PDA

View Full Version : Longest straight through, thru hike ever?

woodsy
11-03-2006, 09:16
With alot of talk here about fastest thru hikes, how about the longest time period someone took to do a complete thru hike in one attempt.
Is it possible MS might attain this unglorified title if he ever completes his thru hike?

The Solemates
11-03-2006, 09:44
With alot of talk here about fastest thru hikes, how about the longest time period someone took to do a complete thru hike in one attempt.
Is it possible MS might attain this unglorified title if he ever completes his thru hike?

a spanish couple did a thorough hike in 03-04 which took 14 months.

Sly
11-03-2006, 10:12
Baevis took a full year to hike southbound 96-97 from June to June. No flip-flops, no slackpacking and no complaining....

woodsy
11-03-2006, 11:50
Looks like the only title MS will attain is that of being "The Ungratefull Critic".

Ender
11-03-2006, 13:07

Honestly, much as I find MS's rantings annoying, I think the idea of a long long thru-hike to be anything but unglorified. I wouldn't mind spending 14 months straight in the woods having fun.

RAT
11-03-2006, 17:42
Nope, that would be "Strider, The Trail Legend" back in mid 90`s, took him 18 months or more, know him well and was with him on many parts of it, can vouch that its true.

RAT

Topcat
11-03-2006, 20:13
Didnt Stumpknocker and Hippie Longstockings compete to make the longest thru hike a couple of years ago??

mweinstone
11-03-2006, 21:46
i envy ms being out there so long is a dream come tru.and hes not ungrateful or a critic. hes ms dammit!

now back to your rantings.

The Desperado
11-15-2006, 19:37
Stanimal may be very close for that title, ha ha

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 08:32
Baevis took a full year to hike southbound 96-97 from June to June. No flip-flops, no slackpacking and no complaining....

we ran into Beavis at Burt's Pub in Stowe recently.

JAK
08-21-2007, 09:00
I would imagine there might still be some people somewhere that travel
continuously the better part of their lives. I would like to think so anyway.

Mags
08-21-2007, 10:37
Does "OD Coyote" still hold this record? He also coined the original (though less used) term for slackpacking.

Interesting article on the concept of slow thru-hikes by him:
http://www.mountaingazette.com/article/511

(And the article that started it all, that is also interesting:
http://mountaingazette.com/article/423

Mountain Gazette is my favorite outdoor magazine. Outdoors as a lifestyle and not as a way to acquire outdoor toys. :)

DavidNH
08-21-2007, 11:32
a spanish couple did a thorough hike in 03-04 which took 14 months.

wow 14 months! how many zero days did they take I wonder? That also means hiking through the winter! How do you even stretch it out that long? maybe do 5 mile days? imagine the discipline that must take!

This couple deserves an award for sure!

David

Jim Adams
08-21-2007, 11:36
If I remember correctly, that couple stayed at every shelter and that was their plan from the start.
geek

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 11:38
that couple stayed at every shelter

that would totally and utterly suck.:eek:

Jim Adams
08-21-2007, 11:45
that would totally and utterly suck.:eek:

VERY TRUE L.W.! But I think that was the plan.
I remember hearing about them ahead on the trail when I was doing a little Georgia hiking that spring.

Could the best / longest hike be: doing the same daily mileage but NEVER stay in a shelter? Now that would rock!:D

geek

JAK
08-21-2007, 12:23
Shelters might not be so bad in the off season. There's something particularly beautiful about normally crowded places when they are deserted, like stadiums in the snow.

Does anyone prefer to do the AT in the winter, or is it just too icy in places I've thought of doing the Fundy Footpath mid winter but it is kinda crazy in places, and that was only as far as I got. I don't mind cold and wind and snow and ice, and I love the solitude, but some trails are best avoided in winter. Mostly because of the icy down slopes, but I've also even heard of deep water under snow and ice where you don't expect deep water to be. Even if you were the mountaineering type, which I am not, it might not be good for the trail either.

It might be a great way to slow down and take your time though.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 12:26
Shelters might not be so bad in the off season. There's something particularly beautiful about normally crowded places when they are deserted, like stadiums in the snow.

shelters are dirty, man-mades boxes that are out of place in the woods

max patch
08-21-2007, 12:46
If I remember correctly, that couple stayed at every shelter and that was their plan from the start.
geek

They had some 5 minute days in PA.

Unless the tandem shelters have all been destroyed.

Yahtzee
08-21-2007, 15:06

Was beginning to miss me some LW silliness. I stand corrected, the board is more interesting with LW than without. Just too bad he isn't as friendly online as he is in person. Methinks that may be the point.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2007, 15:11
Was beginning to miss me some LW silliness. I stand corrected, the board is more interesting with LW than without. Just too bad he isn't as friendly online as he is in person. Methinks that may be the point.

what's unfrienly about me loathing shelters?

Tha Wookie
08-21-2007, 15:25

That was so Muir

well put

Yahtzee
08-21-2007, 16:15
what's unfrienly about me loathing shelters?

Nothing, I guess. You're as sweet as ice cream, LW. At a diabetic convention.

Really, tho, your posts are more interesting than most, so I guess I'll learn to live w/ the repetitiveness of the content.

I do question your take on the LT, tho. The northern 70 miles are as blissful and beautiful as Maine. And just as slow.

Jim Adams
08-21-2007, 17:56
I do question your take on the LT, tho. The northern 70 miles are as blissful and beautiful as Maine. And just as slow.[/quote]

:D Yes but they are not Maine!

geek

fehchet
08-21-2007, 18:26
Yes Lone Wolf shelters are unnecessory except for a destinationm point. Some hikers think that way.

Dr O
08-21-2007, 19:31
Yes Lone Wolf shelters are unnecessory except for a destinationm point. Some hikers think that way.

Destination points are dirty places that are out of place in the woods. :p

springerfever
08-21-2007, 20:06
MAGS....

Thanks for posting these links....really makes you think about your priorities on a thru-hike.

Too bad the term--slack--packing has taken on a whole new meaning...... I much prefer the original defination.

http://www.mountaingazette.com/article/511
http://mountaingazette.com/article/423

These two articles are well worth printing and saving. Might be a good idea to enlarge the font.

Does anyone know what the O.D., in O.D. Coyote, stands for ??

Mags
08-22-2007, 10:25
MAGS....
....really makes you think about your priorities on a thru-hike.

To walk. To see. To see what I see. :)

I prefer the term "minimalist" to lightweight backpacking.

Minimalist puts less a priority on gear and more on simply taking less.

Thats my take, anyway.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2007, 10:51
I do question your take on the LT, tho. The northern 70 miles are as blissful and beautiful as Maine. And just as slow.

steeply climbing and descending all day through grown-over, unmaintained trail with no views is not my idea of beauty and bliss. it hardly resembles maine. guess we see things different

Yahtzee
08-22-2007, 13:08
steeply climbing and descending all day through grown-over, unmaintained trail with no views is not my idea of beauty and bliss. it hardly resembles maine. guess we see things different

Well, I was there in '04 and there wasn't much overgrowth (tho I remember a ton right past Maine Junction in '97). Anyway, I'll get to find out soon enough. Heading up to do the northern 80 miles over Labor Day. :banana