PDA

View Full Version : re: 2000 miler application

DavidNH
11-02-2006, 16:10
The ATC says that it can take up to 12 weeks to process applications for the AT 2000 miler certificate. I wonder how long it actually takes?

And why should it take so long? Even if this is all done by volunteers (and I suspect that it is) It is just a matter of reading over a two page questionaire, then using a computer to print out a certificate (and I suspect the ATC has the document stored and a color printer to boot) and enclosing a rocker. I can't see how the whole process would take more than 15 minutes. Even with a couple thousand applicants a season.. it should not be a long drawn out process. So what am I missing here?

I am also interested as to why the ATC does not require more extensive documentation. The Green Mountain Club, for example, requires more than just dates hiked. They expect a hike summary which makes things harder to fudge.

David

Lone Wolf
11-02-2006, 16:14
A 2 page questionaire? Can you PM me the answers so I can get one?:)

SGT Rock
11-02-2006, 16:16
Well they probably have more to do than just check applications. But my guess is they tell you 12 weeks just so you don't get pissed when it does take 12 weeks. Many places say things like that then you find out there is only a one week turn around, but they don't need hundreds of people calling about an application two weeks after they send them in.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2006, 16:18
In order to get one all applicants should have to report to the ATC and take a lie detector test.

SGT Rock
11-02-2006, 16:21
Hell, just make your own patch and certificate. That is my plan.

Alligator
11-02-2006, 16:29
In order to get one all applicants should have to report to the ATC and take a lie detector test.Very nice:clap .

Maybe they have more important things to do for the organization. Maybe they could use some help down there. They're volunteers, maybe they have other constraints on their time. Call it 1200 applicants times 10 minutes=12000 minutes=200 hours:-? .

Are you back in the busy world already David?

DavidNH
11-02-2006, 17:13
wow..seems some of you are rather defensive and sarcastic.

I was just asking an innocent question and comparing to my exprience on documenting my Long Trail hike.

Fortuantely, White Blaze is not the only place I can get my questions answered.

David

SGT Rock
11-02-2006, 17:21
Naw, not defensive. Just having fun.

But yes there are other places. Your choice. Seems we did answer the possible reasons why though. They have always said it was on the honor system. So why try to verify your honor?

max patch
11-02-2006, 17:23
David, don't let them bother you. Its the "in thing" to make fun of those who hike all the white blazes on many internet forums. I don't know how long it took for mine to arrive, but it wasn't anywhere near 12 weeks.

SGT Rock
11-02-2006, 17:25
No one made fun of him walking past all the white blazes max. In fact I don't see where that came up.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2006, 17:29
wow..seems some of you are rather defensive and sarcastic.

I was just asking an innocent question and comparing to my exprience on documenting my Long Trail hike.

Fortuantely, White Blaze is not the only place I can get my questions answered.

David

Call Laurie at the ATC for your answers. Or go to the very stuffy, anal and conservative website of trailplace.com and ask Danny.:D

SGT Rock
11-02-2006, 17:37
Yes Trailplace.com will probably answer your question in a much more serious way, but the information as to the "why" for the validation of your hike will probably not be any better in the long run than you got here. Laurie would probably be the best option for the right answer - and she is a member here too.

But don't post on that site this web address. That will get your post deleted and may end up with you banned.

Alligator
11-02-2006, 17:44
I hike past all the white blazes Max.

I thought it was a bit silly to be worried about how long it takes a bunch of volunteers to get you something.

A week or two ago I emailed a question to ATC. I figured I'd get an answer eventually and I did. I didn't worry too much about when that would happen though.

MOWGLI
11-02-2006, 18:04
I think I've told this here before. Here goes again...

A friend of mine was volunteering at the ATC office in Harpers Ferry. In walks a rather doughy gentlemen who announces that he has just finished the entire AT in two months.

My friend immediately smells a rat, but gives him a form to fill out. His answer to the question Trail Name was Appalachian Trail. :D

There were a number of other laughable answers that he gave. My friend always wondered what the guy actually did for two months while he was allegedly walking the AT. His family bought the story hook, line & sinker.

I know some (like Danny Boy) would be outraged by this behavior. It doesn't bother me in the least, and doesn't affect my hike one iota.

RITBlake
11-02-2006, 18:18

A friend of mine was volunteering at the ATC office in Harpers Ferry. In walks a rather doughy gentlemen who announces that he has just finished the entire AT in two months.

My friend immediately smells a rat, but gives him a form to fill out. His answer to the question Trail Name was Appalachian Trail. :D

There were a number of other laughable answers that he gave. My friend always wondered what the guy actually did for two months while he was allegedly walking the AT. His family bought the story hook, line & sinker.

I know some (like Danny Boy) would be outraged by this behavior. It doesn't bother me in the least, and doesn't affect my hike one iota.

Mowgli your post here made my head explode. This some kind of inside joke!!!???!!! :)

Sly
11-02-2006, 18:24
So what am I missing here?

Patience....

saimyoji
11-02-2006, 18:26
I think all the forms and documentation required are in place to keep the club "exclusive"..just makes for an extra hoop to jump through to get a piece of paper and some fabric...It kept me out..

Couldn't read the forms? :eek::D

Seriously though, if you don't care you don't care. If you do, great. No one can diminish the meaning of your hike unless you let them. A patch is certainly a poor reason to get upset. just mho

MOWGLI
11-02-2006, 18:38
Mowgli your post here made my head explode. This some kind of inside joke!!!???!!! :)

No, it's a true story.

A-Train
11-02-2006, 21:12
Question #19- Which state on the Appalachian Trail is your favorite?

Answer: Pennsylvania

This person is clearly lying and will not recieve a cerificate..

freefall
11-02-2006, 21:29
Question #19- Which state on the Appalachian Trail is your favorite?

Answer: Pennsylvania

This person is clearly lying and will not recieve a cerificate..

2 parter

Question #20- For those of you that answered Pennsylvania for question #19-
a)How many rocks/boulders are on Bake Oven Knob? and

b)Are there actual caves at the Pinnacle?

answers:
a) Chuck Norris has to count them `cause only he can count to infinity.

and

b) only if you want to call a crack in the rocks caves.

SGT Rock
11-03-2006, 01:53

I busted a gut reading that. Great illustration of how much the ATC really worries about it.

I think all the forms and documentation required are in place to keep the club "exclusive"..just makes for an extra hoop to jump through to get a piece of paper and some fabric...It kept me out..

This is one reason I think the ATC should never have gotten into the business of validating people's hikes. Just charge people for a rocker and be done with it - just like an ATC shirt or hat. Seems validating hikes only serves to create two extra subcultures - those that use the ATC to validate fake hikes like Mr. "Appalachian Trail" listed above, and people that get pissed off by Mr. "Appalachian Trail" lying about his hike.

And I am serious - I plan to make my own certificate and patch. That way it can say whatever I want it to say LOL.

MOWGLI
11-03-2006, 07:54
I busted a gut reading that. Great illustration of how much the ATC really worries about it.

Let me be clear that I'm not suggesting that this application was accepted by ATC.

In my opinion, ATC spends their time properly focused on the more important issues, such as protecting the trail and its corridor.

StarLyte
11-03-2006, 07:58
Let me be clear that I'm not suggesting that this application was accepted by ATC.

In my opinion, ATC spends their time properly focused on the more important issues, such as protecting the trail and its corridor.

Thank you for posting this Mowgli! :sun