PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Thru Newby Gear Help Please

superflatz
11-03-2006, 11:06
I am planning a 2007 flip-flop thru hike next April, starting in Harper's Ferry NOBO, then returning to HF SOBO. I am 51 and will be hiking with my 49 year old teenage wife. I am 5'7" and the DW is 5'4" tall. We are newbies and don't any of the "big" items yet, so we are open to suggestions.

We would like to be as light as possible (duh!). Also, I am not independently wealthy but can handle nice stuff - I just can't afford to be repurchasing all the time.

1st the tent: Is there a good 2 person freestanding tent, possibly double lined (to reduce condensation), under 4 lbs? I've been checking out the tarptent, but don't know if it will work in all conditions (cold, hot and bugs). I can't do hammocks because I turn alot and mainly sleep on my stomach. We don't like bugs or things that like to snuggle into bed with us at night. Ideas, recommendations?

2nd the sleeping bags: Based on the time of year and our itinerary above, how about the sleeping bags? I sleep pretty warm and my DW sleeps pretty cool (figures, eh?). Down or synthetic? Truly I am worried about the possibility of the down getting wet accidentally - then being stuck! Is this worry valid? Based on my lack of experience, I'm afraid I'll do something totally stupid (a virtual certainty).

Any ideas on a backpack? I don't know whether an internal frame, external, or frameless would be best. We've never backpacked before. We plan to go to a good outfitter, just don't know where to begin.

I just retired and was looking for something to fill the "void"; and have been bitten by the hiking bug. I just don't want to get injured or discouraged because I bought the wrong stuff. I know everyone has their preferences; I am just looking to ideas from those that know. At this point, I am just guessing - and that won't work!

Sorry this is so long. Thanks in advance.
bob

eric_plano
11-03-2006, 11:44
Hi Superflatz,

1. Are you looking at the tarptent Rainbow2? I believe that would be a good tent under 4 lbs,free standing and has the clip in inner wall. There has been some discussion about needing to seam seal it well but I haven't heard much else that is negative. I have only used the Squall2, which is not freestanding, but I don't see any issues with bugs with the tarptents.

A good discussion on these w/lots of pics is @
http://http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836 (http://http//www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836)

2. Down/Synthetic bags is a preference. If you line your bag with a trashbag or compactor bag and take precautions it should be no problem. I have fallen in a riveror two and come out dry :)

3. Make sure you try on plenty of packs preferably with gear in them to get a feel(maybe save this purchase for last so you can see what fits your gear best). I started w/ a huge 5400 cubic inch internal frame (5lb pack!) in 2005 and it was serious overkill for me personally. Using a ULA P2 now and it fits comfortably and has an exceptable weight.

Good luck and I hope to see you out there!!

Jim Adams
11-03-2006, 12:03
tent-Kelty Gunnison-about 4.5-5lbs but lots of room for two and freestanding plus very storm worthy-dry.
sleeping bag-down is great as long as YOU keep it dry. can't have the attitude that i hope it's OK. spend money on a good bag-you can't hike good if you don't sleep good. error on the cold side and go with a o*-15*. marmot helium is 15* and very light and packs small. use a second light, cheaper bag for hot weather 45*-50*.
pack-don't go too big with your pack however it is more difficult to accept that everything you need will fit into a small one when you are a novice. i like the gregory G pack but thats just my opinion.
SHOP SELECTIVELY and learn as much as you can before seeing an outfitter. most of the outfitters on and along the trail will steer you right for what is needed for a thru hike. get 100 to 200 miles from the AT and most outfitters don't have a clue what is needed on the AT.
geek

DrewNC2005
11-03-2006, 12:10
Let me start by saying that you should tackle the chore of shelter and bag selection (and maybe others like stove, filter, etc.) prior to deciding upon a pack. The idea is to take your gear you will hike with to try on the pack of choice. That way, you will know exactly how the pack fits with your gear you'll be hiking with.

Regarding the shelter, don't be afraid of single wall shelters (the good ones anyway). I live in the south and hike in very humid areas of western NC. That said, even with the single wall shelters I've used and continue to use (Black Diamond Megalight and Tarptent Rainshadow 2), condensation is a nonfactor. Others may disagree, but that is my experience. As Eric mentioned, you may want to seriously look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow. It is freestanding, super light, and if it even comes close to the construction of the Tarptent I own, it is a high quality piece of gear.

As for the down v. synthetic question, again, that is personal preference. I would say that most on this site will point you in the direction of down (myself included). It's lighter, typically more compressible, and if you take care of it, will last longer than synthetic. I have never had an issue with keeping my bag dry. Take reasonable measures (pack liner and/or pack cover) to ensure its safety, and it'll stay dry. Specifically, I recommend Western Mountaineering and Mont-Bell as companies that make great down bags. I have experience with both and they make awesome bags. They are definitely on the upper end of the price scale but I doubt you'd have to buy another one in your lifetime.

After you settle on those and other items, take a look at the ULA packs. I went out on a limb when I bought my Circuit because I had no opportunity to try it on prior to purchasing it. However, it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made with respect to gear purchases. I love the pack and it fits like a glove. It is adjustable, functional, feature rich, and lightweight. That said, a pack is very person-specific. One will fit person A much different than person B. So, if at all possible, take all of your gear to an outfitter, load up several packs, and walk around for a while. That is the ultimate way to figure out if it will work or not.

superflatz
11-03-2006, 12:38
Do tarptents offer bug free atmosphere for no seeums and mosquitos? How about high wind and rain?

Also, the trash compactor bags i've seen are fairly small. How do you arrange them in your pack to fit all you carry, and seal them from getting waterlogged in high rain or even if you fall into a stream as others have mentioned?

eric_plano
11-03-2006, 12:52
You sbhould not have any problems with bugs in a tarptent as long as you close the mesh door :) In the link I posted several of the pictures show a storm configuration I believe along with some comments on how it faired.

For the trash bag you simply want it to line your pack and then load your gear. Then you can knot it or use a tie off. I have never used the trash compactor bag, just a heavy duty garbage bag. I normally use a pack cover in heavy rain as well.

Oddjob
11-03-2006, 13:01
Congratulations on the recent retirement Superflatz! I will toss in my suggestions on what works/doesn't work for my girlfriend and I when we hike together, I am 5'10'' and she is 5'1''.

1. Tent: We use the GoLite Trig 2. I love it, it is light at 2lbs 15oz (stakes included) and has held up pretty well for over a year now. It has seen its share of wet/cold nights and has shown to be very durable. I especially enjoy the stuff sack which makes breaking camp very quick. The only bad thing about this tent is that it was a little bit small for two people with packs inside. I thought it was sufficient, but I am a stay-put sleeper, she is a fish out of water style sleeper and found it to be a tad constrained. All in all a great tent:
http://www.golite.com/products/NS_proddetail.asp?number=SH6012

2. Sleeping Bags -- can't really help you there, what type of bag is good for you depends on you, its more a personal preferance than anything. The biggest differance being the degree rating.

3. Backpack: I use an Osprey Atmos 60. I love it. The vented back panel is worth its weight in gold (allows your back to "breathe") -- good for those who sweat alot. I found it had more than enough room for a week long solo, and almost too much room for a week long dual trip even when I carry most of the dual purpose gear. The specs on this pack are ~3500 ci, 3lbs 1oz. This pack is contoured very well for me (slim build - approx 145 lbs) and feels like an extension of my body (its that comfortable!) http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/73/Atmos65/
. She uses an Kelty somethingorother, whatchamacalit? I can't remember the model name. Its a 3,000cui pack, more than enough space, small enough for her frame.

Hope this helps.
Where do you live?, perhaps people on this board can direct you to a reputable outfitter near you where you can get going in the right direction.

superflatz
11-03-2006, 13:40
We actually sold our house when I retired a year ago and full-time rv now. Our kids and grandkids are in north Houston, so I guess that could be called "home".

I love the freedom of going where we want, when we want with no real-estate obligations.

Now we are in Myrtle Beach, SC (not much for hiking here), but will be heading to Houston for the holidays in about a week.

bob

hopefulhiker
11-03-2006, 19:07
I am 50 and was a Newb in 2005.

1. I would go with the Tarp tent or Six Moons design

2. I prefer down... just keep it dry.. It worked well for me Also check out the insulated air mattresses. Big Agnes and Outdoor Pacific insulmat...

3. Packs are very personal, I used the Luxury Lite external frame because I have had back issues.. I would measure my torso and try one on.. I saw a lot of Vapor Trails out there last year. Also look at the Gossamer Gear products and the Golite products..

superflatz
11-03-2006, 22:50
I've checked out the Vapor Trail but can't find where you'd put water bottles for using while walking. Am I missing something?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-03-2006, 23:58
As for tents, the Double Rainbow or Six moon Lunar Duo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47) are both excellent tents.

We are section hikers and I'm not sure I'd trust my tent on a thru hike. We carry a tarp and a double bivy tent. This lets us rig the tarp and have a nice dry place to set up the tent, keep our gear dry, cook and dry out clothes / shoes. Our 10' x 12' silnylon tarp weights 19 ozs. The two person bivy tent (no vestibule) weighs 3 lbs. So for four lbs, 3 ozs we have all kinds of dry space and a cozy little bug-free bedroom for two. The rain fly on the bivy pulls back to leave the bugnet roof exposed in warm weather.

We use a homemade quilt (synthetic insulation) - he sleeps hot, I sleep cold. The quilt has more insulation on my side. We use insulated inflated mats. His - Thermorest Prolite4. Mine - Big Agnes insulated Air-Core.

For packs - get your other gear and then find a pack that is comfortable for you and will hold your gear.

superflatz
11-04-2006, 10:46
So, you put your tent under the tarp? Very interesting. Kind of covers all bases, doesn't it? Anyone else do this?

saimyoji
11-04-2006, 10:58
So, you put your tent under the tarp? Very interesting. Kind of covers all bases, doesn't it? Anyone else do this?

I will be doing this the next couple times I'm out. Reason: tent has recently proven unworthy in rain and I'm trying to find the perfect solution. For now, this will have to do.

sparky2000
11-04-2006, 11:32
I've had a hard time fighting with what I thought was necessary comfort - such as 3 lb. tent and 4 lb. backpack - now I've realized that the bugs aren't a problem with skin-so-soft around one's face; the tarp like rain protection (1 lb.) is as good as the wrap around plastic of a tent; the thermarest (13oz.) is a must with a sleeping bag keeping one off the ground and the dampness; less then 2lb. for a backpack with 3k c.i. is adequate. The lighter factor is weight off one's knees and ankles. After about two weeks of hiking the middle weight disapears but the pack weight stays about the same....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-04-2006, 13:17
So, you put your tent under the tarp? Very interesting. Kind of covers all bases, doesn't it? Anyone else do this?The female dino has some ortho-issues which make it necessary for her to crawl to a solid object to get up after crawling out of the tent - so we tarp over the tent so she doesn't have to crawl around in mud.