PDA

View Full Version : A tip for keeping journal organized/accessible

freefall
11-02-2006, 22:30
I have often wanted to go back to a place in my trail journal but could not remember an exact date. Here is a small way to be able to get you where you need to be.

If you are using a digtal camera, make sure the date stamp is set accurately! I have found that it is far easier to look at a picture to trigger a memory. then once you are back in civilization and upload your pics to your computer, you can arrange them by date and search them. Once you have the date, you can go back through your journal and find the entry you are looking for.
It has helped me more than once when trying to remember specifics.

Just Jeff
11-02-2006, 23:57
Some cameras have a time stamp, too - help you remember if that was the lunch overlook or just another place you saw on the trail.

SGT Rock
11-03-2006, 02:06
Hey. Good tip. Especially considering I am such a numbnuts on this I leave the date stamp on and never shut it off - but I also never set the date correctly. So I have a lot of pictures with dates on them that occur in years or months I was not even on the trail.

Marta
11-03-2006, 07:41
I have been taking a lot of pictures on my hike--usually more than 20 a day. One of my every-evening tasks is to scroll through the pictures and make a note of what it is. My camera, a newish Fuji Finepix V10, gives each pictures a unique number, which is what I use to identify which picture I'm talking about. I record this in the PocketMail and, when I mail the picture card to my TJ transcriber, she can figure out who's who and what's what.

The time and date stamp also help, for sure.

It's a lot of work...

Oddjob
11-03-2006, 10:12
One of my every-evening tasks is to scroll through the pictures and make a note of what it is

I agree Marta, I always go through my digital pictures at the end of the day and make a note of what the picture is. Prevent's "I have no idea what the heck that is." moments when sharing your pictures after your hike, especially when some of the mountaintop views start to look very, very similar.

hammock engineer
11-03-2006, 11:05
One thing I do is take pictures of signs. That helps me when going back over my pictures later. The pictures taken after the sign where usually of what the sign said.