PDA

View Full Version : Neel's Gap to Amicalola Question

rumbler
11-01-2006, 17:31
Looks like I am going to be able to split from work on Nov 13th (hooray!) and hit a trail for a week or so. For logistical simplicity, and in conjunction with another errand, I will probably do Neel’s gap to Amicalola, going southbound. Which raises two questions:Does anyone know the average evening temperatures in mid-November for that portion of the trail? And does anyone know of a shuttle service that will allow me to leave my car at the Springer trailhead and be dropped off at Walasi-Yi?

Thanks.

MOWGLI
11-01-2006, 17:36
And does anyone know of a shuttle service that will allow me to leave my car at the Springer trailhead and be dropped off at Walasi-Yi?

Thanks.

www.hikerhostel.com

general
11-01-2006, 18:52
fred woodward. call mountain crossings at neel gap and they can give you his #. temps could be anywhere from the 20's to the 70's. water sources have been low lately, but november is usually one of our wettest months.

rumbler
11-01-2006, 20:17
My very helpful local outfitter did this run last month and said the water situation was very sketchy. Hopefully the rains lately will help.

Thanks on the temps. Deciding how much down to pack.

Egads
11-01-2006, 21:52
I hiked SOBO from Neel Gap to the falls last month. There was water at Woods Hole, Jarrard Gap, Gooch Shelter, Justus Creek, Hawk Mtn Shelter, Long Falls, Three Forks, Stover Creek, Springer, & several more places on the way to Amicalola Falls. I carried 3 liters of water & never came close to running out before I found more on the trail.

You may consider starting further North as this took only 2-1/2 days of hiking and you have a week.

General is dead on with the temps. November can be cold, grey, wet, & windy; or warm & sunny with glorious blue skies.

Bring Orange to wear because it is hunting season.

Egads

rumbler
11-02-2006, 08:21
I hiked SOBO from Neel Gap to the falls last month. There was water at Woods Hole, Jarrard Gap, Gooch Shelter, Justus Creek, Hawk Mtn Shelter, Long Falls, Three Forks, Stover Creek, Springer, & several more places on the way to Amicalola Falls. I carried 3 liters of water & never came close to running out before I found more on the trail.

You may consider starting further North as this took only 2-1/2 days of hiking and you have a week.

General is dead on with the temps. November can be cold, grey, wet, & windy; or warm & sunny with glorious blue skies.

Bring Orange to wear because it is hunting season.

Egads

Have a week total, which includes a side venture or two. I might extend the trail time to four days. I hope to do the approach trail as well, which I missed on my thru.

Thanks for the water update, and especially the hunting alert. It's bow season here, but I hadn't really registered that fact intellectually.

bulldog49
11-02-2006, 10:17
Last week I hiked from Dick's Creek to Amicalola.

Night temps varied and several nights were quite windy, but never got below freezing. Water sources were good and no sign whatsoever of hunters. I did the section between Neels and Amicalola in just 2 1/2 days. Other than the hike up Blood Mt it's pretty easy. Highly recommend a stay at Gooch Mt Shelter.

bigmontana
11-02-2006, 11:12
Woodward for the shuttle... really nice guy. Will cost you $1 per mile. If you're going for a week I would suggest a longer hike unless you're going to hike very slow, in which case you need to be careful to locate water.

onesocktwin
11-02-2006, 12:22
Used Fred & Joyce Woodward last spring. 706-745-5188