PDA

View Full Version : Rabies on the AT

EarlyBird2007
11-02-2006, 11:46
Does anyone know if cases where hikers on the AT were bit by rabid animals? I just listened to a very scary story about a woman bitten by a rabid racoon in upstate NY. You can listen for yourself at this website: http://www.thisamericanlife.org Look for Episode 319. This American Life is an outstanding public radio show, by the way.

Moose2001
11-02-2006, 12:32
I know of a hiker in 2005 that was bitten by a rabid racoon at Pine Knob Shelter. She was sitting at the picnic table working on her journal when the racoon attacked her. Took two others to get the damn thing off her. She had the shots and kept hiking. Very brave woman.

Here's a link to her journal that gives all the details.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=107253

sleeveless
11-02-2006, 13:17
Jim,

I was the hiker Moose mentioned. It was a frightening experience and also a pain in the butt because i had to get off the trail and find hospitals 4 times to continue my rabies shots. It happened at the hottest time of the year and the sweat and dirt made it hard to keep clean and heal. I guess it makes for a good story when I talk about my thru hike and I have the scars to prove that it is not made up.

Sleeveless '05

icemanat95
11-02-2006, 13:17
Rob-O was bitten by a rabid raccoon in Port Clinton, right behind the pavillion. He went through a rather painful series of shots as a result and wound up with the name Rob-O-Raccoon.

Another woman was bitten and scratched by an aggressiove kitten near Dragon's Tooth. Her husband went out and found the kitten, shot it with a borrowed airgun and brought it in for testing. There was no evidence of rabies, but there was clearly something wrong with the cat. I believe the woman was treated for a number of things as a precaution.

This all happened in 1995.

Rabies is NOT uncommon out there in the forests of the US. It's there in populations of raccoons, skunks, coyotes and many other small mammal species. So stay away from critters that act funny. If you do get bitten, it may be worth your while to kill the beasty to bring it back for testing, this can be difficult and requires commitment to violent action and potential further injury, but the doctors will appreciate the certainty of knowing what to treat.

EarlyBird2007
11-02-2006, 13:50
Jim,

I was the hiker Moose mentioned. It was a frightening experience and also a pain in the butt because i had to get off the trail and find hospitals 4 times to continue my rabies shots. It happened at the hottest time of the year and the sweat and dirt made it hard to keep clean and heal. I guess it makes for a good story when I talk about my thru hike and I have the scars to prove that it is not made up.

Sleeveless '05
Thanks. Like the man said, very brave.

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 14:32
This, along with other animal-borne diseases (Hanta virus comes to mind, from mice) is another reason to stay away from shelters, or at least to tent/hammock outside of them if one wants to be part of shelter culture. I saw more wildlife (racoons, skunks, mice, a few cats, squirrels, juncos a/k/a ratbirds, jays and more) within 10 feet of shelters than on the rest of the trail combined.

The Weasel

rickb
11-02-2006, 20:30
Not rat birds, snow birds!

Please don't malign the Junco.

:eek:

The Weasel
11-02-2006, 20:34
Not rat birds, snow birds!
Please don't malign the Junco.:eek:

I loved my Juncos, just like I enjoyed the rest of the wildlife, particularly seeing them argue with each other over crumbs at shelters. But dang...getting chased down the trail by one, probably because I didn't spill enough oatmeal, was novel!

The Weasel

Gaiter
11-02-2006, 20:50
i have my shots, not going to bother me! But i was told if i were to be bitten that its advised to get a boster shoot. and any bite should be cleaned and cared for by a professional.

Miss Janet
11-02-2006, 20:57
My daughter was attacked by a fox at her Grandmothers house near the AT here in Erwin. Her Dad shot the crazy acting fox but we had some trouble getting the authorities to test for rabies. She had the rabies series as a precaution. Eventually the fox tested positive for raccoon rabies. Just remember that cute, fuzzy, normal, wild animals should be moving AWAY from you... if they are hanging around and approaching then be very careful!

Grampie
11-03-2006, 11:23
My daughter was attacked by a fox at her Grandmothers house near the AT here in Erwin. Her Dad shot the crazy acting fox but we had some trouble getting the authorities to test for rabies. She had the rabies series as a precaution. Eventually the fox tested positive for raccoon rabies. Just remember that cute, fuzzy, normal, wild animals should be moving AWAY from you... if they are hanging around and approaching then be very careful!

Miss Janet is so right. Any time a wild animal can be approached or does not run from you, you should suspect that it is rabid. :-?

BlackCloud
11-03-2006, 12:06
Miss Janet is so right. Any time a wild animal can be approached or does not run from you, you should suspect that it is rabid. :-?

Unless it's a skunk. On the AT in Shenandoah NP I had a skunk walk to within 20 feet of me. It was April, there was snow on the ground, I was standing downwind, very quietly, and he looked groggy as hell.

His eye sight was so bad, he finally got close enough to smell me, and turned around!

BlackCloud
11-03-2006, 12:08

Oh yea, and this isn't true for the goddam dear.

Or the "wild ponies" @ Mt. Rogers for that matter.

Miss Janet
11-03-2006, 15:39
[QUOTE=BlackCloud;265610]Oh yea, and this isn't true for the goddam dear.

I don't know about this particular breed of deer... they may be friendlier than most... besides I don't think dear carry rabies.

But what if they were all like this buck... No one could hike the AT through the Shenandoahs! Who would be afraid of a little bear then?
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/05/deerboxing.html

Michele
11-03-2006, 17:04
[quote=BlackCloud;265610]Oh yea, and this isn't true for the goddam dear.

I don't know about this particular breed of deer... they may be friendlier than most... besides I don't think dear carry rabies.

But what if they were all like this buck... No one could hike the AT through the Shenandoahs! Who would be afraid of a little bear then?

WOOOOOOOW!! That is one CRAZY video!!! Had to be during mating season huh? Wow......kicked that hunters ass!!

Jan LiteShoe
11-03-2006, 17:17
[quote=BlackCloud;265610]

That is one freaky video!
Man,that buck got in a few painful-looking shots too.

I'd never heard of a deer attacking with it's forefeet. However, given the rack, it's likely mating season, eh? Got hormones?

Did you know the Number One cause of death worldwide (at least it was in 1974) among zookeepers was not due to lions or tigers or bears but...camels? They would rear up and club down the unlucky keeper with their front hooves.

Don't moose do that too, use their forefeet?

Gaiter
11-03-2006, 17:43
haven't seen a deer actually attack some one, but did see similar actions from a deer like that at __________ (oh s&*t, umm the only shelter that still has the thing to collect water from the roof) He appearently had raised up and was swatting his legs like the one in the video to another hiker along the trail, but the hiker went into a submissive position, and the young buck went a way, but we both saw the buck later doing the same motions behind the shelter.