PDA

View Full Version : Svea 123R - discontinued?

Minot
11-03-2006, 15:23
I may be behind the curve on this one, but has the Svea 123R been discontinued?

I hope not. It's a great stove, but not techy enough for some, I guess.

ardeaitch
11-04-2006, 08:17
I don't know whether they've been discontinued or not, but packstoves.com is selling them. I just bought a windscreen for my 123 from these folks and recommend them.
R

- It looks like it has been discontinued... no sign of it on the Optimus webpages.
R

Minot
11-04-2006, 22:32
My hunch is that they have quit making them. I ordered one from packstoves before I posted.

I hadn't seen any mention of it on this or any other site. I don't know when they stopped.

I first got a suspicion when I looked at the Optimus website and didn't see the Svea on there. I checked some other suppliers and they are "discontinued" and "out of stock." I didn't know if the discontinued meant they weren't carrying them anymore or Optimus quit making them. Looks like they aren't making them anymore.

It's a shame because they were great little stoves and bulletproof. I ordered a new one because I want to have one in the box to give my grandkids. If they don't want it, I'll keep it!

Weldman
11-07-2006, 00:02
Minot,

Refer to this website, they still sell it and spare parts.

http://packstoves.com/index.htm

I still have my 25yr old and a 8R

Mike

Minot
11-07-2006, 18:32
Weldman,

Thanks. That's where I just ordered my new Svea. I also ordered one of the 8R Russian imitations.

I always wanted to get one but I guess I waited to soon to get a new, original 8R.

It's a shame about the Svea being discontinued. End of a long era.

Weldman
11-08-2006, 00:25
Minot,

When you ordered your Svea, did Pack stove or Optimus tell you that the Svea was discontinued. Maybe Optimus and their dealers stop selling them, since most backpackers are going UL. I'm sure Pack Stove has a good supply of Svea's in stock. When I called Brunton they refer me to Pack stove

Also I pick up my 8R at a big antique swap meet 4 yrs ago for $5. The seller had no idea what they had, looked just like new. Have not seen the Russian one before. I know the Marines used the 8R's in the 70's and early 80's

Here's a tip, use the new Coleman Fuel in the red Plastic Quart bottle ( better mixture), burns hotter in both stoves less boiling time.

Mike

Minot
11-08-2006, 22:50
I ordered online so I didn't talk to anyone.

However, since I last posted, I received a reply to my email sent to Optimus.

They said they ceased production due to low demand. They couldn't afford to keep making them.

According to the reply, they will start up production if they get enough orders.

I doubt if a lot of people waiting to buy a Svea would put in an order and then wait for until Optimus makes a batch.

Looks like we've seen the last of them.

It's a shame. I know they aren't space age, but they sure had some personality and were downright dependable.