obviously if it is rainy it will not do as well as my old softshell jacket. (I want to hike with something OTHER than that softshell jacket - it's way too bulky in my pack.) Also, I have no idea how breathable it is.

Guess I'll just have to try it out on the trail. But what is your experience?

Kerosene
11-01-2006, 18:19
Yep, definitely better suited for around camp than backpacking.

springerfever
11-01-2006, 19:44
I just picked one up also. Very high quality and incredibly light, mine weighs 7 3/4 ounces w/stuff sack. This will replace my MEC Northern Lite jacket that weighs 16 ounces. My compliments to Montbell for the design of this jacket...no frills, just a lightweight DWR finished nylon with 750 fill and a great 'cut' with sleeves the perfect length. Very comfortable.......and did I mention lightweight !

Excellent piece for once you reach your camp and, if necessary, can be worn or draped over you in your sleeping bag to boost temperature rating. Also makes a great pillow along with your other clothing.

hammock engineer
11-01-2006, 20:13
This is one of the jackets I looked at. Montbell has a synethic and down jacket that are similar and really lite. However they do not offer any XXL. I called and talked to someone at Montbell. They are going to release a synethic XXL in Feb or March.